Comments (1 to 50 of 92)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Robertoe542 in Hellertown, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

What are your thoughts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mhmmedley in Florence, Alabama

66 months ago

what are you going to do when your social security check is cut un half and your stupid 401k is only worth 10% of its expected value ? that's why I work unin even though I have college degrees in construction !!!!! CCO crane op is the way to go thru your local union chapter !!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kirk in Detroit, Michigan

66 months ago

If I was in a union, I wouldn't be out of work right now. Granted the some will say that it is unions that brought this country down but, at least you'd still be working.
I've seen unions save individual's jobs where anywhere else you'd be fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tinman35 in Guyton, Georgia

66 months ago

mhmmedley in Florence, Alabama said: what are you going to do when your social security check is cut un half and your stupid 401k is only worth 10% of its expected value ? that's why I work unin even though I have college degrees in construction !!!!! CCO crane op is the way to go thru your local union chapter !!!!!!

the union way the right way i'm in the local 474 operators and enginners

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

delpozo in Phoenix, Arizona

66 months ago

i just join my local 438 will see what happens im a NCCCO operator with a.s.m.e b 30.5 certs as well as school certs some thing tells me this is the way to go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eddie in Glendale, Arizona

65 months ago

delpozo have they put you to work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sneaknin in Henderson, Kentucky

65 months ago

NCCO lattice Boom and Heavy Hydraulic Operator Looking For Union Work Through Operating Engineers. I have Osha 10, 40 hour Hazwopper
Osha Certified RT Forklift TWIC Card Drug Card Class A CDL With all endorsements 30 years Operating Equipment surface and underground! If you need a good Operator Please E-Mail Me
Thank You Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

crane guy in East Meadow, New York

65 months ago

if the union was so great and had so much work why are they out with the rat when they should be working i mean you dont see non union guys standing in front of a union site why is that the union workers are no defferent than the manson followers they do the dirty work and keep the b/a's in those caddy's so lets here what people have to say about this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida

63 months ago

I'm a union operator. Unions are a tool in your toolbox. If you want proper training it's the way to go. You also have a retirement. With non-union, what do you have? Some of the men you work with were working at the Quick Stop last week, in other words have no training and no experience. You can be told to do something you know is wrong and if you don't do it You're Fired and They'll just get someone else that is job scared. No work for union or non-union at this time, But when the rules change and they will because of the acciedents of recent past. The powers that be, will require actual seat time to get certs. Just because you can buy a cco doesn't mean you earned it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

scott

63 months ago

People can say what they want keep this in mind companys will get away with what they want pay you a mount you need to have health care area they do not want to take care of that. Also unions show the wages and hours in each county to keep the wages up with out unions we would be swinging for 15.00 and the company pocket more. The wages is not the key to a job it is the profit we all need to have a level playing field with out unions we would be in central america wages

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

googlie in East China, Michigan

63 months ago

I think when unions first started sprouting out in the industrial age it had a meaningful purpose, to keep wages livable and demand fair work hours/conditions. Now it has seemed to have turned into a money-grubbing group of scammer's.

just my two cents...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida

63 months ago

Non-union wages for the most part are competitive to union(on the check), not so for health and welfare. If unions are busted, the non-union wage will fall. Simple economics, no competition pay what you want. United We Stand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jj in Bemidji, Minnesota

60 months ago

unions keep the hard working man that dont want to be union from working, and do nothing but baby the lazy babies.. I know some of the best operators that are laid off (and some working) that wanted to join the union for job security purposes but the unions wont accept them in, because there are too many people on the bench sitting there waiting to be called to work INSTEAD of getting out there and LOOKING for their own damn work.. plus its better to get on a company thats non union that pays prevailing wages anyway,, you get more on the check along with all the benefits without paying union dues.. why pay a union to work, when you should get paid to work..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kenny kiff in New Iberia, Louisiana

60 months ago

if don't mind get back with me. i am a offshore crane oper. and need to know wherethe work is.i just need to know the between them. tell that on kenny.kiff@yahoo.com

manitowoc in Rutland, Massachusetts

60 months ago

Robertoe542 in Hellertown, Pennsylvania said: What are your thoughts

I think it takes both sides with out one the other one would take advantage and as far as retirement your union pension could be just as worthless as anything else it is an investment like all others and faces the same risk. I have friends that lost very large chunks out of there union pension from madoff.

Cole49 in Bismarck, North Dakota

60 months ago

I think people should look back and remember that Unions built are great country. They are the ones that brought saftey into the workforce to begin with. In 1950 49.8% of the US was union and buying and selling union, Now 13% is union and look around. And Kenny the work is in Canada atm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tinmanblowshissteward

60 months ago

tinman35 in Guyton, Georgia said: Go union or go home rats

It's morons like yourself that have allowed the union greed to take this country over and bring it down. A real man doesn't need to pay a union a large chunk of his salary to "look out for him". Since your mommy is gone, isn't it nice the union is there to take care of you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kenny kiff in Deville, Louisiana

60 months ago

Cole49 in Bismarck, North Dakota said: I think people should look back and remember that Unions built are great country. They are the ones that brought saftey into the workforce to begin with. In 1950 49.8% of the US was union and buying and selling union, Now 13% is union and look around. And Kenny the work is in Canada atm.

i have seen many videos on saftey and 80% of the videos show the union and they are not safe at all........1 of them sticks out my mind is they got 5 or 6 men sitting on a I beam hanging from the crane God only knows how high they were but you can see the top of other buildings....so my guess they were up there,know what i mean? anyway they didn't have any safety harnesses,hard hats,glasses,NOTHING so how can yousay that they or safe. i saw many on cranes falling over,booms crashing,just all kind of things like that. don't get me wrong offshore was the same way but we have changed 90%.ppl getting hurt is always a bad thing but thats how we learn from our mistakes,said but true,thats why they say the rules or wrote in BLOOD,because some1 hadto die for it to be into action. i'm pretty sure the union is the same way, all we can do is be safe,watch out for yourself and try to watch out for your ppl working for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James007 in Whittier, California

58 months ago

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida said: I'm a union operator. Unions are a tool in your toolbox. If you want proper training it's the way to go. You also have a retirement. With non-union, what do you have? Some of the men you work with were working at the Quick Stop last week, in other words have no training and no experience. You can be told to do something you know is wrong and if you don't do it You're Fired and They'll just get someone else that is job scared. No work for union or non-union at this time, But when the rules change and they will because of the acciedents of recent past. The powers that be, will require actual seat time to get certs. Just because you can buy a cco doesn't mean you earned it.

Besides the retirement plan also lots of info from free classes you get join from the union.also hourly pay rates and vacation checks. something that if your are NON UNION you will never see. and also your local union can search work for you. local or out of state. my local does.

so for any of you out there struggling with work get involve with your local and find out where all the work is....

cetim in Willmar, Minnesota

58 months ago

jj in Bemidji, Minnesota said: unions keep the hard working man that dont want to be union from working, and do nothing but baby the lazy babies.. I know some of the best operators that are laid off (and some working) that wanted to join the union for job security purposes but the unions wont accept them in, because there are too many people on the bench sitting there waiting to be called to work INSTEAD of getting out there and LOOKING for their own damn work.. plus its better to get on a company thats non union that pays prevailing wages anyway,, you get more on the check along with all the benefits without paying union dues.. why pay a union to work, when you should get paid to work..

JJ my no doubt young lad or mentally challenged old lad, who do you think is responsible for establishing the prevailing wage? I will spell it out for you in case you fit into the mentally challenged catagory. The process of collective bargainging and the concenpt of a labor organization (union) are the vehicle that has established your wage, even though you do not seem to realize that fact. If the union was gone, there would be a warp speed race to the bottom as far as wage rates in the construction industry are concerned. I have yet to see an open-shop contractor that matches my benefits as a 49'er. Some suggested reading for your continueing education, "THE GRAPES OF WRATH", written by John Steinbeck. You can read about how the labor market (you, my friend), were treated during the great depression of the 30's. Scary thing is, the same thing is going on right now in 2010. UNITED WE STAND cetim49@hotmail.com

kenny kiff kyfho in Columbia, Louisiana

58 months ago

james007. non union workers have the same things as union workers. yours MIGHT be better than ours but we do have them,you just to get into it, it ain't going to come to you. you don't have to go with the company you can go outside of them.myself i do both,we sure or not getting any younger so we got to look at the hole pic. not get tunnel vision!!!!!!!! be safe

58 months ago

IF ANYBODY IS LOOKING FOR WORK JUST COME DOWN SOUTH IN LOUISIANA AND YOU CAN FIND SOME WORK IT WILL PICK UP MORE. THE WARMER IT GETS THE MORE WORK WE HAVE DOWN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE SAFE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

cetim i agree with jj,they got jobs out there you just got to get off there as's and go find them. how or you going to find a job sitting on there as. what ppl going to wait untill the GREAT UNION is going to say it's time to go to work,FU-K THAT....... plus most of the companys i've worked for is owned by ppl that live here and they or not going any where,they don't need anybodys money to make it. and as for as being challened i know i'm not just got to sell your self to the company,ya'll get sold. so think about that!!!!!!!!!!you ppl got to pay to work we don't,some of the lucky ones like myself get payed 40 hrs. a week when were off,WHAT ABOUT YOU, i don't know to much about the union but i'm pretty sure they don't,you still giving there as's money and not making sh-t,don't you think thats just a little of a dumbas thing to do????????? I SURE AS FU-K DO !!!!!!!!!!!! be safe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cetim in Annandale, Minnesota

58 months ago

Sorry Kenny, but after reading your reply, it is pretty obvious that any conversation with you is pretty much hopeless. You are either incapable of understanding the subject, or do not wish to understand.

58 months ago

cetim, i do understand more than you know,i'm just happy at what i do and most of the safety films we see down here or ppl up there killing cranes... we do have some of us,don't get me wrong but that was the old days,we have come along way sinse then. the oil companys or really safe these days and watch anyone in the crane. but i still don't see why some ppl have to watch other ppl work and they don't,get up and go find a job.....want's wrong with that????i'm sure most have kids,wife and all that,but they can't get to work..maybe your right, maybe i just incapble of understanding the subject of feed there FAMILYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be safe

58 months ago

kenny, lets address the feed your family aspect of working. In my local, (IUOE local 49), we have written into our labor contract that a contractor will contact the hiring hall when in need of operator labor for a particular project/work assignment. Local 49, as all IUOE locals, maintains a list of qualified (read here safe, journeymen) operators who by the bylaws of the local and international IUOE shall be dispatched according to their place on the hiring hall list. This placement is determined by when you call in at lay-off (end of job). Someone off work, calling in to be put on the out of work list before you call in, would be given the oppertunity to be dispatched/put to work before you---someone calling in to be put on the out of work list after you call in would be dispatched after you. This system provides honest contractors with qualified, read here safe, journeymen operators, qualified to do the work required by that contractor. There are union operators that ignore the rules of the contract and solicit there own work. These are ushually the people that are responsible for breaking down wages/working conditions in the construction industry, be it a work site where you have a mix of union and non-union people or straight union job or non-union job. One point I made earlier is that the union labor contracts are what is used by
State and Federal Government to establish the prevailing wage rate for a given geographical area. We alllllll need to feed our family. Going out and joining the race to the bottom (how little can we work for in terms of our hourly wages and benefits) by going to a contractor and saying, look I've done this for 35 years, but I am willing to work for $2.00 less than that kid with the brand new Taiwanese Tennis Shoes (read here that kid is willing to run, litterally, all day long and lets face it, at 55 or 60 years of age, you can not run as fast as the kid) does NO good for your financial well being (feeding your family). ceti

58 months ago

cetim,or you union or non???? i do understand that some ppl break the rules,lets face it we all have once in a while,don't lie lol. but i have a 14/14 job for 2 yrs. right now, that is if they don't add anything to us,but with B.P. they WILL always add something.... they pay me 40 yrs. a week when i'm off for my 14 days,i have 401k,and ira's,2 rent houses in M.C.,and land up nouth,where i stay now.....and your right about the kids running crazy,there all over the place,and i'm not a spring chicken myself so i'm not trying to catch them lol. but anyway thats where the years in the seat come in handy,if you know what i mean???????? i'm just saying that ppl in the union set there and wait for a job and still have to pay there dues,i don't see where that's any good, work no money and still pay [whats up with that].i've never been in the union and hope i never will, not to say that i wouldn't but as soon as something would come along i would be out of there. ppl got to do what they got to do for there family. i just can't see paying and not working[can't see it sorry]. i'm not they to put anybody down for it like i said you got to do what you got to do. but the companys down here don't need the great union. down here they know when your out of work and if your a good hand they put you to work as soon as you want them to,if the work is there if you know what i maen????? it just hit me wrong when you said some of the worst opers. come from down south,i know i'm a dam good oper. crane inspet. etc.,push crews, do a little formen work[don't really like that but i do it if i have to for the FAMILY] so before you say that you should get to know some of us down here because like i said today we see alot of saety films on things that go wrong up there and alot less of it down here like it use to be. but if you want to come get you som of this 8-10 foot seas 40 mile an winds and all that i might could hook you up with some work and you can see what i'm talking about!!! be safe

jj in San Diego, California

58 months ago

cetim is definitely the meantally challenged one,, he's been the most brain-washed,, enough said!! unions may have served a purpose back in the day, but you're paying dues into your union just so all them pencil pushers can take their 3,4,or 5 weeks of paid vacation every year and your vacation check size is determined on how many hours you worked during the year to add to your vacation pay,, YOU are paying YOUR OWN vacation cetim,, they're just setting your own money aside for you, along with setting your money aside for THEM,, sorry cetim, but you are a sucker,, :)

Jimbo in Levittown, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Sometimes unions play favorites. In my local (in Phila) you have to wait for the list which don't mean anything. Guys leapfrog right over you on the list. And some guys that are working actually work 8 hrs. on one job then go out right after that and work another 8 (80 hrs.) then the union doesn't do anything to the operator or the contractor. One guy doing two guys work and a list of 500 out of work. Complain and you're black balled. You make the call there.

58 months ago

jj in San Diego, California said: cetim is definitely the meantally challenged one,, he's been the most brain-washed,, enough said!! unions may have served a purpose back in the day, but you're paying dues into your union just so all them pencil pushers can take their 3,4,or 5 weeks of paid vacation every year and your vacation check size is determined on how many hours you worked during the year to add to your vacation pay,, YOU are paying YOUR OWN vacation cetim,, they're just setting your own money aside for you, along with setting your money aside for THEM,, sorry cetim, but you are a sucker,, :)

Hey JJ, The concept of union, (organized labor is something that you as an open shop, read here does not contribute toward the bargaining process in securing a fair working wage, but rather is carried by organized labor, which, again is responsible for establishing the wage you receive. In other words, you are willing to let organized labor do the bargaining, but are unwilling to contribute in the democratic process. By the way, we have no dedicated vacation fund in 49. You simply save part of your earnings toward a vacation if that is your desire. The local (49) has nothing to do with vacation funding. If a dedicated vacation fund is the case in San Dieago and part of your compensation package, and you disagree with it, there is a process to change the handling of the fund. If you work open shop, you have no choice. It's my way or the hiway (from contractors point of view) end of story.

58 months ago

Hey Kenny, I can't recall ever saying or insinuating anyone from any geographical area is a bad op. Matter of fact I have Kin-folk from Georgia, several of them excellent, retired union operators living in the Milledgeville area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Jimbo in Levittown, Pennsylvania said: Sometimes unions play favorites. In my local (in Phila) you have to wait for the list which don't mean anything. Guys leapfrog right over you on the list. And some guys that are working actually work 8 hrs. on one job then go out right after that and work another 8 (80 hrs.) then the union doesn't do anything to the operator or the contractor. One guy doing two guys work and a list of 500 out of work. Complain and you're black balled. You make the call there.

Hey Jimbo, I can't count the number of times I have had a so called brother stab me in the back, spiking work, cutting there own deals, etc. Point is, ANY of us carrying a lunch bucket to make a living would be in deep ---- without the collective bargaining process. That includes open shop or union operators.

58 months ago

thats right, end of story cause you dont get it! keep payin for your higher-ups time off,, think outside the box(union)

58 months ago

jj,i don't know to much about the union but what i have heard it's just like your saying. well to bad for them. but everybody got to work and if thats what they think they got to do let them,let them feed the rich while there not eating to good,well maybe some ain't eating to good some are.but like i said before WE the ppl got to look out # one the family!!!!!!!!! i just don't see why they should have to pay there dues even when there not working,just can't understand that for anything in the world,maybe it's just me......f-ck it. i'm not going to pay sh-t to anybody and not have food on the table!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be safe

58 months ago

i hear ya kenny,, are you working in new orleans? i have relatives in thibadeaux and houma area.. if i ever get sick of san diego, louisianna would be my next stop.. that cetim guy just dont get it.. one day i hope he does..

58 months ago

jimbo,see thats what i'm talking about....we have the same thing down here but not with the 2 jobs..you can work for 2,3, companys if you want to,you know go where the work is???? but the jumping is sometimes really bad FOR SOME,see you got guys that ain't worth a sh-t killind cranes,missing jobs,showing up late,etc. [now this is offshore i'm talking about] and it seems they get all the good work that really sucks for some,i'm one of the lucky ones that know how to sell myself to the company that i'm going to work for[most don't].i got a steady job 14/14 i would like 14/7 but it's got to do what you got to do for now,if you know what i mean.but i still get payed 40 hrs. a week when i'm off so it isn't to bad. and thats what i mean about selling yourself to a company.use to everyone knew everyone now most ppl or just a number to the big co., i work for a pretty big one so i know. but i do know most of the ppl i work for because there from the same place that i am,well pretty close anyway. thats why i said before you got to sell yourself not let them sell you like the union does!!!!!!!! be safe

58 months ago

Hey San Diego jj, I don't know where you form the idea that my union reps are higher ups. The way the system works is, these people are actually my employees. If they act adversely toward my best interests, they are subjected to the same possibilities as any employee who does not perform to the standards set forth by their boss (read, that would be me brother). I do not try and foster an adversarial relationship between myself and my employees and thinking of an employee as a higher-up (as in class warfare?) man....don't know what kind of whacky your smoking tonight. UNIED WE STAND...that would be those of us fortunate enough to belong to a union and reap the benefits of collective bargaining..DIVIDED WE BEG...that would be those of us working without the benefits of collective bargaining (open shop). Worked on the open shop side of the fence, prior to becomeing a 49'er. I can remember, even though it was more than 30 years ago, wondering if my paycheck would be there on payday, would it be the right amount, are we going to work tomorrow, or is the boss going fishing while I try and figure out how to pay the rent? Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but try being honest with yourself.

58 months ago

cetim,if it wasn't you ,my bad. but if i replyed to it it was right then and there. we have pretty good opers. down here[some] got some pull-dos too lol.anyway i know x union workers that have moved down here just because of the work we have down here. offshore we get free food and bed,don't have to send any money on the high as gas,and alot of hours.plus you get time off to do what ever you want to do,what ever that may be....... and we don't have to pay any dues when we don't work. i've been a oper. for 23 yrs. and there's only a hand full of times i've been out of work.mostly in the winter time it gets slow,but enough to live on, just got to save for it anybody that got time offshore know it's coming,some or just ate up with the dumd as lol know what i mean?????but like i said if it wasn't you my bad!!!!!!!!!!!!be safe

58 months ago

jj,i hear ya. really i'm from morgan city so you never know i might even know some of your ppl,i use to get around pretty good in the days lmao. but cuz some ppl never get it,it's on them. i like want i do so i do mt do,if you know what i mean. and make the $$$$$$$ too lol. come on back down it's picking up all the time we just picked up another job the other day for about 3,31/2 yrs.. 100 hrs. plus come get you some!!!!!!!! be safe

58 months ago

oh my bad jj no i don't work in the city i work offshore with a company in new iberia!!!!!!!!!!! be safe

58 months ago

just so you know, im the same jj from minnesota,, i just moved to san diego,, as for your higher-ups, i meant the people that are the non field workers,, all your office people that you're working for and paying your dues to so they have a job and paid vacations and arent worried about getting laid off while the people that actually do the work (like yourself) are worried about if they gonna get to work the next day or week,,

58 months ago

jj,thats why i work offshore,i don't to deal with the higher-ups but 1 time a month,when i come in from offshore. but there diffent from the union they have not forgot where they come from. most of them have been where i'm at right now,or in the shop etc.. but still they get new cars,REAL good vacations,and most of them or family in the office lol.they make up jobs just to get them to keep a job, never seen so many made up jobs lmao..... but i guess everyone got to take care of there ppl.i just wish it wasn't at our money. they the oones that get all the money,get all the nice gifts that the oil companys give to us,they send them to the shop and we or suppose to get them, we don't see sh-t if you know what i mean???? be safe

crane man in little rock, Arkansas

56 months ago

hey kenny is there alot of work down there? i have been running cranes since 1990 ncco on lattic crawler,large and small hyd have ran friction rigs for my first 10years before moving on to hyd rigs most of my work is with bridge companies driving piling (sheets,Hpile,shell,concrete) clamshell work on coffer dams, air hammers,diesel hammers mkt hammers ect. alot of time in the seat of trackholes,backholes little less time on a dozer but still can hold my own but i am not a finish dozer hand all though i have replaced guys that called themselves finish hands but i am to pickie to call myself a finish hand any way if you would leave me your e-mail address on here and ill contact you. thanks

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland

56 months ago

No union = 7 day work week, 12 hour shifts, still not enough money to feed your family. Look up your history! Corporate is just as greedy as they ever were- even more, if you look at CEO pay- without unions this nation would be no different than the third world!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kenny kiff {kyfho} in Opelousas, Louisiana

56 months ago

crane guy, they got some if you what to come offshore, on land they have a good bit more. i have a friend of mine running some bridge work right now, i could get the name for he been trying to pull me over there to run fric. but i like the water to much lol!!!!!!!!!!! be safe

56 months ago

i don't need to get into all of the BS that this site offers but what is the going rate down there. gen ideal is fine

56 months ago

i have never worked offshore that sounds like something i would love to try if you could drop some names of companys that i could call myself would be great. thanks

56 months ago

crane man, they have all kind of companys down here. you try dynamic, g.i.s., crown oilfield, bay offshore, shaw, they have a as load of them. but i gotta let you know that they WILL play mind games with you about the money, you just got to fu-k with them and they will give you mostly what you want. just got to prove to them the good time in the seat, show themsome good certs., and some old ones to show the years that you have. that always a plus!!!!!!!!!!!!! be safe

56 months ago

ok Kenny thanks

56 months ago

any time crane man. want everybody to work and have some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ be safe

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.