What do you enjoy most about your creative services director career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a creative services director? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Daryle Rico in Portland, Oregon

85 months ago

I enjoy the creative process. There are few things more rewarding that producing "something out of nothing." I also enjoy the challenge of juggling time, talent and budget.

On the dislike side, I sometimes find it frustrating to deal with last minute rush assignments. But at the same time, I know it just comes with the territory.

There are always opportunities to learn, and if you are not looking for them, you probably aren't doing your job. Technology continues to impact the role of the CSD every day. The advent and acceptance of new technology and media - such as the Internet, forces a CSD to have to look for new ways of doing things. A marketing strategy that was once addressed through traditional advertising or direct mail could one day be handled via the Web, so you have to have to be aware of new opportunities.

Market conditions will also force you to learn things quickly. I was once hit by an unexpected rise in postage and paper costs, so I had to figure out how to maintain the current marketing plan without going over budget. Fortunately, I had allied myself with some great vendors, so they were able to help me work through the challenge. But that's just another example of being forced to learn something new all the time.

I love what I do. I enjoy the creative process and being around people who are passionate about their work. That (and my mortgage) is what keeps me going to work each day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.