Top convention services manager skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every convention services manager must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your convention services manager expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Denver, Colorado

116 months ago

If you are referring to the hotel industry - most people have usually moved up from working in banquets or catering departments. You need to be willing to work undesireable hours, very well organized, and able to deal with people who are very stressed out about their event.

Getting a CMP designation is helpful (certified meeting planner). This is offered my PCMA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daphne in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Interesting. I heard a CSM speak about his job and he said he keeps pretty normal hours. There are some cases where he is on call at any time for an event but overall he worked normal business hours. Also, he said that he spends a lot of time in meetings and number crunching, forecasting.

How long does it take to accumulate experience for the CMP? I looked at the application and it seemed like a lot of work. They actually look at what percentage of your time/job is spent on planning/managing meetings. I think they want 3 years experience and if your job is not 100% meeting planning, you do not get a full year's credit for that. From what I have learned in classes, there are a lot of jobs that are not 100% meeting planning. It could be 50%, 40%, 30% of your job. So, if this is the case it seems that it could take a long time to meet the requirements for a CMP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.