Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Host

What are typical courier salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

saraK in Saint Paul, Minnesota

71 months ago

JP in Hurst, Texas said: Hey

Im a Courier in Dallas fort Worth

Typically i make 350 to 600 a week depending on what part of the month it is...End of the month is always more busy....But i also do 100 a week or more in Gas.....Plus 250 in car repairs every 6 weeks or so....Tires wear fast gotta get your oil changed 3 times a month...I average about 500 miles a day on my car....and thats just in DFW..

So that is an average of $475/week, minus $600 gas minus, 650 repairs, equals $1600 for 6 wks. Does that sound about right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

independent contractor in Washington, District of Columbia

71 months ago

saraK in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: So that is an average of $475/week, minus $600 gas minus, 650 repairs, equals $1600 for 6 wks. Does that sound about right?

just a small tip saint paul,no...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Thom

57 months ago

I am not in the courier trade,but I am curious about the courier pay method.is it based on mileage,or time. how do you handle return trips on long distance runs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JDizzel in Covina, California

57 months ago

Kalila P, I am in Los Angeles and am starting with a courier company tomorrow doing a 12-7. I am also going to an interview tom. morning with a 24hr service, hoping to do a morning shift with them, aswell as a 6th day.

Can you tell me who your husband works for? I would love to apply with them and make what he is making. please email at: shopcnaeyewear@gmail.com with the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JFoster in Collierville, Tennessee

56 months ago

I am looking at becoming a courier after retirement. Can anyone give me info on Alliance 1 or Partsfleet? What other companies are out there that use independent couriers? What size vehicle does most people use for this business? I am thinking about a Nissan Cube.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gwg in Allison Park, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

I am interested in getting started as an independent courier in the
Pittsburgh area. I have a fuel efficient four door sedan. I'm a 60
year old retired Retail manager in great health. Any help I could
get would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

GWG

years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

independent contractor in Alexandria, Virginia

53 months ago

HELLO GWG :
MY FRIEND YOU ARE THE WRIGHT AGE YOUR HEALTH IS WHAT MATTERS IN THIS BUSINESS,TO DO WELL IN THIS FIELD GWG YOU MUST LIKE THIS KIND
OF FIELD TO ENJOY THIS WORK AS A INDEPENDENT COURIER.YOU WILL
NOT DO WELL IT WILL BE LIKE A JOB, GWG YOU ALSO HAVE THE
BEST EFFICIENT SADAN,YOUR HEALTH GOOD, YOU MUST LIKE TO SOME WHAT
ENJOY DRIVING,ENJOY PEOPLE,THE WEATHER,SCHEDULE CAN BE GREAT,GOOD WITH A MAP,GPS WILL HELP,PACE YOUR TIME, BE KIND TO YOUR SETTLEMENTS. (THE CLIENTS OR CUSTOMER) THAT YOUR SETTLEMENTS....
CASH!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tomd in Bristol, Connecticut

53 months ago

i USE TO MAKE VERY GOOD MONEY DOING THAT JOB BUT YOU HAVE TO PUT ALOT OF HOURS i HAVE A FRIEND DO 2700.00 A WEEK BUT THEM WHERE THE GOOD DAYS THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU CAR OR VAN ALL THEY CRE ABOUT IS THIER TAKE OF THE MONEY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

gwg in Allison Park, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

Many thanks for your kind words! Trying to get started in a new career is wicked, but I'm taking it day by day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

HELLO GWG:
GWG beleive me it's not about age it's all about attitude,and being kind and professional to the clients that the name of the
business that also the heart of the business....GWG YOU ARE A
Independent contractor just have a professional attitude work well
with all of your clients and your business well do very well. attitude attitude that the ticket...some times yes you may put in
long hours some times a little work has not killed any one.think of it this way you work hard in life befor and your still here that was for another firm this will be for GWG company...
this career will pay off... look up the word INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR
AND MY FRIEND YOU'LL FIND YOUR ANSWER.. THAT WILL WORK...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

TOM D IN BRISTOL,ALL COMPANY ARE THIS WAY BUT KEEP THIS IN MIND
WE ALL ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR,COMPANY ARE IN THIS FOR THE
MONEY AND SO ARE WE, STAND UP YOU ARE RUNNING A BUSINESS ALSO WE ARE 1099 NOT W2 MOST OF THESE COMPANY OR ONLY IN THIS FOR THEM SELF.
SOME OF THESE SIDE WALK COMPANY DO NOT LIKE THE IDEAL OF A I/C BUSINESS TO MAKE LARGE X AMOUNTS OF CASH BUT EACH COMPANY DO WANT
LOTS OF THE WORK OUT... WELL IF YOU ARE WITH A W2 MIND SET THAT THE WAY THAT THE COMPANY LIKE I/C ATTITUDE, BUT KEEP IT IN MIND
YOU ARE OPERATION A BUSINESS ALSO...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tomd in Bristol, Connecticut

53 months ago

Yep the owner didnt even know thee routes they called me when i wa out making a deliveryanded me w\how do u do this run and he wa the boss taken the fact he never worked for such a large company or he never work in the Pharacey before .so I said to him on the Phone you are asking me and your the boss oh u do it you have too learn like I said gefore I knew 95% of where all the nursing homes annd asstide living and group homes .THi was before they had GPS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I knew the routes very well I had a supervisor ask me while I was doing a route how do I do this route before GPS came out also had 1 driver call me and he asked me where this home was in Lichfield Ct. lol he went by it 4 times and you could find it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

the courier that i was working for as an independent conteractor said to me they couldnt afford me and said didnt need me any more2 days went by and the Pharmacey Manager called and asked me where I was so i told him what the courier owner told me ,then he asked me if I would work for him ,and I said sure .They paid me more then the courier did .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

well Im noyt braggin or anything but no one could belieave I knew all them home and grounp homes,b secert there was some thing at each groupe home hab a A o eacjh Mail box on the side of the road and I never told anyone about them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tomd48#comcast.net in Bristol, Connecticut

53 months ago

Sotrryb everyonre that I repeated things had a probelem am having trouble but I thing you gut can read between the lines good luck everyone

Josh Dylan in Seattle

53 months ago

Hey everyone

I just wanted to knbow wha insurance i should get...and will my beat up ford be ok to become a courier?

Patrick Kallie in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

Josh Dylan in Seattle said: Hey everyone

I just wanted to knbow wha insurance i should get...and will my beat up ford be ok to become a courier ?

Josh it all depends on the company that you plan on working with.

Some will want you to get $100,000 / $300,000 / $50,000 (PIP) Personal Injury Protection Insurance coverage.

This is....

1. Bodily Injury Liability $100,000 (Each Person)

2. Bodily Injury Liability $300,000 (Each Accident)

3. Property Damage Liability $50,000 (Each Accident)

Or some don't mind you having regular insurance - it just depends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Tomd in Bristol, Connecticut said: i USE TO MAKE VERY GOOD MONEY DOING THAT JOB BUT YOU HAVE TO PUT ALOT OF HOURS i HAVE A FRIEND DO 2700.00 A WEEK BUT THEM WHERE THE GOOD DAYS THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU CAR OR VAN ALL THEY CRE ABOUT IS THIER TAKE OF THE MONEY

You are right about working long hours! Some people get into this business thinking it's like a typical 9 to 5 job? I work 12 to 14 hour days sometime.

C. Renee in Plymouth, Massachusetts

32 months ago

Don't bother. I've been a courier for 8 years and it's a thankless job. If you are retired and looking for something part time, great. If not - move on. The industy doesn't pay what it used to, as immigrants are willing to do the work for peanuts.
After you pay for gas, and put the wear and tear on your car - it's pointless. There are NO benefits and good luck getting vacation time.
Go to school for anything else, maybe get your cdl license and become a truck driver with a company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

It all depends on the company that you are working for. All companies are not created equal in the courier industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

The N keeper LLC in Washington, District of Columbia

32 months ago

True

Holly in Provo, Utah

22 months ago

Thanks for the comments everyone! I've been looking into being a courier in Toronto part time and I think it would be a good fit. Does anyone have opinions about being part time? Thanks again! www.unitedmessengers.com

DaveP in Melbourne, Australia

4 months ago

I'm just starting out as a courier driver and wonder what phone apps other drivers have used.
I have been able to find anything on the AppStore to get jobs or keep track.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.