Im looking for an open Able Seaman Position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Katherine in Newark, New Jersey

71 months ago

Laura in Astoria, Oregon said: I just recently graduated the Tongue Point Seamaship Program in Astoria OR. I am having alot of trouble finding an open position anywhere but on a tug. If anyone may have a company they know of that is hiring A/B right now and you feel like you can help out a new salty sailor...Please let me know. Thanks! ! !

Did you try Crowley? They are recruiting everywhere. Also try Fairfield Industries..I saw their ad in Workboat Magazine last month. What Tugs are hiring AB's? My husband just finished AB training at SUNY maritime college and has been in commercial fishing, has also 100 ton lic. looking for offshore Tug AB job. Thanks for your help...Katherine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Will in Pleasanton, California

63 months ago

Laura in Astoria, Oregon said: I just recently graduated the Tongue Point Seamaship Program in Astoria OR. I am having alot of trouble finding an open position anywhere but on a tug. If anyone may have a company they know of that is hiring A/B right now and you feel like you can help out a new salty sailor...Please let me know. Thanks! ! !

Hey Laura,

I'm applying to Tongue Point. How was the program and have you had any luck with finding a job?

Will

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie Stillman in Newark, New Jersey

63 months ago

I have had 20 yrs on commercial fishing vessels, a 100 ton captains license and fall of 2008 I went to SUNY Maritime college to upgrade my mmd to Able Seaman. I sent 63 resumes to merchant ships and tugs all up and down the east coast..not one response. Its either the economy or my age...although no one is allowed to comment on age- 50...but I am back on the fishing boats. Be glad you can find a position on a tug..that was more than I was able to get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Will in Pleasanton, California

63 months ago

Ronnie Stillman in Newark, New Jersey said: I have had 20 yrs on commercial fishing vessels, a 100 ton captains license and fall of 2008 I went to SUNY Maritime college to upgrade my mmd to Able Seaman. I sent 63 resumes to merchant ships and tugs all up and down the east coast..not one response. Its either the economy or my age...although no one is allowed to comment on age- 50...but I am back on the fishing boats. Be glad you can find a position on a tug..that was more than I was able to get.

Ronnie, sorry to hear about the difficulties. I hope something pops up. How would someone get a job on a fishing boat? I am interested in case the same thing happens to me. Thanks.

Will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Harold in Everett, Washington

62 months ago

Have either of you tried the Military Sealift Command?

www.sealiftcommand.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Will in Pleasanton, California

62 months ago

Harold in Everett, Washington said: Have either of you tried the Military Sealift Command?

www.sealiftcommand.com/

I've been accepted to the SIU apprenticeship program and will be starting in November, perhaps afterward I'll look into MSC. The only thing is, I've heard they promise reliefs after 4-6 months, but you don't usually get one until 10 - 11 months, with not much time off. Not my idea of fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gavin in San Jose, California

59 months ago

I used to be in the Army and was also an Electrician for a couple of years, looking to be a deckhand with Commercial Fishing. If anyone could give me some advice... I'd appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

noel in Londonderry, United Kingdom

59 months ago

trying to return to sea ,sny opening will sute .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rob826752@yahoo.com in Toms River, New Jersey

45 months ago

hey guys ive been in this business since 2000 and worked for three diffrent companys moran,ksea,and the great lakes dredge and dock, i have a AB unlimited,stcw 95,twic,ect,ect,ect,and im in local 333 and local 25 and ive been laid off since 2007 and i just had a baby so thing are hard this way too so if you have any luck in your search please notify me on my email address rob826752@yahoo.com thanks and good luck again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jerome h. munoz in Lynnwood, Washington

45 months ago

i am able seaman before so i am applying to your good office i am work in cargo ship word wide i have 5 years experience in the ship

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

muammer in Sakarya, Turkey

38 months ago

hou can i work I would like to work in America im seamen Since from 1994 a/b thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.