Nevada State Corrections

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 702)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Chris in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

I passed the physical fitness test, and took the drug test and physch exam. I go a conditional offer of employment stating: It will take 10-16 months for the entire process. I tested April 11 2009. Has anyone gone through this similar situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve Truong in Saratoga, California

64 months ago

That is very normal, man. In CA, the process could take up to 2 years before hired. I know it sucks, but that's how it is. I'm gonna try with NV Corrections next month. Hope it will go faster than expected.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lane County Sgt. in Eugene, Oregon

64 months ago

Steve Truong in Saratoga, California said: That is very normal, man. In CA, the process could take up to 2 years before hired. I know it sucks, but that's how it is. I'm gonna try with NV Corrections next month. Hope it will go faster than expected.

If you live in Saratoga, think about coming up to Eugene for our testing at Lane County. Posting closes soon. We are only about 500 miles away. Less than a 9 hour drive (my dad lives in Saratoga) www.lanecounty.org for info. Process takes 3-4 months from application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve Truong in Saratoga, California

63 months ago

Lane County Sgt. in Eugene, Oregon said: If you live in Saratoga, think about coming up to Eugene for our testing at Lane County. Posting closes soon. We are only about 500 miles away. Less than a 9 hour drive (my dad lives in Saratoga) www.lanecounty.org for info. Process takes 3-4 months from application.

Thank you very much for your help, I truly appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shooter in Las Vegas, Nevada

52 months ago

I've been with the department for nearly 20 years. If there is any questions I can answer, just ask!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cornbread5151 in Snoqualmie, Washington

52 months ago

Shooter in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I've been with the department for nearly 20 years. If there is any questions I can answer, just ask!

hey I wanted to know what's the passing score fo the neveda corrections test? N how long does it take for me to find out if I pass?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Cornbread5151 in Snoqualmie, Washington said: hey I wanted to know what's the passing score fo the neveda corrections test? N how long does it take for me to find out if I pass?

The passing score was 70% but has been recently set to 60% , you should here back within 2 months.

cornbread5151 in Las Vegas, Nevada

52 months ago

Shooter in Las Vegas, Nevada said: The passing score was 70% but has been recently set to 60% , you should here back within 2 months.

is that for state corrections or county? cause yesterday i took the state test and im still waiting to hear back and they said with in 24hrs and i dont know the test they gave was like nothing as what i expected... nothing related to the job...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

cornbread5151 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: is that for state corrections or county? cause yesterday i took the state test and im still waiting to hear back and they said with in 24hrs and i dont know the test they gave was like nothing as what i expected... nothing related to the job...

I doubt 24hrs, the state is never fast at anything. They are trying to hire and fill their vacant spots in light of the furlough project, perhaps pushing the process quicker than usual before there is a hiring freeze.
The Civil Service Exam is usually sent up to Carson City for scoring and is a general exam not specific to any one department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

viking in Saugus, Massachusetts

50 months ago

Hello.

I just wanted to ask if anyone is currently in The Southern Nevada state Corrections ( Indian Springs, Jean, Henderson ). I am interrested in applying with the State DOC for southern Nevada but i dont want to be sent to Ely.
Any one with any informations regarding the testing process ,academy and reparations that can e mail me ould be great.

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ken in Union Springs, Alabama

48 months ago

hey i just wanna know do anyone know the positive score for alabama correctional exam?

Mark

45 months ago

Shooter in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I've been with the department for nearly 20 years. If there is any questions I can answer, just ask!

Hey Shooter,

I'm a Correctional Officer for the State Of Rhode Island currently in my 9th year, I am considering Relocating to Las Vegas within a year or so and I want to consider NLVC or PD.. I was wondering if you could help with some questions. Does your department accepts transfers and or current state time that I have with RI? Would I have to go through your academy for hiring process? Would I be at more at an advantage given my experience to be hired assuming all testing was passed? Also given your States budget issues will there be another Hiring anytime soon? Sorry I have a ton of questions and you seem like the right person to ask..anything else you can add would be a huge help and be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

45 months ago

Mark said: Hey Shooter,

I'm a Correctional Officer for the State Of Rhode Island currently in my 9th year, I am considering Relocating to Las Vegas within a year or so and I want to consider NLVC or PD.. I was wondering if you could help with some questions. Does your department accepts transfers and or current state time that I have with RI? Would I have to go through your academy for hiring process? Would I be at more at an advantage given my experience to be hired assuming all testing was passed? Also given your States budget issues will there be another Hiring anytime soon? Sorry I have a ton of questions and you seem like the right person to ask..anything else you can add would be a huge help and be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

The department does not accept laterals from other states and you would be require to attend the full academy.
With your prior experience, you could be hired as an officer rather a cadet with a full year of probation before being promoted to correctional officer, which is a 15% pay deference. Yes, they are currently hiring to fill vacancies.

Mark

45 months ago

Very good, thanks for your response. However I didn't see any postings for Correctional jobs in North Las Vegas just Nevada State..would that be the same as NLV Corrections or different entirely? Also if you could elaborate a bit more on the job, what I mean is I know the recruitment page makes it sound great with the pay and benefits, but I'm more concerned with job security? Here in RI it's nearly impossible to get laid off from a Law Enforcement job and I came across an older article where 19 of you guys in NLV were let go due to budget restraints. That's really a big concern I have with relocating and all. So if you could get into the impact the State budget has on the department? For instance: Post cuts, benefits, quality of work environment and the overall moral of the Officers a little bit more I'd really appreciate it. Again Sorry for so many questions...

If it makes things a little easier:
My Email is MrMax23@aol.com

Thanks Again,
Mark

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark

45 months ago

Shooter in Las Vegas, Nevada said: The department does not accept laterals from other states and you would be require to attend the full academy.
With your prior experience, you could be hired as an officer rather a cadet with a full year of probation before being promoted to correctional officer, which is a 15% pay deference. Yes, they are currently hiring to fill vacancies.

Very good, thanks for your response. However I didn't see any postings for Correctional jobs in North Las Vegas just Nevada State..would that be the same as NLV Corrections or different entirely? Also if you could elaborate a bit more on the job, what I mean is I know the recruitment page makes it sound great with the pay and benefits, but I'm more concerned with job security? Here in RI it's nearly impossible to get laid off from a Law Enforcement job and I came across an older article where 19 of you guys in NLV were let go due to budget restraints. That's really a big concern I have with relocating and all. So if you could get into the impact the State budget has on the department? For instance: Post cuts, benefits, quality of work environment and the overall moral of the Officers a little bit more I'd really appreciate it. Again Sorry for so many questions...

If it makes things a little easier:
My Email is MrMax23@aol.com

Thanks Again,
Mark

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Boonton, New Jersey

41 months ago

viking in Saugus, Massachusetts said: Hello.

I just wanted to ask if anyone is currently in The Southern Nevada state Corrections ( Indian Springs, Jean, Henderson ). I am interrested in applying with the State DOC for southern Nevada but i dont want to be sent to Ely.
Any one with any informations regarding the testing process ,academy and reparations that can e mail me ould be great.

Thank you

Have you taken the written test yet? I received an email to report for the test this week but I was not given enought time to prepare for the trip. When I spoke with someone from DOC they told me I could be put down as a reschedule for the test. I got the email on the 6th and the test is on the 17th. I couldn't get off for work on short notice and the flight was over $600. I don't care if I go to LV area or Ely. The guy I spoke to said for every position in LV there are 100 appicants and for Ely it's -5. If you took the test already, did they allow you to complete most of the process since you came from out of state?

Joe in Dover, Delaware

40 months ago

Shooter,

Do they only give the written test when they are hiring in multiple areas? I applied to LV area and Ely but was unable to fly out for the test that just passed this Friday. Will they hold a written test if they are only hiring in Ely and not in LV or the Northern area? From what I heard from personnel, they don't get many applicants for Ely and Tonopaugh.

jennifer in Las Vegas, Nevada

38 months ago

Shooter in Las Vegas, Nevada said: The department does not accept laterals from other states and you would be require to attend the full academy.

i will bbe taking my physical fitness exam in oct. after passing what is the next step? how long will it take? i will be working in tonopah.

spanky in Fairfield, California

38 months ago

jennifer in Las Vegas, Nevada said: i will bbe taking my physical fitness exam in oct. after passing what is the next step? how long will it take? i will be working in tonopah.

I'm also taking my physical fitness on october(4th i believe) and applying for tonopah.

Dan in Wilmington, Delaware

37 months ago

I'm taking the test on October 18th. If you pass the physical they do the psych and interview. Before you leave they give you a personal history questionaire that you have to send back for the background. Do you live closer to Tonopah? Do you live in the Vegas area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Dan in Wilmington, Delaware said: I'm taking the test on October 18th. If you pass the physical they do the psych and interview. Before you leave they give you a personal history questionaire that you have to send back for the background. Do you live closer to Tonopah? Do you live in the Vegas area?

I DO LIVE IN VEGAS. BUT, WILLING TO TRAVEL TO BEAUTIFUL TONOPAH!!!!LOL....I WAS IN ELY LAST WEEK AND YOU KNOW, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL....IT LOOKED LIKE A TOWN IN ASPEN... BELIVIE IT OR NOT. I CAN DO ALL THE FITNESS TESTS, BUT I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT I AM ALITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE 1.5 MILE RUN......IN 17 MIN!!!! IM AM FREAKING OUT!!!!! IM NOT A RUNNER, IM A LOVER....

37 months ago

Dan in Wilmington, Delaware said: I'm taking the test on October 18th. If you pass the physical they do the psych and interview. Before you leave they give you a personal history questionaire that you have to send back for the background. Do you live closer to Tonopah? Do you live in the Vegas area?

I DO LIVE IN VEGAS. BUT, WILLING TO TRAVEL TO BEAUTIFUL TONOPAH!!!!LOL....I WAS IN ELY LAST WEEK AND YOU KNOW, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL....IT LOOKED LIKE A TOWN IN ASPEN... BELIVIE IT OR NOT. I CAN DO ALL THE FITNESS TESTS, BUT I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT I AM ALITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE 1.5 MILE RUN......IN 17 MIN!!!! IM AM FREAKING OUT!!!!! IM NOT A RUNNER, IM A LOVER....

37 months ago

jennifer in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I DO LIVE IN VEGAS. BUT, WILLING TO TRAVEL TO BEAUTIFUL TONOPAH!!!!LOL....I WAS IN ELY LAST WEEK AND YOU KNOW, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL....IT LOOKED LIKE A TOWN IN ASPEN... BELIVIE IT OR NOT. I CAN DO ALL THE FITNESS TESTS, BUT I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT I AM ALITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE 1.5 MILE RUN......IN 17 MIN!!!! IM AM FREAKING OUT!!!!! IM NOT A RUNNER, IM A LOVER....

Just start running now. 17 minutes is A LOT of time to complete a mile and a half run. I applied to Ely too but it will be easier finding a place in the Vegas area. I really wasn't able to find any apartments in Ely. I'm coming out there for the test but I didn't know that Ely was over 4 hours from Vegas. I won't have time to take a trip up there like I was planning to. I would seriously start running a little every day. Some places only give you 13 minutes to run the mile and a half. 17 is more than enough time. You'll be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

makomike in Henderson, Nevada

37 months ago

Is anybody taking the physical test on November 1, 2011 for NVDOC?
I too am scarred to death of the run.
I sure would like to open a line of dialogue with anybody that has any info on the process.
I'm BEGGING!

37 months ago

Is anybody else taking the physical exam on November 1, 2011??
I too am scarred to death of the 1.5 mile run seeing as I've never run a lap in my life.
I sure would like to open a line of dialogue with anybody that can give me some info on the process.
thanks in advance.

37 months ago

makomike in Henderson, Nevada said: Is anybody else taking the physical exam on November 1, 2011??
I too am scarred to death of the 1.5 mile run seeing as I've never run a lap in my life.
I sure would like to open a line of dialogue with anybody that can give me some info on the process.
thanks in advance.

Find a high school track and run a lap then walk a lap to get yourself started. You should be able to run at least two laps in a row ( half mile). You will be sore after the first time you run but within a couple weeks you should be comfortable running/jogging six laps. You don't want to show up there having never run before. You really don't need more than a jogging pace to complete the run in the time they're giving you.

37 months ago

Thats what I've been doing this week.
So far Ive run twice.
So far so good.
ANY TIPS ON ANY OTHER PART OF THE TEST?

37 months ago

spanky in Fairfield, California said: I'm also taking my physical fitness on october(4th i believe) and applying for tonopah.

Did you go to the test yesterday? @ makomike the rest of the test seems pretty basic. I think the agility run is running around cones. If you google search " Nevada Correction Officer Physical Requirements" something comes up that explains all of the tests. There are no sit ups for the POST III.

37 months ago

Yeah..Dan in Wil..I did that.
Thanks.
The only thing that worries me is the 1.5 mile run and the sprint.
I'm trying my hardest.
But I only got 32 days notice. I thought it was going to take months before I got called.
I'm Googling the hell out of "running 1.5 miles" From what Ive read 17min and 30 seconds is quite liberal in terms of amount of time.
I'm going to start hitting the track every day instead of every other day.
I've only gone twice so far---but I'm gonna kick it up a few notches.
I wonder if they give you more than one attempt?
Tomorrow I'm calling the officer assigned to recruits and see what else I can find out.
Like suppose I come in a few seconds late--will they cut me a pass?

Eahenderson in Lindon, Utah

37 months ago

There is no leniency. My daughter just graduated from the NCOT in April 2011. The first day they did long jump, high jump and pushups. One of the girls couldn't jump the required inches in the high jump and she wasn't allowed to go on.

37 months ago

I figured as much.
Im gonna work my ass off with this running.

Does anybody know why the Nevada Dept. of Corrections this year has made it so there is NO WRITTEN exam?
None whatsoever.
Anybody know why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

makomike in Henderson, Nevada said: I figured as much.
Im gonna work my ass off with this running.

Does anybody know why the Nevada Dept. of Corrections this year has made it so there is NO WRITTEN exam?
None whatsoever.
Anybody know why?

I was scheduled for the written exam in June but I couldn't make the trip. They must have just decided to remove it from the process recently. Could be due to budget cuts. The good thing is that it will make the process move faster. Your score on thee written determined how long it took for you to get to the physical test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Well...im not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Do you happen to know if the physical is pass/fail?
meaning--all you have to do is COMPLETE the activity in the allotted time and move on.
OR take the 1.5 mile run---if somebody comes in ahead of me--is his ranking higher than mine?
I hope its pass/fail---easier that way.
Thanks again for your help.

37 months ago

I think its pass/fail. Are you looking to work in Indian Springs?

37 months ago

Yes, Indian Springs.

37 months ago

jennifer in Las Vegas, Nevada said: i will bbe taking my physical fitness exam in oct. after passing what is the next step? how long will it take? i will be working in tonopah.

Have you taken the test yet?

37 months ago

According to the NVDOC website--Tonopah has only 8 {eight} guards.
www.doc.nv.gov/?q=node/34

jscarano in Orlando, Florida

37 months ago

how is the psychological exam. Is there a good percentage of people that pass it. I am taking it for Nevada corrections. Do you know how difficult the process is.

37 months ago

Dan in Wilmington, Delaware said: Did you go to the test yesterday? @ makomike the rest of the test seems pretty basic. I think the agility run is running around cones. If you google search " Nevada Correction Officer Physical Requirements" something comes up that explains all of the tests. There are no sit ups for the POST III.

I got rescheduled for december 13th. I reapplied for southern.
Does anybody have any stats on what percentage fail the 1.5 mile run or the sprint?

viking82 in Danvers, Massachusetts

37 months ago

SHOOTER IN LAS VEGAS. i need to ask you few questions outide this forum if possible. They are related to NVDOC.
My e mail is praetorian81@aol.com

Thank you

37 months ago

Does anybody have a link to a site that gives examples FROM ANY STATE about the psychological exam for a correction dept?
Any state?
I would like some ideas on what they ask.

JENNIFER

37 months ago

makomike in Henderson, Nevada said: Thats what I've been doing this week.
So far Ive run twice.
So far so good.
ANY TIPS ON ANY OTHER PART OF THE TEST?

PRACTICE ON YOUR PUSH UPS/

JENNIFER

37 months ago

I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO ALL OF YOU AND KEEP IN TOUCH, AND SEE WHO FAR WE ALL GET IN THIS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME @ MOREIRAJENNIFER@YMAIL.COM.I GOT ANOTHER PHYSICAL FITNESS EXA IN INDIAN SPRINGS ON THE 25,OCT. I GOT THE PUSH UP PART DOWN,THE 15 IN. JUMP, ILL.RUN, THAT WAS FUN.... I HAVE BEEN WALKING ALOT TO REGAIN MUSCLE IN LEGS FOR THE RUNS. WISH ME LUK!!!! 1.5 MILES IS NOT THAT FAR.. 4000 STEPS!!!! I WANT THIS SO BAD!!! I WAS TOLD BY MY BOYFRIEND THAT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT, I WANT TO THROW THIS IN HIS FACE!!! PRAY FOR ME GUYS!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

JENNIFER said: I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO ALL OF YOU AND KEEP IN TOUCH, AND SEE WHO FAR WE ALL GET IN THIS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME @ MOREIRAJENNIFER@YMAIL.COM.I GOT ANOTHER PHYSICAL FITNESS EXA IN INDIAN SPRINGS ON THE 25,OCT. I GOT THE PUSH UP PART DOWN,THE 15 IN. JUMP, ILL.RUN, THAT WAS FUN.... I HAVE BEEN WALKING ALOT TO REGAIN MUSCLE IN LEGS FOR THE RUNS. WISH ME LUK!!!! 1.5 MILES IS NOT THAT FAR.. 4000 STEPS!!!! I WANT THIS SO BAD!!! I WAS TOLD BY MY BOYFRIEND THAT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT, I WANT TO THROW THIS IN HIS FACE!!! PRAY FOR ME GUYS!!!!

Let me know how it goes jen. I was going to attend the october 25th test for Tonopah but switched to December 13th for southern. what made you choose Tonopah over southern?

JENNIFER

36 months ago

AFTER PASSING PHYSICAL FITNESS EXAM, WHEN WILL I START THE ACADEMY?I WILL BE PASSING ON 25. OCT.. AND WHERE WILL THE ACADEMY BE LOCATED? I HAVE APPLIED FOR TONOPHA,ELY,INDIAN SPRINGS..

JENNIFER

36 months ago

viking82 in Danvers, Massachusetts said: SHOOTER IN LAS VEGAS. i need to ask you few questions outide this forum if possible. They are related to NVDOC.
My e mail is praetorian81@aol.com

Thank you

MOREIRAJENNIFER@YMAIL.COM
I HAVE SOME QUESTIUONS FOR YOU IF YOU DONT MIND...

36 months ago

Recruiter told me 5 acadamies will be running in 2012. He told me that if i pass everything on December 13th i should be going to the March or June academy. I can't wait to start the academy. Anybody know how many weeks the academy consists of?

eahenderson in Lindon, Utah

36 months ago

Was 6 now it's 5 weeks.

viking82 in Danvers, Massachusetts

36 months ago

spanky in Fairfield, California said: Recruiter told me 5 acadamies will be running in 2012. He told me that if i pass everything on December 13th i should be going to the March or June academy. I can't wait to start the academy. Anybody know how many weeks the academy consists of?

Correctional academy was 8 weeks long few years back. Recently they cut it down to 6 or 7 weeks due to cuts.

I believe thay had Southern and Northern academy centers before, i am not sure how try run right now since they are taking much less recruits than few years back.

Regarding the readiness to pass the tests, be honest, physical part is very easy compare to other states and departments. I originalyy passed the exams in 2008 and i passed medical and psych but due to some out of my hands circumstances i had to scrap everything to stay on a East coast.

Good luck with the academy to all of you who received the calls. Keep in touch and tell us how is academy lift with. I will be applying again next year since my contract here is about to expire in few months.

BEST way to get in running shape is program called COUCH POTATOE TO 5 K. Also if you have chance go to a high school track and run up and down the blechers. It does miracle on your legs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

spanky in Fairfield, California said: I was going to attend the october 25th test for Tonopah but switched to December 13th for southern.

How is it that you can switch the test date?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.