juvenile/probation officer exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

hubbahubba in Macon, Georgia

67 months ago

Has anyone taken this exam in Georgia? I have to take it on Thursday and just wanted to know what to expect. I'm not a psychology or criminal justice major. I amjored in health services. I just want to be prepared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (187) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

lainey in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

I am also taking this test on a Thursday. In L.A. I think its multiple choice, there is an example of what the questions look like on the site where you applied.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Black Mountain, North Carolina

64 months ago

I took the GA exam several years ago. As I recall it involved reviewing various documentation such as Social Security Information, Birth Certificates, Case Historys, court reports, and probation or parole documentation, ect. and answering questions about the content. It is multiple choice, you are being evaluated basically on your information gathering and understanding of the information presented. If you can show you are competent with this, you get a passing score.

Funny, I got more calls referals for adult probation and parole than I did for the juvenile position I wanted. In the end, I never did actually interview in GA as I only saw one in a location I wanted to work in, and despite my experience in the juvenile justice field out of state, I was told I would have to start at the bottom of the pay scale. At that point, I made more money then I would have been offered, so I passed on the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Asheville, North Carolina

61 months ago

Kay, some answers to your question for the exam are located here. You have to apply for the job online and register with the GA state employment career website, you will be able to find more details the more you poke around the website.

www.careers.ga.gov

For juvenile probation, this is what they are looking for in GA.

Preferred Qualifications: Completion of a bachelor's degree at an accredited four-year college or university, with a major in the areas of psychology, sociology, criminal justice, social work, or education.

Exam & Evaluation Information: A written, multiple-choice test. Test subject areas: reading, interpreting, and applying procedural instructions and information from case studies.

In Atlanta, the written test for this job title is given every first and third Thursday of every month at 8:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Because of limited seating, applicants are encouraged to arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of the session for check-in. Applicants should also apply for this job on-line, at this website, any time prior to the day of testing and bring their UserID (generated from the on-line application creation) and a picture ID to the test session.

Please note: Applicants will not be admitted once the test session has started. Please arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of the session for check-in.

Outside Atlanta, the test is given once a month on a Saturday on a ‘scheduled’ basis at regional testing centers (i.e., applicants are sent written notices providing date, time, and location of testing). To apply and request a regional test center location, applicants should complete the on-line application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fred in Canton, Georgia

45 months ago

hubbahubba in Macon, Georgia said: Has anyone taken this exam in Georgia? I have to take it on Thursday and just wanted to know what to expect. I'm not a psychology or criminal justice major. I amjored in health services. I just want to be prepared.

IM IN THE SAME BOAT.. I HEAR ITS NOT THAT BAD...JUST READ THREW THE QUESTIONS WELL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fred in Canton, Georgia

45 months ago

has anyone takin the probation exam...?wanted to know what to prepare for...?thanks for any advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jackiereal

41 months ago

do you offer out of state testing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lucy in Raleigh, North Carolina

41 months ago

I've taken it twice the first time i scored an 83 the second time I scored an 92. I took them a month apart.. The test is not the difficult it's more or less common sense and reading through the paper work. The things I missed on my first time around I assumed more so then relied on the case note information. The test consist of two case studies one involving a juvenile offender and and adult offender. Personally I think I did better on the adult case file but the test doesn't tell you that. The test was the same when I went back the second time around. I it's multiple choice. With the adult section make sure to read the amendment regarding social security number and birth certificate. With juvenile make sure to again read the amendment regarding the number of visits. As well as be knowledge regarding what needs to be on a file to make it court order. I hope this is useful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Meredith Peterson in Ocilla, Georgia

37 months ago

I took the test yesterday and my test score was 80. I am afraid that this is not enough to get interview. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I take the test again. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Erica in Savannah, Georgia

24 months ago

hubbahubba in Macon, Georgia said: Has anyone taken this exam in Georgia? I have to take it on Thursday and just wanted to know what to expect. I'm not a psychology or criminal justice major. I amjored in health services. I just want to be prepared.

I took the juvenile test before and it easier now than 10 years ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.