Employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 111 of 111)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

53 months ago

In this economy, it seems like the only people w/jobs & making money are working @ the "colleges" that offer training/degrees in technical specialties. Those jobs get flooded w/applicants, so the pay scale gets lower. How can you afford to go to school for education in any kind of employment, & then find your wages so low that on graduation you discover not only do you still have all your preschool bills but now you have to repay your school costs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Even AARP is talking about job openings in health care, but I've heard from so many people that the basic jobs for which they've gone to school to train are so flooded w/applicants that even securing a job is nearly impossible plus the pay scale decreases accordingly. The job openings that I see continuously seem to be specialty nursing & technical jobs that require a lot of college time & money & probably a lot of general medical experience. I've worked in a wide range of medical disciplines as a veterinary technician for a dozen plus years, but no one considers my medical experience worth anything although we do the same lab work, pre & post surgical assistance including anesthesia, pharmacy, & radiology as in the human field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I wish you well, Nanlisa in PA. It's so tough to change careers when you have experience or a degree in a different discipline. It's almost good that I got blacklisted deliberately & vindictively by a former boss (fired me one week after I handed in the professional two week notice). What's frustrating for me is that no one understands or wants to know how much I know in medicine, that I have a dozen plus years experience in laboratory & pharmacy science, pre & post op surgical assistance, anesthesiology, radiology etc., all equivalent work to the human field. I have had no help or encouragement from schools, local reemployment centers, or AARP for further education. We all need to wish each other well no matter what age, but I'm wondering if companies just won't hire anyone 50+?

beentheredonethat in Kennesaw, Georgia

52 months ago

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio said: At least you got "laid off." I put in a professional courtesy two week notice & got fired a week later, which blacklisted me (52 year old single woman) in my own profession (veterinary technology) after 13 years.

that really sucked. Sorry to hear that. I been "terminated" myself after 22 years in my beloved company. They been offshoring our jobs and probably did not want to pay me my severance package so the Company can save money. I did not do anything wrong. It was a made up story. After you tell the interviewer you were fired from a job though no fault of your own, then you can guarantee your chances of getting the job is nil.. sigh ...

I wish you all the luck.

transplant in San Angelo, Texas

51 months ago

Times are tough all over and some business managers are under extreme pressure to cut staff. After they cut the fat, they must cut valued staff. Their reasons don't always make sense and feathers do get ruffled when it happens.
In my office, we agree how important it is to keep positive, don't bad mouth your former employers, and (on applications) state the reason for leaving your last job "Willing to discuss during interview." Potential employers understand there was disagreement and may give you the opportunity to tell your side of the story. This strategy doesn't work everytime but is quite effective when it does.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Financial Services Entreprenuer in Loganville, Georgia

51 months ago

I was once in the same position i.e. laid off from a company after working for them for 10 years. I have a degree in Architectural Engineering and was making a 6 figure income, but I was not enjoying life because I was working 60 + hours per week.

I understand all of your concerns, but I think some people must realize that the times are changing. The people who will the most successful will be the people who can quickly learn how to support their family themselves and what I mean by this is the people who has the ability to produce an income without the dependency of an employer. The writing is all out there that corporations do not care about tenure anymore. There are lots of companies out there who are implementing the 1099 employee. This strategy cuts costs and gvies the understanding that you will not be here forever.

I personally think that you have to be your own boss and develop your own income streams so you will not have to be apart of anyones layoff or recession.

whothat in Villa Rica, Georgia

45 months ago

Cynthia DLR in Camden, New York said: Is everyone finding it this difficult to find employment

only if you are white....blacks get all the jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

yolie91762a in Montclair, California

45 months ago

i am black and i do not have a job. how dare you make that racist comment. i have applied to so many jobs. i have over 10 years of call center experience and after being out work since dec 2008, i started going to community college in aug to study radiology tech which is a stable career but now i have a new problem i am now getting calls and emails from employers for job interviews and i want to continue my education. when i tell employers that i am in school but i can work 3 days a week and also on the weekends i get turned down too. i need to work due to my unemployment ends in dec.

Annetta930 in Nashville, Tennessee

45 months ago

Financial Services Entreprenuer in Loganville, Georgia said: I was once in the same position i.e. laid off from a company after working for them for 10 years. I have a degree in Architectural Engineering and was making a 6 figure income, but I was not enjoying life because I was working 60 + hours per week.

I understand all of your concerns, but I think some people must realize that the times are changing. The people who will the most successful will be the people who can quickly learn how to support their family themselves and what I mean by this is the people who has the ability to produce an income without the dependency of an employer. The writing is all out there that corporations do not care about tenure anymore. There are lots of companies out there who are implementing the 1099 employee. This strategy cuts costs and gvies the understanding that you will not be here forever.

I personally think that you have to be your own boss and develop your own income streams so you will not have to be apart of anyones layoff or recession.

Developing your own income streams does not guarantee that you'll be avoided in times of recession. If money is scarce all over, which is what makes it a recession to begin with, you'll be hit in your business like everyone else...unless you're running drugs, which I wouldn't recommend. We've infected our society with quite enough of that already. If corporate CEOs understood or cared at all about the damage being done to the society by their excessive salaries and bonuses, they'd adhere to practicality rather than greed and leave room for companies to actually hire from and offer reasonable wages to the middle class...which would un-recess the economy. Thanks to greed, it's rough everywhere...even if you ARE your own boss.

darksidzz in Bolingbrook, Illinois

37 months ago

yolie91762a in Pomona, California said: I can agree with you. I too have been out of work since Dec 2008. I have been turned in so many resumes and been on interviews but the problem I having is that employers are not upfront in what they want from an employee. And staff agencies are worse. We need to be told the truth. I know that health care is the way to go but not on all careers.

You're definitely right, that's what I've been noticing too. I'll go for an interview and it turns into a part time job from the full time job they had listed, and sometimes an entirely different position they word the description to sound like something but presto it is sales, or something equally not within my ability. Truly pathetic, then they try forcing you to take a part time job with making you feel guilty for wasting their time!

m0nk3ymom

28 months ago

Yes it is EXTREMELY DIFFUCULT to find a job these days. Ive been looking for one for almost 3 years (which is when i had my son). I have over 5 years experience working with children and 4+ years in fast food. I also have my Early Childhood and Paraeducator degree. This economy stinks and it seems like its just getting worse everyday. If its like this now for us Im scared to know what it will be like for our children.
#IN DESPERATE NEED OF A JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.