What do you enjoy most about your cognos developer career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a cognos developer? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

BI Centre in Ottawa, Ontario

102 months ago

Hello, in Ottawa Cognos BI appears to be in most government departments so work is readily available from an employee and consulting perspective. I started off as a programmer so I have been able to integrate .NET with Cognos, and I have been exposed to the world of report development using the Cognos toolset.

I'm learning as I go, so yes it is challenging.

The introduction of CRN and Cognos 8 with a web services background has changed the required skill set to be a strong overall developer.

bicentre.blogspot.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sobia in Ottawa, Ontario

71 months ago

BI Centre in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hello, in Ottawa Cognos BI appears to be in most government departments so work is readily available from an employee and consulting perspective. I started off as a programmer so I have been able to integrate .NET with Cognos, and I have been exposed to the world of report development using the Cognos toolset.

I'm learning as I go, so yes it is challenging.

The introduction of CRN and Cognos 8 with a web services background has changed the required skill set to be a strong overall developer.

bicentre.blogspot.com

Hi ,

I am a new graduate from University of Ottawa with a interest in Cognos BI.

I am trained in Cognos 8 modules (Report Studio, Query Studio, Framework Manager, Power play Transformer, Data Manager as well as a understanding of Data warehousing Concepts )

I am looking for any internship or entry level role as a report writer ,please help me with any information it will be most helpful.I need to somehow find a footing in this industry please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BI Centre in Ottawa, Ontario

71 months ago

Hello, I was in a similar situation when I was trying to crack into the .NET market. I would recommend going to monster.com and workopolis and identify the various types of Cognos roles that typically exist. You should then work to get experience in the areas that interest you the most. I would also recommend that you learn BI itself and not focus on a technology. Once you have a CV you should then contact several recruiting agencies that have Cognos experience. It's tough to break into the government market at first unless you have some project experience.

Good luck

bicentre.blogspot.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.