Enty Level Coding

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Mytea_Bee in Baltimore, Maryland

33 months ago

I'm a Certified Coder who Scored very high on my National coding exam but can not find a job for an "Entry Level Coder". Can someone Please help me??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Austin, Texas

33 months ago

Your best bet is to find an entry level NON CODING job, something in medical records, billing, patient account rep, insurance verification, etc. Something that will get your foot in the door, help you gain some much needed experience and allow you to move up to a coding job. Most of us started out the same way, you just have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Good luck.

juz4me2007@yahoo.com in Richmond, Virginia

23 months ago

Mytea_Bee in Baltimore, Maryland said: I'm a Certified Coder who Scored very high on my National coding exam but can not find a job for an " Entry Level Coder". Can someone Please help me??

A lot of times it can have something to do with the type of credential you have. It seems like many facilities (hospitals) are wanting besides "hands-on" experience, they're wanting an AHIMA credential.....specially the CCS, CCS-P, RHIT & RHIA. Continuing trying...I know what that feels like too. You may want to try volunteering a few hours in a hospital or Doctor's office to begin networking. This is a bit of a stretch but you may want to try some Coding Consultant firms where some of them will provide some sort of training. To be honest be aware of any contracts they'll want you to sign for their sometimes boot-camp training. However, all of these companies are different this is just a heads-up if you've applied for any. Again, I strongly suggest you sit for the coding credentials - CCS, CCS-P or even the CCA which is AHIMA's "Entry-Level" Coding Credential (if you haven't done so already). If you have any AAPC Credentials.....this is still good but get an AHIMA Coding Credential also. Don't Be Discouraged......it can get a little frustrating at times but hang in there! God Bless!!

prettyfokused in Birmingham, Alabama

19 months ago

I just passed my CCS-P exam through AHIMA on May 1st and I attained my Associates Degree in Billin and Coding a week before. I have already seen that people are now showing more interest in me.

Although I've been working in a hospital for over 7 years, I don't have any direct coding experience. But it seems like the better credential/education you have, people are more willing to give you a shot.

I think the credentials through AHIMA made the big difference. Good Luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.