Tips for cmm programmer interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming cmm programmer interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Douglas Santysiak in Holland, Ohio

66 months ago

I went on 2 interviews in the Michigan/Ohio area and things I was asked is about print interpretation, GD&T and demonstrating set-up and programming on a CMM using PC-Dmis. I admit it was a little nerve racking working on equipment you have never used before and having people watch over your shoulder every minute.
But with the auto industry the way it is now, especially in my area, it will be very difficult to find work. I my self have been laid off for a few months and finding CMM programming work is hard. I have been using a Mititoyo Manual machine for 18 years and a Brown & Shape Programmable machine for 2 years. The programmable ones are way better for doing more than 1 of the same piece. Make sure you have good fixturing for part layouts; I have done way too many plastic parts with no fixtures, like trying to measure a cooked noodle that should have shape to it.
Other tips for this are finding a place that you have someone to bounce ideas off of and help with the little things that can hold you up for a period of time that they may be able to help to keep you moving forward.
One last tip, always take a hourly position, if not they will have you working 12-14 hours, 7 days a week!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

saipeople in kingwood, Texas

66 months ago

Requirements Management ...

* What is your project about? What stage or phase is it currently in? What is your current role in your project?
* Explain how you manage requirements in your project?

* Where and how do you document your requirements?
* What and where are the policy statements for requirement management?
* How do you ensure that you base your software plans, work items and products on the requirement?
* If during some stage down the life cycle, the initial requirements change, what will you do? How will you handle any changes in the requirements?
* Who reviews the requirements and the changes to the requirements?
* Explain the contract review process followed in your project?
* When requirements change, how do you handle the changes it may lead to project progress and schedule?
* How do you handle any risk that might arise due to changes in requirements?
* How do you ensure that you are consistently meeting the requirements during various stages in the life cycle of the software product?
* How do internal quality audits cover requirements management activities in the project?
* Who is responsible for managing the requirements in your project?
* What will you do if you find that you cannot meet the requirements?
* While doing HLD/LLD/Coding/Testing, how do you know that a specific HLD/LLD component, program code unit, or test case relates to a particular requirement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Warren in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

60 months ago

If you can't do the inspection as a mechanical inspector, then you need to stay off the CMM and spend more time doing manual inspections. A good mechanical inspector will make a good CMM programmer because not only can the mechanical inspector think 3D, but can actually work in 3D and understands the geometry and trigonometry of inspection.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

qcguy in Newark, Delaware

39 months ago

Simplify everything. I made using the cmm so simple every operator in the shop can use it to measure any part without any assistance. Also I take the time to write a program that reduces cycle time while maintaining accuracy. I fixture for large qty production jobs so I can run multi piece programs. Only problem is I make 12.50 per/hr. What's this worth to other companies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Warren in Tulsa, Oklahoma

38 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming cmm programmer interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

A few other tips that may help. If you can program off-line, this is a huge plus. There are not many that can do this with any accuracy. If you can off-line with and without a model, this is even a bigger plus. One of the biggest things that I look for is that a person knows how to make sure the hits are normal to surface to avoid cosine errors. In my opinion, if a person cannot programs without the use of the jog box, then they are entry level. Impress someone by showing clean code and writing routines that are your own and not canned routines driven by software. Knowing how to write high-level using variables is huge and can assure your program is hitting normal to surfaces.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I agree with Warren, well said. Programming offline is a huge plus. Knowing how to write a clean programs is important. Adjust your clearance heights when it is not necessary to back off to measure another feature. This doesn't just make a smooth program but an efficient one as well. Seconds add up and before you know it you have 5 minutes of the cycle time spent not measuring a part. Establish a system that makes it simple for anyone to operate the CMM. Add notes to the program so people don't have to ask questions. And always verify your readings by inspecting mechanically. Lastly, make sure that your measurements are repeatable. Measurements from the same part should deviate more than 10% of the given tolerance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

[QUOTELastly, make sure that your measurements are repeatable. Measurements from the same part should deviate more than 10% of the given tolerance

Woops.

Should NEVER deviate more than 10%

sorry about that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cmm79 in Litchfield, Michigan

31 months ago

In my opinion, definitely not. I have learned and used many different CMM softwares in my twenty plus years as a CMM programmer. I am partial to Mitutoyo CMM's and software and will be one of the first to admit that they have put out some software that wasn't that good. Definitely my years of experience is a factor, but I found that the easiest to learn was CMM-Manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.