Employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 112)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Zoie Wallace in Akron, Ohio

69 months ago

youngandweary in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I totally agree with you Joe...their minds are made up. The psychology of HR is something I would definitely want to explore, I may pull some journal articles to review the literature on the topic since my password for the school library still works!

My issue is the reverse, I am told I am too qualified but I think it is just that the people don't like me before I even walk in the door.

I just applied for a job and got an email back that the position has magically be "cancelled" I am not even mad, I just laughed. I am sure that they are hiring who they want for the position and don't have the balls to send me a professional rejection letter. LOL. Whatever...

I dunno how I can put all the cruel things about jobs in the past and look to the future when the same things are happening in the present. I take responsibility for what I do and my mistakes but seems no one else around these parts will do the same thing. Florida is a tough state to get a job that matches the cost of living anyway.

I agree with you and Joe,

I went in for a interview and I had to HR managers to interview me when I told them that I was about to go for my masters all of a sudden they were like well we can see that education is important to you. The next day I got a unprofessional letter in the mail that had been whited out that said were sorry but we currently have filled all positions. Then I go on career builder and they are hiring galore! Well considering that I'm only 24 I don't have experience but they stress education and the way I look at it for what? It seems like now days you should not list your education to get a job. I applied to another position for a another company and the stupid lady told me that I had alot of errors on my resume. I opened my resume and their were no errors. What an idiot! then she goes on to say your over qualified. Fix your errors and you should find a company what an idiot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zoie Wallace in Akron, Ohio

69 months ago

I am so glad that Indeed.com these forums listed because I tell you what I am burned out with copy and pasting my freaking resume and getting all these stupid e-mails position has been filled, or your over qualifed and I think with what experience. It also seems like now the same jobs are hiring. I even tried to waitress and they were like well we might call you back ! They never did I'm thinking to WAITRESS!! are you serious. I have just given up and I am so tired of these stupid people e-mailing me about at home freakin jobs! What gives ... I can't even get a $8.00 an hour job I'm so over trying to find a freakin JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

youngandweary in West Palm Beach, Florida

69 months ago

Yeah I think there is a secret war between HR and applicants. Too bad the people who actually run the company are too preoccupied to know what is really going on. I don't remember if I mentioned it here or in another forum but I had one HR rep dock my salary, after agreed upon in an interview with someone else and harass me in the workplace for a solid three months. When the idiot realized that I was not intimidated, she left me alone and could no longer make eye contact with me. I thought that was funny. I tried to go in with a positive attitude about jobs in general and treat people with respect...that is how I was raised. However, that is hard when people have this idea that a degree means you are a jerk, no matter how hard you work for these people, how many late nights when everyone leaves at 4pm and you leave at 8pm, no matter what I have done and offered these companies, at best I am spat on at worse I am not even interviewed. I understand getting a degree or degrees to expand your way of thinking, enrich your mind, learn about others and improve yourself but if someone is getting a degree just for a job, I would say save your time and money. I knew it would not bring me anything good job wise, it was a personal decision to expand my learning ...if I only went to school for a job, I am sure I would be disappointed. I cannot even be disappointed because my expectations are so low of how HR departments are from watching this for 12 years, so I think I just shrug and go about my day trying to find some company that will not treat a person like dirt over having a degree, race, gender or age, as it has been in my experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Zoie Wallace in Akron, Ohio said: I am so glad that Indeed.com these forums listed because I tell you what I am burned out with copy and pasting my freaking resume and getting all these stupid e-mails position has been filled, or your over qualifed and I think with what experience. It also seems like now the same jobs are hiring. I even tried to waitress and they were like well we might call you back ! They never did I'm thinking to WAITRESS!! are you serious. I have just given up and I am so tired of these stupid people e-mailing me about at home freakin jobs! What gives ... I can't even get a $8.00 an hour job I'm so over trying to find a freakin JOB

I hate stupid at home crap. I'll be sure to give the bill collectors the at home companies' email address as a form of payment...I am sure that will work. *annoyed*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Williamsmith40258 in Louisville, Kentucky

68 months ago

Temporary agencies in this country need to be banned. There is enough work for everyone in a healthy and productive economy. Having people working for less than their true worth is sinful and tyrannical. Not to mention leading to the demise of our Social Security system, retirements, home purchasing, and basic standard of living. To have a city such as Louisville, KY or any other place hiring just temporary workers so they don't have to pay basic benefits and taxes is plain theft. It is raking in profits yet not paying wages that will support the future making of profits. Which is why the US economy is bound to crumble unless this state of affairs is rectified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

My take is that people should start working to go around the gatekeepers in HR. Find out who the key people are in the organization and find out some names. Its time to start going around the brain dead and incompetent ones that really don't impact your resume getting on the desk of the people you will be working for. Its been well known for years that all of the major job posting sites only contain a small amount of the actual jobs out there. So everyone is getting frustrated and ticked off applying for the same jobs.

I've got 10 years of auto manufacturing experience, 3 years of office management, 2 years of small business development, 1 year of accounting, a 4 year Business Management degree, sales experience, etc. I'm having a hell of a time finding work but I've decided that going around these often incompetent HR people is the right thing to do. That's your best hope in this economy because if you wait for people to do things, you will still be waiting.

The typical HR person is often ill mannered, incompetent, and generally downright clueless. I've worked for 5 companies in 16 years and seen a lot in those sixteen years. However, I held the same job for 10 years straight and was rehired 4 times by the same said company. I think that speaks for itself. But nowadays, its more PC to know someone or be related to someone that be professionally competent. It's really time for the American people to start demanding that jobs are given to those who are qualified and competent, not to those whose daddy got them the job and whose cousin works there or golfing buddies. Its time for real change and its time to start going around their corrupt and rotten system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Maybe we need to find ways to start to pool resources and start ways to start real and legitimate small businesses on a shoestring and start creating our own economy outside of their system. I think that is a novel idea and to start by supporting the small town and community oriented people that need your help. The people that are the backbone of your community, not some large corporate regime full of scoundrels, crooks, and incompetents. Support your mom and pop businesses and tell the Circuit Cities, Linens and Things, and all these different companies to pound sand. The less you buy from these organizations the more you can find a way to divert funds to legitimate and non corporate enterprises looking out for the good of your local community. That way you gain, Mr. Smith gains, and we all gain not just the few well heeled dictators in Corporate America

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa 1959 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

67 months ago

Cynthia DLR in Camden, New York said: Is everyone finding it this difficult to find employment

I've had a job seems like my whole life, but since I lost my job 2 months ago, it seems like everyone is looking for a job and no one wants to hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Irene Anderson in Minneapolis, Minnesota

66 months ago

Whatever in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: 8 months and counting. Twice I've been accepted and had the job evaporate while waiting for the start date. Frustrating.

I like to work for Fleet Farm because I love the stors and the people that work there.

Bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida

66 months ago

Williamsmith40258 in Louisville, Kentucky said: Maybe we need to find ways to start to pool resources and start ways to start real and legitimate small businesses on a shoestring and start creating our own economy outside of their system. I think that is a novel idea and to start by supporting the small town and community oriented people that need your help. The people that are the backbone of your community, not some large corporate regime full of scoundrels, crooks, and incompetents. Support your mom and pop businesses and tell the Circuit Cities, Linens and Things, and all these different companies to pound sand. The less you buy from these organizations the more you can find a way to divert funds to legitimate and non corporate enterprises looking out for the good of your local community. That way you gain, Mr. Smith gains, and we all gain not just the few well heeled dictators in Corporate America

There are a couple of great companies to work for in this bad economy. They are very successful and provide great opportunities! If you want to know more, please email me at boneycooks@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Quinetta in Charlotte, North Carolina

65 months ago

Cynthia DLR in Camden, New York said: Is everyone finding it this difficult to find employment

Im haveing just as much luck as you are in finding a job. Im about to lose my childcare because I can no longer afford to pay the bill. I was a school bus driver for 4 years and I lost my job April 2nd of this year and my luck is only gotten worse. Im about to lose my transportation and im already homeless with 4 kids. I have CDL drivers license and a high school diploma, Im stressed out and dont know what to do. I have been job searching since the day I lost my job and still no luck yet.

rosemary green

65 months ago

yes i am i didnt know it would be this hard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katpinky1 in Pocatello, Idaho

65 months ago

I had just recently moved to the area with my husband,and applying online, answering questionaires is not fun. I have worked in customer service areas for over 30yrs and I'm not really ready to retire yet but its really tough out there. I wish there were more green jobs out there like geothermal technology and solar energy type jobs. I would love to work and learn something new. Any ideas anybody?

bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida

65 months ago

Katpinky1 in Pocatello, Idaho said: I had just recently moved to the area with my husband,and applying online, answering questionaires is not fun. I have worked in customer service areas for over 30yrs and I'm not really ready to retire yet but its really tough out there. I wish there were more green jobs out there like geothermal technology and solar energy type jobs. I would love to work and learn something new. Any ideas anybody?

Email me at boneycooks@aol.com and I will be glad to share information about opportunities with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gone 4 Greener Pastures in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

Anyone, Question, Are people now dumbing down their resumes in order to submit a job application?

I recently took off my resume my attendance for graduate school. I did not graduate but spent six
months. I did not know if this has any influence on hiring personnel.

I notice that In Tampa there are a lot of people standing in line at the temp agencies looking for work. Many of them are have advance degrees.

65 months ago

For me as a minority, I have always had to do that. No one wants to hire an AA female with a masters, especially if another female is doing the hiring. However, lately, I am not changing my resume, I am not going to change who I am and I realize that may mean not getting a job but it is very tiring to play the employment charade, reduce the resume, play the interview games and all of this. Getting a job is worse than dating, and I don't do that either.

Charles43 in Porterville, California

64 months ago

rosemary green said: yes, i didnt know it would be this hard

Tell me About it, i have been looking for over a year, with nine job interview.

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

Yes, & you can see contradictions in resume writing advice on every website that offers resume tips. Want to increase your network? Volunteer. But isn't that playing into the stereotype that seniors or women don't need paychecks? The phrase "overqualified" is applied by every human resource director to disguise prejudices. You read many qualifications required for certain jobs that only want a high school graduate to apply although the job description has such a long list of requirements, & then human resources tells you that you are overqualified when what the company wants is someone young. The FAFSA form (for school) is inherently prejudiced against an adult applicant, & reemployment centers can't or won't help seniors w/training funds, either.

64 months ago

How can anyone feel encouraged to complete any education when so many people w/advanced degrees can only find minimum wage jobs? And there are no education funds for seniors (anyone 40+ years old) to further an education, change careers, obtain another degree, etc. even in the medical field. Local "colleges" rake in students w/promises of what seems like reasonable training but can't deliver jobs w/all those graduates in competition. Standard pay seems to be $8-10 hourly, & most people state that now they can't pay their bills & owe for the college training.

drayford in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

Jamie in Louisville, Kentucky said: I am a mother of three and trying to find a job worth my wild.That pays enough , for someone who is very smart and has talents in a little of everything its even hard for me to find a job because of the economy now days. I am a very very very hard worker and determined to success for my children and i am a quick learner, so if anyone is interested email me at jamiewolney@yahoo.com i wont let u down.

I feel your pain, I move to texas looking for work and still havent found nothing. My unemployment have run out dont know what I'm going to do good luck

64 months ago

Katpinky1 in Pocatello, Idaho said: I had just recently moved to the area with my husband,and applying online, answering questionaires is not fun. I have worked in customer service areas for over 30yrs and I'm not really ready to retire yet but its really tough out there. I wish there were more green jobs out there like geothermal technology and solar energy type jobs. I would love to work and learn something new. Any ideas anybody?

I know how you feel, I moved to dallas texas from Michigan hoping to find work, I have over 30 years in customer service and still have not found a job. This applying for jobs on line seems to be a waste of time because no one calls you. Good luck with your job search

64 months ago

Zoie Wallace in Akron, Ohio said: I am so glad that Indeed.com these forums listed because I tell you what I am burned out with copy and pasting my freaking resume and getting all these stupid e-mails position has been filled, or your over qualifed and I think with what experience. It also seems like now the same jobs are hiring. I even tried to waitress and they were like well we might call you back ! They never did I'm thinking to WAITRESS!! are you serious. I have just given up and I am so tired of these stupid people e-mailing me about at home freakin jobs! What gives ... I can't even get a $8.00 an hour job I'm so over trying to find a freakin JOB

I feel your pain, the companies that you send your resume out to dont even have the courtesy to at least let you know if you got the job or not, so you just sit and wait to hear something and it never happens. Companies should show a little more compassion for those of us who lost our jobs and who is looking for a job to support our families. Good luck with your job search

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

youngandweary in West Palm Beach, Florida said: For me as a minority, I have always had to do that. No one wants to hire an AA female with a masters, especially if another female is doing the hiring. However, lately, I am not changing my resume, I am not going to change who I am and I realize that may mean not getting a job but it is very tiring to play the employment charade, reduce the resume, play the interview games and all of this. Getting a job is worse than dating, and I don't do that either.

I agree with you as a minority, we are not getting any jobs, and if we do no one else wanted it. I feel your pain good luck

64 months ago

I moved to Dallas Texas from Michigan looking for a job. I feelthat no one wants to hire me because I'm from michigan. I feel that they would give the job to a texan first. Now I wonder if moving here was a good idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed in ohio in Milford, Ohio

63 months ago

saipeople in kingwood, Texas said: Yes, getting job nowadays is becoming very tough.

I use to live in dallas texas four years ago, i was under the impression that things were better in tx than in ohio during the eoonomical recession, is it not?

MAD in Boston, Massachusetts

63 months ago

YES, TERRIBLY. I HAVE 28 YEARS IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY/ AGENT AS WELL AS COMPANY, AND I'VE GONE ON MANY INTERVIEWS, BUT IT SEEMS THAT NO ONE WANTS TO HIRE SOMEONE WHO HAS TOO MUCH EXPERIENCE.

jwerber in Escondido, California

62 months ago

hbender@bellsouth.net in Wilmington, North Carolina said: Hello, yes, it is veeerryy hard these days to find a good job or any job at all, I'm laif off too and have been looking for 5 months now - no luck, tell me about it...

Tell me about it. I have been laid off since Feb . I had two jobs since then that didn't work out. Some companies hire you but wont give you enough time to learn the job. I am getting very frusturated at this point. I have extensive customer service experience.

jwerber in Escondido, California

62 months ago

I have been laid off since Feb 2009. I have had two jobs that didnt work out for me since then. I was hired by two companies that didn't want to take the time and effort to properly train me. I have over 25 years in the Customer Service field. I have a bachelors degree. I have been through some frusturating experiences in the past few months with the current economy. I keep saying to myself that eventually I will have a job that I enjoy.

denmat in Minneapolis, Minnesota

62 months ago

I have finally been at a job since March, it's only part-time and started $4 lower than what I was making, it will eventually go full-time but not soon enough. I realize it is very frustrating for you having been only a few months, are you at least getting unemployment? I had no income for over a year and I thank god I live with my boyfriend and that was even tough. He got laid off for a couple months after I started my job and boy I was still scared. I just hope you have a lot of moral support it helps, but not the pocket book. I would try looking into a transitional company, I worked for one for a couple months until I landed this job. Another thing try to keep busy doing things at home or outside, I was in all winter and it drove me up the wall. Write back if you need someone to talk to. Take care.

michele in Orem, Utah

62 months ago

youngandweary in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I also find it hard. I am pretty exhausted. I have zero energy. I spend more hours a day looking for a job than I would if I were working. I am really really tired. I have a strong resume, 3 degrees, I work hard...it's hard for me to find a job where I will be paid appropriately and treated with even a remote form of respect. I know that doesn't matter to some people but like harassment, disrespect and unfair practices really exhaust a person, hurts your spirit and weight you down. I'm only 30 but I am so tired I cannot even explain. I have had a solid 10 years of this. Where do you look for work if even your program advisor from school, workforce development, the Internet and "networking" (although for me that doesn't work because you go to business socials and people spend more time hitting on each other than developing good leads) don't get you anywhere?

RV in California, I am told the same thing regarding over-qualification. Some jobs reject me in less than 24 hours...how can they even check your references by then? They see a degree and make terrible assumptions about who I am. I just want a decent job. I dunno about even a good job, that is asking too much...but moderately decent. I know for a fact that some jobs in South FL (I don't want to name the companies) discriminate against you if you went to college. I saw two jobs offering 68K for a high school diploma and 5 years experience. I have more than 5 years experience and a Masters and they wouldn't even give me an interview, not even a call. They immediately rejected my resume without a chance. I would kill to make 68K, I don't ask for 100K although some people with my resume get it. I have never even come close to 68K. I have done 90K IT work for a receptionist pay as I am a minority female, so I expect that at this point. I dunno what to do. I went to church on Sunday to pray about this and hopefully let all of the last decade of damage go so I c

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymously in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

Williamsmith40258 in Louisville, Kentucky said: Temporary agencies in this country need to be banned. There is enough work for everyone in a healthy and productive economy. Having people working for less than their true worth is sinful and tyrannical. Not to mention leading to the demise of our Social Security system, retirements, home purchasing, and basic standard of living. To have a city such as Louisville, KY or any other place hiring just temporary workers so they don't have to pay basic benefits and taxes is plain theft. It is raking in profits yet not paying wages that will support the future making of profits. Which is why the US economy is bound to crumble unless this state of affairs is rectified.

I completely agree with you. As well as being unethical, which is not a business concern, they do undermine the national economy;Temp agencies and outlandish hiring practices:
1) Criminal background checks - “To make sure you are who you say you are”. But you've provided I-9 information to establish your identity and right to work. Is this a fishing expedition.
2) Credit checks - "To assess your decision making abilities" without regard to how little they’ve been paying you (see item 3). What ever happened to innocent before proven guilty, especially if crime has been committed. Which particularly affects women and minorities. Besides, “If I were a criminal, do you think I’d be living like this?”
3) You are being paid very little because the agency is usually keeping 60 to 75% of the billed amount. So you are slowing sinking into poverty and public housing shelters. Which will have a negative impact on your credit rating and leave you “qualified” for even lower paying jobs. Which will make you an even “higher risk” employee.
4) The foreseeable outcome is an economic death spiral of lower wages, reduced consumer spending, fewer businesses, fewer jobs, higher taxes to pay for social programs to make up for the lower wages.

yolie91762a in Upland, California

60 months ago

Yes. I was laid off 10 months ago. I have almost 5 years customer service experience. I have applied to every customer rep, cashier and collector postions. So far I only get responses for sales rep (commission only). I even went to temp agencies but when I call to check on my applications I get the run around. I am also on several job search websites. I went to a job interview yesterday and now I going through their background check. I hope that this one I get the job.

60 months ago

Here is an follow up to my reply several days ago. I have been on several more interviews but still no job. Are there anyone with the same problem? Either I am too qualify or the jobs are too far away. Plus I take the bus and I do not have a car so I have to work around the bus schdule.

zelly in Canton, Ohio

60 months ago

es sweetheart it is not u only... I been unemployed since Jan of 2009

60 months ago

I've been looking for three years since my present business went into a hostile takeover/litigation. I'm lucky to have a part time job in an honorable part of the situation, but I've been living on fumes (credit cards) & I'm now financially destitute. I haven't had help from a local reemployment center (I have a degree in medicine w/a wide range of experience but in the veterinary not human field) to get into college for a comparable degree in human medicine but YOUNGER people have had help @ the same reemployment center. My car is OK; previously, employers wouldn't even consider hiring someone who has no car even if the business is on a reliable busline. Maybe try seasonal employment in retail? Although we all know how many applications get submitted there, too.

yolie91767a in Upland, California

60 months ago

I am trying that route too. I am applying for seasonal jobs too. Has anyone over the age of 40 notice that more employers are starting to ask how old are you and what was the last amount you made at your last employer?

60 months ago

It isn't legal to ask your age, but once anyone knows the year that you graduated high school, anyone can do the math. You find yourself giving out your social security number on every application & these people get access to your credit history -- this is one way to identity theft. Any excuse can be given to practice age discrimination; I experienced a human resources rep refusing to even interview me for numerous positions for which I was qualified by stating the I "would probably want more money than any of the position pays" although I insisted that the hours were perfect, the location ideal, & my salary requirement is open.

59 months ago

Actully you are mistaken it is illegal for employers to use age discrimation. My last job was working at a company take makes Federal and State Employment Law Posters and part of my job as an customer service representation was to know about the employment laws for all 50 states as well the federal ones. An employers are not supposed to ask your age on an application but they are getting around that loop hole instead they want your information for EEOC use only. I can understand that I have applied to jobs that pay only min wage but I get turned down for those jobs too.

Heidi Elstein in Sebastian, Florida

59 months ago

Any HR people out there?

Was wondering if there was any Human Resource workers out there? I used to post to these message boards when I was on WW, it was really helpful, thought I would try again.

I live in FL, and have applied to 70 jobs in 2 months. I have only received 1 call for an interview from a retail store as a cashier. Tried all the job websites, company websites...I have been super aggressive at times, and semi aggressive, non agressive, whatever the situation calls for.

I took that job. It pays about $7.00 hour. I can't feed my kids, lost my home, and now we may lose our only car. I just want to figure out WHY I am not getting calls for interviews?

I have a beautiful resume. I fine tune it specifically to match each position I apply for. My CV Letter is great.

Job history:

I worked as a high level secretary for a few years.
Worked as a stewardess for 5+ years for an airline.
Worked as a bank teller for a few years.
Worked in food service at a coffee shop.
Expert in all MS software (Word, Powerpoint, etc.)

No college, but I am applying for jobs that don't require college.

I am in very good shape (not that it should matter, but I am doing whatever it takes), have a great personality, and lots of company commendations and references, dress very professional, no tattoos or weird piercings LOL!

I have applied above my expertise level, at my level, and below my level for ANY job at this point.

I have applied for jobs via email, internet websites, via phone, via fax, in-person as well.

What the heck is it? I am really frustrated!

Thanks so much!

59 months ago

Most HR people seem to be instructed to use the phrase "overqualified" to avoid hiring "seniors" (anyone 40+ years old), so I suspect that's the "problem" we educated, experienced, capable & willing types have encountered everywhere. If your read job descriptions in detail, no matter how much expertise is required, the company states that all it requires is a high school diploma. This is another way to avoid employing "seniors." If a company offers health benefits, it's obvious that hiring "seniors" would increase company insurance premiums, so I suspect that's in the ugly brew, too. We as a nation are impoverishing the entire employment foundation of the business system while more perks & wages w/less resposibility for bad corporate decisions create a top heavy business model. You don't need to be an architect to know why we're in an economic crumble.

59 months ago

It seems like no matter how qualified or how enthusiastic you are about a location & hours, no matter how much you focus your resume & cover letter, the only phone calls you get are from places that run their own horror show (jobs nobody wants due to "corporate culture").
People who have set themselves up w/resume review or writing sites may be legit or may be like so many "storefront colleges" that offer technical training that swamps the local market w/minimally trained people for so few jobs in any given occupation that wages plummet. Then I quote many forum alumni: "Now I'm not making any more money, have the same bills to pay plus I have to pay for the classes, too!"

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

After being out of work from July to October, I found a position with a company that deals with banks from around the country to retain their customers. I contacted these banks and did Customer Retention surveys. However, they told me last week that they decided to discontinue the surveys because they weren't getting the results that the company wanted. So here I am now; back to the drawing board again.

I've been working in call centers on and off since 1983. Most of my experience has been with these outbound telemarketing service agencies and market research firms; who are hired by other companies to do their various sales, marketing, and research projects.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I'm finding very few of these types of companies. In my personal opinion, the Do-Not-Call List has practically put a lot of these places out of business. Some of the market research firms in this don't even have any call centers. Two of them used to have a call center, but now; they're all located out of state.

Most of the jobs today are in either health care, high-tech, retail, or the financial industries (banking, insurance, etc.); and these fields are just totally not my thing. I used to be a dietary aide in the hospitals and nursing homes, but now I just can't do it anymore. I have bad knees and I can't stand for long periods of time. And besides, my heart's just not in it anymore.
I even have some data entry skills, but there are very few data entry job. I have no desire whatsover to work in health care, and I wish they would stop shoving it down my throat!

But I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep trying until I do find something. I don't want to stay out of work any longer than I have to.

Thank you.

yolie91762a in Pomona, California

56 months ago

I can agree with you. I too have been out of work since Dec 2008. I have been turned in so many resumes and been on interviews but the problem I having is that employers are not upfront in what they want from an employee. And staff agencies are worse. We need to be told the truth. I know that health care is the way to go but not on all careers.

56 months ago

Also I have been out of over since Dec 2008. I am looking on going back to school due to even being an customer service rep with almost 7 years exp now employers want employees with a college degree to answer the telephone and to speak a foreign language. Any thoughts on this subject?

56 months ago

Again, and I don't mean to sound negative, but employers today want the perfect person. They want someone to get in there and hit the ground running. They don't want to train anybody. Whenever I look at the duties, it sounds like that they want someone who doesn't make any mistakes.

Yesterday, I checked on one of the other websites that one of these companies is looking for an inside sales rep. This if the fifth time that they've advertised for one and it's not that they have high turnover. They haven't found the right person yet.

Hey employers! We are human beings! We are not machines. You should hire people and not machines! We have to get started somewhere!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

yolie91762a in Pomona, California said: Also I have been out of over since Dec 2008. I am looking on going back to school due to even being an customer service rep with almost 7 years exp now employers want employees with a college degree to answer the telephone and to speak a foreign language. Any thoughts on this subject?

Because a lot of companies probably have overseas customers. If you have to deal with a customer in another country, you probably have to know how to speak the language.

There was a market rsearch firm here in the Philadelphia area that used to hire interviewers who could speak another language fluently. This is because they made a lot of calls to Europe and to Asia.

As far as having a college degree goes; it would depend on what type of industry it is. If you're going to work in the financial, scientific, or high-tech industries, you might have to have a college degree. It just totally depends on what the company wants.

But I'm sure that there are many customer service jobs that you can get where you only have to have a high school diploma. Just don't give up. Keep on trying.

56 months ago

I have to wonder if college costs justify working in customer service via telephone? It's like so many receptionist jobs that don't pay enough to justify the kind of wardrobe that the company demands (yes, I'm even saying that buying second hand designer labels @ a thrift store is barely good enough for the front desk). I can remember someone working @ a local pharmacy who needed expensive (looking) shoes for the job. Is a shopper likely to SEE your shoes behind the counter?!

56 months ago

Hey, guess what? Machines aren't "perfect" either. & machines are expensive to maintain, usually break down @ the most demanding moment, & are an expensive investment. Companies haven't figured out yet that the REAL problem in business is the HIGH overhead in salaries & perks @ the executive level.

56 months ago

thanks for the comment. I am trying not to give up but in California our employment rate is over 10% and in San Bernardino County it is 14%. I even applied for cashier, nurse aid jobs and I can't get a job in these fieids either. I hope to find a job soon due to my employment ends in June.

56 months ago

I agree. I have seen some inside and customer service listed on several job machines for several months. Are employers that picky. They should hire people and give them a chance to prove that they can do the job.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.