Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 666)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What are typical dental assistant salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

myredrose1974 in Vermilion, OH

95 months ago

range from 8.00 to 11.00 here in ohio, and it all depends on the dcotors, cuz they are sure all different!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

msreeta2004@yahoo.com in Miami, FL

94 months ago

Here in Georgia the pay ranges from 10.00-15.00 per hour. If you are expanded duty certified the pay can be 15.00 + due based on your experiences with temporaries crown and bridges. Depends upon the location of the office of employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yolanda Williams in Denver, CO

94 months ago

The pay in Denver Colorado can range from 15.00 and up depending on experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angelagwalthney@yahoo.com in Philadelphia, PA

94 months ago

Angela said: it depends on your experiance, and the location, but most important it depends on the doctor you are working for. But mostly all of the dentist I have worked for are all NUTS, and every dental assistant that I have met will agree with me. It also has to do with the staff, you have to be able to fit in with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in St Louis, Missouri

93 months ago

The (licsenced) dental assistant's in Saint Louis, MO make anyway from 10.00 to 25.00 an hour depending on experience. If you get in a bigger company that take care of their employees, you can sometimes find $20.00/hour or so. (with experience of course).

You can become an expanded functions dental assistant to make more money. This is expensive, but very good and lucrative for your dentist. You can also keep up and over exceed your continuing education standards set by the Dental Assisting National Board. Also, check out the ADAA (American Dental Assistants Assoc.) website at www.dentalassistant.org/ they have a lot of good ideas for making yourself more useful in your office. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

codeblue1914@yahoo.com in Fort Worth, Texas

93 months ago

Don't work for Monarch if you are looking to get paid.This company will short you every chance they get

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

angelagwalthney@yahoo.com in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

What is Monarch? Is it some kind of company in Texas? And do you need to be XR certified in Texas? I am from PA and we need to be xr certified in our state, but it is only good in PA, how about Texas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

codeblue1914@yahoo.com in Irving, Texas

93 months ago

Monarch dental is in Texas and other states it is a part of bright now dental who bought monarch dental,castle dental and other dental companies.In texas you have to have X-ray, jurisprudence and infetion control to be certified or DANB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angelagwalthney@yahoo.com in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

So what is the pay like in Texas? I think there is a Bright Dental in the PA area,and are the Dentist in Texas, are they as crazy as the ones in Philadelphia? I have worked for dental students, as well as dentist with 30 years under thier belt and they are all INSANE!! And how schooling do you guys have to complete? I find this stuff very interesting, not that I am thinking about moving to Texas anytime soon. And one more thing my husband has been a Dallas Cowboys fan all of his life!! He gets alot of abuse from the Philly fans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

codeblue1914@yahoo.com in Irving, Texas

93 months ago

the pay sucks with this company.Private practice you can get 10.00-22.00 hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angelagwalthney@yahoo.com in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

Private practices are the same in the philly area,I worked at a place like that , and it was the same way, but HOW ARE THE DENTISTS out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emma in Stamford, Connecticut

93 months ago

angelagwalthney@yahoo.com said: So what is the pay like in Texas? I think there is a Bright Dental in the PA area,and are the Dentist in Texas, are they as crazy as the ones in Philadelphia? I have worked for dental students, as well as dentist with 30 years under thier belt and they are all INSANE!! And how schooling do you guys have to complete? I find this stuff very interesting, not that I am thinking about moving to Texas anytime soon. And one more thing my husband has been a Dallas Cowboys fan all of his life!! He gets alot of abuse from the Philly fans.

Try doing some searches on the Indeed Salary Search. Here's a search I did for Dental Assistant in Texas: www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Dental+Assistant&l1=Texas&tm=1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jacquelyn in Brooklyn, New York

93 months ago

I made 33,280 in Florida. I just moved to new york, so...we'll see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

93 months ago

Take a look at the Indeed Salary Search. Here's a search I did for Dental Assistant in New York:
www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Dental+Assistant&l1=New+York&tm=1

The average salaries for job titles with the keywords "Dental Assistant" show an average of $37K. However, take a look at the related job title averages. For instance you'll see that the average salary for a Dental Assistant RDA is around $45K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kitttheory in Vashon, Washington

92 months ago

Ha! I went on my first interview after graduating from a dental assisting program and the dentist told me I should pay HIM to train me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Sydney, Florida

90 months ago

jacquelyn in Brooklyn, New York

2 months ago
I made 33,280 in Florida. I just moved to new york, so...we'll see.

Reply - Flag for review

Do you mind me asking why you moved from Fl to NY?
Was your experience as a DA in FL favorable?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Sydney, Florida

90 months ago

That is nice to hear that you ahd a pleaant experience. Good luck to you if you pursue Dental Hygiene!!! It just seems that here in FL you have to have EFDA and all sorts of other req that were not necessary in the mIdwest. I find it frustrating. Thanks for your reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tracy in Cary, North Carolina

90 months ago

I live in Cary North Carolina, the pay here is $18.00-22.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Edna Lee in Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

I am new to this field I have high hopes about making alot of money. Reading the comments of some of the Dental Assistants is however discouraging..I hope my experience with different practices will not keep me from living my dream...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christy in Lady Lake, Florida

89 months ago

jacquelyn said: I made 33,280 in Florida. I just moved to new york, so...we'll see.

Hi i am about to start the dental assistant program. I live in central florida. What do you think the starting pay is for that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacquelyn in Texarkana, Texas

89 months ago

I'd say 12-14 an hour to start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Edna Lee in Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

The pay should b between $11.00 and $16.00...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jen in Campbellsville, Kentucky

89 months ago

Does anyone have any experience with Dental Assisting schools in Norfolk/Va Beach area. What schools are any good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marina in Vancouver, British Columbia

88 months ago

Hello everyone.
I'm from Canada (Alberta) I wish to move to Austin, Texas. Could someone please tell me what qualifications I need to be a dental assistant there. I have 20 years experience
I am a Registered Dental Assistant. I can take xrays,impressions,prophylaxis,flouride
treatment/pack gingival retraction cord/
do pit and fissure sealants.I have computer
and front end experience.I am currently working on my orthodontis module cerification.I have worked for a Prosodontist in Edmonton and learned alot about crown and bridgework.Please respond.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Hello everyone.
I'm from Canada (Alberta) I wish to move to Austin, Texas. Could someone please tell me what qualifications I need to be a dental assistant there. I have 20 years experience
I am a Registered Dental Assistant. I can take xrays,impressions,prophylaxis,flouride
treatment/pack gingival retraction cord/
do pit and fissure sealants.I have computer
and front end experience.I am currently working on my orthodontis module cerification.I have worked for a Prosodontist in Edmonton and learned alot about crown and bridgework.Please respond.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cherry in Des Moines, Iowa

88 months ago

Wow 20 years of dental assisting experience and a Registered dental assistant.. You might want to check out TSBE (TEXAS STATE BOARD OF DENTAL EXAMINERS) Make sure you read the qualifications and something about being granfathered. With 20 years of dental assistant experince and all the other credentials that you have is going to be a plus. I have lived in Houston,TX about 2 hours drive from Austin and currently moved here to IOWA. Like they say, it also depends on the dentist that you do work for. I have been a dental assistant for 4 years and was told that if you not only do back office but front office as well is really going to get you the bug bucks. But I must warn you tho... the registration from Cnada might vary in the U.S. Im just not so sure about that one. Like I said try going to www.tsbde.org or if that doesnt work type in "TSBDE" in the yahoo search bar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal lynn, Up State NY in Catskill, New York

88 months ago

Im 22 I recently moved from Port Saint lucie Florida where i first wanted to become a dental assistant. There the average pay was 15-22 per hour hear i make 9 an hour i am not certified But want to be. I thought with experiance i could just take some sort of test and wala, benefits 401k easy hours and a career i can go any where and never have to worry about a dead end job. im moving back to florida in 6 months can the dentist deam me certified? for 9 an hour and no benefits im really working for thr expereance any one have any good advice? This Job is nothing but hard work it has to pay off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jacquelyn in White Hall, Arkansas

88 months ago

You need your expanded functions. Some doctors will pay for you to take the class. Some wont. Your pay basically depends on your ability to make temporaries. Can yOU? You also will soon need a radiography license in the state of Florida. I started out making $12 an hr. Now two years later am at 16, but have made $20 an hour temping. You need your expanded functions, otherwise you're just a suction holder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sally in St.Louis in O Fallon, Missouri

88 months ago

I have been a dental assistant for 23 years, (expanded function for the last 3 years), I started out making $8.50 per hour and now I make $25 per hour. You really have to be in it for the long haul. I have to agree that ALL dentists are completely INSANE, but I like the girls I work with, and I love my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angela in Bridgeport, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

I have been a dental assistant for 10 years and it is so very true all dentists are INSANE, why is that?? but if you get along with the staff, then things are great, and I work with the best staff in the world!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tamra in Albuquerque, New Mexico

87 months ago

I am looking to get into dental assisting in Colorado where should I start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

In MN, dental assistants start at 16-18 an hour, there are not many DA, most doctors will only hire RDA or CRDAs, that is a 1-2 year program depending on where you go... I heard in Colorado you are able to make good money and can do a lot of expanded functions, Ive heard, but dont know if its true, you are able to do whatever your doctor wants to teach you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine in Westerville, Ohio

87 months ago

hi i just got offered a job straight out of dental assisting school with a huge office. they are paying me $14 with just my radiology license, then $15 when i get my CDA, and then $18 when i get my RDA. I plan to have my RDA by the end of the summer. The office also offers full benefits, 401k, and flexible spending account. needless to say...I am there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Jackson, New Jersey

87 months ago

I have been a Dental Assistant for about 3 years. I just got my CDA and RDA and am making $16.50/hour working in Ortho. I think you make more money working in the specialties if you have expanded functions. My office is wonderful, and so is my boss. I have worked for my share of crazy dentists though!! I did temping for a while and have had some strange experiences. In NJ, an RDA can make over $30/hour if he/she finds the right dentist...I'm so thankful I found this career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Richmond, British Columbia

87 months ago

I am interested in working as an RDA in Edmonton Alberta Canada and am wondering if it is possible to work in a dentists office while going to school?

Elizabeth in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

myredrose1974 in Vermilion, OH said: range from 8.00 to 11.00 here in ohio, and it all depends on the dcotors, cuz they are sure all different!

I am a dental assistant and just passed my exams for RDA today in fact...(go me)

but, I started out with NO exp and had on the job training at 15.00 and hour. I now make 21.18 and hour and will be getting a raise again b/c i passed mt RDA. Average is 20-25 an hour and if you decide to get into oral surgey....they start at about 20 an hour! Its good money,and you DONT have to go to school to be a dental assistant here in Texas. I also have benifits,and 401k. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

I almost forgot...for you girls who are about to take the RDA...It was super easy and you can take it all in one day! Some places offer the tests with out any lectures and some have a one day 8 hour class and some have a 4 day event class plus testing! You just have to research. Dont settle what ever you do! I paid $185 for all 3 tests together and I did not get the study material(you really dont need it if you pay attention in class) Good luck to youand good luck on your RDA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Raquel

87 months ago

I am about to start classes to become a RDA, But I am so scared, I have been out of school for 14 years and I Finally have the Chance to Go to School and learn how to become one. My question is How much math is involved? I am not to good with math but I am willing to take a math class to brush up a little. But I heard that all you have to do is pay attention in class and you will pass The Texas State Board
Dental Examiners, But I am in it for the Long Haul because this is something I want to do.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks Ladies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynsey in Havertown, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

I live in New Jersey. I only have 3 1/2 years experience and my x-ray license and I make 18 dollars an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

benjaml in Miami, Florida

87 months ago

jacquelyn in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I loved being an assistant in Florida. I moved to NY because I went through a breakup. I'm actually back down south now, and am going to look into Dental hygiene school.

May i ask was there a waiting list when you did the dental assistant

angela in Haverford, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

hey how did u go about getting your xr cert in new jersy and if you did how much was it?????? and do you have one for the state of PA, thanks angela

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in North Bergen, New Jersey

87 months ago

Go to school in Fairfield NJ, 973-808-1666, $ 625.00, examination $60.00, state license $40.00, you need also the sponsor of a dentist to do the practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Jackson, New Jersey

87 months ago

If you are in Central Jersey I highly recommend Dental Assistant Services for schooling. Gail Scarola is the BEST!! The website www.dentalassistantservices.com can answer any questions. She is the owner/teacher of the school and is extremely well respected in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meh in Newark, New Jersey

86 months ago

nancy in North Bergen, New Jersey said: Go to school in Fairfield NJ, 973-808-1666, $ 625.00, examination $60.00, state license $40.00, you need also the sponsor of a dentist to do the practice.

how long would it take to get the x-ray license in nj? could you get the license in 2-3 months or does it take much longer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

nancy in North Bergen, New Jersey

86 months ago

Meh in Newark, New Jersey said: how long would it take to get the x-ray license in nj? could you get the license in 2-3 months or does it take much longer?

In my case... it took me 5 months (between school, clinical, examination)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marian in wisconsin in Appleton, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Sally in St.Louis in O Fallon, Missouri said: I have been a dental assistant for 23 years, (expanded function for the last 3 years), I started out making $8.50 per hour and now I make $25 per hour. You really have to be in it for the long haul. I have to agree that ALL dentists are completely INSANE, but I like the girls I work with, and I love my job.

Sally in St. Louis I have been a dental assistant for 20 years. I make 18.00 an hour. I also get a sep Ira, 2 weeks paid vacation, holiday pay, and health insurance for my self. What kind of benifits are you ladies receiving and are any of you salary??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Greetings from Alberta,
Yes, you can work as a student in a dental practice as long as you find the right employer. In the office I work at we have a dental asssisting student working chair side with the Dr. Let me know how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jen in Ottawa, Ontario

86 months ago

I am from Ottawa Ontario, i just started working as a dental assistant and i started at 13.00 hr but i get full benefits and a bonus between 200 and 300 dollars a month, which works out to being paid around 14 or 15 dollars an hr. hopefully over time i will get payed more, i am going to write my ndaeb, hoping that will increase my salary. i was wondering though is there a want for dental assists in alberta around the lake louise/ banff area??? if someone could answer that question that would be great.... also how much do they pay out there???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

kathleen in Coamo, Puerto Rico

86 months ago

I am studying dental assistant with expanded functions in Puerto Rico the school name is Ponce Paramedical college, I have a question that nobody really answer me straight. I am planning to move in NY after I graduate so I can be near with my family, I am wondering if I can preform everything I studied here in PR to NY. And i am also wondering how much i will get paid starting and is it worth it going to school for EFDA? I hope I can get answer ASAP. thank you and I appreciate it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.