Tips for corrections officer interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 246)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming corrections officer interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

angelica in New York, New York

85 months ago

I am schedule to intreview with the correction officer recruiter bord on Aug and I am very nerveous about it and I would like to what are the mosst commun questions they ask and the kind of response they expect? thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1174) / No (198) Reply - Report abuse

Giantsfan80

78 months ago

Curt in Altoona, Pennsylvania said: Just what McGarret said. I am from PA and they ask you the same. Just be honest!! Don't judge!! And you can get aids on the street any old day (ex. helping someone in a car accident) so even if you are scared of the possibility of getting it...say your not!

Hey Curt I have a few questions regarding PADOC I was wondering if you could please answer them as I started a discussion regarding this....any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Quakertown, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

What should I wear to an interview??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (169) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

76 months ago

I am currently getting ready for my second interview with racine county corrections, through research and reading the Correctional Officer testing booklets, they say that men should dress professional ie slacks and tie, or something like black pants, collared shirt and blazer. Myself I am wearing a black pants suit and blouse. I would suggest through my own experience make sure you are comfortable, if you are not comfortable you will look nervous and they will see that as a lack of confidence. Good Luck!!
PS, don't wear drab colors like all black and a white shirt, wear black/grey pants and jacket with maybe a bright blue shirt to make it pop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Allen in Mcallen, Texas

71 months ago

keep in mind, its also about all common sense dealing inside of a prison. being alert of you and other around you... Asking questions and taking orders from our supervisors is very important. i as an officer at the McConnell Unit am accomplishing well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

michael in Torrance, California

70 months ago

what kind of questions can I expect during a psych oral interveiw?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (195) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

starlajj in Olympia, Washington

66 months ago

If you had a DUI in the past, ( 25 yrs old ) and that was 4 years ago....is that bad to have on your background for a Correctonal Officer position? I know as long as your truthful and honest, but would it lower my chances in getting the position? Help! I'm nervous.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (235) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

KAWilliams

66 months ago

I am currently seeking to serve in corrections. I am maybe 5'7 and not too muscular. Do you think that will make it hard to sevre?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (151) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

dpayne in North Bay, New York

66 months ago

I recently took the NYS Correction Officer exam and heard that there is a website I can go on and see where I am placed on the waiting list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

WTF in Auburn, New York

65 months ago

Stick to the topic . " TIPS FOR CORRECTIONS OFFICER INTERVIEWS"
Post your questions somewhere else, this really pizsses off having to read this silly crap time and time again..
bs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

cody james in Ketchikan, Alaska

64 months ago

So I have an Interview for the 26th as an entry level CO and I am wondering what I should expect from the first initial interview to the final interview

I.E What Questions will they more than likly ask me. (Most of my work EX is in retail)

should I bring anything with me, like a thank you letter, a cover letter, my resume again or any paperwork at all???

I have read through this forum for I.N.F.O regarding what they "May" ask me, but I just wanted to see if there is anything else I should be expecting that I am currently not.

Thanks in advance!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (185) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

starr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

alot of help from the person with the list of questions thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lady-O in Brookneal, Virginia

63 months ago

I went on my first interview about a month ago for a possition at a Juvenile corrections possition in VA. Here are the exact questions that they asked me, I know they are exact because I kept them I have my second interview tomorrow at 10am sharp. I Hope that these help someone.

1. You will be responsible for ensuring your group of wards follows a daily schedule. Describe a situation in which you supervised a large group of individuals. What specific steps did you take to ensure that all individuals in your group completed scheduled activities/ tasks according to procedure and established timeframes?

2. Scenario: You are supervising a large group of wards. One of the wards is very hostile. He is being verbally abusive to you and the other wards. What steps would you take to ensure that control is maintained and that the other wards are not drawn into also participating in the same type of behavior?

3. Scenario: You observe another Juvenile Corrections officer being verbally abusive to a ward in response to the ward cursing the officer. The situation is quickly escala

4. Intervention techniques are used on a daily basis in supervising juveniles. Describe an experience in which you successfully utilized de-escalation techniques to avoid physical intervention. Why is de-escalation preferable over physical intervention? Under what circumstances would physical intervention be the better choice?

5. What do you see as the Juvenile Corrections Officer’s role in preventing contraband from entering the facility?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (228) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Lady-O in Lynchburg, Virginia

63 months ago

sorry I just noticed # 3 was cut off

Scenario: You observe another Juvenile Corrections officer being verbally abusive to a ward in response to the ward cursing the officer. The situation is quickly escalating to a dangerous level. Describe the specific steps you would take to bring this situation under control. What would your responsibility be in addressing the inappropriateness of the Juvenile Corrections officer’s reaction to the ward cursing at him?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (154) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

smendoza in Modesto, California

63 months ago

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help others. This has really helped me a lot and I am very thankful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I just want to thank you very much for taking your time to help others. These question are so very helpful. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Misses in Jackson, Georgia

63 months ago

Thanks! I just put in for a JCO position and were wondering about the questions for the interview. This helps a million. Good Luck on Interview #2.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lady T

63 months ago

Misses in Jackson, Georgia said: Thanks! I just put in for a JCO position and were wondering about the questions for the interview. This helps a million. Good Luck on Interview #2.

Your Very welcome, I'm glad that I could be of help, second interview was great, it was really easy, the superintendant just asked " why did I want to be a JCO " and I explained and from there on, he explained about the possition. I start in 2 weeks. I am soo glad that the process is finally over! Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ozzy in Frankfort, Kentucky

63 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming corrections officer interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

They ask alot of "tell me about a time when" questions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

mdh in Seattle, Washington

62 months ago

What would you say when they ask you
"why you want to become a correction officer?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (99) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

mdh in Seattle, Washington said: What would you say when they ask you
"why you want to become a correction officer?"

Why do you want to become a CO??? I want to because I love the law!!! I wasn't asked that question in my Interview, but I really did some thinking about that question just in case they asked. I think what they really really want is HONESTY!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ERIC@DMSPS.COM in Lake Elsinore, California

62 months ago

smendoza in Modesto, California said: I just had an interview and PASSED!!! I am so happy!!! You know what really helped me with my interview??? The Documentaries Locked: Extended Stay. They talk to CO's and boy was that the most helpful thing for me. I had questions in my interview like.

1.) If an Officer next to you was getting beat down what would you do.
A.) Do NOT go in without back-up call your sup. and make sure that everybody around is safe and in order.

2.) What if an officer told you he was going to date an inmate once she is released.
A.) I would tell him don't risk your job over a relationship.

3.) What if your Serg. was taken by the inmates and he ordered you to release the inmates would you?
A.) NO I would not.

GOOD LUCK!!!

smendoza
When did you take your oral? I took mine today and i didn't get any of those questions? He spent most of it going over my phs and maybe 4 questions from the written but he made me feel like i failed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I took my Oral on the May 27th and they told me right there that I Passed. I was very suprised. I thought for sure I wouldn't know anything for 2 weeks. I'm sure they are trainned to sit there stright face with no emotion just to see how you react. Since you passed the phy and written and they asked you back for an interview they must like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

eric in Rancho Cucamonga, California

62 months ago

smendoza in Modesto, California said: I took my Oral on the May 27th and they told me right there that I Passed. I was very suprised. I thought for sure I wouldn't know anything for 2 weeks. I'm sure they are trainned to sit there stright face with no emotion just to see how you react. Since you passed the phy and written and they asked you back for an interview they must like you.

Where did you take you yours at.I took my oral psych in rancho cucamanga
and all the people i talked to had to wait for their results it's just nerve racking just to sit and wait for them to tell you if you passed or not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I interviewed in Merced County. I was so suprised when they told me right there. I'm on my way to drop off all my background info right now. Like you said the waiting is the HARDEST part. All I've done is think about getting this job since this has started. It's already been a month and I'm sure I'm not even half done yet. You have to keep your head up and keep only good thoughts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

SMENDOZA
WHAT DO YOU HAVE LEFT TO DO?HAVE YOU STARTED YOUR BACKGROUND YET?I'M
DONE FINALLY ALL I NEED IS TO WAIT FOR THE RESULTS OF THE ORAL PSYCH
AND THEN GET CLEARED FOR HIRE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Well they gave me a background packet of 25 pages to fill out. Questions about pass jobs and misdemeanors or felony, fights, suspended from school, ref., family all that good stuff. I'm going to drop that off now then if that passes (which it better) polygraph exam next psychological exam final medical exam then off to an academy I go :) I've got my fingers crossed that everything goes well!! So did you have the psy exam and all that or do you not have to do those exams?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

smendoza in Modesto, California said: Thank you and I know you will do well too. This does take so long oh my goodness!! Did you go to school be a CO or have you had a job like this before?

SMENDOZA
No, i just applied when they had the open applications last year in June.I have some college courses in criminal justice,and i was in the military.One thing never give up it will be worth the wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

That is the truth it will be with the wait. I applied in another county about 2 years ago, but didn't get pass the interview. I didn't know nothing about corrections. I just thought it would be a cool job I've always loved the law. This time I studied, studied and studied. I also watched alot of Locked-up Raw and it paid off. They like the military background. You'll have to let me know if you hear that you are hired!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

smendoza in Modesto, California said: That is the truth it will be with the wait. I applied in another county about 2 years ago, but didn't get pass the interview. I didn't know nothing about corrections. I just thought it would be a cool job I've always loved the law. This time I studied, studied and studied. I also watched alot of Locked-up Raw and it paid off. They like the military background. You'll have to let me know if you hear that you are hired!!!

SMENDOZA
As soon as i hear i will let you know okay,and good luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Leah

62 months ago

What courses in college should I take to work towards being a juvenile corrections officer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Derek in Everett, Washington

62 months ago

I go in for my fist oral board interview tomorrow. I have had a oral board interview with a police station and barely passed hoping I do better this time.
Thanks for all the good info on here you all are very helpful. I have taken the written and the Physical test I went to a info meeting a week ago explained the whole process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gamer1612 in Morehead, Kentucky

62 months ago

I would appreciate any help as well. I have an interview tomorrow at the Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex. I was just wondering what I should expect. I applied (via the KY state jobs website) in November and never heard anything. Then one of my friends who works at the prison told me that they usually don't call people in for an interview who do not call and make themselves known. So I called every 2 weeks or so for the past 3 months (the prison I applied to have a very low turnover rate and they only hire every 3-6 months) and I was notified yesterday that they wanted me to come in tomorrow (Thursday) at 9:20 AM for an interview. Oh, and where I live, the interview is it, there are literally NO tests. You get the interview and then you either get the job and continue on to the academy or you dont get the job.

I would really like some advice all the way around. Please answer some/all of the following questions for me:

1. How early should I arrive for the interview
2. What should I wear to the interview
3. What, if anything, do I need to bring with me
4. What are some questions I should expect to be asked and what are some acceptable answers to those questions

I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Also, I was told that they were interviewing now so that those hired would be able to attend the upcoming academy that starts July 20. Will they let me know one way or the other or will I know I didnt get the job by just never hearing from them? And how long after the interview should I expect to hear something? Like I said the training academy starts in just over a month so it couldnt be that long. Any help will be greatly appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Do you think that dress khakis, a matching (not khaki, just complimentary) dress shirt, dress black belt and shoes would be ok for the interview? Thats really the dressiest clothes I own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I was going to wear somehting like that too, but everything I found on the internet said to wear a suit so I found one at Walmart and shoes at payless. I spent maybe a little over $50.00. I'm sure the Khakis would be good though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Gamer1612 in Morehead, Kentucky said: I have a close friend whose mom works at a prison. We both have an interview at the same prison coming up soon. My friends mom told him the exact questions he will be asked at the interview. I thought that was good but he wont tell me what they are. He agrees that if I had the questions I would share them with him no questions asked, but he still wont tell me what they are. Should I be pissed?

WOW what a hater!!! I don't think I'd be mad, but that would make me see what kind of friend he really ISN'T!!! I'm sure I'd keep away from that person after that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Well the interview seemed to go pretty well, but they told me that they would call me back tomorrow to ask me to come back for a drug test if I was selected. However, my "friend" was drug tested directly after his interview so that makes me worried that I didnt get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Louisa, Kentucky

62 months ago

My girlfriend waited on me in the lobby. She talked to the guard that is there. According to him, they "may pull a few" out on the day that they are interviewed for a drug test. The rest is called the next day and if someone happens to fail it, which according to him "many fail the drug test", they will call you the next week. I am not sure if I got the job or not. Haven't heard anything from them. What does it take???? The pay is not all that great but its a job I really want. Can anyone help??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

They told me that they were going to be hiring again in a month. Did you interview at the EKCC or a different prison?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I dont know if I have to be interviewed again or not. I am going to call and ask on Monday about it. I was just told that they will be hiring again in a month because they are pretty low on people and havent hired in several months.

The only reason I know I didnt get it was because I called and they said that they already called everyone they were going to call this "batch" or something like that. So I keep my hopes up of hearing from them in the future but I am going to see what I can do to hear about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

hmmm

62 months ago

did your friend hear anything yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

No, still nothing. But I called the prison and they said that I was still in the running for the job, it just did not look good for me because I have yet to be drug tested but he said they could call me at any time to come in for a drug test. But no, as of now my friend has not heard anything either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

hmmm in Atlanta, Georgia

61 months ago

I interviewed as well and they called me right after I got home on Thursday to come back for the pee test. I was just wondering if your friend had heard anything yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I wonder why they didn't want to drug test me? :( lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hmmm in Atlanta, Georgia

61 months ago

Not sure- I don't know how many males and females they needed. I heard they interviewed 30 and were taken 14.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hmmm in Atlanta, Georgia

61 months ago

I live in Morgan, but it is showing Atlanta, GA....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

When I interviewed here in CA they said they were passing as many people as they can at that time. I'm sure it was becuase alot of people don't pass the background check and the drug test. So keep your hopes up that a bunch of dummies didn't pass that drug test. I'm still waiting for them to call and tell me they are starting the background process. This waiting sucks so bad!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

They interviewed 33. I called today and spoke with the senior captain (the same one who interviewed me) to ask about it. He said that what they did is they drug tested 7 of the 33 directly after their interviews. They then called back and drug tested an additional 12. So, they are going to run a background check on those that pass the drug test. Then, they are going to see which of those have things that pop up in their background check that would make them not want to hire them. So, for example, if 15 people pass the drug test and background check they will pick their top 14. If 14 people pass both tests then they will just hire those 14. If less than 14 pass both then they will drug test some more people and start the process over again until they have 14 candidates who pass the drug test and background check. So, it sounds bad but I hope some of the other candidates failed their tests!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.