Are unions really evil?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

bluwenis

68 months ago

Are unions really evil?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The median weekly earnings for construction workers in the U.S. last year was $1,000 for union members and just $624 for non-union workers, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

It especially pays if you're a UNION Operating Engineer! Members of the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 302 are earning $42.14 to $47.09 an hour right now in Washington state, and $41.08 to $48.20 an hour in Alaska. Plus, they’re getting:

Time-and-a-half after 8 hours and on Saturdays
Best pension in the business
Family health, dental and vision
Regular wage and benefit increases

You’re doing the work. Make sure you get paid!

Heavy construction equipment operators just like you are making more money, getting better benefits, and earning their retirement security. All because they have a union contract!

You owe it to yourself -- and to your family -- to make sure you are getting the wages, benefits and respect you deserve. Forget about whatever you’ve heard or been told about why you shouldn’t join a union. Decide for yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bigjakesrq in sarasota, Florida

68 months ago

I don't know that there evil, but when then put pressure on company's to pay employees more then they're worth, well that's just not right. example Look how many people work for GM for 60,000+ a year. I know from a fact that most of these employees are being over paid.

In the case of us crane operators I don't know that we're worth more then 35-40 dollars an hour. I'm being truthful here. Not that I wouldn't love to make more then that, but I can't say that we deserve more then that. Just my take on it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bubba in Orlando, Florida

68 months ago

bigjakesrq in sarasota, Florida said: I don't know that there evil, but when then put pressure on company's to pay employees more then they're worth, well that's just not right. example Look how many people work for GM for 60,000+ a year. I know from a fact that most of these employees are being over paid.

In the case of us crane operators I don't know that we're worth more then 35-40 dollars an hour. I'm being truthful here. Not that I wouldn't love to make more then that, but I can't say that we deserve more then that. Just my take on it

you're not worth more than that? every time you get up on a load, people's lives are in your hands. every time joe schmoe rigs that load, if it comes loose, its YOUR fault, not his.

im not saying you should make 60-70k a year putting ash trays(do they still have those) in cars, but as for me, and the type of work i do, the responsibility i have,i feel that i am worth, and earn every cent i make.

im not blasting you by any means, please dont take it that way. im just saying that your cutting your self short

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I think for what I do as a crane operator 35$ an hour is plenty of compensation. I believe there are exceptions to the rule. Like a special skill for a certain job. I jst don't think that there should be guys out there pulling 55-60 dollars an hour. I know that I'm going to be the minority on this one guy. I mean who doesn't want more money it's human nature to better yourself. The point I'm trying to get across is there are people just as qualified as the people making 50+ dollars an hour that only make 30-40 dollars an hour. I just think for a certain skill set that we have doesn't justify 50+ dollars an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Operator bill in west linn, Oregon

68 months ago

bluwenis said: Are unions really evil?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The median weekly earnings for construction workers in the U.S. last year was $1,000 for union members and just $624 for non-union workers, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

It especially pays if you're a UNION Operating Engineer! Members of the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 302 are earning $42.14 to $47.09 an hour right now in Washington state, and $41.08 to $48.20 an hour in Alaska. Plus, they’re getting:

Time-and-a-half after 8 hours and on Saturdays
Best pension in the business
Family health, dental and vision
Regular wage and benefit increases

You’re doing the work. Make sure you get paid!

Heavy construction equipment operators just like you are making more money, getting better benefits, and earning their retirement security. All because they have a union contract!

You owe it to yourself -- and to your family -- to make sure you are getting the wages, benefits and respect you deserve. Forget about whatever you’ve heard or been told about why you shouldn’t join a union. Decide for yourself!

That's right,, and we make that wage because we are highly trained within the union with our own training facilities to keep our operators on the cutting edge.

We have a professional attitude and among the highest in safety awareness and proactivity around.

Safety is Paramount!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pontoon builder in Riverside, California

68 months ago

bigjakesrq in sarasota, Florida said: I don't know that there evil, but when then put pressure on company's to pay employees more then they're worth, well that's just not right. example Look how many people work for GM for 60,000+ a year. I know from a fact that most of these employees are being over paid.

you don't know what your talking about obviously, operators, exspecially crane operators are worth every penny they make.
Responsibilty is overwhelming for crane operators, rigging,
power lines, lifting men in man baskets, and the list goes on
and on. if someone gets hurts, if something mechanically goes wrong, if the crane collapses, whatever, its all on the operator.
you need to check yourself before you start talking about other peoples jobs and what their worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

craig in Oak Harbor, Washington

68 months ago

pontoon builder in Riverside, California said: you don't know what your talking about obviously, operators, exspecially crane operators are worth every penny they make.
and on. if someone gets hurts, if something mechanically goes wrong, if the crane collapses, whatever, its all on the operator.
you need to check yourself before you start talking about other peoples jobs and what their worth.

I get what you're saying, but seriously, does not killing someone deserve more pay? I could understand if there was a sliding pay scale where someone who hasn't killed anyone gets more pay than someone who killed like a dozen people. Or maybe give them more reasonable wage while they're employed and a bonus for not having killed anyone when they leave?

I just feel that pay should be commensurate with skill. I'm not saying that crane operators aren't worth what they make, maybe they are. But I just don't see that someone should get paid more because they haven't killed anyone yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

opbill55 in Oregon City, Oregon

68 months ago

Is this guy on crack?

If a crane operator did kill someone,, chances are he would not work again.....they would lose their certification, possible lawsuits and the knowledge and pain knowing that their screw-up cost someone their life..... even if someone were not killed ,,say, the crane tipped over and didn't hurt anything but the crane itself.........that operator would probably not work for awhile, because osha would have to conduct an extensive investigation........To determine whether the "accident" was due to operator error, or circumstances beyond their control.

which typically, there is no such thing because a crane operator is responsible for everything from every bolt and every thread of cable, to whether the wind is blowing too hard to safely make the lift........

I'd like to see him figure out mathematical computations for critical lifts. plus, you are "responsible" for everyone involved or around you. There is incredible stress involved.

It is not a matter of simply "pulling levers". Not everyone can do it. I have a lot of experience at a variety of construction projects and have operated a lot of equipment. it's what i do.... However, I attended a two week "introduction" crane course through the operating engineer's out of local 302.

Yes, it was neat and fun to "try" to operate them,, and I'm talking about the "big boys". we were in an evironment where no one could get hurt and there were no heavy lifts.

It was very unsettling to think that if I was operating around a building, the public or anywhere where someone could get hurt or destroy property or equipment because of "one wrong move",,,man, talk about stressful.
This is one job that you could not pay me enough to deal with.
the repercussions are severe...........
everyone on that job including the employer looks to and "RELIES ON" that crane operators judgement to keep them safe.

why do people at starbucks only make 8 bucks an hour....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

You fail to see my point. I'm only saying that the fact that you haven't killed anyone doesn't justify a large pay. An irresponsible worker at mcdonalds could kill someone. A tired bus driver carrying dozens of people on an interstate could potentially kill a hundred people. An innattentive TSA security agent at the airport could be responsible for the death of thousands. I've just always found it irritating when people think that they deserve a higher pay because no one has died.

To me, it seems like experience is what makes a good crane operator. It doesn't appear to be a job with high turnover or where the training class would have a high drop out rate Maybe it is harder than it sounds, but seriously, compared to what it takes to become a doctor, should they get the same pay?

68 months ago

pontoon builder in Riverside, California said: you don't know what your talking about obviously, operators, exspecially crane operators are worth every penny they make.

Look man this is an open forum and last time I checked I still had my first amendment rights. I just gave my opinion like you were able to give yours. As for me needing to "check myself" #*$&%@ you man. I'm out there everyday just like the rest of us are. Who are you to tell me that I'm wrong? I'm not saying that I'm right either, I was merely expressing my opinion. I've been around cranes my whole life(4th generation operator) and I know the risks involved. Not to mention I've never even come close to having an accident. Oh and by the way you misspelled especially and responsibility, but I won't judge because I know some damn fine operators that probably spell worse then you. I was just point out to everyone how smart you actually are. Next time think about about what your saying to some one before you open your mouth. You don't know me and you certainly don't know what experience I have. Thanks for your opinion, maybe if you weren't trying to belittle me I would have actually valued it.

opbill55 in Oregon City, Oregon

68 months ago

If you have a difficult time understanding it, there is no sense in explaining more.

you have just demonstrated that it takes special knowledge and abilities to do what we do.....

which is why folks like you, don't become crane operators..... you have to be sharp!

what do you do, and how much do you make? just curious... thanks

QUOTE who="craig in Oak Harbor, Washington"]You fail to see my point. I'm only saying that the fact that you haven't killed anyone doesn't justify a large pay. An irresponsible worker at mcdonalds could kill someone. A tired bus driver carrying dozens of people on an interstate could potentially kill a hundred people. An innattentive TSA security agent at the airport could be responsible for the death of thousands. I've just always found it irritating when people think that they deserve a higher pay because no one has died.

To me, it seems like experience is what makes a good crane operator. It doesn't appear to be a job with high turnover or where the training class would have a high drop out rate Maybe it is harder than it sounds, but seriously, compared to what it takes to become a doctor, should they get the same pay?

68 months ago

Not that it matters, but I'm a QC inspector overseeing planned maintenance on US Navy EA-6B Prowlers and I make about 40% of what an experienced crane operator makes. My contract is up in a few months and I've grown bored with aviation. Cranes sound like fun, but way too much responsibility for me to handle.

68 months ago

First of all,your not a crane operator and don't fool yourself with thinking you are.

second, this is not english class idoit i don't care if i miss spell words, maybe thats what you should be doing, correcting errors in high school,#%#@#@! geek. And your analogies make no sense, comparing to a mcdonalds worker or a bus driver. Thats how i know you've never been in the seat, you've never felt the stress.
You've never been boomed out 200+ ft., you've never walked a load along a cliffside swaying side to side, you've never done tilt ups, never done 2 line picks. But your right, our stress level is no way close to a doctor, so we should get only pennies.

I can tell your not an Operator, because no real operator will
fuss about making too much money, only those who are bitter and have not got their foot in the door. obviously your problem is both, you can not operate and no one will give you the time of day. Any operator will tell that its not enough money to compensate for the risk, responsibilites, or stress we got through everyday.

Dont worry though, if you come to california i will take time out of my busy money making day and teach a sour bitter newbie.

Do us Operators a favor and don't get in a crane.
Put your pocket protector in and go to school and become the prick inspectors we all love to see on the site. Believe me, you got the bitchin down already, you just need to act like you know how to operate a crane and your set. Oh wait, you already do that!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Oh and by the way BIG FAKe,

you were trying to show everyone how smart i was, check this out

Einstein, I was just point out to everyone how smart you actually are.

Thats from you.

I'd rather mispell words than forget to add letters. Let me correct it for you.

I was just pointing out to everyone how smart you actually are.
(pointing)

hey i'm no scholar, and don't give a damn because i make a damn good living operating cranes.

blazin1 in Pennsylvania

68 months ago

pontoon builder in Riverside, California said: First of all,your not a crane operator and don't fool yourself with thinking you are.

second, this is not english class idoit i don't care if i miss spell words, maybe thats what you should be doing, correcting errors in high school,#%#@#@! geek. And your analogies make no sense, comparing to a mcdonalds worker or a bus driver. Thats how i know you've never been in the seat, you've never felt the stress.
You've never been boomed out 200+ ft., you've never walked a load along a cliffside swaying side to side, you've never done tilt ups, never done 2 line picks. But your right, our stress level is no way close to a doctor, so we should get only pennies.

I can tell your not an Operator, because no real operator will
fuss about making too much money, only those who are bitter and have not got their foot in the door. obviously your problem is both, you can not operate and no one will give you the time of day. Any operator will tell that its not enough money to compensate for the risk, responsibilites, or stress we got through everyday.

Dont worry though, if you come to california i will take time out of my busy money making day and teach a sour bitter newbie.

Do us Operators a favor and don't get in a crane.
Put your pocket protector in and go to school and become the prick inspectors we all love to see on the site. Believe me, you got the bitchin down already, you just need to act like you know how to operate a crane and your set. Oh wait, you already do that!!!

I totally agree with you. I do not see how any operator can say they are not worth the money.

68 months ago

pontoon builder in Riverside, California said: Any operator will tell that its not enough money to compensate for the risk, responsibilites, or stress we got through everyday.

My argument is that the ability to handle risk, responsibility and stress is not all that uncommon. There's at least millions of people who have been in more stressful and riskier jobs. There's got to be some skill to being a crane operator, but I don't see it as something that the average intelligent person could learn.

As for my current employment, the education/experience requirement is so rare that there's only about 200 of qualified worldwide. Unfortunately, there's less than 30 total positions which is why we have been so underpaid for the past decade or so.

But going back to the OP's question about whether or not union employees are paid too much. I definitely say so. Regardless of whether or not you think you're getting paid what you're worth, the real question is whether or not you would do it if you were getting $30 an hour. Or let's say the prevailing wage was only $30 an hour, would the number of available jobs exceed the number of people willing and able to do it? I would say it's safe to assume that even at $30 an hour, there would be more than enough qualified candidates who would be willing to do it.

68 months ago

oops, sorry, missed a word :)

There's got to be some skill to being a crane operator, but I don't see it as something that the average intelligent person could not learn.

loadlifter in Oswego, Illinois

68 months ago

As long as that person has nerves of steel and good eye hand coordination and good depth perception then I see no reason that your average Harvard MBA couldn't lift the reactor out of a los angeles nuclear submarine EYE HAND,DEPTH PERCEPTION with a pinch of common sense and training.

68 months ago

Very true. Considering a person of average intelligence should be able to do the job, a Harvard MBA should have no problem. :p

I served about the USS Holland (AS-32) and USS Frank Cable (AS-40) both sub tenders servicing attack subs and boomers. As an IMA, we never had the need to pull a reactor out but we did load and unload torps and PET tanks. As I recall, all the crane operators were all e4/5 boatswain mates.

68 months ago

The difference here is,

I never said that a person or position was making too much for
their career, if you recall, you did. Maybe you should go holler about how much a IMA doesn't make and cry there.

your such an idoit.

its not my fault that a IMA doesn't get paid well, they should but
your so bitter its pathetic.

you should go back to being an IMA and gripe about how much crane ops make.

I'm done with you swamper.

stop flapping your gums and start operating, LOSER!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

soapboxer in National City, California

68 months ago

does anyone have any advice on how to join the ua im trying to get into the pipefitters-plumbers union and have had a hard time doing that for a couple years?do you just basicly have to know somebody and do they help with employment or should I continue working for non union companies until there is an opening at a union company?

The General

68 months ago

Don't let those union dicks fool you.... they add all of the benifits up, along with thier wages and claim they are making more than what in the check.....

OBTW if you union cry babys get so much training then why do you have so many accidents.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

soapboxer in National City, California

68 months ago

The General said: Don't let those union dicks fool you.... they add all of the benifits up, along with thier wages and claim they are making more than what in the check.....

OBTW if you union cry babys get so much training then why do you have so many accidents.....

Sooooo, what your tellin me is that the union dosnt take care of its workers? and they are paid the same after benefits? then whats with the animosity against the labor temp agencies underpaying and charging for safety equipment and the accidents they have as well?

operator bill in Oregon City, Oregon

68 months ago

The General said: Don't let those union dicks fool you.... they add all of the benifits up, along with thier wages and claim they are making more than what in the check.....

my paycheck is 27.67 per hour, the benefits are on top of that making the total like 42.00hr. i like the idea of getting a retirement benefit of about 500 a month after only 5 years of service,,, then, i can continue and build the retirement or i can quit and do something else for a living.you never lose it.. also, all insurance is paid for ... you only pay 10-20% for most services ,, no co pays.....and the security in knowing that your employer would not dare screw you around about anything......
I was in a position where i had to go work non-union...... will never do it again.... i couldn't believe all the bull that they will pull on employees. anyway,, dude,, it sounds like you've been getting screwed over for a long time. you sound stressed.....come on over to the other side and see for yourself how much better it is.....

as for you soapboxer.... glad to see you lookin'. i'm from Carlsbad myself........yes, it is possible to get in the "back door". find a company that is willing to hire you, and they will make it work and get you into the window... other than that, it sounds like you know about apprenticeship programs offered be the unions.. also, if you typically have more than 3 years of experience or are highly specialized they will accept you on their "c" list.... which is the last in line basically,, but once you are dispatched ,,,if you are laid off, you get on the "a" list.. top list. less competition. and, you don't get hassled by the unemployment office, and you pretty much always get "max" benefits.........there are a lot of "pro's" if you ask me..................good luck all

Minnesota in Hopkins, Minnesota

68 months ago

As a union operator and having worked on the non-union side I can say for me that there isn't even a comparison. With the health benefits and pension plan the union wage is by far better. There are no secret handshakes or shakedowns. Just honest people trying to earn their keep. Alot of people say that we are overpayed. If that is true then why do we struggle to get qualified crane operators. If our compensation was so much wouldn't everyone be getting into our business. I think part of the problem is that we perceive a construction job as one being very labor intensive and if you are not wielding a shovel or swinging a sledgehammer then you are not earning your keep. Times have changed alot and the equipment that we operate are multi million dollar machines that are required to lift massives amounts of weight and be landed in very tight areas with human lives hanging in the balance. These are responsibilities that far outweigh some CEO responsibilities. If they fail their worst fear is bankruptcy. Not Death.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Minnesota in Hopkins, Minnesota

68 months ago

I am pretty sure that the big shots on Wall Street are not sitting around saying to each other, " you know boys, we are way overpaid...let's all take a paycut and we will all feel much better about ourselves!" I think we can all agree that this statement is not being made on wall street. Why would anybody say that someone else is overpaid. If a person is being paid a sum of money, then the contractor must be making his/her fair share on top of that. This is a business and nobody is going to pay an operator so they can do a job at a loss. If they do they will not be in business long. As Americans we need to stand up for each other whether it is union or non-union and defend each others right to earn! The better off we are, the better off everyone around us is. A wise man once told me, " Pride can be a very expensive habit."

As for the benefits and wage: Let's say you make $30 an hour on the check, then the employer pays a few bucks an hour to each of the benifit funds, (health,pension). So your total package is 40-some dollars an hour. But if you bring home $30 an hour and work 1800 hours in a year that is 54,000 a year. Which sounds like a lot of money, but with housing, vehicles, and food how much is alot?

In an economy such as this, a pension fund far outperforms a 401k. Because for every hour that each union member works our pension fund grows stronger. For every hour that a 401K employee works they are forced to place their money with a managed account that may or may not grow stronger. Right now the average managed account is down 56% and in the 1930's depression it took the market 22 years to recover its losses.

This is America and we have the freedom to chose. Whether it is a union choice or a non-union choice go out and make as much money as you possibly can. We only get one shot at this world and we might as well make the best of it! Good luck to everyone!

joeschmoe in Adkins, Texas

68 months ago

so where is the union work? i've thought about joining the operating engineers union, and have been told by several locals that they are slow and have a couple hundred operators on the bench. so does the union keep you busy or keep you laid off? not trying to be negative towards the unions, i am actually curious where you can get work as a union operator these days.

minnesota in Hopkins, Minnesota

68 months ago

The Union work is there. Windmills are going strong and heavy industrial. Right now they do probably have a couple hundred on the bench but being certified and being a crane operator are two different things. Some unions are also changing the way the list works and letting people go solicit their own work. When I joined the union 11 years ago there was sort of a probationary period. Not officially but I could sense that the union hall was testing me. I just kept showing up every morning kept my mouth shut and did my job as effecient as possible and it has worked out well.

A good source of big jobs is something called the Most line. Boilermakers and Pipefitters send this national publication out listing all the major jobs in the U.S. and how many people they need. It is a great lead if you are willing to travel. Hope this helps!

joeschmoe in San Antonio, Texas

68 months ago

well i am certified, i am experienced. so i guess i will keep trying. thanks for the info

68 months ago

No problem. I wish you the best of luck. Like they say, " they will never open the door if you don't knock on it." A good thing also to know is that Union halls are never going to turn money down. Offer to pay the intiation fee and first years dues and it might grease the wheels. I know that there is a lot of turnaround work coming up in Seattle area. I believe that Sicklesteel crane handles the the turnarounds there hope it helps.

joeschmoe in San Antonio, Texas

68 months ago

well thats exactly the area i am wanting to go. thanks

68 months ago

No worries, Good luck!

Robertoe542 in Hellertown, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

I am a crane operator and all I can say is that even if we got $100.00 an hour it wouldn't be enouph. Just the responsibility alone is enouph to get paid that much. When your setting steel and you have 2 guys standing on a beam 6 inches wide waiting for you to put a beam in there hands without killing them. Yeah I think we deserve every penny we get. If you injure or god forbid kill someone who is ultimately responsible, we are.

bob in Wittenberg, Wisconsin

66 months ago

opbill55 in Oregon City, Oregon said: Is this guy on crack?

If a crane operator did kill someone,, chances are he would not work again.....they would lose their certification, possible lawsuits and the knowledge and pain knowing that their screw-up cost someone their life..... even if someone were not killed ,,say, the crane tipped over and didn't hurt anything but the crane itself.........that operator would probably not work for awhile, because osha would have to conduct an extensive investigation........To determine whether the "accident" was due to operator error, or circumstances beyond their control.

which typically, there is no such thing because a crane operator is responsible for everything from every bolt and every thread of cable, to whether the wind is blowing too hard to safely make the lift........

I'd like to see him figure out mathematical computations for critical lifts. plus, you are "responsible" for everyone involved or around you. There is incredible stress involved.

It is not a matter of simply "pulling levers". Not everyone can do it. I have a lot of experience at a variety of construction projects and have operated a lot of equipment. it's what i do.... However, I attended a two week "introduction" crane course through the operating engineer's out of local 302.

Yes, it was neat and fun to "try" to operate them,, and I'm talking about the "big boys". we were in an evironment where no one could get hurt and there were no heavy lifts.

It was very unsettling to think that if I was operating around a building, the public or anywhere where someone could get hurt or destroy property or equipment because of "one wrong move",,,man, talk about stressful.
they deserve pay and even if you are union if you are good they can choose to give you a raise, you need to be on top of it if you are a crane operator, power lines people, trucks, and not just that the risky lifting that goes on

maxrep in State College, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

I've been an operator since the seventies, union operator since the nineties. I went into the Navy Sea Bees to learn my trade and had Cranes and attachments training but I can't get anyone to give credit to my military crane training. I can operate most all heavy equipment including crane. Can anyone tell me the best way to get certified on crane without having to pay out of my own pocket to do so?

bob in Ogdensburg, Wisconsin

65 months ago

get hired by a union company and they have their own schools and they certify you there you just test out on the equipment. thats how its done here in Wi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

blazin1 in Pennsylvania

65 months ago

maxrep in State College, Pennsylvania said: I've been an operator since the seventies, union operator since the nineties. I went into the Navy Sea Bees to learn my trade and had Cranes and attachments training but I can't get anyone to give credit to my military crane training. I can operate most all heavy equipment including crane. Can anyone tell me the best way to get certified on crane without having to pay out of my own pocket to do so?

Well, if you are still a union operator then all you would have to do is go down to your Local's training center and get certified. Yeah, you will pay a few hundred to take the test etc. but it pays off in the long run.

Dillon in Sammamish, Washington

42 months ago

I am a third year apprentice making twenty five dollars an hour and thats not enough. Even when I journey out and make thirty five an hour it still wont be enough money for all the stress and decisions that could change someones life forever. Im twenty six years old and I run a ninety ton P&H with 190ft of stick. It can get pretty nerve racking at times knowing you could tip over and kill a bunch of little kids at the school you are building. I get paid because I am highly trained in the safe operation my the cranes I run. I know when to tell my boss to Eff off if he wants me to pick off my chart or do something not safe. Thats the difference between Union and Non Union. Thats why WE get paid more. Non Union scabs are too job scared to make the right decision when it comes down to it. Union members dont have to be job scared. We know our rights. We also know what is right and what is wrong and we know how to get the job done safely and efficiently the first time. That is why we get paid what we get paid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Tacoma, Washington

42 months ago

Dillon your a douche bag

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

mike in Tacoma, Washington said: Dillon your a douche bag

Damn it Beeler who showed you how to use a computer?

40 months ago

mike in Tacoma, Washington said: Dillon your a douche bag

Damn it Beeler who showed you how to use a computer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

41ws2 in Santa Fe, Texas

36 months ago

Ie been in the seat 34 years.when I started only Nasa and the government had computers.We learned to run with guts determination and pride...union or non union Im not a union man but do not down those that are as long as they dont try to down me.I do not take second seat from anyone and there are no superintendents or bosses I've worked with that would tell you not to hire me on the spot. As for doctors having what it takes tooperate large cranes it aint gonna happen.It takes more than tthey with their college boy attitudes to grasp. We are all underpaid for the ammount of responsability put into our hands.The CCO makes it worse....now insurance companys and construction companys are rarely held liable for accidents...all fingers point to the operator....Vicon Rules!!!

pitbreedr in Bismarck, North Dakota

17 months ago

Here's what I myself can tell you about crane operators, having been a proud member of local 49 for 13 years. Union or not, you need to be CERTIFIED to run these machines. You wouldn't go to your dentist to have him remove your appendix, would you? He probably knows the procedure! I know I wouldn't. The great thing about my union is that we have COLLECTIVE bargaining. In simple terms this means that we all get paid the same wage for running the same equipment. Before I was union I had to beg my employers for cost of living increases and insurance. Now I am part of something bigger that EVERY working member pays into...a self funded insurance plan. I get to vote on what is going to happen with my paychecks and health and welfare. I never got the opportunity to vote on anything other than pizza or burgers once a year for a company picnic before I went union. OSHA is adopting the NCCCO regulations and recognizing these qualifications as the standard by which to judge an operator's skillset. My union provides new members with the training facilities to PRACTICE these skills long before you're ever put into a real life situation where people's lives are at risk each and every time the load leaves the ground. They also put me through an APPRENTICESHIP program so that I could get on the job training working with seasoned operators with YEARS of experience so that I could not only see how its done, but also how to say "no" to a foreman/boss/superintendant when corners were attempted to be cut on the side of safety to increase production. I am proud to say that I have been in the seat for well over a decade without a single incident, injury, near miss, or accident...all thanks to my local union.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.