Shoul a pregnant DA be taking x-rays

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 107)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Lana in San Francisco, California

80 months ago

I was wondering how safe or unsafe is to take x-rays wile being pregnant? Is it ok to refuse?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Lana in San Francisco, California said: I was wondering how safe or unsafe is to take x-rays wile being pregnant? Is it ok to refuse?

You should ask your doctor specifically what your circumstances are, sounds risky to the fetus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Murphysboro, Illinois

80 months ago

I have 3 boys that were born after pregnancies in which I took dental x-rays throughout my entire pregnancies and they are all just fine. As long as you practice all precautions that you normally do. The later into the pregnancy, the safer it becomes. You can actually have dental x-rays taken late in pregnancy but only if it is in the case of possible abcess, impaction, etc., and of course it is important to speak with the (pregnant)patient's doctor first to make sure there is nothing that you should be aware of. There really is no need to refuse preforming your job, unless you are asked to hold it in with your finger while someone else pushes the button.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Winter Garden, Florida

78 months ago

Mercy in Crown Point, Indiana said: My doctor told me NOT to take x-rays while I was pregnant, so I didn't.

Im woried only because this is my first child while working with xrays ,and chemicals I understand I take normal precautions for myself so I beleive im safe but then i hear that it can cause neural tube defects
to be exposed to this atmosphere. What do I do tell my doctor I dont want to be in the back?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Mercy in Merrillville, Indiana

77 months ago

Jennifer in Winter Garden, Florida said: Im woried only because this is my first child while working with xrays ,and chemicals I understand I take normal precautions for myself so I beleive im safe but then i hear that it can cause neural tube defects
to be exposed to this atmosphere. What do I do tell my doctor I dont want to be in the back?

You can still work in the back office just don't take x-rays. I did my job as I normally would, I just excluded x-rays from my day. I'm sure the Dentist that you work for will understand...If not oh well...he can't fire you, it would be against the law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bernice in Fresno, California

77 months ago

Before i was working in the dental field i had two daughters.Now i have worked the dental field for 12 years,and i am pregnant again.I am worried because i work with nitrius oxide and i am exposed to radiation.I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and i believe it was because what i was exposed to at work.Should i be concerned for my baby?I am 7 1/2 weeks pregnant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

RITA HAMMOND in Fontana, California

77 months ago

Lana in San Francisco, California said: I was wondering how safe or unsafe is to take x-rays wile being pregnant? Is it ok to refuse?

ONLY IF YOU ARE PAST YOUR THIRD TRIMESTER AND THEY SUPPLY YOU WITH A LEAD APRON THAT TIES AROUND YOU. OTHER WISE DON'T DO IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jona Pecson in Toronto, Ontario

75 months ago

hello my name is jona im working as a dental assistant right now and currently pregnant, im taking x-rays but I stay outside though would that be ok? because im a little worried about my baby...hope to hear from somebody...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dental 4 You in Jacksonville, Florida

75 months ago

You have nothing to worry about unless you are pointing the xray machine right at your stomach. You should be fine but if you want to take extra precautions there is nothing wrong with that, but you need to be more concerned about working aroung nitrous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Navarro Mosley in Bloomfield, New Jersey

74 months ago

Hi Everyone!!
I'm pretty much concerned with the same issues as mentioned.
First I'm a dental assistant. I work and have worked with nitrous gas for 5 months now. I am currently 9 1/2wks pregnant but I just found out a month ago that I was pregnant. I worked with the nitrous that whole month not even knowing. Now I'm very concerned with my baby and the affects of this dangerous gas.
I also take xrays but step outside the room and when pressing the button. I don't where an apron. Do I have to? Does it make you any safer? Are there any ways that the radiation or nitrous gas could leak. Although now I stay out of the room when it's used I'm always worried if I am taking xrays in the next room only a few feet away if the nitrous could leak and affect my baby?
Also the doctor doesn't shut the door when he uses it. I am just very concerned about these things. Can anyone reassure me or advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Daphne in Gainesville, Georgia

73 months ago

I have the same worries about taking xrays!! I am the one in office that takes the most, like for hygiene pt's for the 4bwx every year and FMX.. what do i do? Is it safe? Do I wear an apron?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tina Luna in Penn Valley, California

72 months ago

I had to quit my job as a RDA due to a Nitrious Oxide leak in the office . For 3 years my co worker and I were sick a lot with Gastrointestinal problems , headaches , a feeling of anxiousness and overall feeling of no quite right we were spending our days off at the Doctors tring to figure out what was going on , when we both relized we were having the same issure we started to put it all together I was eliminateing different cleaning soulutions in the office and trying different things and we were having no change in our health until one day I had a horrible headache that made me so sick for at least 12 hours right after using N20 I decides at that time to call the N20 company and ask them to ck for leaks they did come out and they found leaks throughout the office and the N20 was being picked up by the A/c and carried throughout the office the N20 was off the charts. We did have a sacvenger sytem but that did not make a difference. We quit a week later because the Dr. refused to stop using the N20. The fact is that N20 causes many horrible things to go wrong with your body if you look into it you will see that in the 80's quit alot of reserch was done on n20 at it was found to be dangerous but for some reason all that was brushed under the carpet and never spoke about again. We as Dental personal need to demand change we need monitors in the offices with N20 that reads the amount of N20 we are breathing at all times and we need further testing done on the effects on our bodys as well as the pateints.
The symtoms are Gastrointestinal, hadaches, burning mouth. miscarrages, birth deffects, anxiety , nausia, extramly tired , shaky, unable to focus , a feeling of something is not qutie right with your body.
I have been off work for 7 months now and I feel 100 % better it is truly amazing how I feel now compaired to how I have felt for the past 3 years .
I callenge all who is feeling any of the sytoms above to call get a monitor reading ASAP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TIna in Penn Valley, California

72 months ago

Was nitrious oxide used in the office in which you were working?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TIna in Penn Valley, California

72 months ago

Bernice in Fresno, California said: Before i was working in the dental field i had two daughters.Now i have worked the dental field for 12 years,and i am pregnant again.I am worried because i work with nitrius oxide and i am exposed to radiation.I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and i believe it was because what i was exposed to at work.Should i be concerned for my baby?I am 7 1/2 weeks pregnant.

WAS NITRIOUS OXIDE USED IN YOUR OFFICE AT ALL?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TIna in Penn Valley, California

72 months ago

Jona Pecson in Toronto, Ontario said: hello my name is jona im working as a dental assistant right now and currently pregnant, im taking x-rays but I stay outside though would that be ok? because im a little worried about my baby...hope to hear from somebody...

DO NOT BE IN THE SAME OFFICE AS NITRIOUS OXIDE , WHILE PREGNANT AT ALL!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

72 months ago

I work in a office that uses nitrous. I have asked several doctors about the hazards and effects. My doctor said to stay in another room when it is being used and not assist with it at all. But specificly aviod it after your first trimester. Then if you have to be around it without directly assisting use your mask so you do not inhale it. But after your first trimester. Unfortunately there is not that much information about it other than when you are in your first and early second trimester that it can cause spontaneous abortion. But i feel if you aviod it as much as possible take your prenatal and other supplements for your babies nutrition and pray on it. Your baby will be healthy. Always consult your doctor though and when you have your sonograms they will look for things like that to. Try not to worry to much even after consulting your doctorbecausethat can cause anxiety, stress and that affects your baby to. My prayers are with you hope I could be of help. Oh thesecond thing is dental radio graphs the radiation is very minimal and should not affect your baby. Just continue to use proper PPE and protocol like steping outside of the room when taking the films. But i wouldn't worry about it, if you are doing so. God bless!! Have a beautiful day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

That is definitely a sad story, but the fact remains that when you are in SCHOOL for dental assisting, we are taught to stay behind the wall when pushing the x ray button and that you NEVER stay in the room. EVER. You have to protect yourself. NO ONE will EVER do that for you! Knowledge is power. Were you educated on x-rays, and the effects????CA is really stict in the fact that ANYONE working the the dental field BETTER know what is dangerous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

TIna in Penn Valley, California

72 months ago

Not true i worked in an office were the other staff member and I were always feeling bad with red faces and headaches and many other things after ruling out other things I finally called the n2o suppliers out to test the air in the office for leaks what we found was the n20 was being picked up through the air conditioner and dispered throughout the rest of the office at high levels even with a scavenger unit and all procaustions in place. There has been many studies on this matter but for some reason nothing is being done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TIna in Penn Valley, California

72 months ago

NO infact upon doing a lot of reserch we are finding that n2o is very dangerouse and OSHA, NIOSH and the powers that bee do nother to keep us safe from it . There was tons of reserch on this matter about 10 years ago and all the reserch is very scary (liver damage, eye damage , gastrointestinal damage, nerve damage, miscarraiges , headaches, anxiety, and much more ) but for some reason the powers that be do not take any action against this only to tell us that it is safe that its only suppose to be a danger if we are pregnate, are we suppose to belive that something that can kill a fetus is not dangerous in any other way or that by simply walking out of a little opporatory that the bad gas stays in that room and does not creep into the rest of the office we as dental assistant and dental hygienist need to make a stand on this very dangerous gas and say regualtions or else . We need monitors in all offices and bages to be worn at all times , you can not relay on the scavengers they do nothing to keep the ambient air free of the n20 gas. NOTHING!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Penn Valley, California

71 months ago

Please sent me an email address I have a letter you should read from an RDH who has had 4 miscarraiges .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bernice in Marietta, Georgia

71 months ago

Yes nitrous oxcide is used in my office its used in my office every day and i am the dr main assistant Im not preagnant any more I had a misscarige this is my second one mentally i cant go through this again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Penn Valley, California

71 months ago

I am quite sure the N20 is to blame we have been doing a lot of investigating on this issue and we are overwelmed at the amount of miscarrraiges and illness that we are finding in the dental offices that use N20 .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

diane in Wales, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I hope there are dentist that don't use n2o I'm going to school now for dental assistant. we were not told of dangers from n2o. As for x- rays we learn alot. I fell safe by not being in the room.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Overworked RDA in Grants Pass, Oregon

67 months ago

Rosie in Spokane, Washington said: I'm a wife office manager for my dentist husband; I put off helping for 11 years, and finally came in when the staff about had him tied up in knots. My philosophy is we should all do our jobs to the best of our ability and try to avoid the tendency to find fault with other people. The dental office is such a small space--if people can't get along a better match should be found. Good luck to you.

It's interesting that u say to not find fault in other peoples doings and then make the comment that "THE STAFF" had the Dentist tied up in knots.Usually when the staff "has the dentist tied up in knots",it's because he has THEM tied up in knots as well. Some dentist's try to work understaffed to save $$ and then expect the overworked staff to take care of every issue that arises- we are human and can only do our best. We cannot expect to be super heroes when we are not! By the way, does your husband pay u a wage? Or is he saving money by having u there instead of hiring another worker?...Just curious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rosie in Spokane, Washington

64 months ago

Hi Overworked,

I hear where you are coming from--a dentist CAN be hard to work with, especially if he lacks the ability to listen and lead. In our case, though, we really had a comical staff. The assistant, despite requests to stop, spent time yakking about herself to any patient who would listen, eating up our production time and wasting the (polite) patient's time. Our hygienist, despite requests to stop, SPOKE REALLY REALLY LOUDLY. Dr. could hear each and every word 2 operatories over. The LOUD, RAUCOUS cackles of laughter drove him nuts, while he was trying to do meticulous work. He asked her informally, then formally, to please speak softer--to no avail. Meanwhile, the front desk specialist did not ask for payment at the time of service, screwed up the insurance entries, had boxes and boxes of paperwork stuffed under her desk, and simply wrote off thousands of dollars of her own mistakes. The day I walked in the office and innocently and sincerely offered to help (completely unaware of the situation, only that she had complained of being overworked) she freaked out. (I had no idea that she had a mess going on, only that the hygienist was driving my husband crazy. The front desk debacle was just an added bonus.) During the years that this very highly paid (retirement, medical, profit sharing, years of raises) "staff" did Things The Way They Wanted, my husband faced the choice of putting up with it all indefinately, or facing resistance and resignations. Guess what--they did not like me very much. Since then we have hired hard working, intelligent staffers; we pay them well and appreciate them. I am sure horror stories can be told on the other side--in any relationship there is the chance of abuse. As you might imagine, there are even days where I don't like the dentist! Nevertheless, he is trying to run a business, he has assumed the financial risk of it all, and as his wife, I want to support him. A staffer who will help me support him is golden.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rosie in Spokane, Washington

64 months ago

jess in Elgin, Illinois said: I just found out i am pregnant and i work at a dental office as a dental assistant and i am so afraid, i wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something bad was to happen to my baby because of that.

Jess--Congratulations! In my opinion, there is nothing in the world more important than the health of your baby, or your own peace of mind. For that reason, I would say don't expose yourself to nitrous or xrays. Then, if something DID go wrong down the road, at least you would have the peace of mind that it was not something preventable. If you were my daughter, that would be my advice. As an office manager (and wife, so I know that makes me a little suspect), I would advise you also to see things from the employer's viewpoint. How will your new situation affect the flow of work in the office? Production? Co-workers? Let your boss know what is going on ASAP, and your feelings, and that you are aware that this will be a problem. Ask if there is some way to minimize the negative effects on the practice. Are you willing to assume some other tasks if co-workers have to pick up the slack? If you are costing the practice money, are you willing to take a cut in pay for the duration? At this time we actually have a hygienist who is pregnant, and she is not taking xrays. This is costing the practice quite a bit, being a one-assistant office. Though she is helping with other tasks whenever possible, I would have appreciated it if she would have acknowledged that the situation would have some effects on co-workers and production. She just matter-of-factly said, "I need to let you know I'm pregnant, and my doctor told me not to take any xrays." I would just advise you to be a little more graceful about it--let the Dr. know you have his interests in mind, too. Best wishes! (ps: Our last assistant took xrays all through her pregnancy and had a healthy baby last year. She didn't even tell us she was pregnant until her 6th month...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Overworked RDA in Grants Pass, Oregon

64 months ago

dear rosie in spokane,
i appreciate your reply. sounds like you had to do what u had to do...thats too bad.it sounds like u made the right choice though.
ps. kinda funny, we have a hygenist just like u had.....annoying! good luck
from overworked in oregon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jess in Elgin, Illinois

64 months ago

I am going throw the same thing, i also work as a dental assistant and iam also scared because i dont want anything to go wrong with my baby. So i either have someone else take them , i wont take more then 2 x-rays and when i do take one, iam very careful about it. just protect yourself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

babygee in San Diego, California

64 months ago

hello im goin to school as a dental assistant and by the time im goin to be 6months pregnant we're goin to start takin xrays in class already... do you think im goin to be safe around the xray please let me knoe im just concerne cos this is my first baby.... thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

M.J in Cheshire, Connecticut

63 months ago

Overworked RDA in Grants Pass, Oregon said: It's interesting that u say to not find fault in other peoples doings and then make the comment that "THE STAFF" had the Dentist tied up in knots.Usually when the staff "has the dentist tied up in knots",it's because he has THEM tied up in knots as well. Some dentist's try to work understaffed to save $$ and then expect the overworked staff to take care of every issue that arises- we are human and can only do our best. We cannot expect to be super heroes when we are not! By the way, does your husband pay u a wage? Or is he saving money by having u there instead of hiring another worker?...Just curious.

Your right, you are always on the losing end, when you work for a husband and wife TEAM(key word). They have a hard time looking at anything objectively and they tend not to own there own mistakes, they make it about everyone else. I would advise anyone to stay away from this type of setting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

M.J in Cheshire, Connecticut

63 months ago

Rosie in Spokane, Washington said: Jess--Congratulations! In my opinion, there is nothing in the world more important than the health of your baby, or your own peace of mind. For that reason, I would say don't expose yourself to nitrous or xrays. Then, if something DID go wrong down the road, at least you would have the peace of mind that it was not something preventable. If you were my daughter, that would be my advice. As an office manager (and wife, so I know that makes me a little suspect), I would advise you also to see things from the employer's viewpoint. How will your new situation affect the flow of work in the office? Production? Co-workers? Let your boss know what is going on ASAP, and your feelings, and that you are aware that this will be a problem. Ask if there is some way to minimize the negative effects on the practice. Are you willing to assume some other tasks if co-workers have to pick up the slack? If you are costing the practice money, are you willing to take a cut in pay for the duration? At this time we actually have a hygienist who is pregnant, and she is not taking xrays. This is costing the practice quite a bit, being a one-assistant office. Though she is helping with other tasks whenever possible, I would have appreciated it if she would have acknowledged that the situation would have some effects on co-workers and production. She just matter-of-factly said, "I need to let you know I'm pregnant, and my doctor told me not to take any xrays." I would just advise you to be a little more graceful about it--let the Dr. know you have his interests in mind, too. Best wishes! (ps: Our last assistant took xrays all through her pregnancy and had a healthy baby last year. She didn't even tell us she was pregnant until her 6th month...)

I find it interesting that you use guilt in your forum
to try to change this individuals mind set. We all know nothing is more important then the holy God that is prayed to at dental offices. Product

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

M.J in Cheshire, Connecticut

63 months ago

Lana in San Francisco, California said: I was wondering how safe or unsafe is to take x-rays wile being pregnant? Is it ok to refuse?

Please ask your medical doctor !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M.J in Cheshire, Connecticut

63 months ago

Lisa said: I work in a office that uses nitrous. I have asked several doctors about the hazards and effects. My doctor said to stay in another room when it is being used and not assist with it at all. But specificly aviod it after your first trimester. Then if you have to be around it without directly assisting use your mask so you do not inhale it. But after your first trimester. Unfortunately there is not that much information about it other than when you are in your first and early second trimester that it can cause spontaneous abortion. But i feel if you aviod it as much as possible take your prenatal and other supplements for your babies nutrition and pray on it. Your baby will be healthy. Always consult your doctor though and when you have your sonograms they will look for things like that to. Try not to worry to much even after consulting your doctorbecausethat can cause anxiety, stress and that affects your baby to. My prayers are with you hope I could be of help. Oh thesecond thing is dental radio graphs the radiation is very minimal and should not affect your baby. Just continue to use proper PPE and protocol like steping outside of the room when taking the films. But i wouldn't worry about it, if you are doing so. God bless!! Have a beautiful day!

Your right about nitrous. There are to many offices were this substance could be leaking or ventalated poorly. I think I heard that even if the mask does not fit tight enough then there could be problems

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dental2 in Camarillo, California

63 months ago

I am 4 weeks pregnant, I have been takinx x-rays, I am standing behind a wall, but is just a regular wall, and I am not wearing an apron is thst o.k for the baby?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

nicolerk in Benton, Arkansas

61 months ago

I work at a dental office where most of our patients are high fear and use N20 for all of their procedures (including cleanings). My husband and I want to try to have our first child and I am terrified that something will go wrong. I think my dentist would understand that I can't be around N20, but we have a small office and only 2 assistants - it would pretty much be impossible for me to not assist on any N20 patients. I really don't want to quit my job, but I really want to have a healthy pregnancy and baby. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RDA in Grants Pass, Oregon

61 months ago

n202 can cause spontaneous abortion...I would absolutly not assist w/ N202 pt's. I am now 6 months pregnant and my Dr. totally understood the N202 issue. Their are only 2 of us assisting and the other assist. has to take the N202 pt's...it can be a pain, but if u look at pt. charts the night before or early AM u can plan your pt's as accordinly as poss. u may have to clean the other assistants room and help her out extra since she gets stuck doing a little extra w/ the n202 pt's somtimes.I wouldnt worry about it if your trying to concieve, but as soon as u find out your pregnant u should stop assisting N202 pt's. There's alot of proof out there to back up that pregnant woman should not be working w/ N202 pt's.If your boss has a problem w/ this he cannot fire you - that would be discrimination, but he may find a job up front for u or somewere alse in the office if things arnt working out...good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDA in Grants Pass, Oregon

61 months ago

dental2 in Camarillo, California said: I am 4 weeks pregnant, I have been takinx x-rays, I am standing behind a wall, but is just a regular wall, and I am not wearing an apron is thst o.k for the baby?

that shouldnt be a problem if your behind the wall or enough feet away....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mslips in Wenatchee, Washington

61 months ago

Lana in San Francisco, California said: I was wondering how safe or unsafe is to take x-rays wile being pregnant? Is it ok to refuse?

The law states you must be 6 feet away from the source.. If there are doubts or concerns, wear a lead apron. The dentist you work for knows what is acceptable.
Refusing probably isn't an option unless you have a note from your physician.
I have worked with many pregnant women through the years who use this as an excuse to not do a procedure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DMD in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

X-ray exposure in all offices that have passed inspections is so very low that if you take the usual precautions of stepping away or out of the room during the exposure you will have nothing at all to worry about. If you are concerned, wear a radiation detecting badge and see how safe you are. Laying out in the sun will cause more radiation exposure than working in your office.

Nitrous oxide, contrary to some previous posts, is not a toxic gas at office levels. It cannot cause birth defects but in long-use overdoses (the mask is on your face and the nitrous is turned way up) it will deprive your brain of oxygen. There has been shown to be a slightly higher incidence of miscarriages in DA's who assist with nitrous, so if you feel uncomfortable you have every right to decline to assist in those cases.

I am a female dentist with two healthy children and I worked up to birth with both of them. I did not work with nitrous but I was comfortable taking x-rays with the usual precautions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Charleston, South Carolina

61 months ago

1. If you are pregnant or are planning for pregnancy, use all the x-ray precautions you were taught in school, then double them.
2. If you are in a digital xray office continue the same precautions. There is a misconception that by using Digital X-ray you are less exposed. In fact you are, however with
Digital, you tend to retake more exposuers because you were told there is less dose. Raditation is cumulative. You can fill the glass one drop at a time or all at once, your choice !
Insist with your dentist owner, that you want an Xray monitor badge and have it tested quartly. He owes it to the safety of his staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lakeisha in Clinton Township, Michigan

60 months ago

Mercy in Merrillville, Indiana said: You can still work in the back office just don't take x-rays. I did my job as I normally would, I just excluded x-rays from my day. I'm sure the Dentist that you work for will understand...If not oh well...he can't fire you, it would be against the law.

That is true. I'm actually a victim who works in a dental office as a dental assistant, and my boss told me that i can not come back to work until my boss order me a special apron. I told her I can still do my normal job, I just wont take x-rays. My boss replied sorry but there is nothing else for u to do. I think that that should be against the law too. I have rent to pay along with bills, plus a kid and one on the way. I need to make all the money I can. What should I do because when that special apron comes in I still will refuse to take x-rays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DMD in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Lakeisha, if you really want (need) to continue working in that office, you will have to do the duties they need you to do. There is no reason why you can't take x-rays, especially if you have a special apron to wear (overkill, really.) Look at this situation from another angle. Consider that YOU may be the unreasonable one in this situation: it is very generous of the office to be purchasing a costly and unnecessary piece of equipment just so you can can feel good about continuing to work there. If you still won't take radiographs with all the accommodations they are making for you, then you should tell them before they spend so much money on it, otherwise you won't be getting a decent letter of recommendation from them for your next job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CDA5587 in Bernalillo, New Mexico

60 months ago

I am pregnant yet but I am planning on getting pregnant soon. I work for a mobile dental unit that goes around to different schools in the area providing dental care to little kids who can't afford to go to the dentist. My concern is my work environment is all contained on a 53 foot trailer and we use x-rays and also Nitrous. If I were to become pregnant should I worry about this? I don't really have anywhere to go if we use nitrous or take x-rays. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tom in Bonita Springs, Florida

60 months ago

Use all protocals learned in school. In addition,have your owner provide you with a Nitros Oxide Vapor Monitor and a Fetal Radiation Monitor. IC Care Company can provide these services through the dental distributors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

abby one in Saint Paul, Minnesota

54 months ago

I am a dental assistant that works for a dentist that uses nitrous oxide with a lot patients. my question is that Im pregnant and my co-worker urges me to work with patients that are using nitrous oxide but I already have had one miscarriage. From some things I have researched I shouldn't be around nitrous gas, this is true? she has made comments that I need to work with the patients using nitrous or it could mean losing my job. could I get fired over this? Im so confused and dont want to harm my pregnancy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RDA in Grants Pass, Oregon

54 months ago

You should NOT be working on pt's using N202.The other assistant worked whenever there ws a nitrous pt and then I would clean her room or do whatever I could do to help her if she had to work on my pt. The Dr. was understanding... I would have refused if otherwise.It is not worth losing your baby...and u could make a complaint if ur Dr doesnt comply w/ u.He could probably get in big trouble. Oh and by the way, the other assistant u work with may want to do her homework, she obviously is a fool that doesnt know what she is talking about! FYI: Xrays are OK to take, just make sure u are always out of the room..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDA in Grants Pass, Oregon

54 months ago

sarah in Romeoville, Illinois said: Hi i had about the same question i see up. i just found out im pregnant am about 4 to 5 weeks . i work in a dental office and i took a little girls x-rays (1single x-ray) i stayed in the room unprotected and had the other assistant press the button wile i held it in place . now im worried sick that something will be wrong with my baby .

When I first was pregnant and didnt know, I stood in the room while my Dr. took aprox 4 - 5 xrays on an endo pt (which actually kind of upset me that he had me stand in there..)and my baby was born perfectly normal. She is now 5 months old and very healthy and adorable, if I do say so myself :> Hope this helps u feel better...but absolutly no more standing in the room!! By the way, its OK to take Xrays if ur prego, just stay out of the room and use normal precautions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marilyn in Tracy, California

54 months ago

TIna in Penn Valley, California said: DO NOT BE IN THE SAME OFFICE AS NITRIOUS OXIDE , WHILE PREGNANT AT ALL!!

You can be in the office just not in the same room

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nika

53 months ago

I was fired the same day I informed my Dr I was pregnant. I told him that I didn't fell comfortable taking xrays. He fired me 1hr after that. I live in Ga and they have a at will state law. Meaning they can fire you for any reason and really don't have to have a reason. I called a lawyer and I didn't have a case because the office I worked in had less than 15 employees. If, there was more that 15 I would have a case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

53 months ago

nika said: I was fired the same day I informed my Dr I was pregnant. I told him that I didn't fell comfortable taking xrays. He fired me 1hr after that. I live in Ga and they have a at will state law. Meaning they can fire you for any reason and really don't have to have a reason. I called a lawyer and I didn't have a case because the office I worked in had less than 15 employees. If, there was more that 15 I would have a case.

Sounds crazy - I don't think they can fire you for being pregnant. Even if it is an "at will" state. So is Illinois, but you cannot fired someone for their race, creed or medical conditions.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.