In Need of Project Management Advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Tamara in Pearl River, New York

24 months ago

I have been managing the office of a small construction contracting company, It was mostly clerical work in the beginning and now the only problem is that we are not as small anymore and the management process is becoming increasingly complex. We went from 0 to 4 custom projects so fast I didn't have time in between for formal education. Which I'm not against, I'll go. But for the time being I need to learn a few key things in short order. I've done requisitions & schedules but I have NO field management experience. I have a GC and an excellent employee who can handle the field for now if our whole operation can be streamlined. The GC is doing as much as he can but its the paperwork and preventative measures that need immediate attention.

Our biggest issues/complaints so far:
Wasted man hours often, poor workmanship occasionally, messy work site occasionally-
the guys need constant supervision and development, but it starts with management..
1) How quickly can I train my employee to manage the field, and how can I get my contractor organized so he can focus on the workmanship?

Finances are not properly managed
2) what processes can i put in place to stop this.
3) Do I open a bank account for each project to keep finances separate?

I would also like to ask a few questions about the profession itself although it is going to be difficult to focus on my development until my blood pressure goes down.
4) What materials do I need to read NOW. are there busier forums or mentors available?
5) Is life as a project manager always this stressful??
any other advice is welcome and thank you for your time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.