RDA exam in southern california.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Luna6887 in Commerce, California

107 months ago

hi you guys.

I'm currently going to everest college to become a DA. I will be applying for the RDA exam.

How many questions are on the exam? Are the northern california and southern california exams the same? what should i study after i get out of school? what will i do in the practical?

and i read on another thread that i should do my livescan fingerprints BEFORE i apply... should i clear my fingerprints before applying?

thanks.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

yeseniaestrada01@*****.*** in San Diego, California

106 months ago

Luna6887 in Commerce, California said: hi you guys.

I'm currently going to everest college to become a DA. I will be applying for the RDA exam.

How many questions are on the exam? Are the northern california and southern california exams the same? what should i study after i get out of school? what will i do in the practical?

and i read on another thread that i should do my livescan fingerprints BEFORE i apply... should i clear my fingerprints before applying?

thanks.

Everest College should be able to answer all your questions. On the practicle test you will make a temporary crown on tooth #8 and a temporary filling (IRM) on tooth #19. The writen test is a little harder just because the questions you might be studing are probably not going to be the same as on your test. You see the writen test is just like at the DMV they have multiple exams not just one. As far as continuing to study, definately! Once you become an RDA you have to continue with your CE courses (Continuing Education, 25 units every 2 years. I hope I've been some help,and if you have any other questions you can look up on www. comda.org or google american dental assosiation both these websites should have info. you are looking for.Good Luck!

Reply - Report abuse

Giant Dog 2100 in Long Beach, California

106 months ago

im currently a da from Concorde Career Class of 2000 and i just lost a prime new job at a office that wsa state of the art in all procedures. me being a top notch da i figured my position was solid but the DDS wanted a RDA and I never really needed my RDA because i had great pay at all my dental jobs ! Point is go get that RDA because you'll lose out if not qualified properly.

Reply - Report abuse

carla.brown@*****.*** in Chula Vista, California

106 months ago

I have two children and im changing careers from school bus driver to dental assistant. Will finding a job as a dental assitant be very hard and what is my pay rate?

Reply - Report abuse

dannessataylor@*****.*** in Fresno, California

106 months ago

carla.brown@cox.com in Chula Vista, California said: I have two children and im changing careers from school bus driver to dental assistant. Will finding a job as a dental assitant be very hard and what is my pay rate?

Being a DA is a needed field. Just make sure that when you finish getting your DA go for your RDA right away. Many people figure that they dont need to go for the RDA but it only benefits you and gives you way more opportunities. There are many different fields an RDA can be implimented where as a DA is not.

Reply - Report abuse

janwg in San Luis Obispo, California

98 months ago

I'd like to buy your California RDA study guide/review guide if you already took a review course and no longer need the book.

I already have Dental Assisting experience from NJ and OH, and have already passed the practical exam. Now, all I need is to take the computer exam.

Let me know if I can buy your book, please!

Reply - Report abuse

FABBY in Los Angeles, California

98 months ago

HI I HAVE BEEN A DA FOR 3 YRS AND NOW AM GOING TO TAKE MY RDA CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW HWTA ARE THE STEPS TO DO SO AS IN WHO DO I CONTACT? ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE A RDA STUDY GUIDE YOU MAY NOT NEED ANYMORE >>> IM WILLING TO BUY IT OFF OF YOU<< PLEASE EMAIL ME PRECIOUS_CLOVER1@YAHOO.COM
THNX SO MUCH =)

Reply - Report abuse

98 months ago

janwg in San Luis Obispo, California said: I'd like to buy your California RDA study guide/review guide if you already took a review course and no longer need the book.

I already have Dental Assisting experience from NJ and OH, and have already passed the practical exam. Now, all I need is to take the computer exam.

Let me know if I can buy your book, please!

i have some study questions. the total says 540-something, but there are some that have been cut to update the questions. i'm selling it for $35. email me at luna6887@gmail.com

:)

Reply - Report abuse

krishnathomas in Hesperia, California

97 months ago

Hi, I'm a recent graduate from Everest College and would like any information on getting my RDA (where to go, web-site, cost). Yes, my school is suposed to help me but I keep getting the run-a-round. Thank you for your time and effort.

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

Krishna Thomas in Hesperia, California said: Hi, I'm a recent graduate from Everest College and would like any information on getting my RDA (where to go, web-site, cost). Yes, my school is suposed to help me but I keep getting the run-a-round. Thank you for your time and effort.

hi! i graduated from Everest College. and i just received my license on thursday! :)

ok... so go here: www.dbc.ca.gov/applicants/rda/becomelicensed_rda.shtml

go under examniations... it doesn't have the application available yet.

:)

Reply - Report abuse

chelle in La Quinta, California

83 months ago

I'm currently going to school for dental assisting in CA. What are the steps after I complete this course to becoming an RDA? Can I take the courses immediately just to get them out of the way? And, what are the courses that I need to take? I believe you need 15 months experience in a dental setting before you can take the exam, but can you take the courses first just to get them out of the way?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

melodee d.a in Winnetka, California

83 months ago

Luna6887 in Commerce, California said: hi you guys.

thanks.

I went to Everest and they should be able to answer all of that for you if your lucky to have a good teacher/mentor unfortunately Everest and U.E.I etc. are horrible schools they say they will walk you through everything even get you a job but what i found out after graduating was that they don't do any of that the dental assisting programs are the most expensive that those schools have to offer but actually they are the easiest to get without going to school for it what they don't tell their students is that they can get the x-ray license on your own and a doctor can do the paperwork for you to get your R.D.A but thats only if a doctor is willing to go out of his way to rep you and teach you everything another thing they don't teach you is everything is hands on that little lab they have wont cut it you need to be fast and the Dental Offices that ask for dental assistants are only looking for free labor, this is expected in your externship or they hire you but you don't get paid 15 like they promise when you graduate and if they do pay you that much it's because you have 3 to 4 yrs under your belt or if your an R.D.A and to make things much more exciting you get no vacation time or sick pay much less health ins. here is the link hopefully this helps www.dbc.ca.gov/applicants/rda/becomelicensed_rda.shtml also you can email me megancohen51@yahoo.com it's sad how these corporate schoolstake advantage of single moms but i hope anything i posted helps you.

Reply - Report abuse

melodee d.a in Winnetka, California

83 months ago

carla.brown@cox.com in Chula Vista, California said: I have two children and im changing careers from school bus driver to dental assistant. Will finding a job as a dental assitant be very hard and what is my pay rate?

i have been doing it for four years yes it will be hard finding a job it's hectic the pay rate sucks it can range from 10 to 18 an hour some doctors wont pay overtime because they want to make as much as they can in one day without spending as much as they can no sick pay vacation pay or holidays and before you get into debt with a school that isn't worth it dental assistants do all the dirty work to this day i have not found a good doctor to work for in my opinion there are more shady doctors than there are good trustworthy doctors and i wish i could have just gone to school to become a hygienist because that is a good career if your going into the dental field or the insurance and billing or treatment plan coordinating. remember you will have to work with blood saliva and on hep c and H.I.V patients etc. which there is nothing wrong with that but you would have to ask yourself if it's something you want to do and in the beginning you wont get paid a lot but if your really interested in becoming a D.A there are options without you spending $15,000 in a school that won't help you i would be happy to give you advice my email is megancohen51@yahoo.com times are hard keep the job you have if it's paying your bills. and do your research before taking a big leap.

Reply - Report abuse

OC Dental Academy in Ladera Ranch, California

82 months ago

chelle in La Quinta, California said: I'm currently going to school for dental assisting in CA. What are the steps after I complete this course to becoming an RDA? Can I take the courses immediately just to get them out of the way? And, what are the courses that I need to take? I believe you need 15 months experience in a dental setting before you can take the exam, but can you take the courses first just to get them out of the way?

1. Fill out the application to become an RDA
A. The application is on the California Dental Board website
B. There is a $60.00 fee to send with it.
2. Qualify to take the RDA Test by one of these ways:
A. Have 15 months "paid" work experience in a Dental Office in the USA.
B. Graduated from a approved RDA program. id Everest, Bryman, Concord, etc.
3. Approal will be sent to you in the mail with a date to take the practical exam.
A. The practical exam takes place up north in San Francisco, or in Los Angeles
B. They will tell you when you are scheduled to take the test.
c. The tests are only given 4 times per year.
D. The test is to make a temporary on tooth #8 and IRM on #19DO.
E. Take a PREP COURSE FOR THE PRACTICAL 2 weeks before you take it. Cost $250
4. Take an pass the Written Test.
A. You can only sign up for the written test once you get approved.
B. The written test is given many times and many locations
C. The company that admisisters the test is PSI, the information will be given to you when you recieve your approval to take the test.
D. The test has 175 questions on it, multiple choice.
E. Definatly take a Written Prep Course. Cost $250
Here is a list of all the things you will need to have to be an RDA.
1. Pass The Written Test
2. Pass The Practical Test
3. Have a Current CPR Card
4. Have your California X-Ray Certificate
5. Have your Coronal Polishing License
6. Pit and Fissure Lic and Live Scan (fingerprints

Reply - Report abuse

Mariellita in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

I am getting ready for the RDA license, but I want to prepare myself for the written test just I dont know where to find the text books to study...does anyone know how to prepare for such test?? Thanks for any help!! =)

Reply - Report abuse

Konni in Laguna Beach, California

74 months ago

Hi!

I can help you. I have an online class that has the perfect book to study from. It covers everything on the test. . If you would like to do a self study with it, it would be good.

Good Luck! and Congratulations on advancing your career.

Konni
OC Dental Academy

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hi Konni, thanks for your advise, well yeah I would like to do it like you said, I dont quite much understood but let me know how can I do, you can e-Mail me w more info at:
KElektra75@aol.com
Thanks again for your help Konni :)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

patty in Palmdale, California

72 months ago

Krishna Thomas in Hesperia, California said: Hi, I'm a recent graduate from Everest College and would like any information on getting my RDA (where to go, web-site, cost). Yes, my school is suposed to help me but I keep getting the run-a-round. Thank you for your time and effort.

you need to call the dental board of whatever state you live in and they will walk you through it. in my case i called the dental board of california and the operator directed me to the right place. usually the test is about 200 questions and now in california the new law is that you also need to take a law and ethics exam also everything totaling 300 questions. i will be taking the exam soon. Good luck.....

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

You can also go to the dental board site and download the application from them, it comes with the instructions as well,but make it fast, cus if you want to take the practical exam in february you have only this month of november to submit your applications along with the documents, if you take longer than that it will only delay the date for you to become an RDA. I just submited my application and hope everything goes well, DDS don't want to pay much to DA's, actually they want us to do RDA duties but pay us the minimun salary :(

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Soniadayani@*****.*** in Whittier, California

69 months ago

Hey guys! I have a question if anybody could answer me? I live in Downey California where can I take a prep class to prepare me to take RDA test. Oh ! Sorry guys and how can I get the study guide book RDA or can I buy it off from someone I will really appreciated. I have my diploma da & Ive been employed for almost 2years thank

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Soniadayani@*****.*** in Whittier, California

69 months ago

Hey guys! Jest want to tell all the RDA's I'm really proud of u guys! Ur doing it ! And to all da' s let's don't let doctors take advantage. When I first started working I was new in the field it's private office yea! That's when they more take a vantage of u. He use yo snatch things from my hand and made me cried . I got tired and I told him last time u snatch things from me I don't appreciated and is very unprofessional ok! He got shock and I told him I'm no longer working for u . Well to make it short he change. So this dr didn't want me to go cus he was paying me 9 crappy dollars and yet he had me doing RDA functions even implants ortho and ect. U know why cus he knows that hes cheep ass has to pay an RDA more money and like they say ! It's cheaper to keeper right! I don't understand haw can doctors take a vantage of people oh ! Oh yea! He didn't want me to go cus he was upset the fact he thought me everything and that's right I'm taking all the knowledge he thought me and take it to a mother office were they could appreciate my hard work and the person i'am . Watch out for shady bad doctors
I guess doctors don't appreciate our hard work.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Cecelia in Corona, California

68 months ago

carla.brown@cox.com in Chula Vista, California said: I have two children and im changing careers from school bus driver to dental assistant. Will finding a job as a dental assitant be very hard and what is my pay I found my job as a da right after I finished my internship I started at $10.00 an hr and I have been there almost 3 years and I make $13.00 my friend on the other hand has been in the field for 2 years and is at 9.50 I say just know what u r worth don't let the dentist take advantage of u cuz they will

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Dannessa in Irvine, California

68 months ago

A persons pay depends on the dr and if you are in a specialty. I myself got my RDA and have been in orthodontics. I have been making $15 @ one of my jobs and $19 at the other.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

They (managers and dds) are abusers. Of course they take advantage on you as much as they can, my manager is a sucker, she even tell us (group of like 4 offices, maybe 40 DAs) that if we dont like it to leave and let her know, she doesn't want to give us raises or anything, she was paying me (stil) $14 and At the time I passed my RDA practical exam I went to her to show her and to ask her for a raise and she told me that was nothing until the moment I had my RDA card, she is really a witch undisguised, I wish I could tell her everything of what I think in her face!! Now I have my RDA and am just waiting for the card but I expect her to raise me to 16-17 the most, I see it, and sinceshe says: take it or leave it I should accept it??

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

thommee in Columbia, South Carolina

61 months ago

I graduated from Concorde Career Institute in San Diego in 1993. I traveled from the military base and carpooled with a classmate in Escondido named Carla. Carla I can not remember your last name but would love to connect with you again. It's been nearly 20 years hope you remember me....

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.