Education vs. Experience.. Which way to go?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Leticia in Houston, Texas

34 months ago

I have been reading through some threads here and would really value different opinions regarding my situation.

I have some college under my belt but have not finished a degree. I began working at a private ophthalmic practice 5 years ago and was offered the CRC position after our former coordinator left abruptly. I now have been in the position for a year and have found a tremendous love for it. The practice has now gotten extremely busy and I have little time for anything else. I was recently offered a job at a private university. The first thought in my mind was "Nursing Degree!" This position would offer significantly lower pay but will come with the benefit of free tuition. Now I find myself at a crossroad. Should I stay at the practice and gain more experience but pass on a degree? Or do I leave my short lived position as CRC and get a nursing degree and hope to be able to break into the field again in a few years.
It would be extremely difficult to devote myself to school if I continue working. I am at the office for very long hours.

I see how hard it is to get into clinical research and do not want to throw away my experience. At the same time I also know that a nursing degree can give an edge when looking to advance in the field. I am finding this decision to be extremely difficult but want to make the choice that will bring me the possibility for the most success.

Advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.