Anyone work for PA DOC?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Estaban in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

I sent my packet back now waiting for the next step, anyone know what is in store for me and have any advice for someone who has there heart set on this???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rich4lyn in Reading, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

FIND ANOUTHER JOB This one stinks. If you think you are going to make a difference, QUIT BEFORE YOU START!!!! The DOC wants blind solders. They want a body to fill a post, and nothing more. The inmates are the scum of life and the administration is worse. On the job you will have urine and worse thrown on you, and be assaulted by the inmates. You can't swing back on you not only will lose your job, but you will be subject to charges. And yes the DOC will press those charges. We have the highest rates of sucide, devorce, and alcholism of any other profession. The only good thing about the job is it will pay the bills, provided you don't advance past Sergeant or COII. My advise after over 25 years on the job is DON"T APPLY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MATT STUART in Villanova, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

EASY NOW....THE JOB IS A CAREER. PLAIN AND SIMPLE YOU CAN SWEEP FLOORS FOR A LIVING, YOU CAN SERVE DRINKS FOR A LIVING OR YOU CAN DO A MULTITUDE OF OTHER THINGS. BUT...HAVING WORKED AT TWO PA PRISONS....GRATERSFORD AND CHESTER, I CAN TELL YOU THERE ARE EASIER PRISONS TO WORK AND HARDER PRISONS TO WORK. I LIKED THE JOB. I SIMPLY DID IT FOR FIVE YEARS AND THEN BECAME A COP. I LOOK BACK AND SEE THE GOOD AND THE BAD. I USED THE DOC FOR A STEPPING STONE. THE DOC GOT A GOOD EMPLOYEE FOR FIVE YEARS AND I GOT EXPERIENCE.
AS FOR WHAT YOU ARE IN FOR??? ON THE JOB TRAINING FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND A SHORT STINT AT E-TOWN ACADEMY. GOOD LUCK KID.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Erie, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Estaban in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania said: I sent my packet back now waiting for the next step, anyone know what is in store for me and have any advice for someone who has there heart set on this???

Just stand by...its a waiting game...shouldnt be too long...i heard back real quick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

matt stuart in Havertown, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Hey, Its just waiting for mail or the phone to ring. You wont have to long to wait. you will take the civil svc. test and about 4 to 6 weeks after you will get results and ranking. Its not to long a process. Now...maybe look into very comfortable tac. boots and maybe some white t's and padded socks...you will be walking your tail off alot. You will rotate every position in the jail in your probation year. You will do some positions many times but every post you will work. There are dozens of posts to work kiddo. Visitors search, kitchen security, corridor security, yard, cell search team, security posts, infirmary, schools, outside patrol armed, inside patrol, control, and so many others. You can only keep your head for now and be ready to learn when the time comes. stay clean on the legal side, no citations or disorderly conducts....this will kill ya. You will be fine just relax. any questions email me...dadscolts@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gaurd1210 in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

They are right, it is a waiting game...however, like someone said you take the civil service test...wait a few weeks,(about 4) get your score and ranking (if you have military you should score fairly well). Then you have to wait again to get a job announcement from whatever counties you put in for...then wait and see if you get an interview....If you are hired the best advice i can give you is to keep your mouth shut and learn for the first year(training period). After that you will learn something new every day of your career. I have been doing this for almost ten years now and i am still learning. good luck and be patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CO1 in Altoona, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

The best advice I can give is be patient. I tested, was informed I would be hired and started 6 months later. I was driving HR nuts by calling weekly to see when I could start. I have been employed by ,in many peoples opinion, the best prison in the state for over two years and it was worth the wait. I could have started at a different prison (SCI's Smithfield, Houtzdale, Huntingdon) but I chose to wait on my prison so I didn't have to wait on the transfer list in the future. DOC jobs are not hard. There are some real boneheads that make it through the day. Just don't come in all hardcore and don't believe the prison is organized along military lines like I did. There is a rank structure but it's a joke. Don't come in like you know it all and be willing to take advice from co-workers even if you heard it 1000 times already. There are many jobs within the DOC that you can transfer to once you get your "foot in the door" if the CO job isn't for you. Lastly, don't be afraid to do the tough jobs. I work in the RHU and it's very rewarding compared to watching inmates on the walks. Not only have I developed good relationships with co-workers that I trust but I have also made a name for myself versus those who run away and hide for 8 hrs. Keep an open mind and don't forget to laugh...it's just a job. Keep the work at work and don't bring it home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Asome01 in Waco, Texas

37 months ago

MATT STUART in Villanova, Pennsylvania said: EASY NOW....THE JOB IS A CAREER. PLAIN AND SIMPLE YOU CAN SWEEP FLOORS FOR A LIVING, YOU CAN SERVE DRINKS FOR A LIVING OR YOU CAN DO A MULTITUDE OF OTHER THINGS. BUT...HAVING WORKED AT TWO PA PRISONS....GRATERSFORD AND CHESTER, I CAN TELL YOU THERE ARE EASIER PRISONS TO WORK AND HARDER PRISONS TO WORK. I LIKED THE JOB. I SIMPLY DID IT FOR FIVE YEARS AND THEN BECAME A COP. I LOOK BACK AND SEE THE GOOD AND THE BAD. I USED THE DOC FOR A STEPPING STONE. THE DOC GOT A GOOD EMPLOYEE FOR FIVE YEARS AND I GOT EXPERIENCE.
AS FOR WHAT YOU ARE IN FOR??? ON THE JOB TRAINING FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND A SHORT STINT AT E-TOWN ACADEMY. GOOD LUCK KID.

In your opinion which unit was the easiest to work at?
In your opinion, which unit was easier to work at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

I am begining the application process. Can anyone tell me how the prison is in Pittsburg? Which is the best/worst ones to work at? Also what are the shifts do you work 7-3, 8-4, what are the hours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rozier CO1 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

Asome01 in Waco, Texas said: In your opinion which unit was the easiest to work at?
In your opinion, which unit was easier to work at?

Any Post in Sci Chester its fun been there for 3 yrs and 22 in the Navy

Bernard in Philly in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

Rozier CO1 in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: Any Post in Sci Chester its fun been there for 3 yrs and 22 in the Navy

I have a conditional job offer at SCI Graterford, and only have the physical ability test to pass on 10/23/12. Just last week I received an availability survey to work at CHS Chester SCI. This is the location of my choice. Do I have to re-do the whole process over including TB, Backround and medical eval or can my records be transferred? All my testing was done within the past month. And what does CHS(work location)stand for? Thanks for the advise!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dustin2288 in East Berlin, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

What are the standards for the physical ability test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rozier CO1 in Toms River, New Jersey

22 months ago

Bernard in Philly in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: I have a conditional job offer at SCI Graterford, and only have the physical ability test to pass on 10/23/12. Just last week I received an availability survey to work at CHS Chester SCI. This is the location of my choice. Do I have to re-do the whole process over including TB, Backround and medical eval or can my records be transferred? All my testing was done within the past month. And what does CHS(work location)stand for? Thanks for the advise!

No we are the same DOC you will need too just ask to be switched before the school CO Boot camp....
CHS is Chester every institution have a 3 letter code.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

female c/o in Philly in Baltimore, Maryland

20 months ago

Bernard in Philly in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: I have a conditional job offer at SCI Graterford, and only have the physical ability test to pass on 10/23/12. Just last week I received an availability survey to work at CHS Chester SCI. This is the location of my choice. Do I have to re-do the whole process over including TB, Backround and medical eval or can my records be transferred? All my testing was done within the past month. And what does CHS(work location)stand for? Thanks for the advise!
hi Bernard, how did u do on your last test? Also when did u start your process from application to now? How long did it take? What was your score or rank...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ldot in Montclair, New Jersey

18 months ago

Ive just completed the physical fitness and psychological test for SCI Graterford and i completed both TB test what happens now?

mike in Levittown, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

Ldot in Montclair, New Jersey said: Ive just completed the physical fitness and psychological test for SCI Graterford and i completed both TB test what happens now?

hey, can you tell me how long after you received your score and rank did you get a follow up letter to take fitness test? I took my test back in july and scored a 100. I was hoping to hear something by now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

greentrumpet in Tamaqua, Pennsylvania

8 months ago

The whole process took one year for me. After the conditional offer of employment, it took three months

Blk Marauder in Elkridge, Maryland

6 months ago

Can anyone tell me about the PAT test at SCI Camp Hill? Is the bike test really at 125 watts?

6 months ago

greentrumpet in Tamaqua, Pennsylvania said: The whole process took one year for me. After the conditional offer of employment, it took three months

What was the PAT like?

6 months ago

Ldot in Montclair, New Jersey said: Ive just completed the physical fitness and psychological test for SCI Graterford and i completed both TB test what happens now?

What was the physical test like? Is the bike test hard?

shake23roll in Lincoln, Nebraska

3 months ago

I am interested in applying to becoming a corrections officer, and was wondering which facilities offer the most overtime? What times are each shift? Is there shift differentials?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.