Top Cmm Programmer skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every Cmm Programmer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your Cmm Programmer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Copperas Cove, Texas

91 months ago

1, You MUST be an expert in print reading and working in 3-D.
2, Communication! Think from the operators view and take corrective suggustions.
3, Practice, I picked up an extra part-time job to learn new parts. Little machine shops are the best because of ALL the different customers and parts they have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Warren in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

79 months ago

If you can't do the inspection as a mechanical inspector, then you need to stay off the CMM and spend more time doing manual inspections. A good mechanical inspector will make a good CMM programmer because not only can the mechanical inspector think 3D, but can actually work 3D and understands the geometry and trigonometry of inspection. You must not only understand GD&T, but you must know if the application on the drawing or model is correct and suggest changes to be in accordance of the standards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tonyadkins in Aurora, Illinois

77 months ago

1) Strong GD&T skills (pay attention to the ANSI/ASME Y14.5 version you're B/P specifies!) and B/P interpretation.
2) Warren was right: being able to perform on the granite is a must and has many benefits. First, you'll be able to conventionally inspect any cmm reading that you believe is suspect. Second, it shows an operator/machinist a method of checking something for himself...before he/she brings you their work. Third, understanding conventional inspection helps you avoid the pitfalls of "lazy" programming, like not checking form on your measured features.
3) I've found that 3D modeling really helped solidify my thinking on multiple levels, as well as giving me a better understanding of how the cmm was "seeing" the part & how to "ask" it what I wanted to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.