Are Telemarketing Service Agencies and Market Research Firms Disappearing?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

As you know, I've been working in call centers on and off since 1983. I have worked as an outbound telemarketer, market research interviewer, telephone fundraiser, call center operator, and customer service representative.

I just lost my last job as a part-time telephone agent back in July. I had worked for a company that supplies sample (numbers to dial) to market research firms. I have tried to apply for a part-time day job as a telephone interviewer, but the companies that I've contacted are either not hiring at all, don't hire telephone interviewers, hire for night only, they've closed up, or the call centers are now out of state.

Don't get me wrong now. Prior to my last job, I worked at a market research firm for four years as a telephone interviewer, and I was a darn good one. But most of the work there was at night, and there's limited public transportation in the area after 9 o'clock at night; which is mainly why I quit.

Ditto for the telemarketing service agencies. They were a lot of telemarketing jobs around when I first got into it back in the 1980's; but now, because of the Do-Not-Call List, I think a lot of them have all since gone out of business. That includes some of the ones that I've worked at before.

I am looking for a part-time call center job, but I'm beginning to wonder if these jobs are now disappearing? I have been looking at call center jobs with other companies are not telemarekting service agencies. But I'm just wondering if anybody else has done the same thing.

Please feel free to post here and let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

I can tell you this. Earlier this decade, there was a telemarketing firm in downtown Philadelphia that hired telemarketers to call businesses all over the country to sell them a "free" website, but it was not free. These companies were receiving a $29.95 charge on their bill which they did not authorize.

When I was out of work back in 2001, I applied to this firm myself, But when I found out that it was paying five something an hour (which was the minimum wage at that time), I told them that I needed at least $8.00 an hour. They would not tell me what the salary was on the phone; citing company policy.

Although I can't remember the exact wording, I do remember seeing signs posted up saying that if you didn't get any sales within your first five days, you would be fired.

Thank God that I made a smart move because this company just totally and completely ripped off the businesses that they were calling. They were also putting pressure on their telephone reps to get sales.

At the same time, there were tons of complaints against this place, and not only were they shut down, the guy who owned the place was indicted.

Let's face it: when you're dealing with businesses, and you want to sell them a product or service, they want to see something in writing first; plus they have to go through the proper channels just to get the product.

I'm so glad that I made the decision not to work at this place. As a Catholic Christian female, I was not about to rip off anybody.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.