Getting a controller job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing controller work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

dania in Adrian, Georgia

84 months ago

i was wondering the same question and was wondering if you have the answer to your question. if do... could you let me know
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Cincinnati, Ohio

78 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing controller work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Education is an important foundation for the Controller position. Not only should a person have a BS in Accounting, but they should have a Masters in Business Administration or a Masters in Accounting.

I started in a small company as a co-op student. This experience taught me the various Accounting responsibilities, including Acc. Rec, Acc. Payable, Inventory, Payroll, General journal entries, financial statement preparation, and many non-accounting duties. I was eager to learn every business aspect.

My first Controller position was with a small company, which I developed a job cost system and implemented a new financial system.

I continued my education by attending seminars, reading business magazines, and attending round tables. I have educated myself in other disciplines, such as human resources.

You should know spreadsheets such as Excel or Lotus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Johnson in Albuquerque, New Mexico

76 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing controller work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

YOu have to love accounting and always be willing to give 150%.

My first exposure to accounting was a night audit position. I took it to get extra hours from driving the courtesy shuttle in the day time. I did night audit for 1 year with several hotels.

Then i landed a job with a construction company doing accounts payable. In this job I moved up from AP and did job costing, finance activities, general ledger activity. I worked here for 7 years. The last 2 years I began attending university of phoenix. I am currently enrolled there.

I am now a controller and have been for the last year and a half.

It is more than education. It is a mindset of taking yourself to higher levels in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.