Should I Switch Careers (Programmer to DB2 DBA)?

Comments (1)

Nijhazer in Montgomery, Alabama

79 months ago

Greetings, and thanks in advance for any advice you're able to offer.

I'm 28, and have been working as a z/OS mainframe developer for five years. In my current job, I write and maintain many different types of applications: COBOL programs old and new, PeopleSoft processes written in three different programming languages, Web apps, Cognos... It's a lot of stuff, and it all runs on top of IBM's DB2 database platform.

I don't know how DB2 stacks up to other database platforms, but personally I've been very impressed with it over the past few years. Doing so much database development has shown me that data design is almost as if not more important than program design. Also, I'm interested in moving to the West Coast-- and I'm starting to wonder whether or not I'll have a better chance of finding a good job out there as a DB2 database administrator than as a programmer.

With all this in mind, I have a few questions for those of you with experience in the field:

1) At 28, am I too old to switch careers from programmer to DBA?
2) Is there a market for DB2 DBAs on the West Coast?
3) If you do think it's a good idea to be a DBA, would you recommend focusing on some platform other than DB2?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm feeling a little lost at the moment; and any advice that you may have is greatly appreciated. Best wishes!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.