Online colleges

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Probe7899 in West Islip, New York

44 months ago

I was wondering if any one knows of good legit schools where you can complete your degree completely over the computer? I heard University of Phoenix received less then satisfactory opioid from employers. Any opinions about Devry?
Thanks
Brian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lilly in Riverside, California

44 months ago

Not sure where you received info on that but here in ca university of phoenix is a great online school plus i go there and like the campus ans school program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Probe7899 in West Islip, New York

44 months ago

It was another forum a person said after getting her degree and applying for jobs the employers was less then thrilled. You may be right it could have been other factors I will take another look at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Un-HappilyEmployed in Ashland, Virginia

44 months ago

Probe7899 in West Islip, New York said: I was wondering if any one knows of good legit schools where you can complete your degree completely over the computer? I heard University of Phoenix received less then satisfactory opioid from employers. Any opinions about Devry?
Thanks
Brian

As a graduate of a state university (Virginia Commonwealth University); and an attendee of a few private institutions, as well as one online institution. I feel it is my duty, as well as my obligation, to let you know that unless you are pursuing a career in low-mid level engineering such as a software grunt or an exterminator (code de-bugger) that works 9-10 hours a day in a 4x5 cube surrounded by 100 other underpaid and under-appreciated employees that hate the very idea of getting up to go to work every morning, then you need to find a state sanctioned university that offers online courses. I graduated from VCU's School of Engineering with a bachelor's in Computer Science, and a minor in Network Systems Security. I attended school for the BA but I received the minor in NSS from home. I was getting job offers mid-senior year while friends of mine who chose online "institutions" (DeVry, UofPhoenix, AIUOnline, Capella, TROY, Kaplan IT, MUST, etc) couldn't negotiate peanuts months after completing their courses. I graduated making over $65k a year and after less than 2 years that has nearly reached $80k... A few of my buddies are still looking to start a career after almost 2 years. Find a state university that offers an online education program. Believe me, with the state of the economy, and it's inevitably stagnant, borderline status, the last thing that you want to do is waste $25k on a worthless sheet of chicken scratch and a $12 fake wood grain picture frame... I'd rather take my chances buying 25,012 lottery tickets :-/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Probe7899

44 months ago

Wow that puts it in perspective. So at least I know what to look out for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pissed Off Applicant in Detroit, Michigan

44 months ago

Ottawa University (in Kansas, not Canada), it's private and regionally accredited.

In fact, they have an entire online program strictly for law enforcement (if that's what you're interested in).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pissed Off Applicant in Detroit, Michigan

44 months ago

And by "private" I meant non-profit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Probe7899

44 months ago

Ok I will check that out thank you. Did you get your degree from there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

melanie6613 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

The real problem is that even though you are making good money now with your degree you may not have that job 2 years from now due to downsizing and outsourcing. Sounds like you are a very smart guy. Do yourself a favor and bank as much money as you can and get rid of any student loans ASAP. Too many intelligent guys like yourself graduate and get great jobs only to have them end in 2-5 years tops never to see an IT job or that kind of money again. I worked for a computer company for nearly ten years and watched it happen repeatedly. A lot of people have IT degrees from reputable colleges and have never found work. Congratulations!! Now comes the real work. Staying employed. Good luck to all. Heed my advice though. Bank your money and get rid of any loans and credit card bills because this country may not recover anytime soon. You're gonna need all the money you can get to make it. Godspeeed and Blessings on your career.

MsGucci in Miramar, Florida

43 months ago

Please, please do not attend University of Phoenix, Kaplan University, Everest University, Colorado Tech University, Ashford University, American Intercontinental University, Virginia College, or Devry University. You will be sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

just curious in Cookeville, Tennessee

42 months ago

MsGucci in Miramar, Florida said: Please, please do not attend University of Phoenix, Kaplan University, Everest University, Colorado Tech University, Ashford University, American Intercontinental University, Virginia College, or Devry University. You will be sorry.

Why is that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

They practice unethical, scandelous, and deceiving procedures. Most graduates of the mentioned schools as well as a slew of others are being cheated out of an education. The admissions advisors aka sales reps or telemarketers are glorifying job markets, salary, and charging extremely high tuition. Alot of these schools have the stigma if you attend one of those colleges then you didn't receive a good education. Very few corporations are hiring grads with degrees from these diploma mills but, some are not. Especially with UoP, Kaplan, and Argosy alot of people are enrolling in the education degree programs or psychology degree programs later to find out they CAN NOT get licensed in their state or any state for that matter. And alot of times its VERY hard to transfer to a different college to get the credentials you actually need. Before signing your name to any online school PLEASE do your research. If you absolutely need an online degree program lemme know the field your interested in and I can provide some helpful information to you. In the meanwhile look into these schools:
Florida International University Online
Florida Tech Online
University of Maryland University College Online
Penn State Online
Utica College Online
State University of New York
University of West Florida
University of Central Florida
University of Florida
Florida State University
Florida Gulf Coast University
Charter Oak State College
Thomas Edison State College
Excelsior College

These are just a few, again if you provide me with your major I'm more than glad to help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

just curious in Cookeville, Tennessee

42 months ago

Okay. Thanks! I had been trying to find someone that is enrolled in their MSA program and found one person but I've been unable to make contact with them.

I'm looking for an online Masters in Accountancy.

42 months ago

just curious in Cookeville, Tennessee said: Okay. Thanks! I had been trying to find someone that is enrolled in their MSA program and found one person but I've been unable to make contact with them.

I'm looking for an online Masters in Accountancy.

Check these out for Masters in Accountancy:
Florida Tech Online
Saint Leo University has a MBA with a concentration in Accountancy
Walden University(although it's for-profit its a good school)
Liberty University
Regis University
Stetson University
Indiana Wesleyan University
Florida Atlantic University
Auburn University
University of Maryland University College
SUNY Institute Of Technology at Utica/Rome
University of Tennessee - Knoxville (thats if you live close by)
Southern New Hampshire University Online
Rutgers Business School

These are the only online and campus based accountant programs I know. Good luck with your search! ;)

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

41 months ago

Guide

I had to do a search on here to find any forums that mentioned Kaplan. I received this email today and think it is worth sharing:

Here's how the Washington Post Company makes billions of dollars:

Veterans, single moms, and working parents are lured in by admissions counselors at Kaplan University Online (a for-profit college owned by the Post). Students use federal loans to sign up for classes that can be 14 times more expensive than a comparable community college class.

It's basically a scam. Sixty-nine percent of students drop out. A third of students default on their loans, meaning taxpayers are stuck with the bill and the students have their credit destroyed -- while Kaplan keeps all the money.

Shannon Croteau, for example, was 11 classes away from a degree from Kaplan when she learned she was out of financial aid, $30,000 in debt, and that the degree she was working toward would be worthless in her state of New Hampshire.

She was billed for loans she never signed up for, enrolled in classes she didn't choose and, when she complained, was given the runaround by a succession of fake "loan officers." "They lied and cheated," Shannon told Change.org. "It has ruined me."

A Kaplan University training manual uncovered by Senator Tom Harkin told employees: "If you can help them uncover their true pain and fear...You dramatically increase your chances of enrolling this prospective student." A separate presentation to employees declared that single African-American mothers raising two children were the most profitable, because they were the most likely to drop out.

The U.S. Government Accountability Office even found last year that Kaplan and other for-profit schools "encouraged fraud and engaged in deceptive and questionable marketing practice."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cholland22 in Cleburne, Texas

39 months ago

MsGucci in Miramar, Florida said: They practice unethical, scandelous, and deceiving procedures. Most graduates of the mentioned schools as well as a slew of others are being cheated out of an education. The admissions advisors aka sales reps or telemarketers are glorifying job markets, salary, and charging extremely high tuition. Alot of these schools have the stigma if you attend one of those colleges then you didn't receive a good education. Very few corporations are hiring grads with degrees from these diploma mills but, some are not. Especially with UoP, Kaplan, and Argosy alot of people are enrolling in the education degree programs or psychology degree programs later to find out they CAN NOT get licensed in their state or any state for that matter. And alot of times its VERY hard to transfer to a different college to get the credentials you actually need. Before signing your name to any online school PLEASE do your research. If you absolutely need an online degree program lemme know the field your interested in and I can provide some helpful information to you. In the meanwhile look into these schools:
Florida International University Online
Florida Tech Online
University of Maryland University College Online
Penn State Online
Utica College Online
State University of New York
University of West Florida
University of Central Florida
University of Florida
Florida State University
Florida Gulf Coast University
Charter Oak State College
Thomas Edison State College
Excelsior College

These are just a few, again if you provide me with your major I'm more than glad to help!

I am just now getting in on your conversation and now I am getting scared. I am now attending DeVry University and thought I did all my checks. I am in the HIT program and they stated they were acc. with AHIMA. Any information on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated before I just go further in debt.

Thanks, Cindi Holland

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Warrington, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Cholland22 in Cleburne, Texas said: I am just now getting in on your conversation and now I am getting scared. I am now attending DeVry University and thought I did all my checks. I am in the HIT program and they stated they were acc. with AHIMA. Any information on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated before I just go further in debt.

Thanks, Cindi Holland

uhm withdraw please don't make the same mistake I do

it's a worthless education

I found out the hard way after I graduated with a 3.99 from there

they gave out A's like they were candy .......

go to a community college then transfer to a legit 4 year

do your homework and research schools like these and the complaints they get

disregard all the bogus oh this school is awesome comments as they're most likely paid by the school to keep the schools opinion high

trust me.

Trisha in Wading River, New York

38 months ago

Probe7899 in West Islip, New York said: I was wondering if any one knows of good legit schools where you can complete your degree completely over the computer? I heard University of Phoenix received less then satisfactory opioid from employers. Any opinions about Devry?
Thanks
Brian

July 2008, I attended Everest University Online, I thought this is great because I do not have to worry about getting a babysitter, travel time to and from classes and I can sit at home in my pj's and go to school. I could not have been more wrong. Today, May 9, 2011 almost 3 years later I received my report card which states I only have 60 credits, well my Transcript states 86. I called up the school and I received the run around, first it was the computer system is down and I have to transfer you to the Registrar Office who uses the same system which when I asked about that and I was informed to call back tomorrow. The reason why I am telling my story is because I want others to be made aware that the school scams you into attended. True, they are accredited though National not Regional which is important when transferring schools so your credits transfer. Also the schools used to charge 404.00 a credit hour now they are charging a flat rate for as many credits that you want to take. When something sounds too good to be true it is. Not to mention that during the course and almost to the end of my graduation I have had multiple student and financial advisors. The response that I received from the school was the following that they have over 40,000 students so if something changes with your financial aid where they have to take more money to pay they will not notify you. In the end, I am now responsible for over 35,000 + to Sallie Mae which I do not mind paying for what I owe including the degree that I do not have; however at 404.00 a credit hour x 86 credits = 34,744 or what they say 60 credits x 404 a credit hour = 24,240. Question, the difference between the am

Leslie McGuinn in Sandston, Virginia

37 months ago

Strayer University is great. That is where I am going. I know several people that have graduated from Strayer and they are very happy with what they are making.

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee

37 months ago

I will be attending UOP in a couple of weeks. I know ppl who went to Agrosy, UOP, Strayer, Walden etc, and like Leslie stated, are happy with their job and what they are making.

Vilizzle in Pooler, Georgia

35 months ago

MsGucci in Miramar, Florida said: Check these out for Masters in Accountancy:
Florida Tech Online
Saint Leo University has a MBA with a concentration in Accountancy
Walden University(although it's for-profit its a good school)
Liberty University
Regis University
Stetson University
Indiana Wesleyan University
Florida Atlantic University
Auburn University
University of Maryland University College
SUNY Institute Of Technology at Utica/Rome
University of Tennessee - Knoxville (thats if you live close by)
Southern New Hampshire University Online
Rutgers Business School

These are the only online and campus based accountant programs I know. Good luck with your search! ;)

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm currentely attending Virginia College and enrolled in the Bachelor of Human Resource/Management program. The classes are pretty good so far, however, they didn't accept many of credits from my state universities from Texas and i'm basically starting all over again as a Freshman. It's very discouraging. Another thing i've found is that other schools will probably not accept their credits either. Because of this I am researching other online schools and have been looking into Ashford University's HR program but have run into negative comments as well. Before Virginia College & Ashford, I was attending Park University and am even contemplating on returning there as well.....

I want to complete a degree with Human Resource Management that I can completely do online because I work full time. I don't want my future employer to disqualify me because they don't look too highly on a particular school.

Help, please! Do you know of any online schools with a reputable name where I can finish my HR Management degree?

thank you so much for reading!

Cappucino_k in Castle Rock, Colorado

35 months ago

All I can say is reasearch research research...look for forums over the internet. I was going to UOP and I really really liked it, however, the reputation scared me to death. I too did not want to be 40k in debt and have HR departments toss my resume aside becuase of the opinion of the school. As I researched I found many reputable schools. I am in Colorado so most of mine stayed local, but CSU Global (Colorado State University online program) the degree is identical to taking brick and mortar classes, colorado Christian University, and Regis University(awesome awesome school), Rasussen College..oh and one I forgot to mention is Columbia College, it's rankings are good and it's cheap at like $164/credit hour. The other's are still as pricey as UOP BUT they are respected and reputable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cappucino_k in Castle Rock, Colorado

35 months ago

Cholland22 in Cleburne, Texas said: I am just now getting in on your conversation and now I am getting scared. I am now attending DeVry University and thought I did all my checks. I am in the HIT program and they stated they were acc. with AHIMA. Any information on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated before I just go further in debt.

Thanks, Cindi Holland

Since they have a program that is accredited by an outside accrediting agency such as AHIMA, I would feel ok with this school. HOwever there really are cheaper ones that are accredited by AHIMA. As long as you get your RHIT or RHIA coming out of it, you should be ok, that is what is important because of that specific designation and there are limited schools that are approved by AHIMA.

Jessica in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

33 months ago

I will be graduating from UOP in April and I can tell you that the degree does not hold the same weight as a State school but I plan on attending Stetson University for their online MSA degree which hold a lot of weight since it is ACCSB accredited so the UOP bachelors for me was a stepping stone. I have spoken with 2 career counselor who say the graduate degree will over shadow my bachelors in advancement. Just thought I would share.

Destined4More in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

If you are already in a position and need a degree for a promotion than University of Phoenix, Ashford, Devry, etc are okay.

But if a company is looking at your resume along with someone else's that went to a traditional school, with everything else being equal, the other person will get the job.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these schools but top companies are still hesitant to trust that a for profit school will give an F and risk you failing out and they lose money. Try your best to obtain your degree online from a school that is not "known" for being online. Many top universities have online programs, and when you recieve your degree the employer will not know you completed it online.

SENIOR Officer in Prattville, Alabama

30 months ago

Troy University- Online
Eastern Kentucky University - Online

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana

20 months ago

just curious in Cookeville, Tennessee said: Why is that?

because they are f'n scams thats why

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.