six figures?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Chintal in Waxhaw, North Carolina

43 months ago

I am about to graduate school with a undergraduate degree in Clinical Research and I plan to work for PRA. Is there good chances of one making six figures in this field with experience? For instance, are project managers making over six figures and would a MBA help? I am considering working on my MBA after a couple of years of experience at NC State. Thanks so much for the help you guys I just book marked this site. Have a great memorial day weekend!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Ever hear of the phrase "putting the cart in front of the horse" ?

As a new graduate with zero work experience in clinical research, your first concern needs to be getting an entry level job that pays 25-30k. Then, do a good job at that and get promoted to a job at 35k..... Than after a few years of that, start trying to get a CRA job. After about 5-10 years of being a CRA, you can think about getting your first management job. Then, after 5 years of entry level management you can consider looking at jobs that offer pay from 90k- 120k.

Yes, contract CRAs and highly experienced management do make in the six figures, but that's at least 15 years away right now. In my experience, very very few managers have Masters degrees so I do not feel it will help much at all. Get a degree for your erosional satisfaction- not one to fit a cookie- cutter idea of what you think a manager is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Sure, but at my educational stage I have a choice to attend pharmacy school but, the only main factor to attract me is the possibly of making six figures quickly. However, I want to do something I will enjoy and I feel that a career path in this direction will satisfy myself. I just don't want to waste my time in a career field when I could be making a significant higher salary doing something else that I am capable of accomplishing.

Robert in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

When you love what you do, regardless of salary, you will never be wasting your time. Wasting your time would be to pursue a career for salary and then end up being less fulfilled because you lack a passion for your work. A salary or a degree only provides shallow fulfillment and will not give you longstanding happiness.

A person with just a BS and no work experience in the field (i.e. no qualifications) will have to prove themselves for at least 10-15 years before they can expect to make over 90k. So, basically, NO- you will not be making six figures quickly. But, to me, pursuing a passion and being able to wake up every morning and find true joy in my chosen profession is worth more than any paycheck.

MasterX in Whiting, Indiana

43 months ago

What do we have here? Another new grad with just a bachelor's degree that thinks they are 'owed' something as if they've accomplished some great feat? No one is beating down the door to hire someone with no work experience (in any field, really), let alone at six figures.

Six figures is earned- not something one can progress to easily in any field. Even a career in pharmacy will require a lot of student loan debt and a low paying start in post-doc work. I agree with the other poster an suggest ignoring the $$$$ in ur eyes and to start listening to your heart. Stop chasing an arbitrary number that you feel will provide happiness before it's too late when you realize there is more to life than $.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

annyomus in marietta, Georgia

43 months ago

MasterX in Whiting, Indiana said: What do we have here? Another new grad with just a bachelor's degree that thinks they are 'owed' something as if they've accomplished some great feat? No one is beating down the door to hire someone with no work experience (in any field, really), let alone at six figures.

Six figures is earned- not something one can progress to easily in any field. Even a career in pharmacy will require a lot of student loan debt and a low paying start in post-doc work. I agree with the other poster an suggest ignoring the $$$$ in ur eyes and to start listening to your heart. Stop chasing an arbitrary number that you feel will provide happiness before it's too late when you realize there is more to life than $.

i agree.

Information Seeker in Westminster, California

43 months ago

Jeez, six figures with a BS? Don't mean to piss on your party. I think you are a bit delusional. Making six figures is not something you can achieve easily. A pharmacist makes six figures after through so much hard work and I am not only talking about the schooling and debt. Getting in a decent school is pretty competitive these days. The applications, the interviews, the essays you have to write. The reason I chime in is because I am a pharmacist. I see so many miserable people who went into pharmacy for the sake of money. You should pursue what you like to do. If you like what you do, you will do well, and will be compensated nicely for it. More importantly, you will be happy. Money isn't everything.

43 months ago

MasterX in Whiting, Indiana said: What do we have here? Another new grad with just a bachelor's degree that thinks they are 'owed' something as if they've accomplished some great feat? No one is beating down the door to hire someone with no work experience (in any field, really), let alone at six figures.

I agree completely. I am looking toward the future and that is what I meant this post to be about. I don't expect six figures right off the bat and def. not with a four year degree.

Notice I asked about the possibly benefits of an MBA in this field, but everyone seemed to busy scoffing at my foolish idea to receive a six figure salary. I KNOW MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING. But, I want the comfort knowing that one day in this field there is a possibility to make decent money. That's it plain and simple. If asking about the possible career earnings in the future regarding clinical research and what I can do to maximize my potential is "foolish" then the jokes on me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

*possible

Information Seeker in Westminster, California

43 months ago

Sure, an MBA from a great school like Wharton or Stanford will help. I suspect that help not because of the diploma in itself. Those people who got into those schools are smart bunch, ambitious, and very driven. They make lots of money because they are good at what they do. MBA can be used in almost any field. If you decide to do an MBA, go for the top tier ones.

MaryBeth in Silver Spring, Maryland

43 months ago

The only thing an MBA says is "I took the time and spent the $ to get my MBA."

I agree that going to a prestigious school helps, not because of the degree, but because of the alumni contacts and networking. I have not seen anyone in clinical research who attributes career growth to their degree, instead it's usually experience and luck.

To the original poster, 50k is a decent salary. Over half of the people in this country support a whole family on less, you don't need six figures to live decently. Clinical research provides great opportunities for one to make more than half of the people in this country within only a year or two of work. It's a good field to be in.

Tammy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

It is very, very rare for project managers to have a masters degree. Most I've worked with are RNs that have worked their way up from study coordinator to CRA and then into management. I don't think that getting a masters will secure six figure-level jobs.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.