Tips for coder interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming coder interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

bklyngirrl@yahoo.com

89 months ago

i should be receiving my certification for medical coding in July. I looking to relocate and move to dealware or pennsylvania, and I would like to know whats the starting salary for a cpc? (certified professional coder)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MArc in Biddeford, Maine

89 months ago

bklyngirrl@yahoo.com said: i should be receiving my certification for medical coding in July. I looking to relocate and move to dealware or pennsylvania, and I would like to know whats the starting salary for a cpc? (certified professional coder)

Do you know Betsy Bee Bop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Clinton Township, Michigan

89 months ago

MArc in Biddeford, Maine said: Do you know Betsy Bee Bop?

I am a coder and make 21.43 after 5 years. I work in a hospital. sure is getting harder and harder though. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bklyngirrl@yahoo.com

89 months ago

thank you for repling to my comment-do you make 21.43 an hour? also are you certified as a coder, and how much did you start out making?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jan in Clinton Township, Michigan

89 months ago

I can't remember what I started out at. I am a RHIT from Henry Ford Community College associate degree-- back in 1976. I only coded two years, stayed home and raised kids for 20 and then went back to coding inpatient records. Major changes in those years!! I would like to try Physician office coding but it probably doesn't make as much. I work for PHNS and make 21.43 an hour. What kind of coding do you want to do? wages are realy different everywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bklyngirrl@yahoo.com

88 months ago

the kind of coding I want to do is working with the doctors, or medical records, or whatever. I guess working with the physician's (as you advised)
you might not make as much, but I went to slalry.com and you're right, it varies from state to state. Whatever my certification allows me to go for, thats what Im doing

jan in Clinton Township, Michigan

88 months ago

Yes, I would definitely recommend doing Physician coding instead anyways. Hospital coding is getting very stressful with all the new DRGS and POA stuff.On top of production standards and coding audits. Usually you have to be a RHIT or CCS for that anyways. Did you have to learn alot about CPT coding and modifiers? Outpatient coding is getting more complicated in the hospital with all the procedures and APG's. ER coding deals with alot of INFUSION counting. yuk Best bet is physician coding and I wish I was doing it now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bklyngirrl@yahoo.com

88 months ago

thank yuo so much for replying back to me with a response-I will definitely look into physician coding!!!

bklyngirrl@yahoo.com

88 months ago

i have another question-when you interview for a coding position, what type of questions do they ask, and will I have to pass a entry level coding test to get hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

I have not had any luck in the Houston area. If you don't have experience you don't get hired. How do you get experience if no one will give you a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.