Dental Assistant qualities

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Emily in Appleton, Wisconsin

30 months ago

I'm currently considering a career in dental assisting. However, in my research I'm seeing that good manual dexerity is a key quality for dental assisting. I don't have good manual dexterity, and I was wondering if I could still be good at the job without good manual dexerity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Norma in Lakeside, California

29 months ago

Emily in Appleton, Wisconsin said: I'm currently considering a career in dental assisting. However, in my research I'm seeing that good manual dexerity is a key quality for dental assisting. I don't have good manual dexterity, and I was wondering if I could still be good at the job without good manual dexerity.

No. You must be able to pass instruments without dropping them. Grabbing instruments with your pinky and sometimes holding more that 1 instrument in hand. A smooth flow is necessary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DonnaJean in Buffalo, New York

29 months ago

Yes Emily,manual dexterity is an absolute must! Confident instrument passing,as well as adequate retraction of tongue and cheek are irreplaceable. If a DDS knows he can hand something off to you in one hand,while you are setting up your tray with the other is a skill that will get you hired in no time. Multi tasking is the key to efficiency,which is the element of a great dental assistant!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.