Top coder skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every coder must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your coder expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

CEW (over 30 years experience) in Saint Louis, Missouri

77 months ago

TRAITS
1) professionalism
2) accuracy (95% and above)
3) willingness to constantly learn and improve skills
4) production (Need to be able to meet production quotas within company's time frame)

TIPS & INSIGHTS
Get certification; Be a team player (get along with people); Need to be well versed in medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and how to use medication book (PDR, Nurse's Drug Book,etc); If you don't know how to code a report, research and ask someone who does; Find a mentor; Believe in yourself; Be willing to do "the time" to gain experience, in other words you may not find your dream job immediately. You may need to take a job that entails other aspects with coding as one part of the job. This way you gain the needed experience to eventually find your dream job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jan in Roseville, Michigan

77 months ago

CEW (over 30 years experience) in Saint Louis, Missouri said: TRAITS
1) professionalism
2) accuracy (95% and above)
3) willingness to constantly learn and improve skills
4) production (Need to be able to meet production quotas within company's time frame)

TIPS & INSIGHTS
Get certification; Be a team player (get along with people); Need to be well versed in medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and how to use medication book (PDR, Nurse's Drug Book,etc); If you don't know how to code a report, research and ask someone who does; Find a mentor; Believe in yourself; Be willing to do "the time" to gain experience, in other words you may not find your dream job immediately. You may need to take a job that entails other aspects with coding as one part of the job. This way you gain the needed experience to eventually find your dream job.

Wait a minute.....It said three not four. Which one are you going to take off?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

jan in Roseville, Michigan said: Wait a minute.....It said three not four. Which one are you going to take off?

if you have been doing it for 30 years , you need to be detail oriented to be a coder, ( I have been coding since 1976.) So, read the question and carefully answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Well, I have to warn you of one company that I worked for, PHNS, and it was terrible. So many coders have tried to work for them and it is a company that cares less about its coders. Vacations are denied, very low wages and benefits are terrible. Not only that, but you can't take unused vacation or sick time you accrued and have been denied when you leave. I was very uncomfortable with the lack of compliance with government insurance coding. Steer away from working for them. Don't waste your time with PHNS!

Gail in Detroit, Michigan

72 months ago

jan in Roseville, Michigan said: Well, I have to warn you of one company that I worked for, PHNS, and it was terrible. So many coders have tried to work for them and it is a company that cares less about its coders. Vacations are denied, very low wages and benefits are terrible. Not only that, but you can't take unused vacation or sick time you accrued and have been denied when you leave. I was very uncomfortable with the lack of compliance with government insurance coding. Steer away from working for them. Don't waste your time with PHNS!

It's funny I currently work for PHNS, but not as a coder and it hasn't changed. I was told that I couldn't do my coding internship there because it was an AHIMA program, but I will be sitting for the CPC exam. I work for a company that won't even let me complete my internship there...that's the pits.

jan in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

72 months ago

I really feel bad for you, it must be very discouraging. Once you get your credentials of CCS or RHIT, employers are more willing to take on new coders. I know PHNS will train you under their circumstances, and maybe you should work toward that because it is tough to get a job if you aren't. I work for Henry Ford now and there are numerous coding positions but they only want "seasoned" coders. It is definitely tough out there.

Gail in Detroit, Michigan

72 months ago

I need some place to do my clinicals, do you know if Henry Ford allows students to do it there? If, so who can I contact?

jan in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

72 months ago

Gail in Detroit, Michigan said: I need some place to do my clinicals, do you know if Henry Ford allows students to do it there? If, so who can I contact?

They allow students from Macomb Community College but I don't know what the process is to get in. I think the school sets it up with the hospitals some how.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.