Men in Clinical research?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Mike in Waxhaw, North Carolina

45 months ago

I am set to graduate soon with a BSCR and I have noticed a large amount of woman in this major. I don't mean to sound sexiest I am just curious if this carries over in the field. And if so why? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sadua in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

What is a BSCR? Is that your school's abbreviation for a BS in Clinical Research?

The field of clinical research is dominated by women. For positions that require a bachelors and less than 10 years experience (like CRC, CRA, team/project managers), I would estimate these positions are filled by 80% women, give or take.

Why? The most desirable candidate for a CRC or CRA job is someone with a RN, BSN and women are the predominant holders of this degree.

This is the case in the USA, but in other countries like India, for example, women are still much more oppressed. Because the CRA job requires so much travel, it is very infrequent to see an woman monitoring in India because of social pressure, oppression and expectations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Waxhaw, North Carolina

45 months ago

I have no problem with women in the field I was just curious as why. Thanks!

Izzie in Wilmington, North Carolina

45 months ago

Clinical research is dominated by women.

I would estimate that 90% of CRCs, 80% of CRA, 75% of CTMs are women. I think the place where I see the most men is in regulatory affairs and in data management.

I think the reason why is because nursing experience is one of the best ways to land an entry-level position.

BTW, I don't recommend using the abbreviation BSCR out in the field because it isn't recognized in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

WheelerMC in Wilmington, North Carolina

39 months ago

Hope your job hunt is going well Mike. I am a 2010 graduate and have found nothing yet.

jersey in Duanesburg, New York

33 months ago

Part of the reason this field is female-dominated, and not to sound sexist, but I could literally count on one hand the number of male monitors I have met who were good at their jobs. The reason, I believe, is that men are too analytical. They spend too much time analyzing, rather than just getting down and doing the work. They spend too much time talking about the issues rather than just doing something about it (God forbit you have two of them together in one room). They typically are not good at multi-tasking or managing their time, and they don't focus well. And they can't go a full day without eating (hahahaha). The men also tend to be less approachable and people-oriented and not able to forge good relationships with the study coordinators. Honestly this is the way men are hard-wired, it's not a sexist thing. I really cannot stand working with men in this field. In an office job, I prefer working with men because they generally are easier to get along with...they don't take everything personally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Seattle, Washington

33 months ago

I'm so glad this thread was created! As a male who has certainly noticed this as well, I've always been curious as to why and how it will affect my career. To Jersey who gave the response above, thank you for your opinion -although it's certainly a generalization of males, I know what you are talking about.

My question is this: if a guy works hard at not having the issues Jersey talks about, is he still at a disadvantage for the hiring process due to his gender? As in, will a hiring person prefer to choose a woman for an interview/job unless they already know what the male is like personally?

I've heard some women tell me it's actually a good thing that I'm a minority and that it will help me move up the ladder faster. Were they just trying to make me feel better and is it really the opposite?

Ryan in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

Only a very small percentage of CRA's are RN/BSN's.

The real reason CRA's are nearly all women is because the entry level jobs that lead to becoming a CRA are basically Glorified Administrative assistants positions, and nobody will hire a man to do it. I've had 2 recruiters tell me this.

One lady after an interview told my recruiter than I was "kinda intense" lol.

CRA is a pretty cushy job that for some reason pays well despite requiring very little understanding of science or medicine. My experience is on the frontlines of biomedical science collecting and analyzing biomed research data taken from human subjects in a lab setting at UPenn. I was also previously a research coordinator there and at Pitt, so I have plenty of experience in study design and regulatory document management and construction, but apparently I can't be a CRA for Glaxo, Covance, etc.

I've worked closely with corporate CRA's and not only does taking that job seriously seem to be optional, but they're also usually ditzes who talk like they're still in the sorority house.

I've stayed in academia. The money's a little less but it's nice to be around bright minds who don't care if you're male or female. We have male administrative assistants and research coordinators here, and female research techs and physicians.

Do yourself a favor: don't even bother trying to become a male CRA in corporate. You'll be seen as too practical, frank, and demanding. Honestly, I've had 3 interviews and I felt like I was on The View each time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SAE4ME in Atlanta, Georgia

5 months ago

I'm a guy, with ~ 10 years field monitoring experience , before transitioning to more of a Lead CRA role. I've always had great relationships with my sites & I'm proud to say I've cleaned up more than just a few CRA's messes, & repaired relationships between the sponsor & site staff, & I've never felt being a guy help me back, either at interviews or at sites. I never gave it a moments' thought actually & I've never felt any prejudice, I guess I've always been too focused on my presentation & performance. Most of the CRCs with whom I've had the privelege to work have good relationships with me, to this day. It's a small world & I enjoy seeing them at professional events such as Investigator Meetings & conferences. Men/women have different strengths/weaknesses that they bring into each situation, it's all about using your strengths to win & managing your weaknesses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.