The new realities and deliberate disrespect to us all as candidates - My recent direct interview with an employer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

dadofvinandmike

57 months ago

Field Report (make a cup of tea and have a seat folks) from the trenches of NYC construction:
On a 3/11/10 interview both subtle and obvious insults to me and my career even before and then even after I walked through the front door of a firm for an interview.
1- I answered an ad that contained a desire to recruit both a PM and a Super distinctly 2 separate hires they where looking for. I answered seeking the PM position the last 10 years of my career, I am also a NYC Dept. of Buildings licensed Superintendent of Construction.
2- About less than 10 days after submitting my resume I get a call on it requesting an interview for, and I always clarify politely in such a call, the PM position gratefully accepting the invitation to meet.
3- Two days before the interview an email; "oh there was an inter-office miscommunication and we want to see you for the Super position, can you confirm that's ok with you"? I reply in an email I have successfully performed as a Super in my career and being appreciative of the invitation: "Sure, I'll be there". The old bait and switch folks.
4- At the interview they give their pitch with the typical corporate 'hype'. I give my pitch without the hype, my 32 year career, employment history and professional references on my resume not to mention my being unemployed only since February 4, 1020 during this 2 year mess we're all in. That, my background, should speak for itself. THE NEW REALITY: Big deal; to very few out there that means something, but to myself always.
5- An admission by the interviewer, I knew when said preposterous, that the reduced plan set before me on the conference table is a job in progress with the NYC TA is being superintended by a weak employee of the firm. I know, without saying in keeping this to myself, how unlikely that any site superintendent placed by a private firm is that incompetent that only upon the approval of an Agency Commissioner as well as the removal or replacement of a site super is equally upo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dadofvinandmike

57 months ago

Sorry part two:
replacement of a site super is equally upon consent of the Agency Commissioner. Right there and not too deep into the general conditions of any project specification for a NYC public job is that requirement to the private firm contracted for a job.
6- Amazed, I am told then that I am then again PM material to the interviewer and that he represents to me his firm being in contract with the NYC DDC for a new library project putting me into the surrealistic world of the double bait and switch.
7- That the interviewer want's me to take that reduced set of project drawings home with me, in the event that "you MAY be called back" for a second interview to bring back with me my version of a scope of work outline. THE NEW REALITY: our time is not as valuable as their time. That while an 18 year old new to the work force is entitled by Labor Law to be paid for any training period of perhaps their first paid job, we as construction professionals are asked to spend, in this case, as much as a full work week without any compensation in order to polish our own star to the satisfaction of a firm who may make us part of round two or three of their "cattle call to slaughter".
8- So, that I insisted to be on a "level playing field" by having also the Technical Specifications given to me in order to do a thorough and (uncompensated I keep to myself) scope of work, I was invited to return in the afternoon to pick up the Specs and then be given complete and final 'instructions' for my 'homework assignment'.
9- I did return as arranged late in the afternoon. Instead of the TA job plan set I am given plans and specs for the Library project that they represent to me they are in contract with the City of NY DDC. During the final instructions for my 'home work assignment' again not compensated to remind you readers, I am given another direct insult that 'classic': "Your over qualified to be a construction superintendent"! I say to myself what planet did this guy sur

Cip in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

57 months ago

Mike, I'm sorry you have to go thru all of these bull crap, this is exactly what they are doing to those poor immigrants, they used them , abused them and then they do not pay them.
Let me know about your next interview.

dadofvinandmike

57 months ago

Cip in Fair Lawn, New Jersey said: Mike, I'm sorry you have to go thru all of these bull crap, this is exactly what they are doing to those poor immigrants, they used them , abused them and then they do not pay them.
Let me know about your next interview.

Thanks Cip and will do on the next one.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.