Being a dental assistant instructor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 100)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey

81 months ago

Hello everyone! I have been in the dental field for over 16 years, I have worked both as an assistant and Tx/financial coordinator. I felt like there's no more room for growth. There's no more challenge for me and it's been kind of boring.I make 55k-70k/year,works 4 days/wk,we probably take abt. 6 wks vacation/year, plus 401k. I was contemplating on teaching instead, but I have no idea how much they make. Does anybody know? Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (158) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Loan Nguyen in Marietta, Georgia

81 months ago

Hello
I am a dentalassistance. I just graduated but i do not get a job yet. But about your question, my idea is: you can call to the place i study dental assistance and ask them. That is the good place and have alot of students for every couse. You can go to this website to get the phone number which i has been studied. WWW.WALDRON DENTISTRY.COM or wwww.learn to earn.com.Those office in Kennesaw
Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Felecia in Stone Mountain, Georgia

81 months ago

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey said: Hello everyone! I have been in the dental field for over 16 years, I have worked both as an assistant and Tx/financial coordinator. I felt like there's no more room for growth. There's no more challenge for me and it's been kind of boring.I make 55k-70k/year,works 4 days/wk,we probably take abt. 6 wks vacation/year, plus 401k. I was contemplating on teaching instead, but I have no idea how much they make. Does anybody know? Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

That job don't pay much here in Georgia, it's were you live in other words what part of city and state you live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey

81 months ago

thanks for the info. i just feel funny asking the school what's the salary rate.A lot of times they'll tell you,depends on your experience. Maybe somebody out there who's been one can tell me more abt. it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Lafayette, Louisiana

81 months ago

Hey guys, I have been an Expanded Duty Dental Assistant for almost 10 years and I just started teaching Dental Assisting on the weekend. I get paid minimum wage but make up for it in bonuses. I make about 30K a year before taxes. This is the only Dentist I have ever worked for and I don't know if I am getting screwed or not. I would like to look for another job, but I am not sure how much I should get paid. Does anyone have any idea?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MONICA MILES in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey said: Hello everyone! I have been in the dental field for over 16 years, I have worked both as an assistant and Tx/financial coordinator. I felt like there's no more room for growth. There's no more challenge for me and it's been kind of boring.I make 55k-70k/year,works 4 days/wk,we probably take abt. 6 wks vacation/year, plus 401k. I was contemplating on teaching instead, but I have no idea how much they make. Does anybody know? Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

monica 713-631-1109 call me little money no benifits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tish in Bloomington, Indiana

80 months ago

I have a question for you...can you tell me if there is an "online class" to refresh your skills or doyou know of a school where you can go to "refresh" your skills?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Monica Miles in Houston, Texas

80 months ago

can i have your job 713-631-1109 dental asst,instructor,office manager skills call me i will move to make good money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

I teach dental assisting in Pennsylvania where salaries are typically lower. I started 7 years ago at 32,000 and now make a little over 50,000. It can be a very rewarding job but I could have never done this when I had small children. I take work home with me every night and there is no flexibility in your schedule or your life. You have to do it for the love of dentistry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Fullerton, California

78 months ago

how do you become a teacher? i only know how to become a RDA teacher in vocational school. what about at a comm. college?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shar in Houghton, Michigan

77 months ago

Jennifer in Fullerton, California said: how do you become a teacher? i only know how to become a RDA teacher in vocational school. what about at a comm. college?

I was wondering the same thing! I've been a dental assistant for 17 years and I feel like it's time to move on to something new. I've never been certified so my guess is I'll have to do that first. The pay up here is awful! I only make 32k if I was full time. I'm just now making what I made in IL eight years ago. Please let me know if anybody know the requirements on becoming an instructor!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Molly in Athens, Georgia

77 months ago

Shar in Houghton, Michigan said: I was wondering the same thing! I've been a dental assistant for 17 years and I feel like it's time to move on to something new. I've never been certified so my guess is I'll have to do that first. The pay up here is awful! I only make 32k if I was full time. I'm just now making what I made in IL eight years ago. Please let me know if anybody know the requirements on becoming an instructor!

This information is based on a community college with an accredited DA program and some techinical schools.
Technically they require:
1.) to be a graduate from an accredited program
2.) have a bachelor's degree
2.) current DANB certification
3.) chairside dental assisting experience
However, nationally it has been a problem to find qualified dental assisting instructors. They have given some leniency because of this issue. Minimally they want you to have a A.S. or A.A. degree and showing some effort that you are working toward your bachelor.(even if its one class a year)If someone is some classes shy of an A.A. or A.S., they usually can work with that as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Placentia, California

77 months ago

Molly,

Thanks for the insight. What is a DANB certificate? Also how many years of chairside assisting experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Molly in Athens, Georgia

77 months ago

Jennifer in Placentia, California said: Molly,

Thanks for the insight. What is a DANB certificate? Also how many years of chairside assisting experience?

DANB stands for the Dental Assisting National Board. They offer the exam so you can become a CDA (Certified Dental Assistant). After passing it, you have yearly membership dues and continuing education credits to maintain it. You can go to their website to learn more about it: www.danb.org
As far as I know there not an designated amount of experience with teaching. I just know they prefer someone who has worked in more than one office with a at least 2-4 years total.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

monica miles in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

i need a job 713-631-1109 or 832-894-0199
dental assistant in houston texas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Placentia, California

77 months ago

Oh ok you need your lisc. I already have that. I just need a job now. :) I haven't worked in an office for a couple of years. I just make more money as a server sad to say so I am doing that instead. I am a teacher's aide at my old dental assisting school as well though. Do you think that would count?

Brenda in Saint Charles, Illinois

77 months ago

WOW it seems that around the 17 years is the burn out time. I have also been a assistant for 17 yrs. and I need something new. I have been looking into being an instructor. I guess I feel better knowing this....17 years is a long time...

77 months ago

Shar in Houghton, Michigan said: I was wondering the same thing! I've been a dental assistant for 17 years and I feel like it's time to move on to something new. I've never been certified so my guess is I'll have to do that first. The pay up here is awful! I only make 32k if I was full time. I'm just now making what I made in IL eight years ago. Please let me know if anybody know the requirements on becoming an instructor!
It depends on the school that nees an instructor. Go on line to the differant colleges that offer dental assistant schools. Some want more than others. i lived in Marquette Mi and the pay stinks. I am making 22.oo and hour here in IL but the cost of living is so much more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shar in Houghton, Michigan

77 months ago

Where is Saint Charles? I lived near Gurnee, IL. It's about 45 min north of Chicago. That is the one downfall (cost of living) about living down there compared to up here. I guess Finlandia is looking into possibly starting a dental assisting program in the next couple years. I know MI has a lot more rules and regulations compared to IL. One more thing, as far as orthodontists go, who would you recommend in Mqt.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

St. Charles is about 1 hour from Gurnee. Cost of living in St. Charles is high. Marquette the best Orthodontist is Jamison, Scott. He is very well know and he does great work. Marquette is small so not a lot of options... Are you thinking about going to Marquette? Dental jobs come up about every 6 months and the pay is about 12.00 and hour. Not good.

Shar in Hancock, Michigan

76 months ago

NO, two of my kids will eventually need braces so I was just wondering who you would recommend. Most of our patients we send to Asano. Any feedback on him? Did you assist in Mqt? If so, for who?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Dont do Asano, He did my braces and it is not good. Plus he cross cont. I worked for Dr. Wissler for a while and then took a job at the prison in Munising because of the Ben. Jamison is good...

CARMEN JUDY LYON

74 months ago

I THINK I AM THE ONLY ASSISTANT THAT GETS UPSET WHEN A PATIENT CANCELS. I LOVE WHAT I DO AND I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 25 YRS AND LOVING IT. I HIRE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS TO EXPERIENCE DENTISTRY IF THEY LIKE IT GREAT IF THEY DON'T SEE YA. I HIRED A GIRL SHE WAS 16 AND I TRAINED HER TO HELP ME OUT, NOW SHE JUST GRADUATED HYGIENE SCHOOL I AM SO PROUD OF HER I JUST WISH I CAN JUST TEACH STUDENTS TO BECOME AN ASSISTANT. I ACTUALLY WENT TO A TECH SCHOOL JFK AND I WAS AN ASISTANT STRAIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. VERY INTERESTING, AND NOW I JUST LOVE WHAT I DO TREMENDOUSLY. WHEN MONDAY COMES AROUND I WANT A MOUTH TO WORK ON,AND I GET TO WORK EARLY JUST TO BE READY TO GO WHEN MY BOSS WALKS IN. PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE HOW IMPORTANT ORAL HUGIENE IS, THATS WHY THEY HAVE PROFESSONALS TO EDUCATE THEM.

Tish

74 months ago

I'd like to talk to you further on this....educating students & maybe assistants that have been out of it for awhile & would like to get back into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angelique in Wallingford, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I have been a dental assisting instructor for 3 months now it is at a career school outside of outside of phila, pa. It's a 9 month program. I am an EFDA in PA. I can say this about being an instructor, it is rewarding but not easy, I have to spend many hour a week preparing to teach outside the classroom. I take work home every evening, you have to have alot of energy, patience and be a people person. Most of the instructor positions I have seen advertised at minimum wanted a dental assistant that has been in the field for at least 3-5 years of chairside experience, dental radiographer license, and CPR certification. In addition to that some schools preferred CDA/RDA or EFDA certifification (depending on state) Other's wanted Bachelor's or Associates degrees. It just depends on the state or program. Many of the openings I see are part time and it could be day, evening or weeekend it all depends. The pay is good though I make what I would be making as an EFDA low 20's an hour. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I also have neen in the field for over 17 yrs. I have went on two inerviews for teaching and the pay was very low. One was offering 16.00 and hr. The other asked me the lowest I would take I said 22.00 they said that was way over what they could pay. I was thinking a starting dental assistant can make about 16.00 in the Chicago area. What is wrong with this picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Plant City, Florida

73 months ago

Tish said: I'd like to talk to you further on this....educating students & maybe assistants that have been out of it for awhile & would like to get back into it.

I've been a dental assistant(EFDA)for 11 yrs, and I've taught dental assisting for 4 yrs. The most I love about the teaching position is seeing my graduating class walk across the stage in their cap and gowns to receive their diploma. I gives me a sence of " I really helped these students make a better life for themselves and there families. What I'm trying to say is sometimes its not all about the money, but its the skill that you embedded in these peoples lives to better themselves and to have long career in dentistry, and you MUST have a passion for dentistry or else its wont be worth it.Dentistry is definetly not for everyone. It takes a special person who shows compassion and cares about the patient and their needs. You must be a people person for this profession because the patients have the tendency to ask the assistant more questions than the dentist when the dentist is not in the treatment room.As a dental assistant you have to be proactive and really get involved(no room for shyness in this profession), educating the patient is key thing to remember as a member of the dental team.You got to know how to handle critisism from the dentist, sometimes don't take things personal because it will affect you and your work performance on the job.You always got to make sure that your room is entirely set up and sterilized(REMEMBER UNIVERSAL Precautions) for the procedure. I live in Florida the salaries are loweer compared to northern states. An experienced dental assistant instructor can make anywhere from 16-22/hr depending on where the technical school is located. Fortlauderdale, Miami pays a little better. Good luck to everyone who is wishing to persue a career in dental assisting or dental hygiene$$$$. You are entering a career with endless opportunities. I am happy I made this choice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

gwinns_surf@suddenlink.net in Beckley, West Virginia

73 months ago

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey said: thanks for the info. I just feel funny asking the school what's the salary rate.A lot of times they'll tell you,depends on your experience. Maybe somebody out there who's been one can tell me more abt. it.

Dear Josie in Lebanon,

Hi. I see you are struggling to just get some simple info. It is a jungle out there.

Here is a web site that will help you find the general salary range for any area in US & Canada. Also, you can use their search engine to view some available dental assistant jobs in your area, and even apply on line for them. Have your resume ready if you apply. I haven't made up my new resume, and will put that off as long as possible. Resume building is not my cup of tea. You will love working in the dental health field. I assisted for 20 plus years. I am cross trained in the lab and business areas also. I am getting ready to start temping in the Washington DC area after 6 or so years out of denistry. As a temp I can go and come as I want or need, and my main focus right now is to get away and watch my son play college football any time I want.

Contact me if I can answer any more questions, or help you in any way. Do let me know how your search goes. You will love working in dental health. Here is the link that will help you:

www.indeed.com/salary

Good Luck to you.
Joyce Gwinn
gwinns_surf@suddenlink.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

gwinns_surf@suddenlink.net in Beckley, West Virginia

73 months ago

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey said: thanks for the info. I just feel funny asking the school what's the salary rate.A lot of times they'll tell you,depends on your experience. Maybe somebody out there who's been one can tell me more abt. it.

Ok Josie,
I just saw your orginal email. From the one above that I saw first, I thought you were a new dental assistant starting out.

The link I sent you: www.indeed.com/salary

might have some info, and if not links to other dental auxilary web sites.

You can call the State Dental Society in your area and ask them about salary range. If they can't give you the information, they certainly have the resources to direct you. While I am surfing the web looking at the jobs in DC, MD METRO area, I will see if I see any info that will help you, and post it here. Ck back in a few days. Good Luck, Joyce Gwinn

natalie

72 months ago

HI
hOW DID U BECOME A TEACHER? WHERE DO U TEACH? IS THERE A WEBSITE FOR THE MATERIAL. dENTAL HYG. WANT TO START DENTAL ASST SCHOOL. PLEASE REPLY BACK.

Carol in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I teach dental assisting in Pennsylvania where salaries are typically lower. I started 7 years ago at 32,000 and now make a little over 50,000. It can be a very rewarding job but I could have never done this when I had small children. I take work home with me every night and there is no flexibility in your schedule or your life. You have to do it for the love of dentistry.

lina in Denver, Colorado

63 months ago

nooooooooooo job for dental assistant in az the last year ,god i need your help i have been assistant for 13 years lab teck back round i love dentistry but in Az they get red of you eazy...we are worth nothing for them they could replace us with no resean what is next god ican support my family any more ,i try to go back to school i have not recive any panny for a whole year ,i'm losing my life and no once in this country to support our children nooooooooooo jobs

Belle in Pleasant Grove, Alabama

58 months ago

I am looking for a Dental Assisting teaching job .30 years experience plus teaching experience with BS Degree in Educational Service. Will relocated with some assist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDA Instructor in Whittier, California

55 months ago

Jennifer in Placentia, California said: Oh ok you need your lisc. I already have that. I just need a job now. :) I haven't worked in an office for a couple of years. I just make more money as a server sad to say so I am doing that instead. I am a teacher's aide at my old dental assisting school as well though. Do you think that would count?

Hi Jennifer, I have been reading about your questions and thought I'd jump in there and give you a little more advice. If you plan on teaching at a community college, the criteria that Molly gave you is correct although the experience is 5yrs in California. If you want to teach at a private school like Everest college, UEI, etc. your eligibility requirements are not as demanding. It's a great way to get into the teaching field. Your current experience in dental assisting instruction is always helpful. There is always something to learn and it never stops. Most teaching positions at private campuses like the ones mentioned are average about $20 an hour but there is usually a lot of room for advancement. In California at the community college level it is between $55-$67 an hour depending on the community campus you get into. Be advised that it is not easy to get into at community colleges and you will most likely be working part time for quite awhile. If it is something that you enjoy, the wait will be all worthwhile.

Jillian22 in Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Hello,
Im 25 and Ive been a dental assistant for 5 years now and I love everything about my job, but I've realized what i would love even more is to become a dental assistant instructor and help students fullfill there dreams in becoming a dental assistant, I enjoy teaching people new things and i would be a great opportunity for me!! My question is how would I go about this?? Would I have to go to school for it or if you have enough expierence in the field would i beable to just intern somewhere and start without schooling?? Someone please help me!
Thanks Jillian

josie in Flemington, New Jersey

55 months ago

you just have to be a RDA and you can teach; we're thinking of starting a Dental assisting school, it's still in the planning process, still working on the documents to obtain a license, but it would be great to get your contact info, we might need an extra instructor down the road.

Jessica Fi in Clifton, New Jersey

54 months ago

Please tell me about any GOOD DENTAL SCHOOLS CLOSE TO DOVER,NJ -----I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE IT

54 months ago

I'm not familiar with Dover, but you can get a list of dental assisting school. I think I got one from either ADA or Dept. of Labor. Hope this helps!

Georgina in Jamaica, New York

54 months ago

Hi I was wondering does it matter if you have a Buisiness Management degree?

Nicole in Portland, Oregon

53 months ago

Jennifer in Fullerton, California said: how do you become a teacher? i only know how to become a RDA teacher in vocational school. what about at a comm. college?

Get your CDA from DANB, and a Bachelors Degree...thats what I did! Now Im a an instructor and I love it! But, it is alot of work!

Belle in Fairfield, Alabama

52 months ago

josie in Flemington, New Jersey said: you just have to be a RDA and you can teach; we're thinking of starting a Dental assisting school, it's still in the planning process, still working on the documents to obtain a license, but it would be great to get your contact info, we might need an extra instructor down the road.

Have you started you school yet?

52 months ago

no not yet, i had to put it on hold but will pick it up after the summer.

Belle in Fairfield, Alabama

52 months ago

josie in Flemington, New Jersey said: no not yet, i had to put it on hold but will pick it up after the summer.

will, you keep my informed I would like to know how you are doing. Good luck......

Karen in Hillsborough, New Jersey

51 months ago

josie in Flemington, New Jersey said: you just have to be a RDA and you can teach; we're thinking of starting a Dental assisting school, it's still in the planning process, still working on the documents to obtain a license, but it would be great to get your contact info, we might need an extra instructor down the road.

HI! I have been a CDA/EFDA since 1984. I learned dental assisting on the job starting in 1982 and worked my way up to the above credentials. I just graduated with my Bachelors of Arts degree in business management and I would love to be a dental assisting instructor. I am interested in the program you mentioned and would love it if you would contact me.

lj in Bluefield, West Virginia

51 months ago

I am planning on taking classes thru Pennfoster for Dental Assisting. It says it is a Career Diploma. I was wondering how good a Career Diploma is? Is it worth doing just for that? Is it a good thing to have to get hired or do they just look over that like its nothing?

vero in Coachella, California

49 months ago

RDA Instructor in Whittier, California said: Hi Jennifer, I have been reading about your questions and thought I'd jump in there and give you a little more advice. If you plan on teaching at a community college , the criteria that Molly gave you is correct although the experience is 5yrs in California. If you want to teach at a private school like Everest college, UEI, etc. your eligibility requirements are not as demanding. It's a great way to get into the teaching field. Your current experience in dental assisting instruction is always helpful. There is always something to learn and it never stops. Most teaching positions at private campuses like the ones mentioned are average about $20 an hour but there is usually a lot of room for advancement. In California at the community college level it is between $55-$67 an hour depending on the community campus you get into. Be advised that it is not easy to get into at community colleges and you will most likely be working part time for quite awhile. If it is something that you enjoy, the wait will be all worthwhile.

hi i just had an interview at a trade skool i would really love the rda instructor position but i am kinda nervous iv never tot b4 but i used to do candle parties in front of audience i have been in dental for 10 yrs and im now 29yrs old im not a super bubly person but i get a long with everybody i love dental and i feel it would be a promotion to teach wat i know i also have a 2 yr old and want to have more kids now i love spending time with my family but i know i still have to work and im in the rite field ...my question is as far as yor opinion being in taching do u think im too yong or 10yrs not enof or wod it really take too much time from my family?????.... i would imagine it wodnt b as stressful as tiring as it wod b in the field i feel it wold actually b nice to sit bak and now teach (i short cut on some my spelling as u can c..)thanx vg

celsius in Largo, Florida

49 months ago

Hello fellow dental seekers. Ive been a Certified DA for 9 years and i'm looking to teach at a local tech,vocational or institute. I was thinking that the pay would be about the same as i'm making now,16/hr. but i'm going ask for a little more. I'm a very serious dental assistant and take pride in my work. I do not support DA schools that are less than 12mo. so if you are interested in becoming a DA do your reasearch at some private schools that have finincial aid and offer job placement. Good luck to all and thank you to all who have posted. your comments have been very helpful.

Denise in Sanford, North Carolina

49 months ago

I need to come work in New Jersey. I have never heard of a Dental Assistant making 55-70K! YOU GO!

kara in Shirley, New York

48 months ago

Denise in Sanford, North Carolina said: I need to come work in New Jersey. I have never heard of a Dental Assistant making 55-70K! YOU GO!

Me either, i make good money, & dont even make close to that!!

Ken in Union City, New Jersey

47 months ago

Karen in Hillsborough, New Jersey said: HI! I have been a CDA/EFDA since 1984. I learned dental assisting on the job starting in 1982 and worked my way up to the above credentials. I just graduated with my Bachelors of Arts degree in business management and I would love to be a dental assisting instructor. I am interested in the program you mentioned and would love it if you would contact me.

Good Evening -- I am the program director of a WIA funded Dental Assistant Training Class located in Manhattan and am in dire need of hiring an Instructor for my classroom. The position is contracted and the schedule for training is only 3 to 4 days per week. I'm looking over every form of possible recruitment and found this page and your post. If you (or anyone for that matter) residing in the NYC area are interested in more information I would be more than happy to supply. Weird, but hopefully efficient. The pay is average for instructors...but the duties/job is very rewarding.

Ken

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hi in Jackson Heights, New York

46 months ago

Hi Kem ,How to contact you for this job?

Ken in Union City, New Jersey said: Good Evening -- I am the program director of a WIA funded Dental Assistant Training Class located in Manhattan and am in dire need of hiring an Instructor for my classroom. The position is contracted and the schedule for training is only 3 to 4 days per week. I'm looking over every form of possible recruitment and found this page and your post. If you (or anyone for that matter) residing in the NYC area are interested in more information I would be more than happy to supply. Weird, but hopefully efficient. The pay is average for instructors...but the duties/job is very rewarding.

Ken

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.