looking for mobile crane work in Hawaii state

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

craneman100 in East Liverpool, Ohio

58 months ago

I wan't to know why the IBEW is even considered in this that is an OPERATING ENGINEER job. The friggin sparkies can go twit wires and leave other trades work alone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ron Walton in Edmonton, Alberta

58 months ago

Ron Walton in Edmonton, Alberta said: Have held Journeyman status For heavy boom truck for over 10yrs,Have Arctic as well as off road (bush) experience. Class 1 licenced Certified Journeyman for mobile crane,Conventional,Hydraulic Truck mount and RT. Have run Grove,National, Pitman Manitwoc ,Linkbelt (limited), Hold Canadian Red seal,and alberta Journyman Ticket. Am very familiar with various LMI'S.Documents available to Employer upon request. I Will not work tower crane,unless it is with a ground remote.There is not enough room to write out work related experience.

Also Have experience on Leibherr 165(US)Ton.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida

58 months ago

If day and zimmerman are on an organized labor requirement contract they cannot use union electricians to operate heavy equipment.But if they are on non-union contract then they are just trying to pull a fast one. DZ is non-union and to work on the base they may need organized labor. They are not allowed to bring in another trade under these conditions.Are you an OE 955 member?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

What it looks like is DZ signed a IBEW agreement and not an IUOE agreement. So they're trying to slide someone into the seat under the IBEW contract. Sorry you can't do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

actualy no i am a local 66 operator.d&z is a union company.i worked for them before and they treated me well,but to see the comment about the ibew and pay scale kinda upset me.i hae caught numerous electricians doing operators work and they seem to think it is funny or something.it just upsets me.union members are not going to succeed unless we stick together. i wish everyone would see that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

hey can anyone tell me how the work situation is in Hawaii?I heard they are looking for tower crane operators now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

DZ is non-union down here and I was asking the op from Alberta. He seemed to be the op trying to get the job in Guam. I'm 925, second generation. United we stand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida said: DZ is non-union down here and I was asking the op from Alberta. He seemed to be the op trying to get the job in Guam. I'm 925, second generation. United we stand.

No. I am not interested in Guam. I was offered the posting, in lite of my work experiene is my assumption. I am going into semi-retirement and am looking for work on Maui. I have worked for companies both union and non-union. Don't read into it something that is not there. My prefrence is non-union where I am fully capable of working out my own terms and conditions of employment.

And as far as who the employer has chosen for a labour union contract is of little concern to me. My own operator credentials speak for me. All my credentials have been reviewed by the Hawaii State board and have been Accepted as valid training by the State of Hawaii. The formality of NCCCO written exam is to be done, same as if someone were to come here to Alberta. Mobile Crane and Hoist is a recogonized trade apprenticeship here. Certification in Alberta has been mandatory for over 20 years, something that should have been done in the states a long time ago. The one thing that does impress me is that the US has taken the stand of a national certification, weeding it out of state and municipal hands. That said, it does need to make it a step-class certification based on hours and technical training. No one will convince me that someone who gets a ticket from any institition has the same qualifications as a man or woman with seat time and class time. This is a Trade that requires supervised training and technichal support training. If you think it's just pulling or playing with joy-sticks stay out of the industry and you will save a life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida said: If day and zimmerman are on an organized labor requirement contract they cannot use union electricians to operate heavy equipment.But if they are on non-union contract then they are just trying to pull a fast one. DZ is non-union and to work on the base they may need organized labor. They are not allowed to bring in another trade under these conditions.Are you an OE 955 member?

No I am not IUOE and it would be a cold in hell before I would join them. In fact The Arrogance of that union makes me want to puke. The only union that I have been part of that has gone to any length to assist it's members out side of the employers responsibility is The IBEW local 424. So if their working crane and hoist operators into their agreements all the powert to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Ron you may choose to work non-union but you cannot believe that a company should be hireing sparkies to run cranes. I am a proud IUOE #66 member. And believe me I also have exceptional credentials.I would not trade my union for any carreer.I love the benifits.Especialy the retirement and annuities.Being union I must say we have the best training in the world.I will not say bad thing about your chooseing to work non-union but Don't expect me to bow down to your qualifacaions.I have been doing this a long time as well as most others who log on here to check out how much work is going on where.And the job is at a naval base in guam.The U.S. should make damn sure they are prevailing wage jobs at the very least and less than $18 an hour is definately not.I will be phoneing my congrassmans office..As I hope the rest of U.S. operators will.

58 months ago

If a "sparkie" wants to hold more than one certification to forward his own marketability to employers. Who the hell is anyone to deny that man the right to do it. In the end that man is responsible for seeing to the needs of his family. How he so chooses to do it is up to him, and if that means getting multiple trade tickets well bully for him.

58 months ago

craneman100 in East Liverpool, Ohio said: Ron you may choose to work non-union but you cannot believe that a company should be hireing sparkies to run cranes. I am a proud IUOE #66 member. And believe me I also have exceptional credentials.I would not trade my union for any carreer.I love the benifits.Especialy the retirement and annuities.Being union I must say we have the best training in the world.I will not say bad thing about your chooseing to work non-union but Don't expect me to bow down to your qualifacaions.I have been doing this a long time as well as most others who log on here to check out how much work is going on where.And the job is at a naval base in guam.The U.S. should make damn sure they are prevailing wage jobs at the very least and less than $18 an hour is definately not.I will be phoneing my congrassmans office..As I hope the rest of U.S. operators will.

And you should. See, this is where I like the US. Politicians know that the people are the reason they have a job. But to say that it is wrong of a man to forward himself when the opportunity presents it is. Just because it is the IBEW and not the IUOE please. Also I never put your own credentials up for scrutinity, I believe that the US and Canada should be leading the rest of the world in standards of training for Crane and Hoist with a cross border certification that allows tradesmen to go freely between our two countries like it was before both governments got into pissing matches of territory. NAFTA allows Upper mgmt to flow freely. Why not the free flow of the trades when the position can't be filled in a timely manner locally. I can tell you that there was and will be a severe shortage of qualified people in Alberta in the future.

58 months ago

It is a wrong for a member of the IBEW to take a job not in his field, and they know it. All trades in the union marketplace here in the U.S. have a rule that we will not infringe on hte others trade.As well as it should be.We are specialized crafts.Each of our jobs requires specific knowledge and skills.Very few people can master more than 1 trade let alone some who wan't it all.My brothers both work as non union carpenters. I have the utmost respect for them because they are supporting their families.But as a union operator I fell as though every job I go on I must represent myself, and my union as being the very best.I have worked a few jobs where their have been both union and non union.I am not impartial on this matter but talking to management they were happy with the quality of work from the union operators.They were also happy with two non union operators but we recruited 1 of them.I feel this has alot to do with the apprenticeship program.Although 4 years does not make an operator, It does help yu along the way.Also our willingness to help the less experianced members along the way.Knowledge is a wonderful thing.And experiance is the best teacher.I believe with your credentials you are good at what you do.But their is one0 some statistic here in the states that realy tells the stories.Faal accidents in the last 10 years.90 some percent have been non union operators.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Well that is certainly your god given rite.But I must say most of the members have a totally different approach.We know when it comes to the operation of heavy equipment we are second to none.And as I said before the training through their apprenticeship is a main differance.There are some good non union operators but as a whole the union operator through training and members help will usualy out perform any one on the job..That is not conceit it is pride...We work to be the very best and I feel as we are.

58 months ago

It's not about the man bettering himself. I believe any man can hold any cert or belong to any affiliation. That's your right, But to cross a trade agreement is wrong. The contractor knows this and the man should respect this. If you feel contrary to this, then I guess you wouldn't mind if the contractor let you go and hired someone else that has the same skills but will work for less $...Most countries do allow you to cross borders and work; 450.00 and a month and ahalf back ground check to verify 7250hrs seat time gets you into Canada. It's about a thousand for UK and they would prefer you to be an Expat. IUOE keeps track though the central pension. How does the IBEW or the non-union outfits keep track of your seat time? And I believe IUOE has continued training for it's members. What does the other trades give in crane operation or non-union companies give in further training? Oh... Thats right it's on you. Just because you know how to load the gun doesn't mean you won't shoot yourself in the foot.

58 months ago

A Crandall in Gainesville, Florida said: It's not about the man bettering himself. I believe any man can hold any cert or belong to any affiliation. That's your right, But to cross a trade agreement is wrong. The contractor knows this and the man should respect this. If you feel contrary to this, then I guess you wouldn't mind if the contractor let you go and hired someone else that has the same skills but will work for less $...Most countries do allow you to cross borders and work; 450.00 and a month and ahalf back ground check to verify 7250hrs seat time gets you into Canada. It's about a thousand for UK and they would prefer you to be an Expat. IUOE keeps track though the central pension. How does the IBEW or the non-union outfits keep track of your seat time? And I believe IUOE has continued training for it's members. What does the other trades give in crane operation or non-union companies give in further training? Oh... Thats right it's on you. Just because you know how to load the gun doesn't mean you won't shoot yourself in the foot.

This is where the difference is between Canada and the US the government has set the standard for minimum training and outlined the responsibilities of the school and the employer to provide proper training, and all companies must abide by it. An aprentice can only be signed up or operate under the direction of a Certified Journeyman Whom can be held liable if the person under his supervision is not trained to the rules set forth. So as far as the craft goes Union or non-union there is a mind set of responsibility of what is taught. Much of what is the standard is made up BY JOURNEYMAN operators well respected in the field from across the nation not just a select group or region. Exams are kept under lock and key by the aprenticeship boards in eack privince and are administered to students who have completed each phase of their technical training after completion of seat time and years in the trade.

58 months ago

craneman100 in East Liverpool, Ohio said: It is a wrong for a member of the IBEW to take a job not in his field, and they know it. All trades in the union marketplace here in the U.S. have a rule that we will not infringe on hte others trade.As well as it should be.We are specialized crafts.Each of our jobs requires specific knowledge and skills.Very few people can master more than 1 trade let alone some who wan't it all.My brothers both work as non union carpenters. I have the utmost respect for them because they are supporting their families.But as a union operator I fell as though every job I go on I must represent myself, and my union as being the very best.I have worked a few jobs where their have been both union and non union.I am not impartial on this matter but talking to management they were happy with the quality of work from the union operators.They were also happy with two non union operators but we recruited 1 of them.I feel this has alot to do with the apprenticeship program.Although 4 years does not make an operator, It does help yu along the way.Also our willingness to help the less experianced members along the way.Knowledge is a wonderful thing.And experiance is the best teacher.I believe with your credentials you are good at what you do.But their is one0 some statistic here in the states that realy tells the stories.Faal accidents in the last 10 years.90 some percent have been non union operators.

How would you know if that man is not qualified? Here in Alberta there are many tradesmen who hold multiple trade tickets and are proficient in each of their respective trades. Some of who I know personally Powerlinemen who have gone to the Mobile Crane trade and are now desired by employers because of it. And as you and others have put it in the pissing match of the sand box that they can't be qualified because their not part of our union, is very short sited. You speak of brotherhood well my brother is an operator union or not.

58 months ago

craneman100 in East Liverpool, Ohio said: Well that is certainly your god given rite.But I must say most of the members have a totally different approach.We know when it comes to the operation of heavy equipment we are second to none.And as I said before the training through their apprenticeship is a main differance.There are some good non union operators but as a whole the union operator through training and members help will usualy out perform any one on the job..That is not conceit it is pride...We work to be the very best and I feel as we are.

The standard must be taken away from a specific group and made the standard in all areas or unions. Hopefully The NCCCO will not bow to any one group and force the standard onto all "Employers" who operate Cranes and make them liable to train people properly. Pride is also one of the reasons for many incidents it is normaly coupled with arrogance. That said I do believe that there are many operators in the IUOE who do want to set the bar for training standards and they should not give up ever. And I wonder how many incidents are kept quiet by the union so as to not tarnish their image???

58 months ago

I agree that sometimes pride can be coupled with arrogance, but that is the reponsibility of each individual to keep them seperated.Pride in your work is very important.If pride is not taken in your work than one can not be much of a human being.In fact pride in your work is one of the most important things you can have.After of course pride in your self,nd pride in your family.

58 months ago

The accident records are not reported by the union it is reported by OSHA and the media, and if you know anything about the media in the U.S. than you know they enjoy slamming everyone equaly. There is no bias in american media.They just wan,t to sell papers.

58 months ago

I guess that is what he is saying.forget everyone else as long as i got mine.that is what will kill a society.We have a responsibility to mankind to follow cetain rules.The problem today is those rules are not being followed by all.That is not only related to the union but society in generel.

58 months ago

craneman100 in East Liverpool, Ohio said: I guess that is what he is saying.forget everyone else as long as i got mine.that is what will kill a society.We have a responsibility to mankind to follow cetain rules.The problem today is those rules are not being followed by all.That is not only related to the union but society in generel.

What kills a society is arrogance. Most of the greatest men and women in history were very humble poeple, they they were selfless and many of them were multi talented. One thing that set them apart is they continued to expand their limits by increasing their knowledge. So to fault another in doing so hurts the society as a whole. Study Ralph Waldo Emmerson And Napoleon Hill. one of my favorites is grow rich with peace of mind.

58 months ago

craneman100 in East Liverpool, Ohio said: The accident records are not reported by the union it is reported by OSHA and the media, and if you know anything about the media in the U.S. than you know they enjoy slamming everyone equaly. There is no bias in american media.They just wan,t to sell papers.

Point taken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Why not band all operators together and get a G-8 Certification? The rules would be, take the highest standards of each country and make it the rule of knowledge for operator certification. This should weed the men from the boys.

cetim in Willmar, Minnesota

53 months ago

Ron Walton in Edmonton, Alberta said: No matter the local or union certification is required to operate. And an employer should not be required to be part of multiple unions.

Just what we need in the US, another individual without a clue. The IBEW always did have a problem understanding trade boundaries.

philips in Vancouver, British Columbia

51 months ago

I am looking mobile crane operator job, Now I am in vancouver-canada.I have more than four years experience in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Mauritius

48 months ago

Good morning i am actually in Mauritius and i am looking for a job as mobile crane in Canada. I have one year experience in this field.

Ron Walton in Kihei, Hawaii

48 months ago

Talked to a woman in local 3 if you are VERY experienced in conventional you have a shot in maui. Good luck the dues are near double what alberta is at the 955. If anyone wants to work in Canada You will have to find an employer willing to bring you up. Also you MUST be able to pass The Red Seal exam and practical, YOUR NCCCO TICKET MEANS NOTHING TO A CANADIAN EMPLOYER, as a minimum. Google The AIT Board in Alberta and follow the links. If you are a dual citizen your one step ahead of the rest.

Ron Walton in Kihei, Hawaii

48 months ago

cetim in Willmar, Minnesota said: Just what we need in the US, another individual without a clue. The IBEW always did have a problem understanding trade boundaries.

DUDE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHO I AM OR WHERE I HAVE BEEN. I do have more then a clue with many a Journeyman who will vouch for me and my credentials. I worked in the IBEW 424 local in edmonton for as well as a lineman. What you don't have a clue on is what it is to work in winter conditions that hold between -30 and -40 for 3 months of the year in an isolated area where you and the crew you are with are the only hope of getting the job done because you are the only men out there. I've been from crows nest pass to Inuvik in my field And believe that current certification is not high enough for many of the trades because of people who want it watered down so they can pass the exams and have no business being in the field.

Union boilermaker in Phoenix, Arizona

33 months ago

So is that guam job non union then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jen in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

These <a href="usedoverheadcranesforsale.com/Used-Bridge-Cranes-for-Sale.html"> overhead cranes </a> are for a great deal , you wont loose any money renting or buying one of these.

BMC in Cambridge, Ontario

24 months ago

Hey Ron - I was just surfing around and found this chat. I'm a member of IOUE 793 in Ontario but have been managing a crane rental branch for the last 5 years with a diverse fleet ranging from 9 ton Brodersons to CC2800 crawlers and everything in between. It is my dream to work and live in Hawaii. I was hoping you may have some advice for me? I am willing to operate or play a management role.
Hopefully you're still around!

Cheers!

B

24 months ago

You will need NCCO cert and OECP contact the local 150 in Chigago for details on the OECP and where to get it. If you can't get dual citizenship good luck.
Little to no crane work in Hawaii Am back in Canada (Alberta)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.