why is oncology monitoring experience CRAs hard to find...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Mike H in East Brunswick, New Jersey

47 months ago

Hi all, just wondering how specialized the oncology monitoring area for CRAs is. There does not seem to be too many CRAs with that experience out there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jj in Wilmington, North Carolina

47 months ago

It is very specialized! There are a TON of CRAs out there doing oncology, the problem is that the trials are not over, so many are mid-contract or not looking to change jobs.

The first thing to consider about oncology is that a LOT of new trials have sprung up in the last 5 years, so because there weren't as many oncology trials going on before 5 years ago, it makes sense that less CRAs were doing oncology trials. Any CRA with 2 years in oncology is in very, very high demand and doesn't stay on the market for long.

You also have to consider the stress level of an oncology study. I've done one and would never go back- too many SAEs, drugs, protocol exceptions, etc. It's stressful! But, I guess this is why oncology CRAs make 30% higher salaries than average.

The best place to find oncology experience is with CRAs who used to be nurses or CRCs. They will make the best oncology CRAs. I wouldn't hire a CRA for an oncology study without this experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindali68 in Beltsville, Maryland

47 months ago

Mike H in East Brunswick, New Jersey said: Hi all, just wondering how specialized the oncology monitoring area for CRAs is. There does not seem to be too many CRAs with that experience out there...

Hi. Mike:

I know an experienced Oncology CRA who is looking for home based CRA position in NJ, PA, MD areas.

Majority of CRA only verify the most basic data, but no clue what is SAE, and how to evalaute the tumor worksheet.

Thank you,

LInda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

Linda,

I highly doubt that there is a single CRA doesn't know what an SAE is... If you ever find that person, I sure hope they are fired within the next 24 hours. Monitoring an SAE is the most critical of job functions for a monitor.

The only reason why a CRA would only review a partial amount of data would be if the contract/monitoring plan stated the limited data points. That being said, I've NEVER see a contract or monitoring plan that didn't require 100% monitoring of all SAEs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindali68 in Beltsville, Maryland

47 months ago

Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

All Oncology trials require 100% data verification of SAE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.