The Master's degree- The worst $25k a CRA can spend?

Comments (4)

Senior CRA in Morrisville, North Carolina

18 months ago

I got a Master's degree a few years ago as a Senior CRA and since adding the MS to my name, I really haven't seen any returns on my investment. I keep telling myself that when it's time to get promoted into management or another role, it might give me a slight edge over another person, so maybe it'll pay off later. Of course, I gained a wealth of knowledge and soft-skills like discipline and ability to handle a career and full-time schooling, but I really hoped the degree would pay off in a new job or a raise.

Has your Master's degree paid off?

If so, I'd like to hear more from you about how you got your degree to work for you in the field of research. Also, since different countries value degrees differently, I'd be interested in knowing where you work. (For example, Canada values a highly educated workforce and every time I monitor in Canada the investigators are happy to see someone with an advanced degree, but here in the USA, the Master's degree seems to be worthless).

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

Senior CRA in Morrisville, North Carolina said: I got a Master's degree a few years ago as a Senior CRA and since adding the MS to my name, I really haven't seen any returns on my investment. I keep telling myself that when it's time to get promoted into management or another role, it might give me a slight edge over another person, so maybe it'll pay off later. Of course, I gained a wealth of knowledge and soft-skills like discipline and ability to handle a career and full-time schooling, but I really hoped the degree would pay off in a new job or a raise.

If so, I'd like to hear more from you about how you got your degree to work for you in the field of research. Also, since different countries value degrees differently, I'd be interested in knowing where you work. (For example, Canada values a highly educated workforce and every time I monitor in Canada the investigators are happy to see someone with an advanced degree, but here in the USA, the Master's degree seems to be worthless).

Well, I have an MBA and I keep it OFF my resume unless the position specifically wants it.

The MBA is old, I am old and I don't want to instantly be labeled as "overqualified".

I am not sure about CRA but an advanced degree without real world experience is often a losing investment today.

Mather

18 months ago

I agree with Bluetea.

In the USA, a Master's degree without experience in the field is practically useless. In other countries, a Master's in Pharmacology may be seen as a benefit, but in the USA, HR staff will go directly to your last job and if it wasn't a job in clinical research, your resume won't get you any further. Of course there are hundreds of different jobs that you can get as a stepping stone into clinical research, but getting a Master's degree will make you look overqualified.

The solution? Think before you get a Master's degree. An extra degree does not buy opportunity.

ck in Lowell, Massachusetts

15 months ago

HellO Mather and Senior CRA,

Although I agree with both of you that Masters degree without experience does NOT count, I am still hoping that Masters degree in combination with experience helps keep the JOB in bad economy.

I have been in Pharmaceutical industry for 5 years and could not successfully get into a CRA creer that I really badly wanted. Now I am working in Regulatory however still continuing my MASTERS that I had started 3 years ago in MS in clinical Research. I guess my company is paying some of the expenses of MS however as I said It should help in KEEPING a steady job in BAD economy ....it has happend to couple of my friends so it will not go to waste.

However, EXPERIENCE is what counts the MOST and best. I am still hoping to get a job in CRA field or go upwards or forward in regulatory field ....

overall - if company pays for my MS , i think it is worth getting that extra degree

Senior CRA in Morrisville, North Carolina said: I got a Master's degree a few years ago as a Senior CRA and since adding the MS to my name, I really haven't seen any returns on my investment . I keep telling myself that when it's time to get promoted into management or another role, it might give me a slight edge over another person, so maybe it'll pay off later. Of course, I gained a wealth of knowledge and soft-skills like discipline and ability to handle a career and full-time schooling, but I really hoped the degree would pay off in a new job or a raise.

If so, I'd like to hear more from you about how you got your degree to work for you in the field of research. Also, since different countries value degrees differently, I'd be interested in knowing where you work. (For example, Canada values a highly educated workforce and every time I monitor in Canada the investigators are happy to see someone with an advanced degree, but here in the USA, the Master's degree seems to be worthless).[/QUO

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.