Aging as a Clinical Research Coordinator

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

theresa in Tampa, Florida

59 months ago

As a CRC with 16 years experience and a Master's Degree I look good on paper but I'm having the hardest time landing a new position in clinical research. I'm afraid the problem may be that I'm in my late forties and this seems to be a young field, (or perhaps its just the economy). In any case its tough out there! I certainly don't know of any 70 year old CRCs. Do CRCs get put out to pasture after 50 if they don't become managers or CRAs? Or is this a problem with CRAs too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia

58 months ago

Regarding your question, I'm a CRC too in my fifties(same issue), and what you need to do is to land in a Stable Company with growing potential were you can get old and promoted as a supervisor or manager without the fair of getting old and getting fired.Looking to become a CRA,is not a bad idea but the inconvenience of a CRA for a person getting on their 50 is that traveling a lot becomes an issue as because of age we get more tire.The good thing of getting old is that your experience is valuable. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

heastonn@yahoo.com

53 months ago

Yeah I agree, I'm in my late 50' and have 4 years CRC experience, BS in Biology and extensive years in the healthcare industry. Got laid off in 2007 and have been looking ever since. Had a phone interview last week and the only thing they wanted to know was if I was a phlebotomist! What is going on out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

VBussell in Parrish, Florida

50 months ago

Frankly, I am surprised; especially that an experienced coordinator would have trouble finding a position in the Tampa Bay area of Florida! When I was seeking experienced clinical research coordinators in Delray Beach, Florida late last year, I had trouble finding experienced candidates. We were seeking "certified" research coordinators and I think more sites are moving toward only hiring certified staff over the past few years. An as the one site inquired, we did prefer those with phlebotomy experience as it is definitely an advantage when the study coordinator can perform lab draws and ECGs for their studies.
I didn't consider age as a factor, but would have considered those who were a little more mature and had experience to be a pro and not a con. Good references were also important factors. Good luck in your search if still looking. If you are in Florida and still looking; let me know, perhaps I can help!
Valera

VBussell in Parrish, Florida

50 months ago

I would also like to throw this out there for consideration. Have any of you joined LinkedIn at www.LinkedIn.com ? Perhaps it would be helpful to start a Clinical Research Coordinator group in LinkedIn so that the CRCs could network and sites could then become involved there as well when seeking coordinators?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Judi in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

47 months ago

I am 41 years old and have recently lost my job after 10 years. It's not easy being overqualified for some jobs but under qualified for others. I have recently thought about entering the CRC field but after reading these comments I'm not sure if I'd be wasting my time.....and time is what I feel I don't have much of if I plan to have a solid career in the next 5 years. I do have phlebotomy experience which I gained as a Hospital Corpsman in the US Navy reserve for 22 years.
If you ahve suggestions about entering this field at even my age, please let me know.

theresa in Tampa, Florida said: As a CRC with 16 years experience and a Master's Degree I look good on paper but I'm having the hardest time landing a new position in clinical research. I'm afraid the problem may be that I'm in my late forties and this seems to be a young field, (or perhaps its just the economy). In any case its tough out there! I certainly don't know of any 70 year old CRCs. Do CRCs get put out to pasture after 50 if they don't become managers or CRAs? Or is this a problem with CRAs too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Tampa, Florida

47 months ago

Judi,

Your not old by any means. I am 44 and started in Research 4 years ago. I recently hired a young girl 23yr with no experience thinking we could "season" her the way we wanted to. Wrong!! I would much rather have a more mature person who nows what the real world is about. Didn't realize how immature a 23yr. old is. Hang in there your age is a great benefit.

47 months ago

Oh thank you!
I have been trying to search for on-line programs but am not having much luck. I live in Iowa City near the University of Iowa but I have not found a program there although I do see employment opportunities posted on a regular basis. Any ideas who offers on-line programs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Heaston

47 months ago

Judi in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: Oh thank you!
I have been trying to search for on-line programs but am not having much luck. I live in Iowa City near the University of Iowa but I have not found a program there although I do see employment opportunities posted on a regular basis. Any ideas who offers on-line programs?

Don't get discouraged! I am 58yrs old with 4 years as a CRC and looking for work. My healthcare background includes 20 plus years in respiratory care, medical insurance and back office assistant. Can anyone out there help? I'm willing to relocate and crosstrain to CRA work. Thanks.

47 months ago

I found a Clinical Trial Manager position if you're interested.I wouldn't stand a chance since I do not have this experience.

jobview.monster.com/Clinical-Trial-Manager-Iowa-Job-Iowa-City-IA-

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.