Deckhand Certificate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Chip in Knoxville, Tennessee

36 months ago

I spoke with a school in Ft Walton Bch Fla regarding training as a deck hand. Their cost is $440 for a ONE DAY of training. You get your TWIK, MMC, DH cert, Drug screen and phyiscal. They also help build your resume for employment, plus shoot your name to 200 companys in the business. Does this even sound right? Any and all suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Chip USN retired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Avon, Connecticut

36 months ago

My boyfriend went to this class, but his was only $255.00. He already has a TWIC though. They give u the deckhand training and safety injury prevention certificate & basic job search information. They also give you a website of companies that hire for deck hand positions. The website wants you to pay 19.99 for the company names and telephone numbers. It has been over a week since he attended the class, and has not heard anything back from the company that offered the class. He said the class was very informative, but you do not leave with a job and you do not take a drug test or physical until you are offered a job through one of the companies. Hoping to hear from one of the hiring companies soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chip in Knoxville, Tennessee

36 months ago

Sara in Avon, Connecticut said: My boyfriend went to this class, but his was only $255.00. He already has a TWIC though. They give u the deckhand training and safety injury prevention certificate & basic job search information. They also give you a website of companies that hire for deck hand positions. The website wants you to pay 19.99 for the company names and telephone numbers. It has been over a week since he attended the class, and has not heard anything back from the company that offered the class. He said the class was very informative, but you do not leave with a job and you do not take a drug test or physical until you are offered a job through one of the companies. Hoping to hear from one of the hiring companies soon.

Sara
Thank you for the info. This will help me make an informed decession. Best of luck to you and your Boy Friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gonzo Who

36 months ago

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I was wondering if he has found or heard anything yet from any employers or if he thinks it was a scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Newington, Connecticut

36 months ago

they called him last week to have him fax a copy of his revised resume, but so far that is all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inl Tennessee

35 months ago

My son is scheduled to go to the training next week. Any informaion will be helpful He is supposed to pay 440 and sure can't afford to waste that .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Newington, Connecticut

35 months ago

My bf still dosent have a job... but we also didn't pay the extra 20.00 for the website to give us the company names and phone #'s that are hiring

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gonzo Who

35 months ago

Mary inl Tennessee said: My son is scheduled to go to the training next week. Any informaion will be helpful He is supposed to pay 440 and sure can't afford to waste that .

I need to start this by saying I chose NOT to go through with that class. As far as I can tell the certifications you get are legitimate. What really threw me off was the company offering it told me they would refund all my money if they didn't find me work. But that company is not in charge of the certifications, I mean they administer the tests but they're not the ones in charge of it. The money still has to go to whoever is in charge of that and that money would not be refundable. So I was going off of something I was told, had nothing in writing about, being told this company would refund all my money when there is no way they can feasibly do this. Also, take a look online for some job posts in this line of work. You'll find thousands of people looking for work and hardly any companies offering work. To sum this up: Your son would be getting training for a new field of work that currently does not need any new workers. It would be one more obsolete thing to add to a resumé.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rick Block in Bradenton, Florida

35 months ago

Sara in Newington, Connecticut said: My bf still dosent have a job... but we also didn't pay the extra 20.00 for the website to give us the company names and phone #'s that are hiring

Sara I did the same thing, company called MCR. I got TWIC for $123 and MMC Credential for $140 thru thru coast guard.

Companies that Ive talked to say they need experienced deckhands, however ur not considered experienced until u have AB or better credential...The MMC is OS credential, after that u need 180 days on the water for an upgrade to AB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rick Block in Bradenton, Florida

35 months ago

mary,is the company name MCR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.