At-Home Coding

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

SANDY in Hoopeston, Illinois

45 months ago

I think it is a terrible misconception to think you can go to coding school and think you will directly go to work at home. Most companies want 2-3 years experience. Honestly, in our office, it took 6 months to train and really about a year to become proficient. I have 30 years of work experience, and so many people have this erroneous idea that I can just go to school for a few months and begin working at home, and sadly it does not work this way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

45 months ago

SANDY in Hoopeston, Illinois said: I think it is a terrible misconception to think you can go to coding school and think you will directly go to work at home. Most companies want 2-3 years experience. Honestly, in our office, it took 6 months to train and really about a year to become proficient. I have 30 years of work experience, and so many people have this erroneous idea that I can just go to school for a few months and begin working at home, and sadly it does not work this way.

I know, I get a little frustrated when I read peoples post who are upset that they can't go straight from school to working from home. I realize they believe it because the schools tell them that, but I do think they are not entirely to blame, as most students do not do research before signing up for classes.

Not only does coding take awhile to get the hang of, but the schools do not even teach enough for most new grads to even be comptentent coders and then they wonder why employers don't want to hire them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.