How much should I ask for?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

CCO_Crane_Op in Grinnell, Iowa

60 months ago

I am looking at starting a job here in Iowa. I will be a full tie employee, operating a variety of cranes including manitowoc 777/888/999/14000, large (50-100 ton) hydros, and hammerhead towers. i only ave 7 years exp, but i have very good/stable work history and refrences. any one have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

outlaw in muskogee, Oklahoma

60 months ago

i cant remember what outfit it was (i think wanzek)but they was needn oper. for a wind tower proj.n your part of the cntry ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kane in Minneapolis, Minnesota

60 months ago

look at www.salary.com to find your salary

richard_anderson23@hotmail.com in Santa Ana, California

60 months ago

CCO_Crane_Op in Grinnell, Iowa said: I am looking at starting a job here in Iowa. I will be a full tie employee, operating a variety of cranes including manitowoc 777/888/999/14000, large (50-100 ton) hydros, and hammerhead towers. i only ave 7 years exp, but i have very good/stable work history and refrences. any one have any suggestions?

with Skills You should Ask for 28.00to 35.00 an Hour

wyraider

59 months ago

CCO_Crane_Op in Grinnell, Iowa said: I am looking at starting a job here in Iowa. I will be a full tie employee, operating a variety of cranes including manitowoc 777/888/999/14000, large (50-100 ton) hydros, and hammerhead towers. i only ave 7 years exp, but i have very good/stable work history and refrences. any one have any suggestions?

I talked to a hand out of northern IA some where, anyway he will be looking shortly. It's the outfit thats doing the bridge in Boone. Don't know if that helps but a little searching should turn up something or call the county shop and ask who's doing the work.

kenny kiff {kyfho} in Lafayette, Louisiana

54 months ago

cco_crane_op, just go show them what you got!!!!! take it easy be safe,and try your best not to hurt anybody. i wouldn't go no less than 30 an hour myself. like i said just show them what you got,and learn everything you can while your doing it. it sounds like a sweet deal if you can get the $$$ going your way,and rember there isn't alot of work out there so if you got family you got to think about them too...... hope that helps ya out??????? be safe

cetim49 in Willmar, Minnesota

54 months ago

kenny kiff {kyfho} in Lafayette, Louisiana said: cco_crane_op, just go show them what you got!!!!! take it easy be safe,and try your best not to hurt anybody. i wouldn't go no less than 30 an hour myself. like i said just show them what you got,and learn everything you can while your doing it. it sounds like a sweet deal if you can get the $$$ going your way,and rember there isn't alot of work out there so if you got family you got to think about them too...... hope that helps ya out??????? be safe

Hey Kenny,

I probably should not start, but.... the american public would love to have you as their next health care cheif executive officer. You could start a new trend and establish just how far down into the bottom of the barrel a skilled, experienced operator is willing to work for in terms of financial compensation. Even as a first day on the job, brand new apprentice $30.00 an hour is not going to leave you with a poverty level income in the construction game. Don't mean to hurt yur feelings buddy, but you need to think in terms of your real value as an experienced operator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

cetim49, you got to have feeling to get them hurt. you must be in the union???? and the cost of living must be high as hel where you live. i do pretty dam good where i'm at. got 23 years in the seat, plus pushing cons. crews. been doing it all my life doing fine where i'm at, how about you???? plus that the guy is just starting out, you want him to be making what you do???? that don't say to much about you!!!!! how many hours do you get to work,when your working???? we make 100+ down here, easy hours at that. don't have to go to for from the house,free food,bed,net,whatever you want,how can you go wrong with that??? anyway so you think the man should make as much as you, or start off and work his way up the ladder like MOST of us had to do???? i know i didn't have a golden spoon in my mouth i had to put it there if you know what i mean, anyway i'm just saying that he should sell his self not let the union sell him............ plus if he got a family kids what is he going to do let them go hunrey because he don't want take a job for less than $30 an hour, WDF????? would you??????????????? maybe what you think? be safe

CCO_ crane_operator in Pella, Iowa

54 months ago

Wow, I am so excited to see so many posts after 6 months after asking. LOL. Turns out, I negotiated the company to pay 25 an hour. I dont think thats bad at all for a non-union company.

54 months ago

cco_crane_operator, good for you man!!!!!!!!! and didn't have to go to THE GREAT UNION. they got alot of ppl that think it's the beat thing in the world,myself i don't want anything to do with it,not saying i wouldn't if i had to feed my family.i don't see why ppl should pay dues and not even have any work, just can't that. anyway good for you!!!!!!!!! good luck,and be safe

54 months ago

cco_crane_operator, good for you man!!!!!!!!! and didn't have to go to THE GREAT UNION. they got alot of ppl that think it's the best thing in the world,myself i don't want anything to do with it,not saying i wouldn't if i had to feed my family.i don't see why ppl should pay dues and not even have any work, just can't see that happening. anyway good for you!!!!!!!!! good luck,and be safe

SLOPPYMOTOR in Northridge, California

52 months ago

kenny kiff {kyfho} in Lafayette, Louisiana said: cetim49, you got to have feeling to get them hurt. you must be in the union???? and the cost of living must be high as hel where you live. i do pretty dam good where i'm at. got 23 years in the seat, plus pushing cons. crews. been doing it all my life doing fine where i'm at, how about you???? plus that the guy is just starting out, you want him to be making what you do???? that don't say to much about you!!!!! how many hours do you get to work,when your working???? we make 100+ down here, easy hours at that. don't have to go to for from the house,free food,bed,net,whatever you want,how can you go wrong with that??? anyway so you think the man should make as much as you, or start off and work his way up the ladder like MOST of us had to do???? i know i didn't have a golden spoon in my mouth i had to put it there if you know what i mean, anyway i'm just saying that he should sell his self not let the union sell him............ plus if he got a family kids what is he going to do let them go hunrey because he don't want take a job for less than $30 an hour, WDF????? would you??????????????? maybe what you think? be safe

IM IN THE UNION OUT OF LOCAL 150 THEY PAY A LITTLE OVER 28.00 AN HR...AND IM CCO CERT WITH EXP. ..AND IVE BEEN LAYED OFF SINCE JAN. 29TH....CANT FIND A CRANE JOB ANYWHERE IN IOWA OR IL. I HAD TO COME TO CALIFORNIA AND TAKE A CRAP JOB JUST TO FEED MY KIDS....LAST YEAR I MADE 73K...THIS YEAR JACK SQUAT...

cetim in Saint Cloud, Minnesota

51 months ago

Hey Mr. Simon,

As anyone knows, with any long term experience in the construction industry, there are different pay rates in different areas of the US, established by a concept called prevailing wage and other market influences. Prevailing wage is an average of wages paid in a local area. These averages are continually under adjustment in the bidding process because people, such as yourself, are willing to reap the benefits of an active union member while not contributing toward the benefits of belonging to a union. As long as your lack of understanding exhists, and you are willing to continue take advantage of the many union benefits available to the working person, the race to the bottom, in terms of fair compensation, benefits, etc. will continue. Open shop contractors love your attitude. Our brother operators and their family go without fair compensation, and the contractors go to the bank. UNITED WE BARGAIN, DIVIDED WE BEG.

MrSimon in Iowa

51 months ago

saint cloud - I have NO lack of understanding unions. I can pay my own health insurance and save for my future retirement all by myself. Why would I give that money - you call them benefits- to some stranger that has no concern for me and then pay his wage too ???

I get the same money on my check as a union dope does with his
"benefits" included. So actually I take more home to the bank than a union monkey.

I work for prevailing wage plus expenses on open shop projects all over the country and don't have the shame of belonging to a union.

NON UNION ----AND PROUD OF IT !!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Whipline in Florida

51 months ago

MrSimon in Iowa said: saint cloud - I have NO lack of understanding unions. I can pay my own health insurance and save for my future retirement all by myself. Why would I give that money - you call them benefits- to some stranger that has no concern for me and then pay his wage too ???

"benefits" included. So actually I take more home to the bank than a union monkey.

I work for prevailing wage plus expenses on open shop projects all over the country and don't have the shame of belonging to a union.

think what you want pal, but you are misinformed. I make good money on my check, and i'm not including my pension, i said check. i get per diem for food, and pay for hotel room on the company card. my insurance, which covers my entire family, is 100% paid by the company, and on just a 40 hour week, 200.00 and some change is put into my retirement fund, which is also company paid. last year was my slowest year in recent memory, and still cleared mid 70's, ON THE CHECK, no insurance or retirement included into that figure. and took a month off to boot.

i also see that your are Certified RT operator, RT ops dont usually make top dollar anyhow. they are more towards the bottom of the scale.

now, i know you gonna respond with calling me a liar, or another name, like monkey, or a dope, or a "p__k" as you already have without even knowing who i am, or w/e you can sit there and think of, but i'll make it easier for ya, send me an email address, and ill send you a copy of my actual w-2!!!

as far as staying off any jobs goes, well, all i can say to that is, if the company your working for rents my crane for your job, see ya bright and early sunshine! no need for coffee though, i never touch the stuff.

have a good day

MrSimon in Iowa

51 months ago

Drunk as well ??? as well as what ? I might be hard pressed but I know what I have made. What does the midwest have to do with what I make ? More of issue who will determine wage. My lowest paying job was for a union company at a ethanol plant.

FAR better off taking the money the company puts toward my insurance and paying my own. I can have health insurance for $200 month.
Some companies FORCE me to have their health insurance and others will let me pay my own and give me the money they would have spent on insurance.
This health insurance issue is whole different issue that will not be resolved until health insurance companies are HEAVILY regulated or abolished.

For being so worried about being called a liar and names - you are very able to do it yourself. Maybe you should try something to see the real world reverse that union brainwashing.
I'm through with you.

NON-union AND PROUD OF IT.

cetim49 in Annandale, Minnesota

51 months ago

MrSimon in Iowa said: saint cloud - I have NO lack of understanding unions. I can pay my own health insurance and save for my future retirement all by myself. Why would I give that money - you call them benefits- to some stranger that has no concern for me and then pay his wage too ???

Mr. Simon,

I assume your are some open shop owner spreading this attitude on the internet for your benefit and not a working operator. However, for the sake of clarity in this discussion, you obviously do not understand WHY you are being paid prevailing wage. It is DIRECTLY BECAUSE the union bargaining element is able to negotiate a wage as a bargaining group. By working open shop, and bragging about the money you make doing so, which I question by the way, you reap the benefits of the union weather you belong, or do not belong. In short, my friend, you are dead weight in the fight for fair compensation and leading the pack in the race to poverty. You contribute nothing toward the cause of fair wages and benefits in exchange for a fair days work by skilled, experienced and PROFESSIONAL operators. Corporate America loves to hire someone like you. Your probably just smart enough to find your way to the job site and turn the key on the rig. You are definitly not in the catagory of professional crane operator.

bill46 in Muskogee, Oklahoma

50 months ago

We need both union and non so the wages will stay at an average.LOL

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.