Entry-Level Copy Editor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

angelakellysf in San Francisco, California

71 months ago

I have come to the conclusion that being a copy editor is the job for me. A lifelong reader, it is rare that I do not spot a typo in every book, magazine, newspaper, or blog that I read. I'm interning at a local newspaper, but I'm looking for something meatier, and I'm also looking to get paid. Are there any forums or people that I can find/talk to, to get advice about where to start? I'm looking to immerse myself into relevant job experience...know of anything?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Copy Editor in New York, New York

71 months ago

Hi Angela,

Check out copyeditor.com and mediabistro.com and perhaps the editorial freelancers association. That should get you started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Proofer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

58 months ago

Don't confuse "copy editing" with "proofreading." Finding typos is good for a proofreader. Copy editing requires a lot more than finding errata. To be a good copy editor, you have to know the ins and outs of the English language, consistency in POV and tenses, be good at suggesting how to massage the writer's work (whether it be a sentence or a whole passage) for better reading, clearer expression, etc. A proofreader does not necessarily do copy editing (tho that's helpful, certainly); a good copy editor must also be a good proofreader.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.