Intern/Extern at the office?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Emmy in Deltona, Florida

50 months ago

This happened to me and I'm truly discouraged at this point I can't find anyone willing to give me training..they just become really agitated w/ me and its so depressing...I will be switching to Medical Assisting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dentalGURU2009 in Walworth, Wisconsin

50 months ago

This is too bad really. Practices have to realize it's a training process not just an opportunity for a free temp.

I know there will be 'growing pains' but it's a give and take.
Sorry u were sold short. Thats not good!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mercedes in New Braunfels, Texas

48 months ago

i am now n school for all this an im a bit scaresd im not gething it at all ive been school for about a mth mth now :0

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

iloveteeth in Sacramento, California

48 months ago

At our office we appreciate the help of Externs and Interns but could not imagine using them for free labor. That just doesnt seem practical to me and most of the offices around us feel the same way. I think it says a lot about the offices too. Having a new assistant who is unexperiences in the office causes a small amount of chaos so you have to slow things down and help them to make sure they receive the extra attention. We take a few a year to help but it isnt easy for our office but we know it is such a huge help. The befenfit about not getting payed at least here in CA is that you can do RDA functions as an extern. It is worth the non payment to some people. I think they should make more reules for the externs' office to help with these problems. Goodluck ladies!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ROSEGOTAY in Tampa, Florida

39 months ago

DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF A GOOD DENTAL OFFICE I CAN DO MY EXTERNSHIP AT IN TAMPA FL? IM AT ONE OFFICE AND THEY DONT TEACH ME ANY THING, I WOULD LOVE TO B AT A PLACE WHERE ITS CLEAN AND I CAN LEARN ALOT OF HANDS ON.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

trooper in Pensacola, Florida

35 months ago

i totally agree with dentalguru, i am currently an extern student and the office that i was positionded is so unprofessional, let me start of by saying i felt as if they were using me for free labor, i would be used to set up and brake down rooms while the assistants sat at the fornt desk gossiping about the patients. oh and lets not forget that the first week i was there the one of the assistants locked me in the processing room ON PURPOSE!,got a note pad thrown at me,and i was not walked through any prosedures, honestly i think that they took advantage of my option to learn more about becoming an assistant,the worst part of this whole ordeal is that i went into there office willing to learn and the fact that nobody was willing to teach me is sad. but hey im walking with my head held up high and i sill have the disier to be a dental assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Deidra in Chandler, Arizona

35 months ago

trooper in Pensacola, Florida said: i totally agree with dentalguru, i am currently an extern student and the office that i was positioned is so unprofessional, let me start of by saying i felt as if they were using me for free labor, i would be used to set up and brake down rooms while the assistants sat at the front desk gossiping about the patients. oh and lets not forget that the first week i was there the one of the assistants locked me in the processing room ON PURPOSE!,got a note pad thrown at me,and i was not walked through any procedures, honestly i think that they took advantage of my option to learn more about becoming an assistant,the worst part of this whole ordeal is that i went into there office willing to learn and the fact that nobody was willing to teach me is sad. but hey I'm walking with my head held up high and i sill have the desire to be a dental assistant .

OMG, more power to you, I've been out of dental assisting for a year because i choose to go back to being a homemaker, but I find it very hard getting back into it. I want to find a Dental Assistant study buddy who might still be in school or externship while things are fresh. In my area, or for phone support, Oh my goodness I need a leg up, anyone out there feel free to check out my web page myspace.com/dweyisdirea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DentAsstLASVEGAS in Las Vegas, Nevada

24 months ago

I had a shocking outcome at my extern site. I had refused to do something I knew was illegal and itwas unethical. so after that the lead assistant hated me. well she called in one day and me and the other girl were slammed. we didnt even get a real lunch more like 10 min break, but I sat chair side with the doctor about 8 times that day. I knew i had what it takes to be a DA after that and the doctor was givin me high fives. I assisted more and more after tHAT and the lead girl couldnt stand it. When I had 10 hours left the doctor wrote me a letter of recommendation that was awesome but strangley the office manager had my site coordinator imform me that I needed to finish else where becuz they felt i was not competent to go into the field. Hello the doctor said and I quote" I would recommend( ____)for employment in any area of dentistry." But because of her it almost cost me a years work, $11000 in loans, and my self steam to boot. But In a way Im still glad I was there because I got a chance to learn a lot from a great doctor and I dont even think he knew what the manager had done. Externs should be sent out in pairs becauseit was my word qagainst theirs and my word sadly wasnt worth much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jkontra1492 in Brunswick, Ohio

23 months ago

DentAsstLASVEGAS in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I had a shocking outcome at my extern site. I had refused to do something I knew was illegal and itwas unethical. so after that the lead assistant hated me. well she called in one day and me and the other girl were slammed. we didnt even get a real lunch more like 10 min break, but I sat chair side with the doctor about 8 times that day. I knew i had what it takes to be a DA after that and the doctor was givin me high fives. I assisted more and more after tHAT and the lead girl couldnt stand it. When I had 10 hours left the doctor wrote me a letter of recommendation that was awesome but strangley the office manager had my site coordinator imform me that I needed to finish else where becuz they felt i was not competent to go into the field. Hello the doctor said and I quote" I would recommend( ____)for employment in any area of dentistry." But because of her it almost cost me a years work, $11000 in loans, and my self steam to boot. But In a way Im still glad I was there because I got a chance to learn a lot from a great doctor and I dont even think he knew what the manager had done. Externs should be sent out in pairs becauseit was my word qagainst theirs and my word sadly wasnt worth much.

Were you able to finish your externship somewhere else? Also you needed to inform your school that they were asking you to do something unethical. And then go directly to the doctor that you were working with, they may not be aware of what the lead assistant is/was doing. After all it is practice that is at stake in the end. Even if your externship has expired, please write him a letter thanking him/her for the opportunity to learn. And also include a side note at the bottom as an FYI.Hope this helped, and I'm sorry you had to scramble at the last minute to finish your externship.

BornFree in Henderson, Nevada

14 months ago

Hi, I'm currently attending a Dental Assistant program in Las Vegas. What dental office did you extern at? I defiantly want to avoid that place.

DentAsstLASVEGAS in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I had a shocking outcome at my extern site. I had refused to do something I knew was illegal and itwas unethical. so after that the lead assistant hated me. well she called in one day and me and the other girl were slammed. we didnt even get a real lunch more like 10 min break, but I sat chair side with the doctor about 8 times that day. I knew i had what it takes to be a DA after that and the doctor was givin me high fives. I assisted more and more after tHAT and the lead girl couldnt stand it. When I had 10 hours left the doctor wrote me a letter of recommendation that was awesome but strangley the office manager had my site coordinator imform me that I needed to finish else where becuz they felt i was not competent to go into the field. Hello the doctor said and I quote" I would recommend( ____)for employment in any area of dentistry." But because of her it almost cost me a years work, $11000 in loans, and my self steam to boot. But In a way Im still glad I was there because I got a chance to learn a lot from a great doctor and I dont even think he knew what the manager had done. Externs should be sent out in pairs becauseit was my word qagainst theirs and my word sadly wasnt worth much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reeson47 in Provo, Utah

13 months ago

My niece wants to intern at a <a href="fernandodentistry.com/about-us/our-team/">dentist</a> office in Brampton this summer. I really hope she learns something and has a good experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

socal_robin90 in Colton, California

6 months ago

I am currently going on week 3 of my externship at a private dental practice in Redlands and I love it! What you have to understand is that EVERY dental office is different. Please don't get discouraged. The doctor made it known that my externship was simply going to be practice. I break down the rooms, sterlize instruments, set up trays, and develop x-rays. I'm not too good at taking x-rays so the people that work there are helping me out with that. You have to let it be known that you want to learn the way they do things there cause every office is different. I got lucky I guess.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.