How is the NCCCO scored?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Goshawk in Onalaska, Washington

59 months ago

Greetings,
Some of us who run mobile cranes in our facility have been asked to take the NCCCO test for mobile cranes. Ok, so far so good. Class for a week, then the practical test. Only one snag.
Nobody from the NCCCO will tell any of us what the score system is. I called the Utah office and it was like a question and answer session from the twilight zone.

What does it take to pass the practical side of the test?
You need 70% to pass.
Ok, how many points off for a bumped cone?
I can't tell you that.
What about the time limit? Is it a point per 10 seconds or what?
I can't tell you that.
So, let me see if I'm following you. Your going to administer a test that takes 70% to pass, but you won't tell anyone what it takes as far as how many mistakes you can make to pass the same test?
Right.
Can you pass the test if you finish clean but ran 30 seconds over?
I can't tell you that.
So, your expecting me to pay $1,500 per man for taking this test, but you won't tell me anything on how the test is scored so I can better the folks who operate?
Right.
Doesn't that seem a little strange to you from the buyers standpoint?
What do you mean?
I'm buying a service from you, but how you administer that service and grade it is a secrete.
Right. It's an industry standard. Happens all the time in the other trades too.

So, here's my question to those of you who have gone before me.
Does anyone in the free world know how the practical test is scored? How many points off for a bumped cone or over time? I'm starting to stress a little over the whole "I can't tell you that" process.

Thanks in advance,
Goshawk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tom c a in huntsville, Texas

59 months ago

I have the answer for you. The chain you get 1 min 30 sec to go circle to circle. The barrel test you get 3 mins 30 sec. The couse you have 3 mins one way 3 mins back. You go over on time 3 sec is 1 point. You knock over the barrel it's 15 points off 5 points if you move it out of the circle . The course is 1 point for each ball knocked offthe poll and 3 points if knock the poll over. If you raise the chain that is connected to the bottom the wheight off the ground you FAIL THE COURSE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Excellent.
At least I know what we are in for.
Thank you very much.
Goshawk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tom c a in huntsville, Texas

59 months ago

You are welcome good luck on you'r test.

Roger in Kennewick, Washington

54 months ago

Iceworker08 in Ellensburg, Washington said: You don't fail if the Chain comes off the deck but you do get points off for it. I know this because I took the heavy Hydraulic and passed. Even after my Chain left the ground on the z course.[/QUOTE

I also took the test and got a 76 and flunked. They told me that it takes 80 to pass

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dredgelor1@comcast.net in Newark, Delaware

54 months ago

It's 70 percent for the written test. I believe it is 80 for the practical, but don't quote me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Ok, now to make matters worse.
One of our guys got a letter back with a score of 41 and also a "PASS" on it.
Was this a mistake or is the new test based on a score of 50?
Still Confused

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dancinbull in Canyon Lake, Texas

47 months ago

NCCCO is a joke. i used to be a practical examiner for the NCCCO and I can tell you it is too easy to pass. There are some people out there with CCO cards that shouldn't have them. But then if it was difficult to get, no one would participate would they? And that wouldn"t be very profitable woiuld it.
I wouldn't hire half the people I tested, but by the NCCCO standards they passed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

WEZZEL1 in Andrews, Texas

47 months ago

I DID GOOD ON EVRY THAG BUTT ON MY SECOND PASS THUR THE Z I HIT 4OR 5 CONES ON THE LAST LAGG.I PASSED.RESON BEING THE OLD CRAEN DID NOT RESPONDE FAST .I HAD MOOR TIME.BUTT IGOT IN A HURREY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Goshawk in Salkum, Washington

47 months ago

And today, we get a phone call saying three operators who had passed and received their cards need to send them back. Some NCCCO auditing has shown that some scores were not graded accurately! Talk about some PEEVED OPERATORS!!! Now we need to get extensions, set up the course and do it all again, not knowing what went wrong the first time; if anything!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

shorty in Kenner, Louisiana

43 months ago

I KNOCK OVER 5 BALLS,AND HAVE NO IDEAL ON THE TIME...CAUSE EXAMINER WON'T TELL YOU ANYTHING...I'M STRESS AND WORRIED IF I PASS..HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

You have to wait for the test results in the mail. Then, and after a month, if nobody has called you up changing your score you'll know for sure. We have had people pass only to have the company call back wanting the card returned. Very poor management in the process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

w23edc in Tupelo, Mississippi

43 months ago

NCCCO a joke? Question: how can a new candidate get the experience necessary to pass the test and get a job. Answer: Some how, some way, the INDUSTRY has to pay for all this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Well, here's another rub as it were.
A company member was chosen to learn to operate two different cranes. On Monday, for the first time ever I showed him how to set up a crane, and what the controls are. We then spent the day practicing for the test. He has never run a crane before; period. On Tuesday he took and passed both tests, so now he is a certified crane operator for the two classes of cranes he tested on. He has already passed the written part so he has a card in hand and is ready to go.
Makes me feel safer already!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

No.
See original post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

P-nice

43 months ago

dancinbull in Canyon Lake, Texas said: NCCCO is a joke. i used to be a practical examiner for the NCCCO and I can tell you it is too easy to pass. There are some people out there with CCO cards that shouldn't have them. But then if it was difficult to get, no one would participate would they? And that wouldn"t be very profitable woiuld it.
I wouldn't hire half the people I tested, but by the NCCCO standards they passed.

do u no how many points are deducted for each ball

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

snake571 in Jefferson City, Tennessee

42 months ago

I have to say this is b.s. Must be one of a kind to operate a crane one day and pass practical test for nccco cert. I have seen operators with more than 10 years experience fail .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

No BS, We just practiced all day long and he got on it the next day for the test. His motions were all down pat to move the weight, chain and barrel drill. The crane was never moved from the course where he practiced on it.
If you know real 10 year operators who are failing they must have been very nervious or the crane testing company just wanted to be paid twice.

Rick Baker in Glendale, Arizona

42 months ago

Goshawk in Onalaska, Washington said: Excellent.
At least I know what we are in for.
Thank you very much.
Goshawk

I don't know Goshawk...you can't get a straight answer out of this bunch here either! I'm a certified practical administrator....when your ready for the correct answers, let me know! I'd be glad to post it here but then they'd argue with me about that too! LOL

Rick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shorty

42 months ago

Rick Baker in Glendale, Arizona said: I don't know Goshawk...you can't get a straight answer out of this bunch here either! I'm a certified practical administrator....when your ready for the correct answers, let me know! I'd be glad to post it here but then they'd argue with me about that too! LOL

Rick

Do you know,how many points are deducted for each ball

42 months ago

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and guess he was more interested in points than who gets paid for doing it...

Brian in Mansfield, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

It must be a joke. Ive been waiting on my results for weeks, and I got a fat 22 FAIL. I knocked nothing over, did everything correctly, but admit I may have gone over just a little because the machine was an ancient Grove and hard to run. I litteraly aced it . How is this possible?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Whipline in Oviedo, Florida

40 months ago

Brian in Mansfield, Pennsylvania said: It must be a joke. Ive been waiting on my results for weeks, and I got a fat 22 FAIL. I knocked nothing over, did everything correctly, but admit I may have gone over just a little because the machine was an ancient Grove and hard to run. I litteraly aced it . How is this possible?

You lose points for time, the entire event is timed, nit just the zig zag

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Iceworker08 in Long Beach, Washington

36 months ago

tom c a in huntsville, Texas said: I have the answer for you. The chain you get 1 min 30 sec to go circle to circle. The barrel test you get 3 mins 30 sec. The couse you have 3 mins one way 3 mins back. You go over on time 3 sec is 1 point. You knock over the barrel it's 15 points off 5 points if you move it out of the circle . The course is 1 point for each ball knocked offthe poll and 3 points if knock the poll over. If you raise the chain that is connected to the bottom the wheight off the ground you FAIL THE COURSE.

No you don't fail if you lift the chain off the ground. I did and I passed.

OperatorNetwork in Dublin, Ohio

34 months ago

Mobile Crane Operator
Mobile Crane Operator certification is valid for five (5) years. Candidates must complete all of their recertification requirements during the 12 months prior to their expiration date.
Candidates who can document at least 1,000 hours crane-related experience during their period of certification do not need to take the practical exam to recertify.
Crane related experience is defined as: operating, maintenance, inspection, or training.
However, candidates who do need to take the Practical exam must do so before their certification expires. There is no "grace period" after the date of expiration. Candidates whose certification has lapsed must take the full written and practical examinations over again in order to be certified.
The written recertification examination consists of a Core examination in crane operation, as well as four Specialty examinations. The Core examination has 40 multiple-choice questions with a time limit of 45 minutes.
Each Specialty examination consists of 10 multiple choice questions with a time limit of 30 minutes. Four of the questions in each Specialty exam are calculation load chart questions.
All candidates are required to take the Recertification Core examination regardless of the Specialty(s) in which they wish to be recertified.
Recertification candidates are allowed two (2) attempts to pass the recertification Core and Specialty exams before their certification expires. Candidates who are unsuccessful after two (2) attempts must take and pass the regular Core and Specialty exams.
For more information and details about the Mobile Crane Operator Recertification Program.
www.operatornetwork.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Edmonds, Washington

33 months ago

Does anyone have any updated info on how the practical exam is scored? NCCCO won't tell me anything. Is it better to go very slowly and not bump anything and risk going over the optimum time, or go faster to stay within the time but then risk knocking balls off etc. Thanks for any help.

OperatorNetwork in Dublin, Ohio

33 months ago

TASKS
The Four Tasks are:

Task 1: Place overhaul ball chain in Stop Circle
Task 2: Follow hand signals
Task 3: Place overhaul ball in barrels
Task 4: Negotiate Zigzag Corridor With Test Weight
VIEW VIDEO EXAMPLE:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiTPvonyGAE&list=UUY6ly5TArhQ0YR1u-7xrT8A&feature=plcp

There is also a Pre-Test Briefing, a Pre-Test Familiarization Period, and a Pre-Task Familiarization Period (prior to the Zigzag task) with a load. You will be required to complete all phases of the test in sequence.

You must report to the Test Site at the scheduled time. All candidates shall comply with Test Site requirements concerning personal protective equipment (PPE), which at a minimum shall meet federal OSHA requirements.

The Test Site Coordinator is responsible for setting the testing schedule. If you are familiar with the operation of the test crane, you may elect to test first to allow other candidates time to review the operator’s manuals and load charts. Otherwise, selection shall be by random drawing or by assignment of the Test Site Coordinator.

During the Practical Examination, you are under the direction of the Examiner and must follow the Examiner’s directions at all times.

steve in Edmonds, Washington

33 months ago

Thank you, but that is the kind of answer that I get from the NCCCO.

I did three specialty exams on my exam day. On one I got a 95 Pass and a fail on the other two. When I had finished the exams I felt that I had done well on all three of them. The NCCCO won't tell me anything about my scores, only that if I pay them $50 they will rescore my exams. Does this mean they can't score them right the first time?

Maybe I went too slow on two of the exams. I am specifically trying find out what the point value deductions are for each of the items like knocking a ball off, moving a pole off line or tipped over, and especially how much deduction for going over the optimum time, ten seconds, thirty seconds etc.

I won't pay the NCCCO $50 to redo a job I expect them to do right the first time, especially when they won't tell me anything about my scores that would help me when I retest. I want to minimize the number of times I have to pay for the retest and travel expenses.

I see in one of the above comments that three seconds over equals a one point deduction. Has anyone else confirmed this recently?

your kidding in Kansas City, Missouri

32 months ago

Sorry,but if you can't pass with 90% or better you shouldn't be running a crane

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

operatornetwork in Powell, Ohio

32 months ago

I agree, the pass rate on the Signal Person Training is 80%. And we have customers say.....if you screw up 20% of the time when signaling people die...
www.operatornetwork.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

zainal in Makasar, Indonesia

32 months ago

im crane operator lookingfor job as crane opr i can rigging olso

broke in Kansas City, Missouri

31 months ago

1 point per ball
15 points if you knock barrel over
5 out of circle
not positive but think it's 1 point every 3 seconds

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Boricua72 in Ceres, California

31 months ago

dancinbull in Canyon Lake, Texas said: NCCCO is a joke. i used to be a practical examiner for the NCCCO and I can tell you it is too easy to pass. There are some people out there with CCO cards that shouldn't have them. But then if it was difficult to get, no one would participate would they? And that wouldn"t be very profitable woiuld it.

What I don't get and I am confused about all these guy talking about some of the people they would hire.
If you have to go to school to learn how to run a crane. How do you get experience? Please don't tell me
To find a friend, or rent one, or go to work for a company as a swamped or oiler. I was fortunate because since
09- nov 2011 I ran a RT 860 Grove in my friends yard without a cert. When I went to school to get my NCCO I barely passed. What I'm saying is how do you get experience if your not fortunate.

31 months ago

your kidding in Kansas City, Missouri said: Sorry,but if you can't pass with 90% or better you shouldn't be running a crane

Why if you even YOU wasn't born on a crane! You mother did not give birth to you on top of a crane. How can expect high score pilots for airlines don't even score that high. There should be more to the practical and I think the written was to hard. I do agree with you on one thing it should be a combine score and have a high score. Like passing score should be bumped up to 80% min I'm going to be honest I pass practical without hitting anything, but on the written I barely passes core exam I did well on charts and graph.

31 months ago

Boricua72 in Ceres, California said: Why if you even YOU wasn't born on a crane! You mother did not give birth to you on top of a crane. How can expect high score pilots for airlines don't even score that high. There should be more to the practical and I think the written was to hard. I do agree with you on one thing it should be a combine score and have a high score. Like passing score should be bumped up to 80% min I'm going to be honest I pass practical without hitting anything, but on the written I barely passes core exam I did well on charts and graph.

My examiner let us practice the course for 15 min before taking the test. I think that was way cool

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

well in Goose Creek, South Carolina

31 months ago

The 3 seconds thing is true.

steve in Edmonds, Washington said: Thank you, but that is the kind of answer that I get from the NCCCO.

I did three specialty exams on my exam day. On one I got a 95 Pass and a fail on the other two. When I had finished the exams I felt that I had done well on all three of them. The NCCCO won't tell me anything about my scores, only that if I pay them $50 they will rescore my exams. Does this mean they can't score them right the first time?

Maybe I went too slow on two of the exams. I am specifically trying find out what the point value deductions are for each of the items like knocking a ball off, moving a pole off line or tipped over, and especially how much deduction for going over the optimum time, ten seconds, thirty seconds etc.

I won't pay the NCCCO $50 to redo a job I expect them to do right the first time, especially when they won't tell me anything about my scores that would help me when I retest. I want to minimize the number of times I have to pay for the retest and travel expenses.

I see in one of the above comments that three seconds over equals a one point deduction. Has anyone else confirmed this recently?

operatornetwork in Powell, Ohio

31 months ago

David in Anchorage, Alaska said: I recently was required to undergo the NCCO battery of tests for 2 different types of cranes, overhead, and mobile. I aced the written on all of them, and easily passed the practical on the overhead. The practical on the mobile crane was another story. Near 0 degrees f, snowing and windy with a wore out POS crane with a swing control that was so sticky it virtually would not work. My run was mostly clean, (3 balls and one of the drums for the barrel dip moved more than the alotted 2"), but my times were long due to the poor condition of the crane. I have been SAFELY operating cranes for near 30 years now and have never had an accident. But I FAILED my mobile practical with a score of 74. I most likely would have re-tested if I had known how these people score. How can we be held to a standard that we are not told about? A standard should be just that, something that you can CLEARLY measure something against.
On a similar note, in all my years of operating, I have NEVER placed time as a factor of operation. It is SAFETY FIRST. Speed in operation is relative to the task at hand. I feel safer as an operator, or a ground person if the lift is performed without HURRYING!!

Very good and informative info, thanks for sharing.

Nathan Willmore in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

Shorty said: Does anyone know,how many points are deducted,for each ball??

The chain you get 1 min 30 sec to go circle to circle. The barrel test you get 3 mins 30 sec. The couse you have 3 mins one way 3 mins back. You go over on time 3 sec is 1 point. You knock over the barrel it's 15 points off 5 points if you move it out of the circle . The course is 1 point for each ball knocked offthe poll and 3 points if knock the poll over. If you raise the chain that is connected to the bottom the wheight off the ground you FAIL THE COURSE.

big iron in Eagle Creek, Oregon

21 months ago

David in Anchorage, Alaska said: A standard should be just that, something that you can CLEARLY measure something against.
On a similar note, in all my years of operating, I have NEVER placed time as a factor of operation. It is SAFETY FIRST. Speed in operation is relative to the task at hand. I feel safer as an operator, or a ground person if the lift is performed without HURRYING!!

well said one of the several things i did not like about the NCCCO testing procedures was the timing element. in my 30 years i have broken in many operators and the one thing i beat into their head is take you time and be comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigjoe in Jamestown, New York

14 months ago

New York has its own test so operating is not a problem but I need to get NCCCO to work in PA. Is there a good place to find study information for the written part of the exam? Ideally, I would like to find a free download but even a reasonable manual or book I could purchase that would cover everything would be nice. There is a bunch of stuff on line for sale but it is hard tell what is worth buying. My goal is to study on my own and take the test. Any helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve in Edmonds, Washington

11 months ago

bigjoe in Jamestown, New York said: New York has its own test so operating is not a problem but I need to get NCCCO to work in PA. Is there a good place to find study information for the written part of the exam? Ideally, I would like to find a free download but even a reasonable manual or book I could purchase that would cover everything would be nice. There is a bunch of stuff on line for sale but it is hard tell what is worth buying. My goal is to study on my own and take the test. Any helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you belong to an operators union, contact their training department. My union prepared us for the written exam with a one-day class that was one week before they hosted the written exam. Then I studied each evening the week prior to the exam. They supplied us with several sample tests for the core exam and each of the specialty exams, including the load charts and several load chart questions in the same format that will be on the real specialty exams. For your specialty exams you get to choose the make of crane for the load chart questions, such as the ones you are most familiar with. You need to practice the sample load chart questions because you need to be able to do them rapidly but carefully on the exam in the time allowed. Their is time in the one hour allowed for each specialty, however, you must be very familiar with all parts of the load charts, even the details in the written text parts. The core and specialty exams are each one hour. I did the core and four specialties on the same day (five hours total) and did well on all after studying each evening for a week.

When you take your practical, it is very helpful to practice on the actual course that you will test on. The NCCCO allows this prior to the actual official time that the testing process begins. If you go to a private crane training place, rent their crane for an hour and practice before the exam. Call ahead and set this up with them.

11 months ago

Steve in Edmonds, Washington said: If you belong to an operators union, contact their training department. My union prepared us for the written exam with a one-day class that was one week before they hosted the written exam. Then I studied each evening the week prior to the exam. They supplied us with several sample tests for the core exam and each of the specialty exams, including the load charts and several load chart questions in the same format that will be on the real specialty exams. For your specialty exams you get to choose the make of crane for the load chart questions, such as the ones you are most familiar with. You need to practice the sample load chart questions because you need to be able to do them rapidly but carefully on the exam in the time allowed. Their is time in the one hour allowed for each specialty, however, you must be very familiar with all parts of the load charts, even the details in the written text parts. The core and specialty exams are each one hour. I did the core and four specialties on the same day (five hours total) and did well on all after studying each evening for a week.

When you take your practical, it is very helpful to practice on the actual course that you will test on. The NCCCO allows this prior to the actual official time that the testing process begins. If you go to a private crane training place, rent their crane for an hour and practice before the exam. Call ahead and set this up with them.

It is unfortunate that some states try to reinvent-the-wheel and design their own certification program. I don't know why they think they can do it better than the NCCCO. Their are many crane operators that work in more than one state, and the NCCCO certification is accepted very widely. I believe that it would be in your best interest to get the NCCCO cert., even if you are not in a union and have to pay a few hundred extra bucks to a private outfit to get the NCCCO.

11 months ago

Steve in Edmonds, Washington said: It is unfortunate that some states try to reinvent-the-wheel and design their own certification program. I don't know why they think they can do it better than the NCCCO. Their are many crane operators that work in more than one state, and the NCCCO certification is accepted very widely. I believe that it would be in your best interest to get the NCCCO cert., even if you are not in a union and have to pay a few hundred extra bucks to a private outfit to get the NCCCO.

Adding to this, I believe there is a changing trend in our industry regarding certifications. OSHA requires crane certs in all states by 2017. They already require forklift certs. WA state now requires a cert for signalling cranes and rigging. OSHA will probably follow suit. NCCCO provides certs for these also. What's next? Certs for excavator, dozer, loader ??

liz6a9roque in Houston, Texas

9 months ago

If part of the level 2 practical exam is failed, can you still pass the exam?

liz6a9roque@ yahoo.com in Houston, Texas

9 months ago

If you fail part of the level 2 practical, can you still pass the exam?

9 months ago

liz - I tried to email you some info about the exam but it will not go through to the address you listed.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.