best skill set to re-enter programming?

Comments (8)

Bob Lewiston in Trenton, New Jersey

79 months ago

I've been out of computer programming for several years and my skills are no longer current. (I used to be an applications programmer.) What does everyone think would be the best skill set to develop in order to re-enter programming as quickly as possible, and what would be the best (and most cost-effective) way to go about developing those skills? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

ML in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Bob Lewiston in Trenton, New Jersey said: I've been out of computer programming for several years and my skills are no longer current. (I used to be an applications programmer.) What does everyone think would be the best skill set to develop in order to re-enter programming as quickly as possible, and what would be the best (and most cost-effective) way to go about developing those skills? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Avoid it like the plague. Over-saturated with .NET/Java developers. If I were you, I would study ERP software such as PeopleSoft/Siebel/SAP

cincyFA in Cincinnati, Ohio

58 months ago

what I would do I would just enter" computer programmer" into the " job search" field and get the list of all the jobs available. Then I would start opening each of them and see what languages employers are looking for in candidates.

Super in Frankfort, Kentucky

57 months ago

hes just saying its oversaturated cuz he cant find a job.. its not over saturated

hamerkop in Downers Grove, Illinois

36 months ago

Hi Bob!

I am in the same situation as you - I was laided off - and I have skills and they are still applicable but not too many jobs for them so I am trying to add some new skills to my resume.

Yes, you will get SO many "negatives" giving you advice. Lots of people who are mad or angry because they can't find a job in IT (or at least not a job that pays they what they are USED too - which is often an obscene amount). Don't ever go and post on the dice.com forums - all the people on there are SO negative it is horrible.

Even though I can't find anything - I don't see it as impossible either. There is so much technology out there - SOMEONE has to be getting the jobs right? It will be hard but if you need a job you can't give up right? (what choice do we have?) My friends who have the same IT background as me are still getting jobs so I can't see that it is completely hopeless.

I am so sick of the negativeness on some of the online IT forums. Sometimes I wonder if it is just people trying to disuade other programmers from searching so they will give up and it will mean more jobs for them. Or it could be a troll from another country who wants to secure a job in America.

good Luck and I hope you find something. :)

Mike in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Have you gone through the job specs of IT jobs lately? Each one is 2-3 pages long, lists a myriad of arbitrary skills, specific required industry experience, and other inane criteria. Additionally, your previous experience is absolutely worthless unless it meets the exact requirements above.

If you are lucky to obtain a job, you will be working over 40hrs/week on salary (unpaid OT), working weekends as necessary, and doing the work of the guy who was laid off in addition to your own.

My advice for young people is to go into a field where you can put in 25-30 years of service, then retire in your 50s and collect a pension at almost the same rate as your salary (teaching, government work, etc).

IT is a hobby.

Bluetea in Texas

36 months ago

Mike in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Have you gone through the job specs of IT jobs lately? Each one is 2-3 pages long, lists a myriad of arbitrary skills, specific required industry experience, and other inane criteria. Additionally, your previous experience is absolutely worthless unless it meets the exact requirements above.

My advice for young people is to go into a field where you can put in 25-30 years of service, then retire in your 50s and collect a pension at almost the same rate as your salary (teaching, government work, etc).

I agree. As a career, pass on IT. There are way too many problems with this field now.

JP in Virginia Beach, Virginia

35 months ago

Super in Frankfort, Kentucky said: hes just saying its oversaturated cuz he cant find a job.. its not over saturated

Yes it IS oversaturated, what are you crazy and in denial or something.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.