RDA test, is easy or not?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 547)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Lora in San Diego, California

75 months ago

I took the RDA exam last year right after graduating from college. The practical test wasn't easy. May be, just because I am not very good with my hands. I fabricated a temporary crown. As for me it was terrible. I didn't know what happened. I practiced so many times at college and everything was fine. So, I thought I failed. I was surprised when in three weeks I found out I passed. The crown wasn't good for me but was good enough to pass the test.
The written exam was easy. They give you plenty of time. A lot of direct questions about RDA and DA's duties. Different situations again based on RDA's duties and also how urgent the case is. Dental charting.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Placentia, California

75 months ago

The written exam was really easy. It doesn't get too in depth. It's all the basic knowledge about general dentistry. It didn't go too much into speciality from what I remember.

As for the practical it's not hard b/c you've probably practiced it 3947439587 times, but it is nerve wracking which makes it seem much more difficult than it really is. It's really quiet in the room and the proctors are walking back and forth looking at you so your nerves may get the best of you. Just take a deep breath, get it done, and don't second guess yourself. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jess7 in San Diego, California

75 months ago

Jennifer in Placentia, California said: The written exam was really easy. It doesn't get too in depth. It's all the basic knowledge about general dentistry. It didn't go too much into speciality from what I remember.

As for the practical it's not hard b/c you've probably practiced it 3947439587 times, but it is nerve wracking which makes it seem much more difficult than it really is. It's really quiet in the room and the proctors are walking back and forth looking at you so your nerves may get the best of you. Just take a deep breath, get it done, and don't second guess yourself. Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the advice Jennifer, your words are very helpful. i wish you the best! Jess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yuri in San Diego, California

74 months ago

Hi! can you let me know the process on how to apply for this test. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Daisy in Reutlingen, Germany

73 months ago

Hi. Im working as a dental assistant in Germany. I would like to work in the states next year. Where can I apply for that test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

candace in North Conway, New Hampshire

73 months ago

online look into the DANB website to find out about the CDA test. The cost is $300.00 for the full 3 part test - Radiology, General and infection control, or you can break it down by section (most employers will not reimburse you for this, my dentist doesn't think it is important to be certified). Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daisy in Reutlingen, Germany

73 months ago

candace in North Conway, New Hampshire said: online look into the DANB website to find out about the CDA test. The cost is $300.00 for the full 3 part test - Radiology, General and infection control, or you can break it down by section (most employers will not reimburse you for this, my dentist doesn't think it is important to be certified). Good Luck.

Thanks for the help. I know not being certified means they dont have to pay me that much. Good for them bad for me. But I´ll try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jamie in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

hey guys!! ive already taken my practical which is kind of nerv recking because it takes them a few weeks to let you know if you passed, so your going over every detail those next few weeks wondering if you did it right. I did pass! yay for me. then came the written exam, blaaaah! it was sort of hard because i didnt go over it for almost a year, i only use what i know in my dental office i didnt take it right away when i got out of college which i should of. I missed it by 3 points!!! im taking it again today! i did study and i hope i pass LOL =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Manoel in Manaus, Brazil

71 months ago

I'm a Brazilian dentist looking for a job as a dental assistant in germany. Does anybody know the procedures in other to get a work permit? thanks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Le Nguyen in Castro Valley, California

71 months ago

Lora in San Diego, California said: I took the RDA exam last year right after graduating from college...The written exam was easy...

Lora, I have also finished dental assistant college classes and am working as an extern. Where did you find RDA test review question and answers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in San Diego, California

71 months ago

Le Nguyen in Castro Valley, California said:

Le Nguyen, I didn't have any test review questions. I just read the textbook, lectures and tests that I had from college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cesar ramirez in San Diego, California

71 months ago

I am a DA in San Diego and want to know how to become an RDA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

susie73@dslextreme.com in Burbank, California

71 months ago

Yuri in San Diego, California said: Hi! can you let me know the process on how to apply for this test. Thanks

go on to www.COMDA.ca.gov
request an app.
submit it w/ the fee and copies of cornal polish and x-ray cert.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

susie73@dslextreme.com in Burbank, California

71 months ago

Does anyone have "The RDA Review Manuel" they no longer need? I take the written in Nov. and I need a refresher
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cesar ramirez in San Diego, California

71 months ago

ACTUALLY that was my question also so I can not help you with that question, sorry!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cher Tran in Fremont, California

70 months ago

cesar ramirez in San Diego, California said: I am a DA in San Diego and want to know how to become an RDA?

I finished school a month ago and went for my written review 2 weeks ago. The next praticle exam is Nov. 1 of this year. The next one will be in January or Febuary of next year. You need to go to COMDA.ca.gov and print out the RDA application and send it into COMDA with the appropriate fees. Make sure before you send the application in, get your finger print done with Live scan and you can print this form for COMDA website. make sure it's the form for RDA applicant. You will find great info. on how the process works, just got yo COMDA website and check out all the info.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daisy in Reutlingen, Germany

70 months ago

Hello,

Im gonna move to Arizona next year. I have been working in a dentistry for almost a year now. Im from Germany and gonna start dentistry school in a few years. How does it work in Arizona about getting a certified dental assistant? Thank´s for your help

Daisy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Hayward, California

70 months ago

Cher Tran, you stated, "... finished school a month ago and went for my written review 2 weeks ago..."

Where were you able to take a written review?
Who gave the review?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Phoenix, Arizona

70 months ago

I fail my infection and radiology exam. I am so lost. I can pay my loan I

dont have a job in denistry at all. These school do not help their people

find jobs all they want is the money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

M34 in riverside, California

70 months ago

so i am taking my written exam in two days an am curious if anyone can tell me if the test is based on any certain field (ortho, perio,endo etc.)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

susie73@dslextreme.com in Burbank, California

70 months ago

esmeralda l. in Los Angeles, California said: hi, i did took the RDA test, and for what i experience the practical was very east to me, but when it comes to reading and understand those tricky question was hard. well the reason why because i learn better when i see it than reading it. my advise for all of you would be to do your best,and not to get nervous just consentrate and go for it, as well you need to study because some of the names they use in the questions are somewhat different from what we use in the office. good luck you all.

I'm taking the written Nov. 8th and I've worked back office for 8 years now, but I may need to take the class that they offer at UCLA. It's the weekend befor the test. Do you recommend I take it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NORMA ALVAREZ in El Cajon, California

70 months ago

IM SO COFUSED BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WERE TO TAKE MY WRITTEN EXAM I KNOW I HAVE THE ONE IN UCLA IN NOVEMBER .CAN SOME ONE HELP ME HOW THIS WORKS IM REALLY CONFUSED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

susie73@dslextreme.com in Burbank, California

70 months ago

Go to www.psiexams.com to find locations on the written exam. then wait for the pratical test date and time It should be either on the 15th or 16th of Nov. '08. You must first apply at www.comda.ca.gov befor anything. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
by the way the RDA iat UCLA is for prep class to help pass the exams, written and/ practical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LISA MARIE in San Marcos, California

70 months ago

susie73@dslextreme.com in Burbank, California said: Go to www.psiexams.com to find locations on the written exam. then wait for the pratical test date and time It should be either on the 15th or 16th of Nov. '08. You must first apply at www.comda.ca.gov befor anything. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
by the way the RDA iat UCLA is for prep class to help pass the exams, written and/ practical.

does an one how how many written questions are on the test? 100 or more???? is it mult choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LISA MARIE in San Marcos, California

70 months ago

LISA MARIE in San Marcos, California said: does an one how how many written questions are on the test? 100 or more???? is it mult choice?

SORRY I CANT SPELL THESE DAYS........ DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY WRITTEN QUESTIONS ARE ON THE TEST?

ALSO CAN YOU TAKE THE RDA TEST AFTER YOU GRADUATE OR DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT ONE FULL FULL YEAR BEFORE TESTING?

ANYONE GO TO KAPLAN COLLEGE TO BE A DA /RDA DID YOU FEEL THEY PREPARED YOU FOR THE WORK FORCE?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in San Diego, California

70 months ago

LISA MARIE in San Marcos, California said: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY WRITTEN QUESTIONS ARE ON THE TEST?

ALSO CAN YOU TAKE THE RDA TEST AFTER YOU GRADUATE OR DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT ONE FULL FULL YEAR BEFORE TESTING?

There are 175 questions on the test.
You can take the RDA test right after graduating from approved DA program. Check the list of the programs on COMDA web site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

net

69 months ago

is there anyway u can take test on line for dental asst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

net from houston

69 months ago

i am in houston asking if u can take test online

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cristian in San Diego, California

69 months ago

hi im cristian and i been taken a clasess in mexico
im not sure if is the right desicion to became a dental higienes
in usa can some one know if that work in california makink, a
tranfer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LISA MARIE in San Marcos, California

69 months ago

HELLO I WENT INTO A OFFICE IN LA COSTA CA AND SPOKE TO A RDA AND SHE SAID THEY ARE MAKING LIKE $12/$13 AN HOUR. WHEN YOU LOOK UP JOBS.COM SAYS YOU MAKE A LOT MORE..... I WAS COURIOUS WHAT ARE THE AVERAGE PAY SCALE WHERE YOU LIVE FOR A NEW RDA RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL?????

I THOUGHT FOR A RDA STARTING YOU WOULD MAKE AT LEAST $40,000 A YEAR. WHAT DOES A RDA USALLY START OFF AT WHEN ANY OF YOU BECAME A RDA RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in San Diego, California

69 months ago

LISA MARIE in San Marcos, California said: HELLO I WENT INTO A OFFICE IN LA COSTA CA AND SPOKE TO A RDA AND SHE SAID THEY ARE MAKING LIKE $12/$13 AN HOUR. WHEN YOU LOOK UP JOBS.COM SAYS YOU MAKE A LOT MORE..... I WAS COURIOUS WHAT ARE THE AVERAGE PAY SCALE WHERE YOU LIVE FOR A NEW RDA RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL?????

I THOUGHT FOR A RDA STARTING YOU WOULD MAKE AT LEAST $40,000 A YEAR. WHAT DOES A RDA USALLY START OFF AT WHEN ANY OF YOU BECAME A RDA RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL????

12-13$ per hour seems very low to me. I got my RDA right after graduating from college. The starting salary was 17 per hour. I lived in San Jose area at that time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Masa in San Jose, California

69 months ago

Lora did you go to san jose city college? And is the written exam mostly what you can and can not do???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California

69 months ago

Masa in San Jose, California said: Lora did you go to san jose city college? And is the written exam mostly what you can and can not do???

Yes, I did. I graduated from San Jose City College.
Answering your second question, Masa, I would say the test includes many questions about DA's and RDA duties. Besides DA's and RDA duties a lot of questions about dental charting,several questions about instruments. They give you some situations. For example, your dentists is on vacation. A patient is calling to the office. His filling that was placed last week by the dentist seems a little rough. What would you do?
- Refer a pt. to another dentist who takes over your pt. while the doctor is on vacation.
- Tell to a pt. to come in and you can smooth a surface of the filing using a low-speed handpiece.
- Schedule a pt. for a day when your dentist will be back from vacation.

Something like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kellie in San Diego, California

69 months ago

jess7 in San Diego said: Hi there!! What do you think? if you already took the RDA test please can you tell me your opinion.

i took a prep course for the pratical, it was easy and good info, my test is this week i think i'll pass, i need to know about the written exam, how do i study for that with out taking another costley prep course is there a study guide out there???????? thanksssss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yippy yappy in Mount Holly, New Jersey

69 months ago

I am in need of study material for my CDA and RDA here in NJ. I have been in the dental field for 20 years plus. Have had all experiences in all area of Dentistry. I am told how knowledgeable I am and talented in th is ever changing field. Do I need to worry about how well I will do on the State EXAMS!!! How long will it take to study. Sending a 300.00 dollar check in for the test is scary! I really need these certifications.....single parent needing to improve salary base with certifications very soon! Yippy, Yappy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kellie in San Diego, California

69 months ago

i dont know if CA state test is diffrnet im told that ill be tested on #9 temp and #19 do seditive fill, i took a prep course to make sure i had it all coverd just to see what the exameners are looking for, im told they only look they dont check the bite or the contacts they are just visualy lookig for it aswel as make sure its not over filled or sloppy,i suggest taking a prep course that offer the rental kit for the test so you can use the same materals that you praticed with, im more neavor of thhe written.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kellie in San Diego, California

69 months ago

LISA MARIE in San Marcos, California said: HELLO I WENT INTO A OFFICE IN LA COSTA CA AND SPOKE TO A RDA AND SHE SAID THEY ARE MAKING LIKE $12/$13 AN HOUR. WHEN YOU LOOK UP JOBS.COM SAYS YOU MAKE A LOT MORE..... I WAS COURIOUS WHAT ARE THE AVERAGE PAY SCALE WHERE YOU LIVE FOR A NEW RDA RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL?????

I THOUGHT FOR A RDA STARTING YOU WOULD MAKE AT LEAST $40,000 A YEAR. WHAT DOES A RDA USALLY START OFF AT WHEN ANY OF YOU BECAME A RDA RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL????

im makeing 18 as a DA IVE BEEN A da FOR 10 YRS, THE rda AT MY OFFICE MAKES 22 GET YOUR rda sooner then later!!!! most dentist want an RDA and you shouldnt make 12... dont work there!!!!know whats expected of you before taking a job,bosses can be ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Armeda C. Miller in Covina, California

68 months ago

I sent my application to take the test at usc. Ive worked in an office for 2 years and would like to know what terms and deffitions were on the test " you know the basic of what termonology? or if they wanted you to know the name of the tooth annaamel ? thanks that would really help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susie's friend @work.com in Pasadena, California

67 months ago

Armeda C. Miller in Covina, California said: I sent my application to take the test at usc. Ive worked in an office for 2 years and would like to know what terms and deffitions were on the test " you know the basic of what termonology? or if they wanted you to know the name of the tooth annaamel ? thanks that would really help.

Amanda,
Not to hurt your feelings, but it would be a good idea if before you take the test you learn to spell. Word processor programs have spell check. If this helps, deffitions is spelt definitions and annaamel is spelt enamel. Enamel is the name of the tooths' outer surface. If you have a dental book that you kept from school I suggest you read it. If you do not have a book go to your local library and check one out. I hope this helps. As for your primary question they do offer refresher courses prior to the written test.
Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

HurleyGirl in Bakersfield, California

67 months ago

Hi, I just grad from Kaplan College dec 13th 2008...and I am having a hard time find in a job, does anybody have tips?
I am so lost...I dont't see nothing in the newspaper, caljobs, and even the company that places medical graduates have jobs I am affraid I am going to 4get all the skills I learn in my clinical...trutly depressed...any tips

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

klfbb

67 months ago

Susie's friend @work.com in Pasadena, California said: Amanda,
Not to hurt your feelings, but it would be a good idea if before you take the test you learn to spell. Word processor programs have spell check. If this helps, deffitions is spelt definitions and annaamel is spelt enamel. Enamel is the name of the tooths' outer surface. If you have a dental book that you kept from school I suggest you read it. If you do not have a book go to your local library and check one out. I hope this helps. As for your primary question they do offer refresher courses prior to the written test.
Good Luck!

Susie's friend....I think you meant "spelled. "Spelt" is incorrect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

kelliie in San Diego, California

67 months ago

wow! get a life and go be a teacher...and ya your rude, go out on a date or something so you can get a life !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

cynthiam in Walnut Creek, California

65 months ago

cristian in San Diego, California said: hi im cristian and i been taken a clasess in mexico
im not sure if is the right desicion to became a dental higienes
in usa can some one know if that work in california makink, a
tranfer

yes dental hygienist is a great paying job in the usa. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cindy castillo in San Diego, California

64 months ago

looking for any one who has the written exam manual i need it please, let me know asap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beate in Killeen, Texas

64 months ago

Daisy in Reutlingen, Germany said: Hi. Im working as a dental assistant in Germany. I would like to work in the states next year. Where can I apply for that test?

i m in texas right now and going through the same thing worked in Germany and here u have to do all the test again good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Idalcia in Chula Vista, California

63 months ago

HurleyGirl in Bakersfield, California said: Hi, I just grad from Kaplan College dec 13th 2008...and I am having a hard time find in a job, does anybody have tips?
I am so lost...I dont't see nothing in the newspaper, caljobs, and even the company that places medical graduates have jobs I am affraid I am going to 4get all the skills I learn in my clinical...trutly depressed...any tips

Hi,
My best recommendation is to do voluntary work so you dont forget u skills and at the same time, also get experience...
When you build you resume this will help you a lot... Work for me...
I graduated three weeks a go, and I am working all ready !!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JOHANA HERNANDEZ in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

Susie's friend @work.com in Pasadena, California said: Amanda,
Not to hurt your feelings, but it would be a good idea if before you take the test you learn to spell. Word processor programs have spell check. If this helps, deffitions is spelt definitions and annaamel is spelt enamel. Enamel is the name of the tooths' outer surface. If you have a dental book that you kept from school I suggest you read it. If you do not have a book go to your local library and check one out. I hope this helps. As for your primary question they do offer refresher courses prior to the written test.
Good Luck!

AMANDA IM SORRY TO TELL YOU THIS, BUT SPELT IS NOT SPELT. ITS SPELLED.....BOTH OF U TAKE A COURSE TOGETHER.IT WOULD REALLY BENEFIT YOU.BYE BYE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ella in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

Lora in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California said: Yes, I did. I graduated from San Jose City College.
Answering your second question, Masa, I would say the test includes many questions about DA's and RDA duties. Besides DA's and RDA duties a lot of questions about dental charting,several questions about instruments. They give you some situations. For example, your dentists is on vacation. A patient is calling to the office. His filling that was placed last week by the dentist seems a little rough. What would you do?
- Refer a pt. to another dentist who takes over your pt. while the doctor is on vacation.
- Tell to a pt. to come in and you can smooth a surface of the filing using a low-speed handpiece.
- Schedule a pt. for a day when your dentist will be back from vacation.

Something like that.

Hi there!
I am confused....... I do not know the answer for that question. Can you, please tell me what I have to do in case us this?! Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in La Jolla, California

62 months ago

Ella in Los Angeles, California said: Hi there!
I am confused....... I do not know the answer for that question. Can you, please tell me what I have to do in case us this?! Thanks in advance!

Hi, Ella,
This is very simple. Look. A rough filling, that was placed a week ago, is not an emergency. Nothing is hurting. Right? So, there is no point of refering him to another dentist.
RDA can not use a handpiece in a patient's mouth. It's illegal. Check RDA's duties.
The best answer is to schedule a patient for a day when a dentist will be back from vacation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ARMEDA in Glendora, California

62 months ago

YES ELA IM AN RDA AND A HELL OF A GOOD ONE . I HAD THE SAME QUESTION AND WAS EASY TO ANSWER RESCEDULE THE PATIENT WHEN DOCTORS BACK AT THE OFFICE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.