Is there a demand for RDAEF's?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Kathy in Orlando, Florida

60 months ago

Lora, I agree. It's a good idea. I was on dentist's forum yesterday. Some of them think,they would let assistants to do it. However, it's just an idea now. If they accept it, I think, not in all the States.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Sunnyvale, California

60 months ago

Kathy in Orlando, Florida said: Lora, I agree. It's a good idea. I was on dentist's forum yesterday. Some of them think,they would let assistants to do it. However, it's just an idea now. If they accept it, I think, not in all the States.

Kathy, new duties have been added for RDAEF's since January,1 2010 in CA. Now they can place and finish all sorts of restorations, adjust and cement permanent crowns. Also they can pack retraction cord, take final impressions etc. These are old duties for general denistry. There are some other things for specialties.

There are only 3 or 4 accreditated schools in CA. In order to take classes you need to bring a dentist for some of them and 5 crown prep patients.

The cost is app. 14K for 6-8 months of study.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Orlando, Florida

60 months ago

Thank you, Lora, for this information. I'm very appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sherry Rosen in Canoga Park, California

58 months ago

I am looking for any RDAEF2 persons, even if they are only enrolled in the new program. My email is SherrySFV@yahoo.com. I agree, total compensation is probably in the $30-40 range, depending upon geographical location. The northern bay area of California seems to be paying higher than some areas of southern California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ofie rabara in Sacramento, California

57 months ago

chente in Ontario, California said: I'm a rdaef, and i feel really great to help people everyday. But when other people like rda's or da going out of there way to do somthing elegal just to please the doctor. In reality there are doing damage to other people's job in a way that's under pay by many dentist. Dr's. know how to get more for less and trust me they will do it to you too.

look and think don't do it.?

I AGREE W/ YOU..DON'T DO!!!STAY OUT OF TROUBLE..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Argentina Uriarte in Antioch, California

56 months ago

I'M RDA-EF IM LOKING FOR FULL OR PART-TIME POSICION I HAVE OVER TEN YEARS EXPERIECE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Argentina Uriarte in Antioch, California

56 months ago

IM LOOKING RDAEF POSICION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

dela in Fresno, California

54 months ago

Lora in Sunnyvale, California said: Kathy, new duties have been added for RDAEF's since January,1 2010 in CA. Now they can place and finish all sorts of restorations, adjust and cement permanent crowns. Also they can pack retraction cord, take final impressions etc. These are old duties for general denistry. There are some other things for specialties.

There are only 3 or 4 accreditated schools in CA. In order to take classes you need to bring a dentist for some of them and 5 crown prep patients.

right, but the new duties will cost too, just to do them. twice as much as the original RDAEF license. dont do what ur not licensed to even if ur an (old)EF. u r not "grandfathered in"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Los Angeles, California

51 months ago

Hey, I want to take the RDAEF class but my dentist isn't willing to come with me. Any suggestions on how to find a substitute dentist for the Expanded Duties program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Riverside, California

50 months ago

Im and RDAEF, Got my license in 1995. Over 18 years of dental assiting experience. Since I became an EF, I have Yet to be paid as an EF. I live in Southern CA in the San Bernardino Mtn. Possibly due to my location. My current pay is $17.00- Hardly any bonus due to bad economy. If I had to do over again, I probably would not of gotten my EF. I would of gone for Front Office! I say that partly because Im almost 40 now, and the career has been hard on my body and fast pace. Front Office still gets paid better than I do and I see one of the girls go back and forth, so she gets the joy of back office from time to time, but has more energy at the end of the day from staying up front. I love denistry, I love what I do. I still believe that if you do what you like the money will come. Im just waiting for that second part, Lord willing it will come one day. PS if you have a awesome dr willing to pay for your EF,-Go For IT! I know there are still some good DR's out there!! God Bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Allie in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

Sherry Rosen in Canoga Park, California said: I am looking for any RDAEF2 persons, even if they are only enrolled in the new program. My email is SherrySFV@yahoo.com. I agree, total compensation is probably in the $30-40 range, depending upon geographical location. The northern bay area of California seems to be paying higher than some areas of southern California.

Hi my name is Allie and I'm a RDA and going to start the program october 1, 2011 for a RDAEF2, and are you looking for a RDAEF2....?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

integrityprocera@gmail.com in Monterey Park, California

46 months ago

Sherry Rosen in Canoga Park, California said: I am looking for any RDAEF2 persons, even if they are only enrolled in the new program. My email is SherrySFV@yahoo.com. I agree, total compensation is probably in the $30-40 range, depending upon geographical location. The northern bay area of California seems to be paying higher than some areas of southern California.

Dear Sherry, Did you happen to find an RDAEF or two? I am looking for someone also. Would you be able to be of help to me to get in touch with anyone that is an RDAEF? Thank you! Jan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

integrityprocera@gmail.com in Monterey Park, California

46 months ago

chente in Ontario, California said: I'm a rdaef, and i feel really great to help people everyday. But when other people like rda's or da going out of there way to do somthing elegal just to please the doctor. In reality there are doing damage to other people's job in a way that's under pay by many dentist. Dr's. know how to get more for less and trust me they will do it to you too.

look and think don't do it.?

I'm looking for an RDAEF, would you please contact me so we can talk? Thank you, Jan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

alyssa murphy mission veijo in Mission Viejo, California

46 months ago

hi my name is alyssa. im really confused. im a DA awaiting the RDA test in november. i did want to go to concord to do hygeine but it is going to take awhile for me to get in there. sooo my friend katie said we could make up to 40 an hour as a EF? but im really hoping this is the right desicion? i live in orange county so maybe if i was a EF i could be useful in cosmetic dentistry???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roger R in Downey, California

46 months ago

I am currently an RDA and i think that it will take some time(3-5yrs) to be accepted by dentist. I also think that due to the economy not to many dentist business are doing too well so as the economy recovers then they are more likely to to pay more for someone's abilities (RDAEF2). another idea of mine is that it is verry well worth the investment,, in the future there will be a stronger demand and maybe it will be more dificult to enter in a EF2 program as the way it is in RDH programs NOW!!! and another thing i am currently attending EF2 program at Fullerton (www.efdaaservices.com) check it out only ten students. more of a private one on one teaching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

justhorsinrond41@aol.com in Pleasant Hill, California

45 months ago

Norina del rosario in Los Angeles, California said: I'm an RDA looking to expand my knowledge. I too was wondering if going to the six weeks of schooling and paying almost $3000 to take the practical would be worth it. Anyway i have almost eleven years of experience on all aspect of dentistry...i want to know if there is a demand for it?

I am an RDA in the bay area for almost 20yrs now and I would love to become an ef etc... however for the sum of $11,800 is a little steep at this time and there prob. are not many dentist out there willing to pay you what they should and what your worth. Oh sure they would love to have an expanded duties assistant and let you do all your trained to do but without the pay that goes with it. I have yet to find one that will pay an RDA what they are worth let's face it, assistants do the lion's share of the work in the back office we work hard!!!! We should do what the hyg. did years ago and stand up as a group and demand more money!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

Hi. My name is nancy and I am RDAEF2 since September 2010. I am currently employed but not happy with the pay and looking for a place higher pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roger R. in Downey, California

45 months ago

by the way I am paying for this class myself. And It Is A BIG Sacrafice that I strongly believe in. An education always is; especially if it gets you respect and acknowlegement in the dental community. for those who get paid penuts, strive to learn from doctors and other assistants in the longrun it makes you better and when the time comes you are that much stronger in the dental community Doctors like an assistant the can back up what you say and therfore they will pay more. afterall it is the dentist licence on the line when you work for a dentist. for those who have reached the ceiling. Teach or start a business, But always move UP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bsummer16 in Chino, California

42 months ago

Lora in Sunnyvale, California said: Kathy, new duties have been added for RDAEF's since January,1 2010 in CA. Now they can place and finish all sorts of restorations, adjust and cement permanent crowns. Also they can pack retraction cord, take final impressions etc. These are old duties for general denistry. There are some other things for specialties.

How do I find out which schools are acredited???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDAEF in El Paso, Texas

40 months ago

Hello, i am RDA more then 1 years. Now i like to be RDAEF, so i dont know how to start, and what i need for this in TX. Thank you for any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gerard thai in West Hollywood, California

40 months ago

I'm an RDAEF with 23 years in the dental assisting field and I'm finding it VERY difficult to find a dentist willing to pay for the duties I perform. In my current office, I pack cord, take impressions, and make temporaries. I can whip out an almost perfect FMX in less than 10 minutes using only a snap-a-ray and a red bitewing holder. I have to help in the front as well and it took me months to convince the person in front to use the computer to schedule patients. (she was very reluctant to give up her paper schedule). My last employer before this paid me $31.40/hour plus (medical insurance) to do these same duties but I lost that job after being out for too long recouping from neck surgery. I took what I could get and that was a measly $20 per hour with no benefits and I work 44 hours per week. Any help out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

queen in El Paso, Texas

40 months ago

gerard thai in West Hollywood, California said: I'm an RDAEF with 23 years in the dental assisting field and I'm finding it VERY difficult to find a dentist willing to pay for the duties I perform. In my current office, I pack cord, take impressions, and make temporaries. I can whip out an almost perfect FMX in less than 10 minutes using only a snap-a-ray and a red bitewing holder. I have to help in the front as well and it took me months to convince the person in front to use the computer to schedule patients. (she was very reluctant to give up her paper schedule). My last employer before this paid me $31.40/hour plus (medical insurance) to do these same duties but I lost that job after being out for too long recouping from neck surgery. I took what I could get and that was a measly $20 per hour with no benefits and I work 44 hours per week. Any help out there?

Ye mam, thank you for you replay, this is help to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDA, No. Calif.

38 months ago

Jane in Los Angeles, California said: Hey, I want to take the RDAEF class but my dentist isn't willing to come with me. Any suggestions on how to find a substitute dentist for the Expanded Duties program?

I am in that same boat. Been a RDA for almost 30 yrs. Wanted to expand for many years but no dr. would then nor now be willing to meet me, go with me so I am THEN UNABLE TO EXPAND . If i were them... would i AGREE to spend many weekends away from family & have to pay for a hotel room.
Are there No schools that already have dentists there to fill this common gap? All Please respond .s my

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

rogr2000 in San Clemente, California

38 months ago

bsummer16 in Chino, California said: How do I find out which schools are acredited???

go to the dental board of california website (DBC.CA.GOV)

www.dbc.ca.gov/applicants/rda/courses_rdaef_approved.shtml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Espy in San Gabriel, California

38 months ago

Hi everyone.. I am currently an RDA and am looking to attend UCLA for the RDAEF program. I dont know if I should invest so much money and time into a new career and not know what they are paying out there.. Does anyone know what is being paid in or around the Long Beach area? Also can someone give me advice as to what I should ask for. I have only had a few months experience as an RDA and the Dr. I am currently with wants me to further my career as an RDAEF. Any help would be great!
Thank you :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Marina in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

Norina del rosario in Los Angeles, California said: I'm an RDA looking to expand my knowledge. I too was wondering if going to the six weeks of schooling and paying almost $3000 to take the practical would be worth it. Anyway i have almost eleven years of experience on all aspect of dentistry...i want to know if there is a demand for it?

Hi Norina, unfortunately we have not been recognized yet, and alots of dr don even know about us; especially in the low imcome area. I have been an RDAEF for more than ten years and its sad to know that doctors do not recognized the effort we make to leave our family, pay, go to school, and work at the same time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDAEF II in San Bernardino, California

25 months ago

I am a RDAEF II and am currently employed but my skills aren't being utilized. Is there a demand in the SoCal area for someone with my skill set? Also that is willing to pay well for them? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marina in Garden Grove, California

24 months ago

My name is Marina Uriostegui and have over 20years of experience. I obtained my EF in year 2000, and my EF2 last year; and ever since I have had no luck with this position and have not find a Dr who can utilized my duties.
My e-mail: sofa30@netzero.net
If you are interested I will be glad to send you my resume and or set up and appoitment for interview.
Thank you Marina Uriotegui RDAEF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.