how to become RDA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 74)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Miranda in Santa Clara, California

93 months ago

Hi,

My friend is a licensed dentist in the philippines, she just migrated to California, what are the requirements to become a registered dental assistant?

Thanks,

Miranda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (154) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

sheryl in Las Vegas, Nevada

92 months ago

kumusta! I'm a dental assistant, and I would like to become a RDA. Could u please tell me what are the requirements to become one? thank u!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (196) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth campoy in San Jose, California

92 months ago

Im dental assistant,and i would like to become RDA could you please tell me what are the requirements? thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (138) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in East Taunton, Massachusetts

91 months ago

sheryl in Las Vegas, Nevada said: kumusta! I'm a dental assistant, and I would like to become a RDA. Could u please tell me what are the requirements to become one? thank u!

Not sure in Nevada, But in Massachusetts you work under a dentist for two years before taking the certification test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Leeanne in Canton, Massachusetts

90 months ago

Nancy in East Taunton, Massachusetts said: Not sure in Nevada, But in Massachusetts you work under a dentist for two years before taking the certification test.

I'm in Taunton, MA also and I will be attending a 16 week Certified dental assistant course at the end of July. Then I will have to take a 2 day Radiology certification course and CPR course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

REBECA in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

I HAVE BEEN IN THE DENTAL FIELD FOR 6 YEARS AND I WOULD LIKE TO BECOME AN RDA I HAVE BEEN MOST OF THE TIME IN THE FRONT OFFICE BUT I WANT TO HAVE MORE KNOWLEDGE I HAVE EXPIRIENCE TAKING X-RAYS,CHAIRSIDE ASSISTANT FOR EXTRACTIONS,FOR HYGENE,STERILIZATION,THAT IS THE MOST. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Valerie

88 months ago

For those of you who have the experience already and want to be a licensed registered dental assistant in California, all you have to do is work for a year in a dental office and get the employer /dentist to sign the form to take the RDA test. and pass the test .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

This is the last year that you can use work experience in lieu of a certified school to become a RDA. In California you need either work experience or certified school, x-rays license, coronal polishing license and a Live Scan (background check). All of this information can be found on the Dental Auxiliary web site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

corina in Seattle, Washington

85 months ago

hello, i wanna take a dental assistant training in philippines... i wonder is it count if i work in USA or i need to go to school again in usa b4 i work.. pls give me an answer thank u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shilla in Moreno Valley, California

85 months ago

I went to school in california ,and i need to take RDA test in Orlando,how and wre do i have to go? and is my lisence accepted in orlando?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey

85 months ago

hello Miranda, I came from the Philippines also. I graduated from CEU in 1983. I had a lot of classmates that moved to California and from what I heard, your friend can actually take the board exam for dentistry without going back to school. Unlike NJ and NY, they require 2 more years of school before taking the board exams which I didn't do. Over here, I took the test for CDA then took a few wks course to become a RDA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sim in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

84 months ago

I am frim IL, I want to know if RDA test is hard. I am in Dental Assistant program right now. It takes 6 months to complete the course than take a RDA test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shilla in Moreno Valley, California

84 months ago

What do u have to do to become RDA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kenniana in Tampa, Florida

83 months ago

I am curenntly living in Florida. But i plan to move back to boston,massachusetts. If i went to school here in tampa would i able to work as a dental assistant in massachusetts. Plesea Help!!! Will greatly apperiate it. My eamil is princess892.boss@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

susan in San Diego, California

83 months ago

Valerie said: For those of you who have the experience already and want to be a licensed registered dental assistant in California, all you have to do is work for a year in a dental office and get the employer /dentist to sign the form to take the RDA test. and pass the test .

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION, BUT WHAT FORM ARE YOU TAKING ABOUT? I'VE BEEN IN MY OFFICE FOR 10 yrs.AND NOW I'M ABLE TO MOVE UP SO I REALY NEED THE HELP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rimona

82 months ago

Leeanne in Canton, Massachusetts said: I'm in Taunton, MA also and I will be attending a 16 week Certified dental assistant course at the end of July. Then I will have to take a 2 day Radiology certification course and CPR course.

Congratulations to you...I wish you much success ...hopefully, you are going to do well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in Boston, Massachusetts

82 months ago

Ladies,
If you take a course you should get your radiology certificate and CPR. If not the course is not a good one I have worked with tons of CDA and they don't know jack. In easton they have a good program to be a CDA it's 9 months. If not cape Cod has a good Radiology class through video, and falmouth fire Dept has a Good CPR course as a healthcare provider.

Diane in Boxford, Massachusetts

82 months ago

Leeanne in Canton, Massachusetts said: I'm in Taunton, MA also and I will be attending a 16 week Certified dental assistant course at the end of July. Then I will have to take a 2 day Radiology certification course and CPR course.

Interested in where your taking this course? I live on the NorthShore and not finding this available. Did you have to work with a DMD for 2 years? I just completed the 2 day Radiology certification course and exam today.at TUFTS DENTAL SCHOOL in Boston.

Jenna in Liverpool, United Kingdom

82 months ago

I am currently working as a dental assistant in england, but i am very interested in doing it in america, does anybody know how i would go by working as a dental assistant in america? if you can help please email me at xjennaxpx@hotmail.com

Joe Elizaga in Monterey, California

82 months ago

I think I read that in the United States, you can just get paid dental assistant experience for a year under a licensed dentist then take a test. Many dentists hire non-RDA,as long as the have an X Ray License.

Check www.comda.ca.gov/exam_rda.html

Its a California government website, so I am sure about CA but not sure about the other states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Pinoy din nga pala ako. Graduated from DLSU-CSB BS Business Management...biggest mistake of my life. I should of just studied Dentistry from the get-go! But it is never to late to go back to school!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

hi Joe, Are you thinking of going to dental school? I graduated in CEU 1983,college of dentistry. Working in a dental office here for 16 years now, not bad, but I think I would have gone to nursing, like the salary better.

Diane in Boxford, Massachusetts

82 months ago

I have been working as dental assistant for six months.Recently received a radiology certification.I presently live in Massachusetts on the north shore but plan to move to Naples FL. within the next few months.I want to get certified/licensed,as a dental assistant. Does anyone know if there are any schools or programs in the Naples area? Also I have heard you must work for a licensed dentist for one or two years before you can take the course.If this is correct can you accumulate time worked under different dentists? Thanks for any help

82 months ago

Hi Ms.Josie,a very pinay name... are you a Dentist,RDH,DA? 1983 makes you in the 46-48 year old range,am I correct po ba?

Yes, I have plans on becoming a DDS or DMD, when I find out the difference I will tell you!hahaha

My Lola is a Dentist in Cubao, Lola Miling, and Uncle Zalde, and his wife, and an Aunt.

Anyway, The schools where I inquired require at least a years experience as a Dental Assistant and a couple subjects. I am currently reviewing so I will take CLEP exams for most of the prerequisite subjects without lab and will soon be getting the Radiology Safety Certificate.

Since I am going to be a dad soon(asa manila wife ko,I cant wait to go home this May), I will go first for Dental Hygienist coz it only takes two years and from what I have read, the pay is puwede na. I am here in California.

When my wife is working na rin here, I will slowly try for becoming a Dentist.

I was thinking of becoming an LVN at first then an RN but I read that you have to start as an CNA or something. Plus, the nurse life is just not for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Diane in Boxford, Massachusetts said: I have been working as dental assistant for six months.Recently received a radiology certification.I presently live in Massachusetts on the north shore but plan to move to Naples FL. within the next few months.I want to get certified/licensed,as a dental assistant. Does anyone know if there are any schools or programs in the Naples area? Also I have heard you must work for a licensed dentist for one or two years before you can take the course.If this is correct can you accumulate time worked under different dentists? Thanks for any help

<h1>Diane, Check www.comda.ca.gov/exam_rda.html

It says that you can work under a licensed dentist for one year instead of taking a program ala OJT then get a RDA exam.

But check the site again, I think the American and California boards are the same but not sure...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

hey Joe, No, I didn't go to school here,I was older when I came over and it was a matter of choosing bet. a career or family back then ,and I chose family. I have 2 boys(14 & 7 y.o.).Plus, different rules in NJ, have to go to school for 2 more years,which makes sense,PI requires 6 yrs only while 8 years here. But, good luck with the studies, yeah hygienist makes a lot,(35-40/hr. here) and good luck with the baby. Here's my email address if u need a friend in NJ(ha ha), jopaydmd@yahoo.com, I have a lot of family in california, thinking of going there maybe next year,want to take the kids to Disneyland, of course. keep me posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nina in Long Beach, California

81 months ago

i want to become rda but i have not take test yet how to pass the rda test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

susan in Spring Valley, California

81 months ago

Jenna in Liverpool, United Kingdom said: I am currently working as a dental assistant in england, but i am very interested in doing it in america, does anybody know how i would go by working as a dental assistant in america? if you can help please email me at xjennaxpx@hotmail.com

you can work threw an agency for dental .They have advertising in the newspapers, where ever you may want to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lee Anna in San Clemente, California

81 months ago

Good Evening Everyone! I'm a Registered Dental Assistant in Southern California and we are getting ready to retire from the Military and move to my husband's home state of Mass.! Could any of you tell me how I go about getting licensed in the state of Mass.? I've tried the website and it says what I need but not how to go about getting it! Thanks so much everyone!

Lee Anna :-}

angela in Weymouth, Massachusetts

80 months ago

Elizabeth campoy in San Jose, California said: Im dental assistant,and i would like to become RDA could you please tell me what are the requirements? thank you.

can you please email me how are can become RDA. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shyla in Manteca, California

80 months ago

REBECA in Los Angeles, California said: I HAVE BEEN IN THE DENTAL FIELD FOR 6 YEARS AND I WOULD LIKE TO BECOME AN RDA I HAVE BEEN MOST OF THE TIME IN THE FRONT OFFICE BUT I WANT TO HAVE MORE KNOWLEDGE I HAVE EXPIRIENCE TAKING X-RAYS,CHAIRSIDE ASSISTANT FOR EXTRACTIONS,FOR HYGENE,STERILIZATION,THAT IS THE MOST. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

all you have to do is go to the COMDA website, and you could attend classes at Dental Specialties through Suzie Dault she is so great and fun! It isnt too exspensive, and it is quick. first you need an xray license then coronal polishing and then you fill out the comda registration form for your RDA exam. then if you were really smart you will find a short course to help prep you for the BIG Exam :) Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

angela in Weymouth, Massachusetts

80 months ago

Thank you very much.

Angela

Amanda Lopez

79 months ago

I finished school to become a dental assistant and now I would like to take my tests to become and RDA but I dont know when and where the tests are? I also need to know pricing as well. Thank you,
Amanda Lopez

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Grand Prairie, Texas

79 months ago

here check this website for state specific requirment for RDA all over the USa I hope this will work for all of you.best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Lopez

79 months ago

thank you very much

Paula in Wareham, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Rimona said: Congratulations to you...I wish you much success ...hopefully, you are going to do well

I would like to take the dental assistant course where is it offered in Taunton?

ann in Dallas, Texas

77 months ago

ann in Dallas, Texas

77 months ago

I hope this will you to get information you need.check this website www.danb.org/Main/statespecificinfo.asp
best of luck.....

Jane Hofman

77 months ago

Where do you go to get a radiology certificate or certification? I'm in Ga. Thanks

susan in Spring Valley, California

77 months ago

the school your going to should have all the information you need if it is a good school.

rachel in San Clemente, California

77 months ago

Im in cali, ill have my DA in Jan 09, I have my x-ray license, Ive worked with my Dr. for a year and a half. SO to get my RDA I need to just get my coronal polishing Lic. and take the written and practical test? Right? COMA site is very confusing to me so thats why Im asking here. lol
How hard is the RDA test by the way?

nina in Long Beach, California

77 months ago

how u discribe your worst experience with pt

mau in Corona, New York

77 months ago

hello im also a dentist from phils, and im curently working as a dental assistant here in her, and assistant here is not making much money, and its hard to im dying to become registered dentist here in US soon, but theres a lot of test to take and the worst is i need to go back to school for 2-3 years. i heard in cali u just have to take exam and thats it no need to go back to school, but just recently they change it that u also need to go back to school in cali. but u know that we could take dental hygienist exam and practice as hygienist in florida...

Tonya in Logan, Utah

76 months ago

i am taking a CDA course in utah and i am from cali and i want to go back but would i have to be a RDA to work there? or can i just use my CDA?

icy in Carmichael, California

74 months ago

hello Mau,i'm also a foreign trained dentist and can imagine your feelings on going back to sch for 2-3yrs...not to talk of the fees. i'm searching to see how i can work as a dental assistant in CA and am becoming equally discouraged at that....
icy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

frankie in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Lee Anna in San Clemente, California said: Good Evening Everyone! I'm a Registered Dental Assistant in Southern California and we are getting ready to retire from the Military and move to my husband's home state of Mass.! Could any of you tell me how I go about getting licensed in the state of Mass.? I've tried the website and it says what I need but not how to go about getting it! Thanks so much everyone!

Lee Anna :-}

hi! i'm frankie, i do not have the answer to your questuion, but i would like to ask you how did you become Registered Dental Assistant, like what test did you take and other stuff.
Godd like to your plans!

anna in Palo Alto, California

73 months ago

Im a dental assistant for almost 3 years without a license,and i would like to become RDA could you please tell me what are the requirements? thank you.

jackie in Beaverton, Oregon

73 months ago

im doing my externship right know and as soon as im done im moving to southern california, should i get my radiology certification. i hear that it wont count in cali.can anyone tell me if you have to work for 2 years before you can become rda certified. i heared it was 5 years.can anyone give me helpful info about what should i do when i move down to the san fernando valley area. i need some good advice please. thankyou.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joni in Seattle, Washington

73 months ago

What school did you go?

Sonia in San Fernando, California

71 months ago

I need information where can I take a short course to be a dental assistant. Also if any dental office offer a weeks training and give you a certificate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.