Oral Interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 230)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

james in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

82 months ago

I'm taking my Oral Interview 4-1-08 in the State of Michigan. How long does the interview last? I was told about 2 hours? I am currently studing those typical, "Why do you want to become a C.O?, How do you describe your work ethic" question's. Any one have any last minute suggestions? The more I prepare for it the more nervous I get. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (100) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

james in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

81 months ago

Hi Eric,
It's hard to believe I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. Well, first of all make sure you are early. I reserved a room at a Motel a mile east of Canal Rd.($75.00)My oral interview was at 8:30,it only lasted about 40 minutes. I was very nervous for this, there was two Correction Officers that interviewed me. You can count on questions like, What are you greatest weakness and strength's? Why do you want to become a c.o.?,What do you think makes a good C.O.?,What is the worse possible thing that could happen to you on duty? and Do you have a problem with different ethnic groups? I studied two books I bought off ebay, how to interview with confidence type book and a Corrections Oficer testing book. Make sure you wear a suit and clean shaved.Body language is important during the invertiew. Don't tap your shoes or fiddle with your fingers.Look them in the eyes when speaking with the board. It was not as bad as I thought it would be and you will walk out of the interview thinking I just screwed this up! Prepare for those type of questions so you can ansewer with confidence. As far as the Physical fitness teast goes, it's a piece of cake. Push-ups,sit-ups and a few step tests..easy. At the end of the day you should be a happy man. I passed the interview and the physical fitness test, I am now offically in the applicant pool waiting for a call.

Good luck, Eric

John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Thompson in New Haven, Michigan

81 months ago

Hi John,
Congrats on everything going well for you! I really appreciate you replying to my message. I am a bit nervous for the interview, but I think it will all be ok. I wonder how many people are being interviewed, my guess is there are probably a couple hundred but who knows. I hope that it is not a long wait once you are in the applicant pool. It would be nice to be in training before the summer. Do you plan on staying up there once training starts? I'm hopin to be able to come back home every other day...if I pass the interview and make it to training that is. Thanks again for giving me the heads up. Have a good day,
Eric

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sgt. Tim Lee in Marquette, Michigan

81 months ago

Eric Thompson in New Haven, Michigan said: Hi John,
Congrats on everything going well for you! I really appreciate you replying to my message. I am a bit nervous for the interview, but I think it will all be ok. I wonder how many people are being interviewed, my guess is there are probably a couple hundred but who knows. I hope that it is not a long wait once you are in the applicant pool. It would be nice to be in training before the summer. Do you plan on staying up there once training starts? I'm hopin to be able to come back home every other day...if I pass the interview and make it to training that is. Thanks again for giving me the heads up. Have a good day,
Eric

Good luck gentlemen. Most interviews in the MDOC are "Behavior Based." If you go to the Civil Service site you may locate the video instruction for Behavior Based interviews.
You are welcome to visit/join our site; just Google "The Black and Grey Forum" Stay safe,
Tim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Thompson in Harrison Township, Michigan

79 months ago

Well...You do the interview and physical test and they let you know the same day if you passed or not. If you pass both you will be put on the list. Its a waiting game from there. I passed in the begining of May and they said I should be in training by October at the latest. It just depends on if they need help in the counties you agreed to work in. Hope all goes well for you. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dave jones traverse city michigan in Grand Rapids, Michigan

79 months ago

how long from the test date until the interview did any one have to wait. what was the involved in the step test . any one know about the hiring freeze they have i heard there is suppose to be a class in september. i wrote exam end of may .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tammy hall in Grand Rapids, Michigan

78 months ago

Great news i passed my written exam and mailed in application .It said that you have to wait upto 12 weeks. wow does it really take that long in order to get your interview. Congrats to you all who were lucky enough to past the interview stage and good luck in your new careers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hello in San Leandro, California

78 months ago

Eric Thompson in New Haven, Michigan said: Hey James,
I have an interview too. Mine is 5-2-08 for corrections officer. Could you give me any tips from your experience? I would really appreciate it, I'm a little nervous but very excited for the interview. I just want to get hired and get in there.
Thanks!

Hello Everyone, My interview will be on July 8. I passed the written exam I took last two weeks ago. I am so nervous since I dont know what would be the interview questions be. I am glad I stubled to this site and got some tips. Please wish me all the luck to pass the oral interview and the fitness test.

Beth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amelia N in Detroit, Michigan

78 months ago

Dave: You wait 12 weeks. Yeah, it takes a while. I was practically camping out at my mailbox for my interview and pt test date. The step test is easy and hard. There are three sets of steps you have to do, you have to complete 40 trips. The first two set of steps are easy, they are about the size of regular stairs. The last set is the hardest because they are almost double the size of regular stairs. You have two minutes to complete each set of steps. I don't know anything about a hiring freeze, I do know they are offering a lot of people who are close to retirement, early retirement packages and then hiring younger people for lower cost.

Tammy: Yes, it really takes that long. When you get the date for your interview and pt test in the mail, the test date is normally 2-3 weeks later.

Hello: I don't know what the hiring process is for corrections in California, but in Michigan the interview questions focused more on what you would do in a certain type of situation, and what experiences have you had with prison, and what do you think would happen in one (i.e. risks). I suggest if you live farther away from the interview place like I do, leave the night before and get a hotel.

Good luck to you all. The interview is pretty easy and so is the physical test. The only thing that causes any worry is the large set of stairs and the amount of time you have to wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Kincheloe, Michigan

78 months ago

I have been in corrections for 13 years and actually waiting on a promotion announcement for myself but I have a question for those recently involved in the video test... what is the best mind set for someone to approach this to pass...? When I took the initial test in 1993 it was civil service blah blah blah. My wife recently found out her office is closing and wants to come to work at the prison.

Any help with preparation mind sets would be great. Good luck to all you waiting for a career in Michigan Corrections and maybe I will see you on the inside someday..

78 months ago

thanks for the response i guess i will be camping out by my mail box aswell

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

hello Amelia just wondering if they ask any questions like what is your weakness and strengths or is it like what if questions on the interview. do you know of anybody tring to get hired in the traverse city area. thanks your info has been helpful so far. good luck in your future job.

mills in Antioch, Tennessee

78 months ago

thanks for the info everybody . it was all very helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tinytims in grand rapids, Michigan

78 months ago

hello everyone i have read that the stair test is alright but how do you know how many times the stairs have completed. is there any new recruits out there that help us that are waiting in the wings for our chance . thanks and good luck to all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pete in Bay City, Michigan

78 months ago

Hey all, I'm trying for DNR Conservation Officer but I don't know if they'll be taking raw recruits in this next cycle; was considering Corrections Officer. Is the training structured the same way at the facility in Lansing, and do you live at the facility, or do you go home every night?

I live in Bay City and have a large farm, so my long-term mobility is limited. I have a Bachelor's degree so all I need to do is pull the trigger on mailing the application...

Thanks for any info.

jeff in Kincheloe, Michigan

78 months ago

Pete in Bay City, Michigan said: Hey all, I'm trying for DNR Conservation Officer but I don't know if they'll be taking raw recruits in this next cycle; was considering Corrections Officer. Is the training structured the same way at the facility in Lansing, and do you live at the facility, or do you go home every night?

I live in Bay City and have a large farm, so my long-term mobility is limited. I have a Bachelor's degree so all I need to do is pull the trigger on mailing the application...

Thanks for any info.

Im not sure on the availability of the DNR. they had been downsizing.... As for the corrections academy, if they run it at Lansing, you'll be staying there m-f. They do however run satellite academies, one was run last year in Alpena. If they run a satellite edition, usually recruits have the option of commuting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tinytims in Grand Rapids, Michigan

78 months ago

hello Amelia
have you started your training as of yet. if so how is it going.

Amelia N in Detroit, Michigan

78 months ago

No, I haven't started training yet, but I should be starting in August or September. MDOC isn't hiring until the fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

onetime in Portland, Maine

78 months ago

Just try to be who you are. If you go into the interview room pretending to be someone that you are not the board interviewing you are going to see right through you.
Some of the questions presented to you. You are going to be able to answer using some common sense but others you are not going to have the answers for because they are job specific and unless you have prior experience in the field of corrections you will not have the correct answer milling about in your head. Be honest and tell them that you do not have the answer to that particular question. In many cases their really will not be a right or wrong answer. Just represent yourself as best as you can. Confident but not cocky. Make sure to use solid communication skills like look the board in the eyes when speaking, use a clear audible speaking voice.
Make sure you are clean shaving and properly dressed,ie. a suit and tie if you have one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Eureka, California

78 months ago

I passed my interview, now I am waiting for the background investigation of which I was told that it will take 2 to 4 months. But well, at least I passed.

The questions they throw to me during the interview is more on a situational. Like: what you will do when you are processing a family member (arrested). And another one, what you will do if an arrested person starts verbally abuse you. And if you have problem working night shift.

Good Luck to your interview!

Beth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tinytims in grandrapids, Michigan

77 months ago

hello amelia

did you have any luck with a start date yet. i am still awaiting
an interview. hopefully soon

amelia n in Detroit, Michigan

77 months ago

i start training sept 8. good luck on your interview and pt test. there is a lot of waiting involved. just keep on top of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

hey amelia
that is wonderful good luck. did you call lansing during the waiting period or did you just wait. Do you know if their will be any other classes this year. It is nice that someone out there is helpful. thanks for your replies and information

77 months ago

i just waited. after my interview and pt test, i waited about 2-3 weeks before i got a call offering me a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

hello amelia

once you received you job offer when did you find out what location that you will be hired at from your choices. did you receive your first choice. when you had your interview did you have to provide references because my old employers have yet to receive any questionare as of yet.

77 months ago

when i got the call from the person offering me the job, she told me what location i was hired at. when i had to fill out the paperwork asking me what locations i wanted to work at, i put down my top choices and yes i got one in my top three.

yes when you go to lansing for your interview you will have to provide references. when you get/got your employment packet that had the application for employment, background check info, it should of came with three employee reference forms that you have to get your past employers to fill out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda

76 months ago

Hello, Is anyone here starting in the Lansing academy for Sept 8th? I was just wondering what if any additional information you may have. I live over 50 miles away and I have reserved my room, however, does anyone know if the academy is actually held there or if there is a seperate location that we are taken to? Any additional information would be helpful... I'm getting really excited!

Amelia in Detroit, Michigan

76 months ago

I'm actually starting on the 8th as well. I'm way over fifty miles away, but sadly I know just as much as you do when it comes to the academy. If anyone has any information please let me know.

smiles in Garden City, New York

76 months ago

I took the oral interview for correction officer and I thought it might be helpful to other people to list some of the questions they asked me:

-How would you describe your childhood?
-What was it like being the oldest/youngest/middle child?
-How would you describle your relationship with your parent(s)/sibling(s)?
-How many close friends do you have?
-How often do you see them?
-What do you do when you hang out with your friends?
-What's your biggest mistake?
-What are your strengths?
-What are your weaknesses?
-What would you change about yourself?
-What's the hardest thing you will have to overcome in your life?
-Why do you want to become a correction officer?
-What do you think will be the hardest thing about being a correction officer? What do you think you will enjoy about being a correction officer?
-How often do you drink alcohol? How much?
-What do you do in your free time?
-What are the reasons why you left your previous employer(s)?
-What makes you angry?
-What do you do when you are angry?
-How do you resolve a disagreement with someone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth Z. in Eureka, California

76 months ago

Is any body out there can give me some few tips what are the possible questions for a "psychological test" might be for a correctional officer?

Please anybody out there?

Beth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Beth Z. in Eureka, California said: Is any body out there can give me some few tips what are the possible questions for a "psychological test" might be for a correctional officer?

Please anybody out there?

Beth

For the psychological interview...the interviewer will most likely go over basic questions involving your childhood, your friends and family, where you live, you and your family members occupations, your schooling (high school and college), any previous employment, your interests outside of work, questions regarding getting along with other people such as with a coworker or serious relationship you may of had,if you've had any arrests, past drug or alcohol use, why you are interested in the job as correction officer, what you see as your best and worst qualities as a person, general questions about whether you are happy or not. It may be helpful for you to have specific dates with you written down of when you attended schools, jobs, places you've lived, military service, therapy sessions with a psychiatrist, psychologist or social worker, and marriage(s)/divorce(s, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

hello amelia

how was your first wk at training . is it alot to take in at first . hope you enjoyed it and had fun . good luck completing your training

Regina Smith, New York

76 months ago

smiles in Garden City, New York said: I took the oral interview for correction officer and I thought it might be helpful to other people to list some of the questions they asked me:

-How would you describe your childhood?
-What was it like being the oldest/youngest/middle child?
-How would you describle your relationship with your parent(s)/sibling(s)?
-How many close friends do you have?
-How often do you see them?
-What do you do when you hang out with your friends?
-What's your biggest mistake?
-What are your strengths?
-What are your weaknesses?
-What would you change about yourself?
-What's the hardest thing you will have to overcome in your life?
-Why do you want to become a correction officer?
-What do you think will be the hardest thing about being a correction officer? What do you think you will enjoy about being a correction officer?
-How often do you drink alcohol? How much?
-What do you do in your free time?
-What are the reasons why you left your previous employer(s)?
-What makes you angry?
-What do you do when you are angry?
-How do you resolve a disagreement with someone?

Are you being processed for city or state corrections. I am interested in becomming a correction officer for the state. I wanted to know how long is the training and if you have to go upstate for training? I also wanted to know if you are able to pick you work shift?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Regina Smith, New York said: Are you being processed for city or state corrections. I am interested in becomming a correction officer for the state. I wanted to know how long is the training and if you have to go upstate for training? I also wanted to know if you are able to pick you work shift?[/QUOT

On the New York State Department of Correctional Services website it states that, "To qualify for consideration to become a state Correction Officer, applicants must score at least 70 on the written exam, and are ranked according to score. Applicants are then subjected to a background check and must qualify medically, physically and psychologically before being appointed to the Department's Training Academy in Albany for a comprehensive seven-week training program."

amelia in Lansing, Michigan

76 months ago

tinytims in grandrapids, Michigan said: hello amelia

how was your first wk at training . is it alot to take in at first . hope you enjoyed it and had fun . good luck completing your training

sorry i took to respond, getting a new job is kinda hectic. its pretty cool so far. there has been a lot of lectures but you learn alot. oh and keep in shape, there is a lot of pt

Nathaniel in Grand Blanc, Michigan

76 months ago

Hello Amelia

What kind of pt or running do they have you doing in the academy? How long is the academy?

76 months ago

hello Amelia

on to wk two and hopefully having fun and learning alot. how often is the pt. what hours do you train. how is the accomidations ie food
living quarters. i still have not received my interview they say they are behind on interviews so hopefully soon. good luck

amelia in Lansing, Michigan

76 months ago

actually this would be middle of the week three. we have learned a lot. pt runs 30 mins to 60 mins depending on what platoon you're in and who your fto's are. hours are from 8-430. we're in a hotel, the food is nasty but tolerable. we're supposed to be a msp but there is a trooper school going on so we were put in a hotel.

nathaniel: jumping jacks, situps, push ups, jack knives, dolphin push ups, diamond push ups, windmills. this academy is 6 weeks, but i think its normally 8 weeks or so

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in San Diego, California

75 months ago

I did my interview with a psychologist around June and was hoping to get in the September academy but didn't. The next one is in November. Has anyone heard from the November academy? I live in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rusty in Twin Falls, Idaho

75 months ago

Have Taken Idaho correction's test, passed it with no problem, but there is no opening's in Idaho right now. Am going to take county sheriff's Detention Officer's testing on Sept 8th for a county in Wyoming, not worried about test or agility test, the oral interview, I would like to know how to approach this, The oral interview is scheduled for the 9th,I could use some tip's on how to approach this to impress the selection board,All your question's and response's have been very helpful.In my present job, I wear dress pant's and tie's at times, so that is not the information I need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

hello amelia
how is it going. I finally was lucky enough to get my interview in a couple wks. little nervous about interview and pt test. is the step test just like a treadmill run on a slant. does the stairs run for a straight six minutes or does it stop. any information would help thanks you for your time. any information on future class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dan in Ironwood, Michigan

75 months ago

what is the fitness test, the full times??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Derrick in Kenai, Alaska

75 months ago

What should i expect from the fitness test?

75 months ago

hey dave
just wondering if the november class is for michigan or california

Laurie St Clair Shores Michigan

75 months ago

Hello everyone. This question is on behalf of my sister. She recently just went for the oral interview in Lansing and she was told that she failed 4 of the questions she was asked. The questions that they asked were "what would you do if you saw this or that" and she answered them based on other responses she had throughout this hiring process. Is there anything she could have studied as in a procedural guide for being a Correction Officer? Or is the interview questions strictly based on your response and the way you would handle the particular situation? She has her bachelor's degree in criminal justice so I know she has the educational background, just not the experience. Any help or guidance that anyone could provide would be wonderful! Thank you and congratulations to all that have succeeded!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

hello everybody
big interview next week any helping advice to help me would be helpful thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Detroit, Michigan

75 months ago

the next academy for michigan is in january

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

hello amelia
how is training going .like you said i waited and finally received my interview. very nervous and excited. hoping everything goes well for myself. are you still enjoying yourself
you must be getting close to you ojt. thanks for information i was hoping they might have a class earlier but must pass next step first

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

hello
how strict are they when it comes to push ups and sit up. how does the stair stepper work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

travis in Greenville, Michigan

75 months ago

how do you know the next academy is in january?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.