What do you enjoy most about your clinical research coordinator career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a clinical research coordinator? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Somebody in Cary, North Carolina

80 months ago

I don't like my job as a clinical research coordinator. It is mostly carrying out tasks that have been outlined by somebody else, a lot of repetitive mindless paperwork, and no need for original thought. I don't find it challenging at all. My first week I was screaming "Nobody cares that I have a brain" inside my head.

It's a job, I'll find something different in a couple of months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Palm Bay, Florida

78 months ago

Wow. I can see where you have a point and value your opinion. I absolutly love my job. It is true, you are following protocol guidelines which can seem repetitive, however, there is so much more. Your learning the compounds being administered to your patients, your getting to know not only your patients health but every aspect of theirs lives, your helping patient in so many levels and not only your current patients but patients in the future. Research coordinators have the most important job because physicians, scietists and the pharmacutical companies are relying on you to provide them with raw accurate data. If you don;t take your job seriously you are possibly giving inaccurate information and therefore be adding to and misinformed conclusion to the effecacy and saftey of the treatment. Your dedication to the patients' saftey and following the protocol provides the companies and the FDA the information needed to find out if a new compound/treatment is truly benificial to future patients. Its not the most glorious job but it is one with great importance and I find it to be very challenging, exciting and rewarding personally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VBussell -CCRC-CCRA in West Palm Beach, Florida

70 months ago

Angie in Palm Bay, Florida said: Wow. I can see where you have a point and value your opinion. I absolutly love my job. It is true, you are following protocol guidelines which can seem repetitive, however, there is so much more. Your learning the compounds being administered to your patients, your getting to know not only your patients health but every aspect of theirs lives, your helping patient in so many levels and not only your current patients but patients in the future. Research coordinators have the most important job because physicians, scietists and the pharmacutical companies are relying on you to provide them with raw accurate data. If you don;t take your job seriously you are possibly giving inaccurate information and therefore be adding to and misinformed conclusion to the effecacy and saftey of the treatment. Your dedication to the patients' saftey and following the protocol provides the companies and the FDA the information needed to find out if a new compound/treatment is truly benificial to future patients. Its not the most glorious job but it is one with great importance and I find it to be very challenging, exciting and rewarding personally.

I applaud you and would guess that you are greatly valued at your current facility. As with any field, there are those who are good at it and take pride in compliance and quality and those for whom it is just a job; they are usually not great study coordinators. As for being menial; a good study coordinator is invaluable and often makes the difference between a successful trial or a failure. Many Sponsors will tell you that they would prefer to place a trial at a site with a highly experienced coordinator and less experienced investigator than the other way around. Certification is also becoming more important to employers, as this documents the persons knowledge and commitment to the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Melbourne, Florida

70 months ago

Hello Angie and VBussell

I am looking for an entry level clinical research position around Melbourne, FL or within 100 miles radius. Do you know of any organization that is hiring?
I have BS in Biology with three years of preclinical research experience (In regulatory affairs department) and going to enroll in Michigan State Clinical Monitoring and Coordination Course sometimes this week but would like to start looking out for a starting place to find who is hiring in the area.
I love regulatory compliance issues and don't mind paperwork at all. I have written 30 FDA GLP preclinical study reports and peer reviewed more than 5.

Let me know if you can help with anything.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VBussell, CCRC, CCRA in Lake Worth, Florida

70 months ago

Hi,
Unfortunately, we are not looking for anyone at the moment, but there are a lot of research facilities down this way. Melbourne is quite a ways from my facility; we are located in Delray Beach. Good luck in your search.
Valera

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Huntsville, Alabama

70 months ago

The last I checked (Melbourne Internal Medicine Assosicates) MIMA Century Research Associates was hiring. Check Career Builders. You can also use there web site mima.com to apply online. Good Luck.

Lynn in Melbourne, Florida

70 months ago

Thanks Angie.
I already applied there twice. I am not sure what specific medical background they are looking for. So I am going to take the MSU course and get phlebotomy certified and try again and hope for the best. What else can I do, right?

I know this is protocol driven but in your experience how many % of the job you have to do phlebotomy? I have no problem drawing blood from small animals but not sure how I feel about human.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Betra in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

61 months ago

I can't believe that some of us don't enjoy our jobs as a Clinical Research Coordinator. I for one enjoy my job. There are guidelines to the job. But the last I heard there are guidelines to every job out there.

The greatest enjoy I found in my job is helping patients that may not be able to have certain procedures done due to no healthcare. I've had patients cry to me and explain that if it wasn't for the study they wouldn't have known how to face their diagnosis.

I am treated by Physicians as an equal and ask for my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

VBussell-Clinical Research Director in Lake Worth, Florida

61 months ago

Hi Betra,
It is refreshing to hear that you care about what you do;those who don't, should really think about another career better suited to them. We are always seeking certified coordinators for our facility who enjoy what they do and are capable of efficient and compliant coordination of the studies.
Regards,
Valera

Passion for Clinical Research in Ocoee, Florida

60 months ago

I have a BS in Psychology, I will soon be a LMT (licensed Massage Therapist), and I have clinical research experience (undergrad/ fellowship program). My ultimate goal in life is to conduct clinical research for a living but I need some direction as to what steps to take. Should I go to graduate school and get my MPH (Masters Public Health) first? Should I become a CRC first, gain some experience, and then apply for the CRA exam? How do I break in to the research field with minimal experience? If ANYONE has any advice, please reply or email me at music513lover@aol.com. I would be forever grateful :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

VBussell in Lake Worth, Florida

60 months ago

Depends on what your Research career goals are. Do you have an idea regarding the role you hope to obtain? Since you have the BS and some research experience, you should be able to find an entry level CRA role.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda W in Melbourne, Florida

60 months ago

Angie in Palm Bay, Florida said: Wow. I can see where you have a point and value your opinion. I absolutly love my job. It is true, you are following protocol guidelines which can seem repetitive, however, there is so much more. Your learning the compounds being administered to your patients, your getting to know not only your patients health but every aspect of theirs lives, your helping patient in so many levels and not only your current patients but patients in the future. Research coordinators have the most important job because physicians, scietists and the pharmacutical companies are relying on you to provide them with raw accurate data. If you don;t take your job seriously you are possibly giving inaccurate information and therefore be adding to and misinformed conclusion to the effecacy and saftey of the treatment. Your dedication to the patients' saftey and following the protocol provides the companies and the FDA the information needed to find out if a new compound/treatment is truly benificial to future patients. Its not the most glorious job but it is one with great importance and I find it to be very challenging, exciting and rewarding personally.

Is this Angie who used to be my roommate at our research job in Melbourne Fl????

4 in Marietta, Georgia

59 months ago

Not trying to be funny but check your spelling. Everything that you said is true though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

If anyone knows a great, well-organized, certified coordinator who is well-rounded, has hands-on experience and who is looking for a job in South Florida, please feel free to send them my way. We are seeking someone who would be available soon. Pay is based on certification and experience. Excellent chance for advancement.

4 in Marietta, Georgia

59 months ago

VBussell in Lake Worth, Florida said: If anyone knows a great, well-organized, certified coordinator who is well-rounded, has hands-on experience and who is looking for a job in South Florida, please feel free to send them my way. We are seeking someone who would be available soon. Pay is based on certification and experience. Excellent chance for advancement.

I certaintly will. If you know of an employer in the Atlanta, GA area that is looking for the same please let me know. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PASSIONATE in Ocoee, Florida

59 months ago

VBussell in Lake Worth, Florida said: Depends on what your Research career goals are. Do you have an idea regarding the role you hope to obtain? Since you have the BS and some research experience, you should be able to find an entry level CRA role.

Well I narrowed down my career search to BSS research (Behavioral Social Science). I'm not too interested in Biomedical research but I was wondering if it would still be a good idea to take a few medical/science courses at my local community college just to give me an edge in the job market. Is this a good idea or would I be wasting money?

Also, I am looking for a mentor/ advisor with clinical research experience. I had a great mentor in college but his expertise no longer suits my needs. I am not currently enrolled in school and my current job is not related to clinical research so how can I find a mentor? Does anyone have any suggestions?????

59 months ago

Unfortunately, that is a little outside my network of friends or colleagues; I have always been involved in clinical and device research, so I haven't been involved in the behavioral aspect,although I am sure it must be quite interesting. Good luck in your search for a mentor.

Wana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a clinical research coordinator? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I've read some of the comments in regards to being a crc. My title is a little diffrent. I do not have my cert as a crc, I have not yet taken the exam. However my title was tweeked a little. I have the same responsibilities as a crc but not the income. I'm scheduled for the exam in Sept. I personally enjoy the work because for a while I was involved in multiple trials at 1 time. Now, I just work on 1, (diffrent office, same dept)big change of pace. I find it more refreshing because your able to be more attentive to the participants, (if you have direct contact)although there is that boundry of care. The trial I work on has been ongoing for over 5 yrs so I've gotten to know the participants somewhat personally. I used to just do regulatory. I couldn't sit behind my desk all day. Now I do part. visits, & reg. & it works out for me. I've beening viewing the job descriptions for some crc positions & it seems you have to have a BS for most. I'm begining to wonder if its in my benefit to take the crc exam? Any opinions?

betra in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

57 months ago

I will inform you that there is no criteria which states that you need a BS. Some of the places may ask for it but it is not required. As well as if you have a BS you will receive more money. I'm not sure how much experience you have in research but the CCRC requires 2years and you need it to pass this test. I also found out by one of the coordinators in my office that they inform you of the test result that sameday. Now I'll explaining this bit of information because several years ago, well when I took the test it took 4 to 6 wks to receive the result. It drove people crazy. The test is 3 hours and trust me you need 3 hours to finish it up. I will explain that the CCRC test is not required to be a coordinator however I strongly recommend it. The price of the test is 539 I believe and to keep up the certification is way more. I spent $2,000 to maintain it. But I do feel that it's help in my career. If you have any other questions I'm more then willing to answer your questions. My personal e-mail is betra11@gmail.com

lschel in Wausau, Wisconsin

57 months ago

Passion for Clinical Research in Ocoee, Florida said: I have a BS in Psychology, I will soon be a LMT (licensed Massage Therapist), and I have clinical research experience (undergrad/ fellowship program). My ultimate goal in life is to conduct clinical research for a living but I need some direction as to what steps to take. Should I go to graduate school and get my MPH (Masters Public Health) first? Should I become a CRC first, gain some experience, and then apply for the CRA exam? How do I break in to the research field with minimal experience? If ANYONE has any advice, please reply or email me at music513lover@aol.com. I would be forever grateful :-)

If you are interested in becoming a CRC first there are a few technical or community colleges that now have two year associate degree programs specifically in Clinical Research Coordinating. The Mid-State Technical College in Marshfield, WI was designed with many of the courses being available Online so that anyone in the US could be enrolled. Many of the general education courses can be transfered as well. They also will give credit individuals already working in the field who want a degree credit for prior work experience. Last May graduates from that program acquired positions in research within a year of graduating. There website is www.mstc.edu if wanting further information.

PASSIONATE in Ocoee, Florida

56 months ago

lschel in Wausau, Wisconsin said: If you are interested in becoming a CRC first there are a few technical or community colleges that now have two year associate degree programs specifically in Clinical Research Coordinating. The Mid-State Technical College in Marshfield, WI was designed with many of the courses being available Online so that anyone in the US could be enrolled. Many of the general education courses can be transfered as well. They also will give credit individuals already working in the field who want a degree credit for prior work experience. Last May graduates from that program acquired positions in research within a year of graduating. There website is www.mstc.edu if wanting further information.

WOW THANK YOU! I will definately look into that! Good luck with your career as well!

AJ in Fort Worth, Texas

54 months ago

I totally second you. I am just starting out in this career and have found out the CRC job to be a very challenging & rewarding job holistically, not only in terms of helping my team delivering the best patient care, but also learning so much in terms of best and efficacious new modes of treatment.

Andres Reyes in Morelia, Mexico

53 months ago

I enjoy research coordination, in Mexico there is a lot of work but I think that research coordination is subestimated.

Maria

52 months ago

Angie in Palm Bay, Florida said: Wow. I can see where you have a point and value your opinion. I absolutly love my job. It is true, you are following protocol guidelines which can seem repetitive, however, there is so much more. Your learning the compounds being administered to your patients, your getting to know not only your patients health but every aspect of theirs lives, your helping patient in so many levels and not only your current patients but patients in the future. Research coordinators have the most important job because physicians, scietists and the pharmacutical companies are relying on you to provide them with raw accurate data. If you don;t take your job seriously you are possibly giving inaccurate information and therefore be adding to and misinformed conclusion to the effecacy and saftey of
the treatment. Your dedication to the patients' saftey and following the protocol provides the companies and the FDA the information needed to find out if a new compound/treatment is truly benificial to future patients. Its not the most glorious job but it is one with great importance and I find it to be very challenging, exciting and rewarding personally.

Hi, I really like the way you care about your job congratulations.
See that you love what you do and that is great
By the way I like to ask you how long normally takes after
the Coordinator submitted the initial doc. the Clinic site( new Company) is Presented to the IRB to get the acceptance I need to do to get a study research please I need advice because I contracted a private Coordinator and she and its been 7 months never even one study and I paid a l
ot of money and she say still waiting for the IRB answer or acceptance is that possible? If you or anyone please could give an advice I will really appreciate I'm desperate

Maria

52 months ago

Hi, I really like the way you care about your job congratulations.
See that you love what you do and that is great
By the way I like to ask you how long normally takes after
the Coordinator submitted the initial doc. the Clinic site( new Company) is Presented to the IRB to get the acceptance I need to do to get a study research please I need advice because I contracted a private Coordinator and she and its been seven months never even one study and I paid a l
ot of money and she say still waiting for the IRB answer or acceptance is that possible? If you or anyone please could give an advice I will really appreciate

VBussell in Laurel, Montana

52 months ago

Maria,
Your comment is rather confusing. When you submit a study to the IRB, they usually approve it within a couple of weeks. Where you referring to an industry sponsored study with a pharma company or did you write your own study? I was also a little confused about your contracting a coordinator. ???? Please visit my website at www.Clinical-RTS.com we may have services (consulting, training etc for new sites) that might help you. I can be contacted directly at VBussell@Clinical-RTS.com
Sincerely,
Valera

Ryan T. in Walled Lake, Michigan

31 months ago

I am replying to this because I have made it to the second round of interviews for a CRC position. I was trying to network and ask for any advice on said position (I am just out of college and only have a bachelors of science in psychology). Your response is both hopeful and inspiring (the position seems overwhelming given my inexperience on the clinical side of research). Any advice here or via e-mail would be appreciated!

Cheers

Ryan from Michigan

Laura in Hollywood, Florida

20 months ago

Hello,
I just started thinking about becoming a CRC/CRA. I have BS in biology and I'm completing a MS in biomedical sciences. My medical experience is as a dental assistant, shadowing a physician assistant, and volunteering in the ER. As an undergrad I did research for a year. As I'm looking for a job in the field I encounter that they want yearSs of experience.

I also wanted to know how satisfied are you working as CRCs/CRAs.
I would want to have a career that is decently compensated in every way, specially economically.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would advise and tell me their experience.

Thank you :)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.