Getting a construction project manager job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing construction project manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Jerry Caldwell in Santa Monica, California

77 months ago

I think one of the key moves I made was learning to effectively use a computer. As a carpenter with loads of experience & a very sore back I was really concerned about my future. I began by taking a self taught programming course which might seem unrelated but actually a good construction schedule has a lot in common with a well written program. I then really networked hard with all departments at my current job, even though at the time I didn't call it that. I just really wanted to learn what goes on in the office supporting a multi-million dollar project. Bit by bit I eased into estimator, then to proj. mgr. and am now VP of Const. for a solid company. I guess the process was being available, being alert to unfilled needs and offering to fill them. The needs ranged from more effective reporting from the field, a better way of presenting change orders, streamlining the subs invoice approval process. Anywhere you see a need to improve something jump in and do it. You will get beat up a bit, and rejected but in the long run it will pay off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve Koop in Grand Rapids, Michigan

62 months ago

Jerry Caldwell in Santa Monica, California said: I think one of the key moves I made was learning to effectively use a computer. As a carpenter with loads of experience & a very sore back I was really concerned about my future. I began by taking a self taught programming course which might seem unrelated but actually a good construction schedule has a lot in common with a well written program. I then really networked hard with all departments at my current job, even though at the time I didn't call it that. I just really wanted to learn what goes on in the office supporting a multi-million dollar project. Bit by bit I eased into estimator, then to proj. mgr. and am now VP of Const. for a solid company. I guess the process was being available, being alert to unfilled needs and offering to fill them. The needs ranged from more effective reporting from the field, a better way of presenting change orders, streamlining the subs invoice approval process. Anywhere you see a need to improve something jump in and do it. You will get beat up a bit, and rejected but in the long run it will pay off.

I'm looking for a position as a Construction Project Manager. I have excellent qualifications. I have a Master's in Architecture from U of M and a background in construction management; including working my way up to Senior Project Mgr and then to Director of Project Mgmt. Please e-mail me if you are aware of any open positions. steve_koop@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.