How to get CRA certificate?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 133 of 133)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Nan in Jersey City, New Jersey

58 months ago

Loren in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi don,

When I got hired at Cocance, I took a great training course. I also hear PPD and quintiles have CRA training programs. You get paid your normal rate all thru training.

Hi Loren,
Can you please tell me which training course did you take.Do you know how to apply to Quintiles for CRA training programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vivek singh in Charleston, South Carolina

58 months ago

Hi Parul,
I am a student of MS in clinical research. do you have any information about CRA job and application?
Kindly contact me on singhvivekdr@yahoo.co.in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Alden, New York

54 months ago

DWF in Michigan said: To become certified through an organization, eg, ACRP (Association of Clinical Research Professionals) or SoCRA (Society of Clinical Research Associates) you must have clinical research experience. The experience can be either in a clinic setting as a Clinical Research Coordinator or some other clinic role, or working in the pharmaceutical industry. I have my experience working for a big pharma company for many years in roles in study management. It can be any role in clinical research as long as someone in HR or a manager will attest to your years of experience in writing. You must have this documentation to sit for their exams. I'm not sure how many years they require. You'll have to check their websites. You can also sit for the exam with a combination of education and fewer years of experience. This requires some type of formal educational training. Once you've provided all the documentation and paid the fee to take the exam, they'll send you 'study material.'

To get the formal training I mentioned, many Universities offer graduate certificates and masters programs in Clinical Research Administration. The certificates generally take about a year to complete. Many of these courses are now offered online.

I would Like to be a Clinic Corrdnator

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

meggzy in Stoughton, Massachusetts

49 months ago

Hi,

I've been working in the biotech industry for 8-9 years, specifically in-vivo DMPK. I'm interested in obtaining the CRA certification, but not quite sure where to start - or if it is even worth my time, given that all my work experience is the preclinical environment.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Yours turkey in Whittier, California

49 months ago

The CRA certification is primarily based in human subjects research, so I don't feel it'll bebenificial unless you are considering a career change.

If you want to make a move out of preclinical, first determine if you are eligible to take the test. Most commonly, you need a Bachelirs degree AND 2+ years of full time monitoring experience. A full description of the requirements are on the online manual.

Then, schedule a date/time using ACRP's website. The manual tells you what to study so no courses are needed. You can buy practice flash cards or practice tests online if you want.

The test is easy and concentrates on real-life scenarios like, "what would you do when something happens and it puts a patient in danger?". Or "what would you do if the physician does this?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Chicago, Illinois

47 months ago

I got my certification as Emerging Clinical Research Professional (ECRP) from Clinical Research Society. My CV gets so much more attention since I did that.
Sam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bianca in Cambridge, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Bhavin Bhavsar in Norwich, Connecticut said: hey kavita,
i am interested in training for CRA in the NJ OR NY OR MA OR CT area. can you please suggest me the names of the places through email. My email is bhavin39@gmail.com
Looking forward for your help

Thanks
Bhavin

I am interested in trainig for CRA in MA. Do you know a good program in Boston?
My email is biancafm_@hotmail.com
Looking forward for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aan idk in topeka, Kansas

41 months ago

Hi

my name is palak. I am a Pharm D. graduate from India and looking to do CRA in US. Does anyone know anything about Clinical Research certificate program at Boston University.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

WTS in Pleasant View, Colorado

41 months ago

Palak, in the USA, certificates from training institutes are not valued. I would suggest a Master's degree program if you only had a bachelor's degree, but that would be a step down for you.

I would leverage your CRA experience from India to get a transfer to the US.

I would not move to the US if you do not have previous CRA experience. Inexperienced CRAs are not being recruited heavily at this time.

davidchilton in League City, Texas

39 months ago

Mavis in Ottawa, Ontario said: Should I just take an online course or is there an exam for it? Thanks in advance!

I took a CRA Certification course at Kriger Research Group International. It was very thoughrough and too about 3 months for complete. I had to pass a very exaustive test in the end.

My question is: "Is the Kriger certification program as accepted as cocra and acrp cert programs?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

David C

Mather in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Comparing Kriger to ACRP/SoCRA is like comparing apples to oranges.

Kriger gives a certificate for course completion- this is not equivalent or comparable to professional certification. Kriger is not a professional organization- it's a for-profit training company. Completing a CRA training program is great, but none of these courses provide a recognized professional certification. Kriger can be used as a part of your preparations for sitting for the tests or for securing the work experience needed to sit for the exam.

anushre in Haymarket, Virginia

38 months ago

Hi,

I would like to get CRA experience to work as CRA. How can I get CRA experience? All of the jobs require 1-2 years of experience. I have worked in a pharmaceutical company in product development for over 11 years. I have MS degree in pharmaceutical Science and bachelor in Pharmacy. Please kindly email me at anushre@hotmail.com if you have any information. I would be greatful.

Thank you,
anushre

Mather in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Hi Anushre,

Getting started as a new CRA is tough. The vast majority of job posts are only looking for experienced candidates, but there are a few posts out there that are willing to accept entry level candidates. The most common requirements for an entry level CRA candidate is a Bachelor of Science degree and at least two years of CRC experience. CRC experience is the best way to break into the field.

My suggestion is to do an nationwide search for entry level CRA positions- the positions are out there! I had to move out of state to get my chance and take a pay cut, but now it's all worth those sacrifices.

nam81 in White Plains, New York

37 months ago

Kavita misra in Newark, New Jersey said: I am aware of some training opportunities available at well established hospitals and CRO's in New jersey area. Interested people, contact me

Hi Kavita,

I'm interested for training opportunities in NJ. You can reach me at thakkarbakula@yahoo.com

P Singh in Princeton, New Jersey

37 months ago

I am interested too. My Email is parulsyun@gmail.com

vivek singh in Charleston, South Carolina

37 months ago

is it just the training or job opportunities are also there? please fell free to contact me on singhvivekdr@yahoo.co.in

P Singh in Princeton, New Jersey

37 months ago

Hi Kavita,

I am interested in Training opportunities.Contact me at parulsyun@gmail.com

CharmYaChicago in Schaumburg, Illinois

28 months ago

DWF in Michigan said: I forgot to mention that neither being certified by an association nor obtaining a graduate certificate or masters degree will necessarily help with landing a CRA position. Most CROs and pharmas require direct field monitoring experience. I have 18 years in study management, a graduate certificate, and am certified by one of these organizations and I'm having trouble finding a CRA position. You need to find that one company that will give you a break or probably the best way is to work as an in-house CRA for a CRO.

Try SI Bone, company they are hiring a CRA thats why I look this up to see exactly what I needed if I wanted to get started in this field, I love to research. Check into I Fuse System, a stabilization for SI joints.

drk in Los Angeles, California

23 months ago

Hi, I have same question...and besides that..I am a chiropractor and feel I will automatically be discrimated against. Anyone know anything about that?

nacho Libre in Great Neck, New York said: Hi Guys:
Does anyone out there know the BEST programs in the countries for becoming a CRA? I hear a lot of talk about programs that are scams but what about the ones that are reputable.

Also, is there a book or online publicaiton which would discuss the CRA industry and titles, players and roles involved. Before I make a career switch I want to see precisely what this is going to involve.

Thanks
Nacho

23 months ago

Mather in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hi Anushre,

Getting started as a new CRA is tough. The vast majority of job posts are only looking for experienced candidates, but there are a few posts out there that are willing to accept entry level candidates. The most common requirements for an entry level CRA candidate is a Bachelor of Science degree and at least two years of CRC experience. CRC experience is the best way to break into the field.

My suggestion is to do an nationwide search for entry level CRA positions- the positions are out there! I had to move out of state to get my chance and take a pay cut, but now it's all worth those sacrifices.

Hi Anushre....thanks for info..my question is...so CRC is level below the CRA...a person starts as a CRC? What are the best schools and do you have a sense of , given the economy, career outlook? Also, I am a chiropractor and definitely feel since I have sent no less than 4000 resumes to pharma, biotech, medical device companies and been rejected....I will similarily be discriminated negatively against...like a losing battle..I would love to be proven wrong. What are starting salaries..like 45-55k? Is there potential to make 85k+ or is that only for managers. I am a doctor, have a BS and an MPH..so not sure how I would be viewed.

23 months ago

Mather in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Comparing Kriger to ACRP/SoCRA is like comparing apples to oranges.

Kriger gives a certificate for course completion- this is not equivalent or comparable to professional certification. Kriger is not a professional organization- it's a for-profit training company. Completing a CRA training program is great, but none of these courses provide a recognized professional certification. Kriger can be used as a part of your preparations for sitting for the tests or for securing the work experience needed to sit for the exam.

Thanks Mather..so how does one get certification? What are most reputable schools, how long does it take and also does it provide at least enough of practical work experience that a company would take you on. Also, is having clinical patient experience for over 15 years any advantage...I was in chronic pain management...thanks.

23 months ago

David Chilton in League City, Texas said: I took a CRA Certification course at Kriger Research Group International . It was very thoughrough and too about 3 months for complete. I had to pass a very exaustive test in the end.

My question is: "Is the Kriger certification program as accepted as cocra and acrp cert programs?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

David C

David, what have you found since doing this course in terms of what other steps academically or otherwise did you need to take..did you find that just the 3 month Kriger certification was enough to get you in door? I heard after the 3 month certification, there is an 8 month internship that is nonpaid but they connect you with companies..not sure what level of elite these companies are (Medtronics..etc)....but as Mather said, it appears it is a stepping stone for some other professional certification one must sit for ...it seems that when you study and take a test, that should be enuf..to have to again sit for a test after a test...it makes me wonder if Kriger is not legit and some other place would be more direct route..very curious about your path / history since then as I am looking into doing this same course recommended to me by ebrecruiters..not sure if they themselves are connected with Kriger. Thanks for your input..

SAE4ME in Atlanta, Georgia

22 months ago

There's at least one large CRO now that hires Clinical Research Assistants who indicate an interest in becoming a CRA. Clinical Research Assistants collect & review regulatory documents for study start-up, help sites manage their study supplies, update project-management style trackers to track queries & percentage of sites activated, etc. After a couple of years they stand a decent chance of being accepted for internal entry-level CRA positions. From my perspective, it seems to work out well. CRAs come over from the Clinical Assistant site already knowing the sponsors, Project Managers, sites & other CRAs, & they have hands-on, professional experience with regulatory documents, EDC systems, escalation processes, etc. After a one-week or so internal CRA training workshop covering drug accountability , source documents, trip report writing, etc. they tend to do well.

So the best advice I can give is, do your research to find CROs who take this approach for their Clinical Administration staff, move to one of the large cites that are a "hub" for clinical research, & start applying for these ClinAdmin roles. You'll be progressing faster towards being a CRA that you will sending out applications for CRA positions that ask for 3 years previous experience while you're working in academia or as a CRC, or paying to take an expensive course that only yields a certificate & no experience.

Ernie S. in Concord, California

17 months ago

Although I am not in the Chiropractic field, I have not heard that it can cause any discrimination for you to get into clinical research. I would think that a degree in science / medical field and some experience in the industry should get you into a CRA position. Most employers will ask for 1-2 years of clinical research experience.

To get that experience, a Clinical Trial Associate (CTA) role with a sponsor company or a Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) role at a site may be an option. That was how I got into my initial CRA role. I was a CRC at a hospital for 3.5 years before progressing into a CRA role at a sponsor company. The CRC experience was really helpful for me to learn how to run a trial at a clinical site, which came in handy later on as I monitor sites as a CRA.

To learn more about the work and career as a CRA, check out my website at www.clinicalresearchassociatecra.com/

Ernie S.
www.clinicalresearchassociatecra.com/

Sheelu in Jersey City, New Jersey

17 months ago

Kat in Mount Arlington, New Jersey said: Hi,

I completed my Bachelors in Microbiology and my Masters in Biochemistry in 2001.
I got married and came to US,I didnt goto work.
Now I would like to start my career as a CRA. I went online and searched for some training program.

Recently I came to know about a CRA training program that is not online. Its a 6
months training course and after the training they are giving internship for a year.
After that they say they have some projects and we can work for them or we are on our own.

It is expensive and my question is will this training help?
If they didnt provide the internship, is it possible to get a job?

Hi kat ,
I did my Bachelors in Biochemistry and Masters in Biochemical Technology in 2008. Moved to USA recently. I am looking for a CRA training program (not online) as u have mentioned. Did u get any training for CRA who provides u a certificate or assist u in getting job. Please let me know.

Darshini in Sunnyvale, California

14 months ago

Hello everyone. I done my dental degree from India and I'm in sunnyvale now
Pls suggest me as I was interested in clinical research field. I'm having
Experience as a dentist for 3 years. Should I take a certification course
Or can I apply for jobs directly? And what jobs can I apply for? If not possible
Which one is a certified program according to usa to apply for CRA or CRC jobs?

Ammy in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

10 months ago

Darshini in Sunnyvale, California said: Hello everyone. I done my dental degree from India and I'm in sunnyvale now
Pls suggest me as I was interested in clinical research field. I'm having
Experience as a dentist for 3 years. Should I take a certification course
Or can I apply for jobs directly? And what jobs can I apply for? If not possible
Which one is a certified program according to usa to apply for CRA or CRC jobs?

Hi Darshini,

I'm also a Dentist from India and interested in clinical research. If you have gathered any information about certification or jobs could you please share it with me

Thank you
Ammy

Cal in Great Neck, New York

8 months ago

Guys guys!

After 50 months of forum post......I still need the information on how to
- Learn solidly ICH GCP
- Get an entry position for CRA
- Certification or no Certification needed to start?

SAE4ME in Georgia

8 months ago

You can learn ICH GCP guidelines from just reading them, or maybe taking online courses:
www.citiprogram.org/index.cfm?pageID=90

From working in the industry 10 years, I can tell you there are very few CROs that hire new CRAs with zero monitoring experience. The easiest way to become a CRA currently, that I've seen, is to get a job with a CRO, in clinical research administration/clinical research assistant. Several CROs will send you into the field to help CRAs, getting you the field experience, & with any luck you can then be promoted interally into a CRA role.

There is no certification available to non-CRAs, for clinical research monitoring, that's not a scam. The legit certificates are offered by ACRP and SoCRA, and you're only eligible to take the requisite exams after getting some monitoring experience (I forget the requirements but it's least one year).

8 months ago

SAE4ME, thanks a lot.

I have an M.D. degree from a foreign country. I have full working priviledges for the US.
I have been applying for CROs and Hospitals as CRA and CRC, nothing good yet, no responses.
Really need a job now, have a couple of offers in unrelated industries but my heart is set on CRA and Monitoring.
I have also published one paper as subInvstigator. I want to be a CRA

any more insight?

Cal in NYC

SAE4ME in Georgia

8 months ago

Hey Cal, my first insight is you're overqualified! I'm sure you have qualities that any CRO would love to have, & I've worked with great CRAs who were MDs, & also PhDs.

However there are other roles with CROs/Pharma that I feel are better suited to physicians. Have you checked out positions such as Medical Science Liason, Medical Monitor, etc? Sometimes I feel like people overestimate the CRA job based on the salary. The salary is great but you're being reimbursed for the opportunity cost of spending all your time in chain hotels & regional jets. The actual work (much of which is checking for presence/abscence of docs on a checklist & counting pills) can be quite tedious. Don't sell yourself short! Wouldn't you rather write protocols than try to convince sites to follow them?

If you're very serious about becoming a CRA, I'm afraid the same strategies apply... move to a place like Raleigh/Durham where all the CROs/Pharmas are, & apply for clin-admin positions.

8 months ago

.....and also....

I have seen (and contacted) a couple of places where they give a CRA online course plus an exam and a "course completion certificate" that they assure is valid with the NJ State Dept of Education.

What is your take on that? Should I go for it? it is like 400 to 500 dlls. So, I don't know what to do.
I understand that certificate is not THE certificate, the real deal is SoCRA or better yet ACRP.

But in the mean time... instead of nothing...

advice please !!

Cal

8 months ago

SAE4ME, I didn't see your answer before sending the above post, my bad, and I appreciate your answer.

I will seriously consider the positions suggested into my armamentarium of goals.

Will read on how to succesfully apply for CROs jobs, including the new ones you mentioned.

Again, thanks.

Cal

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.